Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,958 members, 7,806,771 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry (19980 Views)

El-Rufai: FG Claims That Old Notes Of ₦‎1,000, ₦‎500 Already Destroyed By CBN / El-Rufai: Simultaneous Bombing Of Forest Can End Banditry / Shehu Sani Advises Buhari On How To End Banditry & Herdsmen Violence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by nairavsdollars(f): 6:31am On Sep 09, 2021
By Temidayo Akinsuyi

Kaduna state governor, Nasir El-Rufai was a guest on Channels Television where he spoke on the just concluded local government election in the state and the effectiveness of electronic voting system. He also speaks on the security issues in the state and efforts being made in the war against banditry. TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI who monitored the session for Daily Independent brings the excerpts:

If the  results are of the Kaduna Local Government Election is anything to go by where your party, APC  lost your local government to the PDP, do you think your party members will have confidence in the usage of electronic voting in the future, having seen that it did not favour them?

First of all, let make this correction. The chairman of Kaduna North Local government is APC. He won but lost some councilors because councillorship elections are very personal elections. People know who they are voting for and people are not happy with the councilors in the first term, they voted against them even if they are APC in their second term. That is what happened. But overall, the chairman of Kaduna North local government is APC. Yes, I lost my polling unit, yes, the councilor in my ward is PDP but that is okay. The councilor that was in the first term was APC, I don’t think the people liked him very much, so they voted against him. They voted against the individual, not really against the party. But they gave more votes to the chairmanship candidates than they did to the councilors because they know the councilor, they see him everyday. The chairman is a bit remote. And of course, the governor is very far remote.  So, those saying it is a referendum on me got it wrong. I am not on the ballot. So, we won in Kaduna North local government. As I said, the 15 local governments so far announced, APC has won 14, PDP has won one in Kaura in Southern Kaduna. Even the heart of Southern Kaduna opposition , Jama’a local government where PDP has won consistently since 1999, this time, it flipped to APC. So, it is not about incumbents, it is about commitment to democracy and allowing people make their choice. I think whether you are an incumbent or not, you should put the interest of democracy and public interests ahead and allow free and fair election.

What is your general assessment on the usage of electronic voting machines in the Kaduna Local Government election?

I will say the elections in Kaduna using the electronic voting machines and electronic back ups have been very successful. The reason why people will try to compromise policemen and all that is because that is the system they are used to. Truly, the police cannot do anything to change the results of the election. They can’t touch the machine. If anything is done to compromise the machine, the electoral commission can switch it off and cancel the results of that polling unit. They will be able to use GPS to track where the machine is and recover the machine and then schedule a date for another election in that polling unit. And indeed, in several local governments, we are going to do bye elections in polling units with the machine either malfunctioned, were snatched, stolen or whatever. So, as I said, the system is nearly foolproof. You cannot manipulate it. As electoral officials, you cannot really change anything because you cannot change the results in the machine. You can’t change the results in the USB that will be taken to the collation centre. You can’t change the results that are printed and signed by all the party agents and given copies to the security agencies. So, unless you can change all three, hack into the server and change it, hack into the USB somehow and change it and also rewrite all the results that are with the security agents and party agents, you really cannot win in these things. You may succeed in cheating initially but by the time all the facts are brought before the election tribunal, you will lose. So, it is nearly foolproof and if we can make all the lawmakers in the national assembly understand this and they are confident they were duly elected, they didn’t write results in the last election that brought them into the national assembly, they will have nothing to fear. The only person that will fear this system is the person who knew he wasn’t elected, that he used the security agents and INEC to somehow manipulate the results that brought him to the national assembly or to the governor’s office or the presidency. This is my view.

You did this in 2018 and now, yet voters turn out is still low. What do you think it will take to restore voters confidence in the electoral system so that they can turn out enmasse on election day?

Yes, voter turnout is a major concern and  there are perhaps two or three reasons for this. The first is that because we have to do modifications to the voting machines, it arrived a little late. We didn’t have months to prepare people and show how the machine works extensively, so that people have confidence that even though I am not educated, even though I have not seen how the machine is, I will still be able to vote. So, there was the fear of technology even on the part of voters and I think this contributed to the apathy. This is why I said earlier that we intend to use the next two, three years to try to get more people to participate. Secondly, local government elections usually have lower turnouts because unlike national elections where the entire populace is mobilised, local government elections are isolated elections in one state. So, there is that issue.  We need to have more advocacy on the use of the machines and the third thing which I think is a very positive thing is the fact that,  for instance in Kaduna North local government, even though APC won the chairmanship, we lost more than half of the councillors because the councilors that served in the last three years were returned by the party using consensus but many people were not happy with that. So, they voted against them.  They didn’t vote for PDP, they voted against the councillorship candidates, so we lost.  Now, the results of that will send a message to the people that their votes matter. They can vote out people they don’t like. I have a feeling that next local government election will have higher confidence and turn out which will also be improved by the continuous advocacy that we will still do in the next two to three years. They shouldn’t wait until election cycles to show people how these machines works. They should use the two years period before the elections to really show people that these machines are easy to use. Go to village by village, ward by ward and go to the markets to show people that these machines are easy to use. This is how to improve the voters turnout but like I said, the loss of APC of many councillorship even when we won the chairmanship is a clear indication to the people that yes, our votes matter, so let us come out next time and vote out people we don’t like. So, I think it will work generally in future elections but a lot of advocacy and communication is needed.

Let’s talk about the issue of insecurity. Do you feel hamstrung by the security architecture as it currently exists?.

Yes, it can be very frustrating sometimes because as state governor, I am supposed to be the chief security officer of my state but as I have explained several times, the state governors control no security assets at all. These are federal security assets and while they collaborate with us to some extent, at the end of the day, they take their orders from Abuja. There are some things that we want done but are not done.  We have been meeting as governors of eight frontline states and we have very clear strategies and plans  to end this banditry but the constraints on the federal sides sometimes slow us down. But we are working together more collaboratively. Right now, I think we have turned the corner. I think the issue of banditry in the North West is at a tipping point and very soon, we are going to see the end of it. The aggressive military and police operations across  the air is dismembering them and I think we are coming to the end of it by the grace of God.

https://independent.ng/fg-slowing-down-efforts-of-north-west-governors-to-end-banditry-el-rufai/

11 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by Skyfornia(m): 6:33am On Sep 09, 2021
There are some things that we want done but are not done. We have been meeting as governors of eight frontline states and we have very clear strategies and plans to end this banditry but the constraints on the federal sides sometimes slow us down

Buhari has finished this country..even Hellrufai has seen hell in Buhari's hand.

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by hisexcellency34: 6:34am On Sep 09, 2021
Ortom and that army officer who spoke on Channels Television have been vindicated..

148 Likes 8 Shares

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by Nwodosis(m): 6:35am On Sep 09, 2021
FG or Bubu? "Attack on Boko Haram is an attach to the North"- Bubu.

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by chinjo(m): 6:36am On Sep 09, 2021
I can't believe this is coming from El-Rufai. Have you suddenly fallen apart with Baba go slow? Because this sounds like an indictment on Buhari but you are just afraid to call his name so you decided to use the word FG

90 Likes 8 Shares

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by hisexcellency34: 6:37am On Sep 09, 2021
You heard him right

There are some things that we want done but are not done.  We have been meeting as governors of eight frontline states and we have very clear strategies and plans  to end this banditry but the constraints on the federal sides sometimes slow us down

chinjo:
I can't believe this is coming from El-rufai

8 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by Racoon(m): 6:40am On Sep 09, 2021
Simply because the FG = Bubu = Bandit terrorists.

16 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by Seniorwriter(m): 6:41am On Sep 09, 2021
EL-Rufai failure(re-arranged letters of his name) a double standard minded midget!
This buhari leaders are truly propaganda masters in twisting issues and talking from both sides of their mouth.
samtinx:
forget propaganda el_rufai is the best politician from the north,
Laughable.....
NakwansaPolice:
elrufi is a midget criminal bastard terrorist
That terrorist part is why I'm sure he(failure) isn't worthy as a leader.

WE NEED YOUNG VISIONARY LEADERS IN NIGERIA!
@SENIORWRITER

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by Crossroad1(m): 6:41am On Sep 09, 2021
This criminal midget is good at manipulation.
Asslicker oshi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by Babzrockman: 6:43am On Sep 09, 2021
Nice

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by potent5(m): 6:46am On Sep 09, 2021
Shiiit happens

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by maiiilooo(m): 6:48am On Sep 09, 2021
chinjo:
I can't believe this is coming from El-Rufai. Have you suddenly fallen apart with Baba go slow? Because this sounds like an indictment on Buhari but you are just afraid to call his name so you decided to use the word FG
Tenure don dey finish na abi u no understand. Him garagara don dey finish.
after woman fear politicians

24 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by InaNla(f): 6:52am On Sep 09, 2021
Skyfornia:
There are some things that we want done but are not done. We have been meeting as governors of eight frontline states and we have very clear strategies and plans to end this banditry but the constraints on the federal sides sometimes slow us down

Buhari has finished this country

The failed terrorist will not go unpunished!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by donbachi(m): 7:05am On Sep 09, 2021
Men are spitting fire.

2 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by ThinkSmarter: 7:09am On Sep 09, 2021
El Rufai is brilliant like Sanusi Lamido Sanusi but only if he can be deradicalised(Mentally)

6 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by Yobabad: 7:14am On Sep 09, 2021
That is why we said it is pure devilish Islamic agenda, Islam can not do without sucking blood

6 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by BigBelleControl(m): 7:18am On Sep 09, 2021
El-Rufai is smart but he should not consider contesting for the post of president.

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by bestman09(m): 7:18am On Sep 09, 2021
grin

Can a demon (Buhari) be happy to chase out other demons (demons)?

3 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by kadraxkyle(m): 7:18am On Sep 09, 2021
Am i the only one who thinks this is a pure lie?

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by Ayemileto(m): 7:18am On Sep 09, 2021
grin

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by Conner44: 7:19am On Sep 09, 2021
Hmm I can remember a time buhari made a statement about dogs, monkeys and baboons being soaked in blood and this same el rufai was supporting him.

These bandits were the ones initially contracted to do the ‘soaking’ but when the dog and baboons were nowhere to be found they turned their ‘bloody nozzles’ towards the chickens, goats and cows.

Now it is affecting them more than us grin isn’t God a wonderful being

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by money121(m): 7:19am On Sep 09, 2021
Ok
Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by MkBaron(m): 7:19am On Sep 09, 2021
All of you are just doing nonsense grin grin
Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by BeardedMeat(m): 7:19am On Sep 09, 2021
hisexcellency34:
You heard him right

There are some things that we want done but are not done.  We have been meeting as governors of eight frontline states and we have very clear strategies and plans  to end this banditry but the constraints on the federal sides sometimes slow us down

It could be supply of personnel, since they control the forces.
Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by Mossadd: 7:19am On Sep 09, 2021
They are benefiting from the Chaos so buhari and his goons are enjoying the show they won't want it stopped
Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by Holadokun(m): 7:20am On Sep 09, 2021
Ok
Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by Americafighter: 7:20am On Sep 09, 2021
I think the headline should be Buhari is stopping us from fighting banditry

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by Ibkhaleel01: 7:20am On Sep 09, 2021
NL are hypocrites you and your southern media houses....your headlines are always lies and misleading...shame on you!

You are only creating false headings to attract the hungry bigoted youths of your region

4 Likes

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by scholarshipspy: 7:20am On Sep 09, 2021
Is it really possibly to study in Canada without IELTS and go own to become a permanent resident?

Those and more were the questions I was asking myself when I stumbled on a new video that spills all the secrets of studying and relocating to Canada in a few steps.

Watch the video and find out more on this post : https://scholarshipspy.com/study-in-canada
Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by 4four(m): 7:21am On Sep 09, 2021
Who is fg? Na something or someone name? He should say it loud and clear: 'Buhari is slowing down Ur effort', I dislike people that goes through corner to express their self

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by pinkyruledworld(m): 7:21am On Sep 09, 2021
If a split happens, the south would do better than the north.

1 Like

Re: El-Rufai: FG Slowing Down Efforts Of North-West Governors To End Banditry by Ibkhaleel01: 7:21am On Sep 09, 2021
Yobabad:
That is why we said it is pure devilish Islamic agenda, Islam can not do without sucking blood
non-Christians throughout history and throughout the world, including pagans, all combined aren't even close to the Christians when it comes to evil things!!

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gbajabiamila, Tinubu, Shettima Observe Jumat Prayers In Abuja / Francis Waive Begs Governor Okowa For Toyota SUV Given To PDP Lawmakers / My Constable Will Arrest Any Errant Governor – Mbu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.