Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,889 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:45 PM

Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. (796 Views)

My Old Laptop With Blind Screen For Sale / What IT Tech Skill Should My 10-year-old Kid Learn? / TODAY IS VAL.Get My 10 Affiliate Marketing Softwares For Free.(with Image,links) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by IMAliyu(m): 1:59pm On Sep 11, 2021
Hp pavilion dv6 2150us
Core i3 330M
4Gb ram
320Gb HDD.

A laptop my Dad bought brand new as a family laptop back when I was in Jss 2 which was around 2010/2011.

This computer has served me and my siblings well, but its time is up I guess. It died last year 2020, when it refused to turn on. Whenever I'd click the on button the fan would start spinning as though it would turn on, but then stop, it would keep repeating the cycle like it would turn on but then it stops, while the screen never displays anything.
At first I thought it was the power adapter that was faulty, but I changed adapter and nothing changed.
After sometime I managed to diagnose the problem, it's from the motherboard.
The laptop has had overheating issues for sometime now, and the battery also died so that essentially made it a desktop, at the mercy of Nepa.
Not to ignore, I probably was the one that accelerated it's death, because I used it as my workstation for my blender modeling and rendering.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by IMAliyu(m): 2:10pm On Sep 11, 2021
Thought I'd make this into something educational, and show the individual components.

The first picture here is the motherboard with the heatsink and fan.

Under the heatsink is the CPU (APU to be more specific).

Besides the CPU socket is the Ram slots to the left, and below the CPU socket is the bios chip I suspect.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by budaatum: 2:10pm On Sep 11, 2021
Looks like a well used machine. You've only taken the cover off but piqued my interest in Pavilions if they withstand so much.

Gut it. Show what made it tick so well please.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by budaatum: 2:14pm On Sep 11, 2021
Simms, lol.

1 Like

Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by IMAliyu(m): 2:23pm On Sep 11, 2021
RAM Sticks and Wifi card

Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by IMAliyu(m): 2:32pm On Sep 11, 2021
The dried up thermal paste may be related to its overheating issue.

And this thing is dusty as heck.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by IMAliyu(m): 3:07pm On Sep 11, 2021
The more arbitrary parts,
The CD drive, The speaker, the beat up keyboard, and deck.

Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by IMAliyu(m): 3:33pm On Sep 11, 2021
I don't plan on scraping the the computer yet.

I went down a rabbit hole last night researching this computer's parts. This destroyed a myth I held about laptops that they can't be upgraded besides the ram and storage.

Turns out you could, there are multiple variations of this computer made by HP, and some MBs come with dedicated Nvidia graphics, and I was able to find ones compatible with this case, also the CPU can be upgraded as well.
I found a compatible i7 CPU, and motherboard with a GT 320 Nvidia chip, on AliExpress that would both cost me roughly 45k, and it got me curious if I'd be able to not only fix it, but upgrade it, into something worthwhile.
I can get two 4GB ram sticks for 6k locally, and also 3k for a new keyboard.

If I were to pursue this route, it'd cost me around 54k, this can add at least 5 more years of life to this machine, but is it worth it? Or should I just gather enough money to buy a new computer?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by bmdmix11: 11:56am On Sep 12, 2021
IMAliyu:
I don't plan on scraping the the computer yet.

I went down a rabbit hole last night researching this computer's parts. This destroyed a myth I held about laptops that they can't be upgraded besides the ram and storage.

Turns out you could, there are multiple variations of this computer made by HP, and some MBs come with dedicated Nvidia graphics, and I was able to find ones compatible with this case, also the CPU can be upgraded as well.
I found a compatible i7 CPU, and motherboard with a GT 320 Nvidia chip, on AliExpress that would both cost me roughly 45k, and it got me curious if I'd be able to not only fix it, but upgrade it, into something worthwhile.
I can get two 4GB ram sticks for 6k locally, and also 3k for a new keyboard.

If I were to pursue this route, it'd cost me around 54k, this can add at least 5 more years of life to this machine, but is it worth it? Or should I just gather enough money to buy a new computer?
sell d working parts n get a new laptop

1 Like

Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by suffering: 12:06pm On Sep 12, 2021
If you plan to upgrade it do so for the hard drive, RAM and processor. Since the system is not gaming oriented, it won’t have the necessary airflow to deal with dedicated graphics. You can do that only if you change the casing. Back in 2005 technicians could fit laptop parts into mini ATX towers. They were basically desktops made from laptop components.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by IMAliyu(m): 4:11pm On Sep 12, 2021
suffering:
If you plan to upgrade it do so for the hard drive, RAM and processor. Since the system is not gaming oriented, it won’t have the necessary airflow to deal with dedicated graphics. You can do that only if you change the casing. Back in 2005 technicians could fit laptop parts into mini ATX towers. They were basically desktops made from laptop components.
Upgrading the Memory and Ram will be simple, so they are not top priority.

The damaged part is the motherboard, and instead of replacing with the same exact board, I found other MBs from a different variations of this same laptop which all use the same casing.
Some of these boards have dedicated Nvidia graphics chips built-in, and that's what I'm thinking of getting. Their heatsink and fan will also fit my current case.
But you make a good point, since it's not a dedicated gaming machine it will still struggle with airflow.
The CPU I thought of getting was an i7 740qm, it's compatible with the system, has 4cores 8threads and 1.7-2.9ghz clock speeds, though it's still an 11 year old cpu.

I have a Micro ATX case from a much older computer, it's an interesting idea, I will look into it.

I've contemplated on it, and it seems like the cheaper route to getting a system with good performance. Because I want game and use the machine for heavy work loads like rendering animations.
I've asked around my local computer retailers, a decent used computer with an i5 processor will cost me North of 100k.
Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by IMAliyu2: 4:18pm On Sep 12, 2021
I got tagged by the bot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by suffering: 6:43pm On Sep 12, 2021
IMAliyu:

Upgrading the Memory and Ram will be simple, so they are not top priority.

The damaged part is the motherboard, and instead of replacing with the same exact board, I found other MBs from a different variations of this same laptop which all use the same casing.
Some of these boards have dedicated Nvidia graphics chips built-in, and that's what I'm thinking of getting. Their heatsink and fan will also fit my current case.
But you make a good point, since it's not a dedicated gaming machine it will still struggle with airflow.
The CPU I thought of getting was an i7 740qm, it's compatible with the system, has 4cores 8threads and 1.7-2.9ghz clock speeds, though it's still an 11 year old cpu.

I have a Micro ATX case from a much older computer, it's an interesting idea, I will look into it.

I've contemplated on it, and it seems like the cheaper route to getting a system with good performance. Because I want game and use the machine for heavy work loads like rendering animations.
I've asked around my local computer retailers, a decent used computer with an i5 processor will cost me North of 100k.
Buying a used computer is a better option than refurbishing a ten year old laptop. If you have the money, why not buy one? I can see the appeal of coupling things yourself, but that fairly used system will likely be three to four years old while your complete build will turn out a high spec machine from eight or nine years ago. A single core processor from three years ago will utterly decimate an i7 from eight years ago especially if the software running on it is modern.

You can buy the second hand system then fix this laptop with whatever remains. Having something to compose documents and browse the web on is always handy. I will honestly recommend selling this laptop for parts then buying the fairly used system plus a tablet.
Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by IMAliyu(m): 8:52pm On Sep 12, 2021
suffering:
Buying a used computer is a better option than refurbishing a ten year old laptop. If you have the money, why not buy one? I can see the appeal of coupling things yourself, but that fairly used system will likely be three to four years old while your complete build will turn out a high spec machine from eight or nine years ago. A single core processor from three years ago will utterly decimate an i7 from eight years ago especially if the software running on it is modern.

You can buy the second hand system then fix this laptop with whatever remains. Having something to compose documents and browse the web on is always handy. I will honestly recommend selling this laptop for parts then buying the fairly used system plus a tablet.
Alright, thanks for the advice.
Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by BRATISLAVA: 12:37pm On Sep 13, 2021
Looks like sokoto.
Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by Emusan(m): 11:33pm On Sep 13, 2021
IMAliyu:
Thought I'd make this into something educational, and show the individual components.

The first picture here is the motherboard with the heatsink and fan.

Under the heatsink is the CPU (APU to be more specific).

Besides the CPU socket is the Ram slots to the left, and below the CPU socket is the bios chip I suspect.

Are you a student of electrical/electronic or a professional electronics repair?

Seems you have knowledge about electronics.
Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by IMAliyu(m): 3:19pm On Sep 15, 2021
Emusan:

Are you a student of electrical/electronic or a professional electronics repair?

Seems you have knowledge about electronics.
Not really, I just like computers, and I've spent sometime following tech channels learning about them.
I hope to be able to afford buying parts and building a desktop computer by myself someday.
Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by Emusan(m): 9:11pm On Sep 15, 2021
IMAliyu:

Not really, I just like computers, and I've spent sometime following tech channels learning about them.
I hope to be able to afford buying parts and building a desktop computer by myself someday.

That's nice

Do you know how to read schematic diagram?
Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by IMAliyu(m): 10:06pm On Sep 15, 2021
Emusan:

That's nice

Do you know how to read schematic diagram?

No, my knowledge doesn't go that deep, nothing outside of recognizing a few electric symbols I learned in secondary School physics.
Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by Emusan(m): 10:21am On Sep 16, 2021
IMAliyu:

No, my knowledge doesn't go that deep, nothing outside of recognizing a few electric symbols I learned in secondary School physics.

Eyah! But having the zeal to one day assemble your own PC should encourage you to go deeper.

Anyways, I'm good in schematic reading and PCB design.
Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by IMAliyu(m): 4:22pm On Sep 16, 2021
Emusan:

Eyah! But having the zeal to one day assemble your own PC should encourage you to go deeper.

Anyways, I'm good in schematic reading and PCB design.

Oh, do you have any sources on an introduction to schematics?
Re: Disassembled My 10 Year Old Laptop. by Emusan(m): 6:57pm On Sep 16, 2021
IMAliyu:
Oh, do you have any sources on an introduction to schematics?

Actually, I can't say there's any source that specifically talks about schematic simply because schematic is just a symbollic diagram that shows how electrical components are placed and wired to form a complete circuit. So your search will always return with something like: introduction to electronics e.t.c. which will still be teaching you, properties of electrical components like Resistor, Capacitor, Inductor e.t.c in which if a person isn't a professional electrical engineer or having indepth knowledge of electrical/electronics might not still be able to put together.

But believe me, in the world we live today, learning has surpassed that.

So, to be a good Board designer/PCB designer, you only need to rise up to the challenge. That is, ready to dedicate time and your freedom because one thing a Board designer don't do is a mistake and by reading wrong Resistor part number is a mistake that can burn/destroy your board.

Having said that, the best way to go is to find a simple schematic diagram and try to study it first.

Let me use Arduino as example:

Arduino no matter the one you're talking about can only be divided into three sections.
1. Voltage Regulator - that is how power is supplied to it.
2. Voltage management - that is how various source of power are managed (Note: Arduino can be powered from USB connected to system, 9V DC Jack, VIN rail 5V, 3.3V)
3. The microcontroller section.

If you can get yourself familiar with a simple cuicuit like this then you can begin to grow your electronic design knowledge.

The most interesting thing about being a PCB designer is how one can easily pick a board and understand the working process. grin grin

For more than a month now, I've been working on a LAPTOP BOARD infact, I feel so excited because I fully understand how component like RAM is interconnected to PROCESSOR, if will plug power cord into power Jack, how the system distributes the power.

You can read more on this THREAD

Thou I decided to pause on it because I've been working on how to arrange online tutorial for people who have been showing interest on how to be a good PCB designer.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

China’s Growing Influence Is Transforming African Tech / Eltron Plastic Id Card For Sale-fairly New With New Printhead / How Can I Purchase Software Online?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.