Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,432 members, 7,808,545 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:16 PM

Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception (8283 Views)

The Misconception About Votes From Northern Nigeria / Here Is The Man That Caused Disunity Among Yoruba And Igbo People / FFK: "Nnamdi Kanu Kept On Naval Warship Off The Coast Of Bayelsa By Buhari" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 08, 2021
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 11:18am On Sep 08, 2021
kmcutez:

What am I proving? That isoko are Igbo.
No.
Just continue. We are learning alot of things here.

7 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 08, 2021
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Abohboy: 11:20am On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

Abohboy you hear am?
I don't know what made you think you can deceive us with Igbo sounding names.
See your sister being truthful to everybody

Why would she matter to me? Also by this your logic the communities being claimed in Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Iboma and it's environs aren't actually Igbo that they just happen to speamm the language but are Isoko or Ijaw I hope you know you're working against the will of every other Igbo person here. Us Ndokwa, Ukwuani, Bonny, Agbor etc. ARE ALL IGBOS

4 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Efewestern: 11:23am On Sep 08, 2021
isokomarine:
you are right, even isoko bear okorafo but not common

What's the meaning?

Haven't heard of such name.
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 11:24am On Sep 08, 2021
Abohboy:

Why would she matter to me? Also by this your logic the communities being claimed in Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Iboma and it's environs aren't actually Igbo that they just happen to speamm the language but are Isoko or Ijaw I hope you know you're working against the will of every other Igbo person here. Us Ndokwa, Ukwuani, Bonny, Agbor etc. ARE ALL IGBOS
You claim to know your history and to an extent that of Ndigbo but a lady from Ndokwa East (which your Aboh is the HQ) is proving beyond Reasonable doubt here that both You and her are Isoko and all you can do is attempt to sabotage what Ndigbo have worked for over the years.
Mtcheww, Nwokem go and sit down one place let's enjoy this lady's submission

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Efewestern: 11:26am On Sep 08, 2021
kmcutez:

We call him okorafo. I’m not sure how it’s spelt. My first and last name sounds Igbo. Most people think I’m Igbo when they hear my name, but both parents are isoko.

What's your name?

We have some Urhobo names that sound igboid but aren't.

Umukoro is one good example.

In igbo, it can be translated into Umu-okoro (Children of Okoro)

but in Urhobo it means Umuko-oro (Golden Cup).

If you tell me your name, I will give you its Edoid translation.
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 11:27am On Sep 08, 2021
Efewestern:

What's your name?

We have some Urhobo names that sound igboid but aren't.

Umukoro is one good example.

In igbo, it can be translated into Umu-okoro (Children of Okoro)

but in Urhobo it means Umuko-oro (Golden Cup).

If you tell me your name, I will give it its Edoid translation.
Interesting

2 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Nobody: 11:31am On Sep 08, 2021
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Efewestern: 11:32am On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

You know you are lying but you think it's cool because you don't know the implications.
I will allow you to finish before I let you know

Lying? What will I benefit from lying?

First, I've given you all use of okoro amongst the Edoid groups and second, some of these groups had no contact with igbo, so it's just impossible for them to borrow a word from a group of people they never had contact with.

Okoro was used by ancient Bini kingdom and we all know how the Bini influenced most groups in southern Nigeria, that was how tribes like Itsekiri and Ilaje got to make use of it. Definitely, Urhobo being a direct offshoot of Bini kept its usage.

Okoro is derived from the Edoid word "Oko". Oko When translated into English means Young man.
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:33am On Sep 08, 2021
kmcutez:

Oza is husband I think
I don't think there is a single word for husband, instead a compound word is used. (i.e Oza-meh).

As in:
Omoza =boy
Oza=man
Oza meh= my man/husband

2 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by paramakina202: 11:34am On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

You know you are lying but you think it's cool because you don't know the implications.
I will allow you to finish before I let you know

Why do you think he is lying?
Please explain.
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 11:41am On Sep 08, 2021
Efewestern:

Lying? What will I benefit from lying?

First, I've given you all use of okoro amongst the Edoid groups and second, some of these groups had no contact with igbo, so it's just impossible for them to borrow a word from a group of people they never had contact with.

Okoro was used by ancient Bini kingdom and we all know how the Bini influenced most groups in southern Nigeria, that was how tribes like Itsekiri and Ilaje got to make use of it. Definitely, Urhobo being a direct offshoot of Bini kept its usage.

Okoro is derived from the Edoid word "Oko". Oko When translated into English means Young man.

Only the true sons of Idu (those that maintain their igbo root) and contact with Ndigbo use Okoro to describe men and it is not Okoro standing on its own but reflecting the circumstances of it.
Okorafo = Okoro Afọ (a man born on Afọ market day)
I believe you've now been clarified.
As for before, I was allowing you all air your ignorance to the fullest before clarifying.

12 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by glacswhite: 11:42am On Sep 08, 2021
Ofodirinwa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQa7jUozajE

Found a man trying to teach Isoko on Youtube

So far I've learned

1. Ere - Eating
2. Enve - Monkey
3. Anye - Women
4. Omu - Child

I understand all this as an Igbo man..

Umudike call wife or ur woman inye
UMU is child in Igbo

Enwe is monkey in Igbo

Iri is eating in Igbo

4get spelling n pronounce them..you see that an Igbo man will understand it all but think is someone learning Igbo language

This ones are far better understandable than Afikpo n Nsukka
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Abohboy: 11:43am On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

You claim to know your history and to an extent that of Ndigbo but a lady from Ndokwa East (which your Aboh is the HQ) is proving beyond Reasonable doubt here that both You and her are Isoko and all you can do is attempt to sabotage what Ndigbo have worked for over the years.
Mtcheww, Nwokem go and sit down one place let's enjoy this lady's submission

You realize that different areas can have different people living within them right? And that different ethnic groups can be within a single LGA? If you don't know this then you're an idiot becaus that should be obvious to anyone who knows anything about Nigeria, Delta State has 5 major ethnic groups including Igbo, Urhobo, Isoko, Itsekiri and Ijaw and where i'm from Aboh is an igbo community

5 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 08, 2021
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 11:56am On Sep 08, 2021
Abohboy:

You realize that different areas can have different people living within them right? And that different ethnic groups can be within a single LGA? If you don't know this then you're an idiot becaus that should be obvious to anyone who knows anything about Nigeria, Delta State has 5 major ethnic groups including Igbo, Urhobo, Isoko, Itsekiri and Ijaw and where i'm from Aboh is an igbo community
Your behaviour here showed how toothless you are to non Igbo but vocal when it is time to push Ndigbo under the bus.
Step aside, let me handle all of them on behalf of the Good people of Ndokwa.

Madam kmcutez, your turn to be clarified.
First of all you have to acknowledge and accept that Africa is a patrichal society. So the ethnicity of the father of a child goes a long way in dictating the identity of the child.
You've been bent on your mother's Igbo name to prove that Isoko bears igbo name but never mentioned anything about your father, his ethnic or clue about his own name. No two Isoko parents will give birth and name the baby full Igbo names except as a tribute to an Igbo man who can be a very close family friend or mentor (eg Ex Gov Rotimi Amaechi).
The question here should not be the Igbo name of your mother but the ethnicity of your father.
If your father is Isoko, forget the Igbo name of your mother. You are Isoko.
If the father of your mother is Isoko and due to some circumstances she was given Igbo name, She is also Isoko.

Isoko doesn't own Ndokwa or Igbo lands in Bayelsa. Any Isoko in Ndokwa is simply a mere extremely small fraction. They dont represent Ndokwa. Ndokwa is Igbo although the contemporary people say they are Bini.
Thank you

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Nobody: 12:03pm On Sep 08, 2021
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 12:07pm On Sep 08, 2021
kmcutez:

I know Chioma is an Igbo name. That is why I said so in the first place because it was strange name for an isoko person to bear. I’ve never seen an isoko person bear the name Chioma except my mum. My father is isoko, my mom is isoko. I said both my parents are isoko. My first and last name sounds isoko, same as my brothers and sisters and some of my relatives. Deal with it. I will ask my mum where both my great grand parents are from.
Nobody said you are Igbo but thank God you managed to prove my post right.
Your Father and Mother who are Isoko made sure non of your siblings bear Emeka or Chiamaka which proves that no two Isoko parents can name their Children Full Igbo names for no reason.
As for your mother. Find out how she got her Igbo name.
Even if she is full blooded igbo, that still doesn't make you Igbo because your own father is not.
You are a full Isoko lady my dear but your identity doesn't decide that of your local Government or Neighbours.
Ndokwa is Igbo land.
I hope this helps.
Thank you

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 12:13pm On Sep 08, 2021
kmcutez:

My mum also said there are lots of isoko communities in Ndokwa east where her parents are from. Don’t run mad from land issues o.
Showing concerns about Territory is the biological deposition of a male specie. Which by God's grace I am a member of, thus proving why I should be concerned about another group coercing part of the territory I represent.

As for your mother telling you that there are lots of "isoko communities" in Ndokwa proves the very low level they exist in the local Government. Anything that is the majority doesn't need research to figure out from the pack.
If Isoko is that significant in Ndokwa, you should have been mentioning names with distinct identity not how "this person bearing Igbo name, looks like Igbo and practice Igbo custom is actually Isoko" then backed with one unverified story/folktale or the other

5 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Nobody: 12:17pm On Sep 08, 2021
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 12:17pm On Sep 08, 2021
kmcutez:

She said her none of her parents/great are Igbos. They are from Aboh. She also mentioned a place where they are from called Adiae Obiaka. What does that mean?
Abohboy, Over to you.
Are you people isoko?

4 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Nobody: 12:18pm On Sep 08, 2021
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by isokomarine: 12:21pm On Sep 08, 2021
kmcutez:

Lol.Bkkay making me sound crazy. I have no idea what his problem is with that name.
most people here on nairaland don't have preliminary knowledge about this names, for instance we names like
Elo =isoko and igbo
Oke =isoko, igbo and yoruba
and so on

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 12:22pm On Sep 08, 2021
kmcutez:

I lived in Lagos all my life, visited delta when I was a kid, so don’t know much.
Well, since your mom said she is from Aboh, Abohboy will clarify you.
Whatever he says is fine by me. If he confirms her people (Aboh) is either Isoko or Bini, I am OK with it.
Thank you

5 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by isokomarine: 12:27pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

Showing concerns about Territory is the biological deposition of a male specie. Which by God's grace I am a member of, thus proving why I should be concerned about another group coercing part of the territory I represent.

As for your mother telling you that there are lots of "isoko communities" in Ndokwa proves the very low level they exist in the local Government. Anything that is the majority doesn't need research to figure out from the pack.
If Isoko is that significant in Ndokwa, you should have been mentioning names with distinct identity not how "this person bearing Igbo name, looks like Igbo and practice Igbo custom is actually Isoko" then backed with one unverified story/folktale or the other
for ndokwa east local government area wards 9 is 100 percent isoko, while wards 5,6,7,8,10 are made up of Isoko and aboh ethnic groups

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by ZZ22: 12:28pm On Sep 08, 2021
Where is Don Jazzy from? They wrote in Wikipedia he is Isoko but Don Jazzy once said he is Igbo. Meanwhile his father's full name is Collins Ifeanyi Owuneme Ajere Enebeli.

I'm not saying Isoko is Igbo and I dont want them to be.

2 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by isokomarine: 12:31pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

Nobody said you are Igbo but thank God you managed to prove my post right.
Your Father and Mother who are Isoko made sure non of your siblings bear Emeka or Chiamaka which proves that no two Isoko parents can name their Children Full Igbo names for no reason.
As for your mother. Find out how she got her Igbo name.
Even if she is full blooded igbo, that still doesn't make you Igbo because your own father is not.
You are a full Isoko lady my dear but your identity doesn't decide that of your local Government or Neighbours.
Ndokwa is Igbo land.
I hope this helps.
Thank you
Which part of ndokwa are you from? Because Your comments proved otherwise about ndokwa east
Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by isokomarine: 12:34pm On Sep 08, 2021
ZZ22:
Where is Don Jazzy from? They wrote in Wikipedia he is Isoko but Don Jazzy once said he is Igbo. Meanwhile his father's full name is Collins Ifeanyi Owuneme Ajere Enebeli.

we can't never be igbo. Don jazzy mother is from abia while his father is from isoko part of ndokwa east

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by Efewestern: 12:34pm On Sep 08, 2021
BKayy:

Only the true sons of Idu (those that maintain their igbo root) and contact with Ndigbo use Okoro to describe men and it is not Okoro standing on its own but reflecting the circumstances of it.
Okorafo = Okoro Afọ (a man born on Afọ market day)
I believe you've now been clarified.
As for before, I was allowing you all air your ignorance to the fullest before clarifying.

Our argument holds no bearing and i will end it here.

1 Like

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 12:34pm On Sep 08, 2021
ZZ22:

Nna same here. I don't want anything to do with those people. Instead, we will dash them the whole of Ndokwa.
The Bini that Ika brought to us is enough wahala

5 Likes

Re: Isoko Tribe Of Bayelsa State And Igbo Misconception by BKayy: 12:36pm On Sep 08, 2021
Efewestern:

Our argument holds no bearing and it will end it here.
Thanks for yielding on time before we dive deeper into history so that you won't disgrace yourself and the entire Isoko people further.
Okolo being Bini? Mtcheww
Make Bini people no catch you

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Father Was A Muslim. He Died And My Mother(alhaja) Changed And Made Us Xtians / APGA Warns Members Against Campaigning For Other Parties / Before The Ijaws Go To War With Nigeria. (a Must Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.