Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,819 members, 7,802,623 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:40 PM

Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap - Phones (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap (25544 Views)

Which Network Is The Most Cost-effective For Data In Nigeria? / Cost Of 1Gb Of Data In Every Country / Nigerians Outside Nigeria, What's The Cost Of Data In Your Resident Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Dpaulie(m): 6:44pm On Sep 09, 2021
historyles:
Someone did a thread showing the cost of data around the world in Dollars and some concluded from the thread that Data is cheap in Nigeria. This is not true at all. Data in Nigeria, like many other things, e.g. fuel. food stuff, is not cheap, but expensive. Very expensive!

Those who make these comparisons are only pushing out a false narrative based on false comparisons. What makes a product cheap or expensive is not the price tag on the product but the purchasing power of the buyers. Let's take a simple example.

In the USA, cost of 1GB of data is, according to the data available, $8.00, while in Nigeria, cost of 1Gb of data is around $2.3. Nigeria looks cheaper right? Wrong!

Someone looks at this as then says data is cheaper in Nigeria. But that is a wrong conclusion from a false comparison. The simple way to know which is cheaper is to bring in the buying power of the buyers.

In the USA, the average wage per month is $2730, while in Nigeria, the average wage is N30000 = $58. So without looking too far, a Nigerian who collects his wage will be able to purchase with his full salary, 58 / 2.3 = 25GB, while an American who collects his wage will be able to purchase, with his full salary, 2730 / 8.00 = 341GB

So how is it cheaper for the Nigerian? In fact, A Nigerian who collects minimum wage will spent it all on one bag of rice and transport home while an American who collects his minimum wage can buy 20 bags of rice and still have lots of change left.

I can go on and on and on, comparing products and services but the point is clear. Don't let anyone fool you that anything is cheap in Nigeria. Things are astronomically expensive in Nigeria right now
Your brain will not sour
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 6:47pm On Sep 09, 2021
lexy2014:

Can u show me where u say I made that claim? Meanwhile, u haven't answered d following:

Are u earning 500k a month in Nigeria?

Or aren't u in Nigeria?

If u are in Nigeria, Where are u going to see d $1k a month to earn in Nigeria?

Where are you going to see 520k to earn.? In this digital age? Lol
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by lexy2014: 7:16pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

U still haven't answered d questions:

Can u show me where u say I made that claim?

Or aren't u in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 7:23pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Your analysis is so wrong. You type like someone that always visit the local market to bargain price.

But who told you 8 dollars for a gb data isn't expensive in the United states, you type like everybody in America is rich enough to afford an expensive data.

So you are saying that because America is a rich country, expensive data will be seen as cheap data because of purchasing power, so no Americans will want a cheaper data or even try to save money or cut cost.

According to your logic, you are also saying sellers in america put prices on goods because of purchasing power, something close to, lets put high price because they can afford it, to be sincere, that is not logical. lot of factors influence cost of goods and services not purchasing power.

Also, purchasing power does not determines what is cheap and expensive, purchasing power determines the quantity of goods and services that can be bought with your currency in the local market.

For instance, the naira has more purchasing power than than the dollar, with 2000 naira, you can buy atleast something tangible in Nigeria when compared to the dollar equivalent of the 2000 naira ( 4 dollars) in the United states.

You said the naira has more purchasing power than the dollar? Na night school you attend?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Quita system education is bad!
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 7:34pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Minimum wages means the least an employer can pay a worker

The least worker in Nigeria don't even earn 30k a month. Some domestic workers still earn as little as 7k to 10k a month. Many states are still paying 18k a month? How much is the government offering for even npower again? 30k? How many people even see 30k? Even banks still pay some of their staff 40k month and you are talking. SMH
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 7:36pm On Sep 09, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Oga, 500k is for MDs and GMs. How many people even get above 100k, not to talk of 500k? You want to use the earnings of the top 1% as your basis for debate of cost of good and services? Seriously?
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by historyles: 7:44pm On Sep 09, 2021
Denn:
What OP has described is simply the cost of living.

The cost of living to income ratio is relatively higher in Nigeria no doubt. Our standard of living is also lower.

However cost of data is cost of data and it is cheaper in Nigeria than in many countries

Cost of living is cost of purchasing goods and services oga. What are you saying?
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by theInterpreter: 8:08pm On Sep 09, 2021
philip0906:

How can something be unlimited and still have data cap?
that's Nigeria for you

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by airsaylongcome: 8:23pm On Sep 09, 2021
Topmaike007:
guy you be devop?

Developer? Or DevOps? I'm neither. I be support Engineer. But I'm looking to Pivot into either Development (Programming) or DevOps(AWS)
Re: Cost Of Data In Nigeria Is Very High. Not Cheap by Nobody: 8:24pm On Sep 09, 2021
lexy2014:

U still haven't answered d questions:

Can u show me where u say I made that claim?

Or aren't u in Nigeria?

Guy!
Enter business section and see freelancers earning more than that. There are numerous threads there on how to earn in dollars in Nigeria.
We are in the digital age o!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Pictures From TECNO CAMON 19 Mondrian Edition Exhibition In Lagos / NIN Matching: 9mobile Launches Portal For Instant Verification / Etisalat Nigeria Blackberry 10 Plans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.