Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,902 members, 7,806,636 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:32 PM

Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? (11662 Views)

Should I Disown My Father And Forget About Him? / I Was Chosen As King: Should I Damn The Consequence Or Forget About It Entirely? / Why Nigerian Men Hardly Forgive A Cheating Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by ohosi4real(m): 9:42am On Sep 11, 2021
Onyi22:
I can only forgive but I'll not forget undecided
Only God forgive and forget
That mean you worst than Buhari. Try to learn how to forget issues

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Frales6(f): 9:43am On Sep 11, 2021
k
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Nobody: 9:43am On Sep 11, 2021
Yes and no

No, because you don't have a memory loss that will cause you to forget what someone did to you.

Yes, because you can chose to not think about it all the time by making a conscious effort to erase or discard the thought each time it comes to your mind until it fades away completely you forget almost exactly how it happened and at this point it stops to hurt.

Why people find it difficult to forget is because they don't let go even after claiming to have forgiven you. This happens when they give room to, entertain and ponder hard on the thought each time it crosses their mind.

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Vinnie2000(m): 9:44am On Sep 11, 2021
OP.
Yes, there is..
You just forgive and accept that the Devilish side of the person manifested..

Den, you hope that the Person Never does the bad deed again.. smiley
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Okortor: 9:44am On Sep 11, 2021
Forgiveness is an offense in my world so don't dare offend me.......
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by parkervero(m): 9:45am On Sep 11, 2021
Easy to forgive but difficult to forget anything that hurt your feelings

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by kerry57: 9:45am On Sep 11, 2021
No, u can forgive but certainly not forget. U can only pretent to forget.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Vinnie2000(m): 9:46am On Sep 11, 2021
WibusJaga:

Forget here does not mean to be erased from your memory.
It implies you don't allow any offences of yesterday to be a factor in your judgements & decisions of today.

Baba..
You don Pieces Everything finish!!
Nice One! smiley

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Oblongata: 9:46am On Sep 11, 2021
You can forgive, but can’t forget!

I remember a bro on the street once lost his job, and his landlady was hell bent on sending him off. I came to his aid and begged her, I gave her the 6 months he was owing (125k) and promised to get the balance before year ran out.

I spoke with my friend ( whom is quite older) about how he was going to get a job and money etc, he was too old to dust his cv (47), but his uncle wanted to sell a building in a choice area in Lagos. The building was going for 300m and my friend was in charge of the selling.

I posted this building on instagram, Twitter, etc until we eventually got a buyer at 310m. 10 m was suppose to be his (excluding agent fees). Immediately the money was paid, my friend disappeared literally. No thank you, no ‘take this 5k’, nothing at all! I even loaned him up to 100k before then (excluding rent I paid for him o) and dude didn’t deem it fit to pay up his loan. He changed his number, and never returned Facebook messages even after it was read. I moved on...

5 years down the lane he was on to me again. Apparently he has become broke and was looking for a place to stay, somehow he thought I would have forgot all he did. I didn’t.

I told him never to contact me again. He was in tears but who cares?

4 Likes

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by gigabyte13: 9:46am On Sep 11, 2021
Nooooooooooo
Like never ever

Na so l drag am for my church with my pastor, l no gree ooooo
The whole church just dey look me like devil
I tell Pastor say, show me for bible, where GOD write am say "FORGIVE AND FORGET"

But you can forgive and move on with the same person if you see a reasonable change in their words and action.

If not, just forgive and forget the person.
No be every forgiveness needs reunion

3 Likes

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by ofiko123(m): 9:46am On Sep 11, 2021
Maybe who knows..
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Fiscus105(m): 9:46am On Sep 11, 2021
UndauntedYOCA:
It's possible to forgive, however, forgetting what was done to you is dependent on the magnanimity of the action.
As a person who doesn't easily get offended and lets go of things easily, I can tell you that there are people who have wronged me, whom I truly forgave and also forgot what they did to me, however, there are some people I forgave for the sake of my own sanity and possibly because they were truly sorry, some I forgave because it's just in my nature to forgive, some I forgave without them having asked to be forgive, however, there are some I forgave but what they did will forever remain in my memory, perhaps not all of the actions but I know that part will remain.
Since this isn't a thread on talking about the things that can't be forgotten, I won't delve into that.
Please watch and subscribe. grin thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zERC18r_igU

@cancelled

Magnitude
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by wentroublecomes: 9:47am On Sep 11, 2021
ohosi4real:

That mean you worst than Buhari. Try to learn how to forget issues

Let assume I used your love one for ritual, and I later went to u to apologize, but u manage to forgive me but will u forget?
That's why I said it only depends on d gravity of that d offender did

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by MufasaLion: 9:48am On Sep 11, 2021
I don't forgive.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by tesseract: 9:48am On Sep 11, 2021
Forgetting here implies that you remember the offense but the resentment and hatred you used to feel and the desire for revenge against the offender is no longer there. You sometimes just sigh or shrug it off.

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Lightorder: 9:49am On Sep 11, 2021
WibusJaga:

It implies you don't allow any offences of yesterday to be a factor in your judgements & decisions of today.
gbam !

2 Likes

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Bmaster(m): 9:49am On Sep 11, 2021
mardis:
There is forgive but definitely not forget. Infact anybody that says he/she has forgotten is a big LIER
there is forget!!!

But it really takes a lot of years!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Taiwojon(m): 9:50am On Sep 11, 2021
Forgiveness is very important in life.

Know this: there is no way you will live in this world and offences will not come, offend will surely come via anybody

But
If you keep grudge and malice, you are only delaying your progress in life and you won't go far.

Free your hate from hate.

Love everyone equally, remember love conquers all that is why Jesus forgave and died for your sins.

Forgive and God will forgive you

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Brushstrokes20: 9:51am On Sep 11, 2021
As for me,

I FORGIVE the sin and

FORGET the person

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by SimplePlan34: 9:52am On Sep 11, 2021
No
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by VULCAN(m): 9:53am On Sep 11, 2021
Unfortunately, what you defined here as forget has got little to do with forgetting and more to do with forgiving.

Let's move this away from the personal to the governmental.

When a person receives a pardon(i.e forgiveness) from the govt it implies that the person is to be treated as one who never committed the offence.

So the person can receive an appointment or be employed into a job that convicts are not permitted to have.
Nobody forgets that the person was once a convict but now he or she is no longer to be treated as if they were ever one.

Forgiveness implies that you cannot respond to the person as if they did what you both know they did.

It's just that it's hard for us a humans to do but governments do it all the time.

WibusJaga:

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by chii8(f): 9:57am On Sep 11, 2021
Not forgetting a wrong doing simply means that you have not forgiven, having so much space in your mind for recording wrong doings, will definitely never give room for good things to occupy your mind.It's even a mental stress to keep records of wrong doings done to you.

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Vinnie2000(m): 9:57am On Sep 11, 2021
Citygal:
There is nothing of such. Not even in the Bible.

Forgive for your peace but don’t forget so you don’t fall into the same trap again.

Some of you Do not understand the concept of forgiveness@all..

Forgive means YOU MUST FORGET. Thanks to the OP for dis topic!

When the Prodigal son's father forgave him, will d father start remembering the boy's mistakes? undecided
Or when Joseph forgave his Brothers..He will start to remember d Pit? sad
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 11, 2021
No.
There's only FORGIVENESS...
FORGETFULNESS is difficult especially when the matter has registered in the memory.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Charmingrascal(m): 9:59am On Sep 11, 2021
It depends on what you are forgiving

You can only forgive a cheating partner u can't forget

1 Like

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Coly2012(m): 10:00am On Sep 11, 2021
Forgiveness only let go of wrong done but can't wipe the memories off, even God don't forget our wrong even when he has forgive us.
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by fredoooooo: 10:01am On Sep 11, 2021
Forgive never forget
Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Nobody: 10:01am On Sep 11, 2021
chii8:
Not forgetting a wrong doing simply means that you have not forgiven, having so much space in your mind for recording wrong doings, will definitely never give room for good things to occupy your mind.It's even a mental stress to keep records of wrong doings done to you.
I don't think you know the meaning of FORGETFULNESS.
The problem we have as Nigerians is we apply spirituality and religion to everything.
The worst happens when University Graduates imbibe such character.
FORGIVENESS is simple.
Forgetting the deed is difficult but that doesn't mean the person hasn't forgiven.

Your BRAIN has memory.
It stores events.
That's why you reproduce things when demanded or not, when necessary or not.
That doesn't mean you haven't forgiven.
AMNESIA is loss of memory.
People suffering from such can forgive & forget.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by Ijaya123: 10:01am On Sep 11, 2021
Let us be realistic. Human can only forgive, they can't forget. Only God can do both.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Such A Thing As Forgive And Forget? by smiliyB(f): 10:04am On Sep 11, 2021
WibusJaga:

Well said, and even with time the person may forget if you don't keep on going over what the person did in our mind.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Women Paying Dowry For their Husbands? / When A Cheating Spouse Dies / Who Owns A Child? Father Or Mother?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.