Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,393 members, 7,808,381 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:14 AM

Witchcraft Across The World - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Witchcraft Across The World (1311 Views)

Olukoya: "Satanic Witchcraft Behind Bloodshed And Massive Deaths In Nigeria" / What Is The Attack Behind Witchcraft Pressing At Night? / Is This Bird Witchcraft Sacrifice Or What? (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Witchcraft Across The World by HelpYourself(m): 8:51am On Sep 09, 2021
The island of Siquijor, found in the Central Visayas region of the Philippines, is a mysterious other-world of witchcraft, the unknown and to mangkukulam: these are practitioners of a form of Filipino witchcraft called kulam. Researcher of Filipino and Austronesian history, igorot , states that in his experience of visiting the island that many Cebuanos refused to accompany him on his journeys. Many believe that they perform black magic, using rituals similar to voodoo, and cast spells and incantations to bring harm. However, they aren’t just self-serving; they often sell love potions and services to help customers exact revenge on those who have wronged them.

In the mysticism of the practice of vodou, an African diasporic religion that developed in Haiti between the 16th and 19th centuries and which is often seen as a practice involving magic. Vodou is an official religion of Haiti, which more than 8 million people practice. This African diasporic religion is based on the belief that everything is a spirit and humans exist to serve the spirits through different devotional rites and prayers.

During rituals, Vodouists will often experience spirit possession and enter trance-like states, which can include eating and drinking, dancing, divination and performing special medical cures or physical fears. Vodou is not evil; it is a belief system and religion comparable to any other. As one of Vodou's central sites, Souvenance holds an annual festival at Easter.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Witchcraft Across The World by HelpYourself(m): 8:51am On Sep 09, 2021
In the suburbs of Bucharest lives one of the most famous witches in Romania, Mihaela Minca She and her coven - all of which are traditionally itinerant Roma minorities - live at the outskirts of European society and make their living through performing rituals that help their clients find money, love and sufficient punishments for those who have wronged them.

"Red for love, yellow for abundance and richness, white for blessing, and black for powerful black magic rituals..."

The women's recipes and activities aren't noted in any kind of book, but passed down from generation to generation. The images highlight how the women invoke craft and fashion to enhance their potency and Lupu wanted the images to help viewers better appreciate Roma superstitions, witchcraft and magical practices.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Witchcraft Across The World by HelpYourself(m): 8:56am On Sep 09, 2021
In our attempt to discover what witchcraft is, an important question is whether witchcraft is spiritual or physical. This is a question that people often ask me. In a previous post, “What Is Witchcraft,” Again, witchcraft is often directly connected with dreams but it is claimed to be different from dreams. What then is witchcraft? Is it a spiritual or physical phenomenon?

Witchcraft and the Witchcraft Object
Among the Bleep (the practice of witchcraft), though considered a nocturnal act, is a well-structured concept with its bylaws. The witch is supposed to possess (a witchcraft object) that is thought to be a pot containing a mixture of human blood and articles such as beads, herbs, human nails, and snakes. This witchcraft object is believed to be hidden in various places such as one’s room, a farm, a river, the hearth, the dunghill or just outside one’s house. A person accused of witchcraft is expected to show where the witchcraft object is hidden, so that it will be brought out and burnt.

However, it is said that such objects are spiritual and cannot be produced physically. This belief causes much confusion since very few so-called witches are able to produce a witchcraft object, and this has led to so much wrong persecution, like seen in Nigeria the case of Hope the abandoned child, or the Spanish inquisition or Salem witch trials in History.

In one case where the witchcraft object was requested, the girl could not produce any physical object. When coerced, she cut the finger of a boy physically and presented it to the claimant. The case ended up with the police, and this was reported in Ghana’s daily newspapers. Thus, while some believe the witchcraft object is material, others think it is immaterial (or spiritual).

The Animus/Animal of the Witch
Another appurtenance for the witch is supposed to be ahoboa (“my animal self”). It can better be translated as “the animal power that is within me” or it may be understood to be the “witch-spirit animal.” The term “witch-spirit animal” is used in this presentation. The witch-spirit animal is supposed to be an animal such as a snake, a dog, a lion, a bird or a centipede.

The witch-spirit animal is supposed to be an invisible spiritual animal, but may materialise at the time of performing a duty. It is believed that a person can have more than one witch-spirit animal. The more witch-spirit animals a person has, the more powerful the person becomes. It is believed that some witches carry their witch-spirit
From certain perspectives, the belief that both the witchcraft object and witch-spirit animal are spiritual places the witch above the level of an ordinary human being.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Witchcraft Across The World by HelpYourself(m): 9:01am On Sep 09, 2021
The belief that witches are not ordinary human beings, but possess some supernatural powers that make them “human spirit-beings” cause people to fear them.

The issue of witchcraft acquisition makes the concept more complex. It is believed that witchcraft can be acquired through various means. One such means is heredity. It is held that a person whose witchcraft is hereditary might have received it from the spiritual; such witches are held to be very powerful. I met a young woman who claimed to be a Christian born with witchcraft. She claimed many pastors had prayed for her several times without results. She claimed to see herself in places where she had never been. When she visited such places later, she realized all she had seen was real. She claimed to use this knowledge to predict outcomes of meetings to help her manager so she was adored and cherished by the manager.

Another assumption is that witchcraft can be given to an unborn baby in its mother’s womb. In such a case, that witchcraft is considered a family heritage that must be transferred from one family member to another. A dying family member would have to transfer it to another a beloved family member, without the recipient’s knowledge. In exceptional cases, witchcraft is thought to be given to a beloved friend who is not a family member. The craft, transferred by a dying witch to a beloved one without the recipient’s knowledge, begins to manifest in the recipient after the death of the transferor. Coincidentally, the effects of the death of loved-ones on relatives make some of them emotional, nervous, weeping, talkative and daydreaming. Thus many such people are taken for witches.

The belief that witchcraft operates within a family generates the premise that it is the witches in the family that cause their own family members’ downfall, success or death. Thus when someone is prospering, it is assumed that the witches in the family are good. On the other hand, when someone is not prospering, it is thought that the wickedness of the witches in that family have led to that condition of failure or in some cases death. This belief leads to accusation of witchcraft among family members.

Still another means of obtaining witchcraft is said to be through the receiving of gifts. A practicing witch, it is believed, can infest articles such as necklaces, beads and pieces of clothes with the witchcraft power. Such witchcraft-infested gifts may be given to a person without the recipient knowing the gift contained witchcraft. Once such a gift is received the person may begin to
manifest witchcraft.

It is believed that another witchcraft acquisition method is the eating of certain foods prepared by a witch and infested with witchcraft power. One such witchcraft food is mashed plantain mixed with red oil. This assumption of ignorantly acquiring witchcraft leads to the speculation that a person can be a witch without knowing it. Thus ‘a spiritually powerful person’ can tell an ignorant witch that he/she has been infested with witchcraft.

There is also the belief that witchcraft can be bought by anyone who wants it. However, it is said that this kind of acquisition of witchcraft is not a common practice.

Another complex issue is the belief that witchcraft is often given to people against their will. In such situation, it is assumed that the recipient may suffer if he/she rejects the witchcraft. Such victims may suffer from epilepsy or insanity, and may even die, because of their rejection of witchcraft. This assumption leads to the stigmatization of people who fall sick with epilepsy or mental challenges because they are thought to be witches.

In the 1920s, the British anthropologist, Robert Sutherland Rattray wrote that non-adults could not be witches. On the contrary, Hans Debrunner, a Germany missionary in his writings in the 1960s showed that all categories of people–young and old, male and female, literate and illiterate–were believed to be possible witches. Thus, witchcraft has become part of the very fabric of people’s belief system.

If witchcraft is considered both material and immaterial, and yet functions as an organization with all these complexities, how does it work?

Stay tuned

Things to watch out for and telltale signs you are interacting with someone who practices witchcraft

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Witchcraft Across The World by Juliusmomoh: 9:08am On Sep 09, 2021
Nice write up .. But i don't read
Re: Witchcraft Across The World by HelpYourself(m): 9:10am On Sep 09, 2021
Juliusmomoh:
Nice write up ..
But i don't read

Still , nice comment and thank you for sharing smiley
Re: Witchcraft Across The World by Juliusmomoh: 9:12am On Sep 09, 2021
GofuckYourself:

Still , nice comment and thank you for sharing smiley
Don't mind me o cheesy Am gonna read to the end.
Re: Witchcraft Across The World by HelpYourself(m): 9:17am On Sep 09, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

Don't mind me o cheesy
Am gonna read to the end.

You are very welcome sir, and please feel free to share your thoughts cool
Re: Witchcraft Across The World by Juliusmomoh: 9:28am On Sep 09, 2021
GofuckYourself:

You are very welcome sir, and please feel free to share your thoughts cool

One thing i know is that,
"Witchcraft is poverty".

How many rich man pikin you don ever see wey de confess say them be witch? ..
Re: Witchcraft Across The World by HelpYourself(m): 10:07am On Sep 09, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

One thing i know is that,
"Witchcraft is poverty".

How many rich man pikin you don ever see wey de confess say them be witch? ..

That's one way of looking at it on the surface. But trust me when I say most so called rich men and women you see, have their hands in one thing or the other for protection, some for power some for affluence etc

3 Likes

Re: Witchcraft Across The World by Juliusmomoh: 11:09am On Sep 09, 2021
GofuckYourself:

That's one way of looking at it on the surface. But trust me when I say most so called rich men and women you see, have their hands in one thing or the other for protection, some for power some for affluence etc

I know.
But i don't think witchcraft is included...

Witchcraft is just a dirty game, and no rich man whould like to involve in that.

Am speaking from experience here.

Witchcraft is just 'mind reading'
Re: Witchcraft Across The World by HelpYourself(m): 11:16am On Sep 09, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

I know.
But i don't think witchcraft is included...

Witchcraft is just a dirty game, and no rich man whould like to involve in that.

Am speaking from experience here.

Witchcraft is just 'mind reading'

grin

What you are describing is not witchcraft. You must be new to my lecture series. I implore you go through them. All these described here are but scratching the surface of the deep world that is witchcraft and like I said I'm the past I only give peripheral information here for the safety of readers.

Let me state this. Witchcraft is as deep as any man made religion. It takes dedication obedience to its principles and strict methodology.

Material wealth has nothing to do with participating in or subscribing to witchcraft. So many men and women across Nigeria are involved irrespective of their material well being , I am speaking from experience grin

Your view is quite amusing smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Witchcraft Across The World by Juliusmomoh: 11:23am On Sep 09, 2021
GofuckYourself:

grin

What you are describing is not witchcraft. You must be new to my lecture series. I implore you go through them. All these described here are but scratching the surface of the deep world that is witchcraft and like I said I'm the past I only give peripheral information here for the safety of readers.

Let me state this. Witchcraft is as deep as any man made religion. It takes dedication obedience to its principles and strict methodology.

Material wealth has nothing to do with participating in or subscribing to witchcraft. So many men and women across Nigeria are involved irrespective of their material well being , I am speaking from experience grin

Your view is quite amusing smiley

You said you are speaking from experience ? shocked shocked
Re: Witchcraft Across The World by HelpYourself(m): 11:37am On Sep 09, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

I have over 60 topics created on this forum on spiritism feel free to peruse
Re: Witchcraft Across The World by TheStakeHolder(m): 1:20pm On Sep 09, 2021
Nice.

But always include your sources in the write-ups. Otherwise it's plagiarism.

Some parts of this your post is from this site: https://henrycenter.tiu.edu/2015/05/withcraft-physical-or-spiritual/
Re: Witchcraft Across The World by HelpYourself(m): 1:56pm On Sep 09, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

Indeed

smiley
Re: Witchcraft Across The World by xproducer: 6:25am On Sep 10, 2021
GOD is the only Holy One to whom people should be praying to / humbly calling upon, in His holy name; the name of the Lord JESUS, the CHRIST

"God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” - John 4:24

"...Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live?" - Hebrews 12:9

There are "deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons," - 1 Timothy 4:1, so anything different from GOD as revealed in the Holy Bible is ill-advised!

+++

"God has spoken once, Twice I have heard this: That power belongs to God." - Psalm 62:11

The LORD reigns!
Re: Witchcraft Across The World by HelpYourself(m): 6:53pm On Sep 10, 2021
xproducer:
GOD is the only Holy One to whom people should be praying to / humbly calling upon, in His holy name; the name of the Lord JESUS, the CHRIST

"God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” - John 4:24

"...Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live?" - Hebrews 12:9

There are "deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons," - 1 Timothy 4:1, so anything different from GOD as revealed in the Holy Bible is ill-advised!

+++

"God has spoken once, Twice I have heard this: That power belongs to God." - Psalm 62:11

The LORD reigns!

My brother no one can dare compare or even doubt the might or supremacy of Our heavenly father. I am even amazed you get mind think like that sef.
Even in my wildest dreams I can't fathom such thoughts . The knowledge here is shared strictly for educative purposes so this was unecessary.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Witchcraft Across The World by xproducer: 2:40am On Sep 11, 2021
GofuckYourself:

My brother no one can dare compare or even doubt the might or supremacy of Our heavenly father. I am even amazed you get mind think like that sef.
Even in my wildest dreams I can't fathom such thoughts . The knowledge here is shared strictly for educative purposes so this was unecessary.

Cheers

----

Not everyone who reads these responses thinks like you, not everyone who reads these responses thinks like me, brother.

Let any who would be edified be edified by that which correlates, and by that which does not - GOD knows all things.

All is invaluable, and therefore, imperative!
Re: Witchcraft Across The World by WantsandMore: 2:37pm On Sep 11, 2021
Interesting read!
Re: Witchcraft Across The World by HelpYourself(m): 9:57pm On Sep 11, 2021
xproducer:

----

Not everyone who reads these responses thinks like you, not everyone who reads these responses thinks like me, brother.

Let any who would be edified be edified by that which correlates, and by that which does not - GOD knows all things.

All is invaluable, and therefore, imperative!

It's alright then

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Does Anyone Know What Destiny Really Is? / Words Of Late Pastor Bimbo / Is Religion Holding Nigeria Backwards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.