Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,552 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:21 PM

VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses (22961 Views)

Governors’ ‘jumbo’ Appointments Cost Millions In Salaries Monthly / FIRS Workers Threaten Strike Over Fowler’s Handover To Abiodun Aina / Fg’s Plan To Cut Salaries Scares NNPC, CBN, FIRS Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Islie: 1:28pm On Sep 12, 2021
The dispute between the Federal Inland Revenue Service and some states over the collection of Value Added Tax seems to be taking a new turn by the day as two more states, Ogun and Akwa Ibom, say they are ready to enact laws that will enable them to collect the tax in their states.

This is as some employees of the FIRS are currently in panic mode over the recent moves by states to begin collection of Value Added Tax, Sunday PUNCH has learnt.

Three members of the FIRS workers’ union told one of our correspondents that stripping the FIRS of the power to collect VAT could reduce the commission the agency would have received by as much as N96bn.

The FIRS had stated in a document submitted to the National Assembly that it projected it would be able to collect N2.44tn from both import and non-import VAT in 2022.

The FIRS, which takes four per cent of the amount collected as VAT as its commission, projected it would receive N96bn in 2022.

Should the states begin collecting VAT, the FIRS would lose this huge sum, a top source within the tax body told one of our correspondents.

The source said, “Our highest source of revenue is Petroleum Tax and VAT. Others include Stamp Duty, Company Tax and a few others. VAT is number two for us and we are paid bonuses based on performance.

“If we stop collecting VAT, the FIRS will not be able to pay bonuses and other special packages to staff. As it is, many of us are scared because we don’t know what will happen next.”

Another senior employee told Sunday PUNCH that the FIRS had hired too many staff members and its wage bill was high. He said the service might be forced to reduce its workers once VAT payment was taken away.

Another employee said, “One big problem we have in the FIRS is that almost every big politician has a relative in this agency due to the system of patronage we run in this country, whereby political office holders are given slots. The implication is that we have too many workers and our wage bill and overhead cost are high. We will be lucky if some of us are not sacked.”

Out of the FIRS’ N216.65bn budget for the 2021 fiscal year, the sum of N107.52bn is for personnel cost; N47.22bn for overhead cost; and N61.9bn for capital cost.

As of 2019, the FIRS had about 9,000 staff members but the figure is believed to have increased since then.

The agency has been criticised for frivolous expenses such as setting aside N160m to sew uniforms for 850 drivers and budgeting N825m for refreshment and security vote of N250m, among others in 2019.

https://punchng.com/vat-row-firs-workers-fear-cut-in-salaries-bonuses/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Canvass: 1:31pm On Sep 12, 2021
FIRS workers are just collateral damage to Wike's friendly fire. They should not forget that each state will have a more vibrant SIRS now, which will employ indegenes and create more employment opportunities than restrictive FIRS.

The employees can focus on the petroleum tax and other taxes and be managing that like that, so as to let the cookies go round, or resign their appointments at FIRS and go back to their various SIRS for employment.

On this VAT issue, Wike is right, regardless of whose head is rolling.

259 Likes 18 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by rayvelez(m): 1:31pm On Sep 12, 2021
Thief everywhere all of them shud great.

5 Likes

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by AntiBMC(m): 1:33pm On Sep 12, 2021
Well they have to adjust cos change is constant, and unlike the yeye change Bulhari promised in 2015, this change spearheaded by Wike is good.

Every state should collect its VAT. Not d one that Kano will destroy people's alcohol businesses and still, collect the VAT for the alcohol. That's an injustice.

104 Likes 10 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Freestainworld(m): 1:37pm On Sep 12, 2021
Thieves, unfortunately to them, it will happen

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by tollyboy5(m): 1:38pm On Sep 12, 2021
grin automatic sack letter

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by SarkinYarki: 1:41pm On Sep 12, 2021
The Federal Govt using it's corrupt Judges will defeat the State in this VAT debacle in both the appeal and Supreme court then the state Govts will go on to implement a version of VAT at state level called the Sales Tax ..at the end of the day it's the poor masses that will bear the brunt

26 Likes 6 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Truthissupreme: 1:45pm On Sep 12, 2021
I am sure na abokeys go suffer from the FIRS too.

If Ogun, Akwa Ibom join it's game over

Ibnabdul woul soon come here to cry his parasitic tears since na him e pain pass

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Christistruth00: 1:48pm On Sep 12, 2021
Canvass:
FIRS workers are just collateral damage to Wike's friendly fire. They should not forget that each state will have a more vibrant SIRS now, which will employ indegenes and create more employment opportunities than restrictive FIRS.

The employees can focus on the petroleum tax and other taxes and be managing that like that, so as to let the cookies go round, or resign their appointments at FIRS and go back to their various SIRS for employment.

Too many Nigerian Billonaires pay next to Nothing they should get on their Case

Lagos should also introduce the Owambe Party Tax

Any Party Costing More than N2 Million Naira should be taxed at 50% especially the Obi Cubana type parties

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Ezewuzie01: 1:49pm On Sep 12, 2021
Greed is what is affecting them. After ruling for 8 years, and prioritizing northerners in government either by quota system or wasting huge resouces on boko haram and banditry, they still want to continue in 2023. All southern states plus sensible northern states like Benue, Adamawa, Plateau must come together to resist this lopsided Fulani VAT administration in this country.

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Truthissupreme: 1:50pm On Sep 12, 2021
SarkinYarki:
The Federal Govt using it's corrupt Judges will defeat the State in this VAT debacle in both the appeal and Supreme court then the state Govts will go on to implement a version of VAT at state level called the Sales Tax ..at the end of the day it's the poor masses that will bear the brunt
Appeal court, or supreme Court won't give a verdict to support FG because there is no where in the elusive list where it defines FG to collect VAT on a state.

The highest at best is they collect from federal import export inflow

The high court decision doesn't make it any easier for FG too that's why they want to force NASS to pass emergency law

But at the time of the case ruling it's still governed by the original law which Lagos State is officially using

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by donbachi(m): 1:54pm On Sep 12, 2021
Vatmatician wike done deal with dem.

10 Likes

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by joyandfaith: 1:56pm On Sep 12, 2021
Canvass:

Brillant point.
1 million likes

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by baby124: 1:56pm On Sep 12, 2021
State tax agencies will have a lot of vacancies. They will be fine. Only issue is that they may not be seeing awoof money like before.

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by SarkinYarki: 1:56pm On Sep 12, 2021
Truthissupreme:
Appeal court, or supreme Court won't give a verdict to support FG because there is no where in the elusive list where it defines FG to collect VAT on a state.

The highest at best is they collect from federal import export inflow

The high court decision doesn't make it any easier for FG too that's why they want to force NASS to pass emergency law

But at the time of the case ruling it's still governed by the original law which Lagos State is officially using

The same Supreme court we have seen passing magical verdicts? cheesy. Don't play yourself ..those people are very corrupt

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by joyandfaith: 2:01pm On Sep 12, 2021
SarkinYarki:

The same Supreme court we have seen passing magical verdicts? cheesy. Don't play yourself ..those people are very corrupt

FG might not win this. Collection of taxes is not exclusive list of FG. States can make laws.
You may be right though.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Truthissupreme: 2:02pm On Sep 12, 2021
SarkinYarki:

They are corrupt but would tanko preside over every case

The law is very straight you know, FG has lost cases too

23 Likes

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Truthissupreme: 2:04pm On Sep 12, 2021
joyandfaith:

FG might not win this. Collection of taxes is not exclusive list of FG. States can make laws.
You may be right though.
Exactly, as at today no law states the type of taxes FG should collect in states, it is ambiguous

But Lagos State has a law on what taxes it should collect and it's right to collect them

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 12, 2021
AntiBMC:
Well they have to adjust cos change is constant, and unlike the yeye change Bulhari promised in 2015, this change spearheaded by Wike is good.

Every state should collect its VAT. Not d one that Kano will destroy people's alcohol businesses and still, collect the VAT for the alcohol. That's an injustice.
How would the state collect their own VAT? If I buy N100 MTN recharge card in sokoto, my VAT is N1 which at the end of the month FIRS go to the MTN to collect this N1 in the head office in lagos. If VAT is going to start , it means , it should be calculate according to state consumption not according to present of the head office, you will see that, Lagos and rivers may ended up getting nothing. My problem with some of you is that your sentiment have overide you judgement

7 Likes

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 12, 2021
I've said it before that, FIRS officials want to still be in charge of VATs because of the kin money dem dey see.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 12, 2021
supportnija:

How would the state collect their own VAT? If I buy N100 MTN recharge card in sokoto, my VAT is N1 which at the end of the month FIRS go to the MTN to collect this N1 in the head office in lagos. If VAT is going to start , it means , it should be calculate according to state consumption not according to present of the head office, you will see that, Lagos and rivers may ended up getting nothing. My problem with some of you is that your sentiment have overide you judgement
Lol

Lagos will end up getting nothing, but Sokoto will get a lot of things

Nairaland is so funny, a place where a bigot go dey accuse someone else of been a bigot grin

Even if every states dey collect their VATs, Lagos go still be number one.

60 Likes 8 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Nobody: 2:40pm On Sep 12, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
Lol

Lagos will end up getting nothing, but Sokoto will get a lot of things

Nairaland is so funny, a place where a bigot go dey accuse someone else of been a bigot grin

Even if every states dey collect their VATs, Lagos go still be number one.

Your problem is that you refuse to learn, 35 states in nigeria cannot buy, withraw money from the bank because their head office in Lagos , they are the one to get the tax. I just give example of N1 to tell you Lagos may not be as you think.

2 Likes

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 12, 2021
supportnija:

Your problem is that you refuse to learn, 35 states in nigeria cannot buy, withraw money from the bank because their head office in Lagos , they are the one to get the tax. I just give example of N1 to tell you Lagos may not be as you think.
Please shut up your mouth. You talk as if nobody is living in Lagos.

If every states start collecting VATs themselves, no state will come close to Lagos, no matter what.

No state in the North East or North West can generate more VATs than Lagos.

52 Likes

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Soulsymbol99: 2:55pm On Sep 12, 2021
The agency is dead grin

2 Likes

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by descarado: 2:56pm On Sep 12, 2021
States should introduce SIRS and commence employment immediately. If this pregnancy finally mature and a baby is born, I will forgive buhari all his atrocities.
Who ever thought something good will come out of fulani draconian rule.
People are exploiting all possible avenues to be free from fulani power. How they were allowed to become so powerful over the yrs is what I don't understand.

And one atiku a fulani man want to contest again.
Mbok

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Truthissupreme: 3:00pm On Sep 12, 2021
supportnija:

you made no sense

For Telecoms, Banks FG would simply TAX all states that want joint VAT and leave LAGOS, Rivers

The companies have geographic database of users so it is very easy

12 Likes

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Canvass: 3:02pm On Sep 12, 2021
Christistruth00:

Too many Nigerian Billonaires pay next to Nothing they should get on their Case

Lagos should also introduce the Owambe Party Tax

Any Party Costing More than N2 Million Naira should be taxed at 50% especially the Obi Cubana type parties

I absolutely subscribe to your brilliant points, especially that Owambe own. All those 'Ijebu' men that places premium on grand parties over more important things and all those claiming 'big-for-nothing' must get sense by force.

Only that the same politicians putting the laws in place would be the first to circumvent those laws. Such a sad country.

11 Likes

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 12, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
Please shut up your mouth. You talk as if nobody is living in Lagos.

If every states start collecting VATs themselves, no state will come close to Lagos, no matter what.

No state in the North East or North West can generate more VATs than Lagos.
You a lier, Lagos would not , Lagos would be nothing, today , TOTAL pay VAT , OANDO pay VAT, Mobil PAY VAT all in lagos etc all these head office would force to pay their VAT according to each state according to consumption, today over 44millions liters used petrol and Diesel in Nigeria today are only paid in Lagos, Some of you think , it is so simple that like that, I can recharge my phone and pay my VAT in my state. NLNG head office in Porthacourt now will pay VAT to Rivers, You see how funny are some of you!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Nobody: 3:22pm On Sep 12, 2021
supportnija:

You a lier, Lagos would not , Lagos would be nothing, today , TOTAL pay VAT , OANDO pay VAT, Mobil PAY VAT all in lagos etc all these head office would force to pay their VAT according to each state according to consumption, today over 44millions liters used petrol and Diesel in Nigeria today are only paid in Lagos, Some of you think , it is so simple that like that, I can recharge my phone and pay my VAT in my state. NLNG head office in Porthacourt now will pay VAT to Rivers, You see how funny are some of you!
All this your wailings, I no dey understand am. Maybe people wey dey import fuel, go start sailing with their ships on land from Lagos to Sokoto or you think nah just a single state in the south south Mobil, Oando etc dey drill oil from in the south south.

There is no way a state like Sokoto, Gombe, Kebbi etc will generate more VATs than Lagos State.

I will leave you with your ignorance sha, states in the South West like Ogun are about to follow LASG and RSG path, you can keep on wailing on Nairaland.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT Row: FIRS Workers Fear Cut In Salaries, Bonuses by Nobody: 3:44pm On Sep 12, 2021
DubaiLandLord1:
All this your wailings, I no dey understand am. Maybe people wey dey import fuel, go start sailing with their ships on land from Lagos to Sokoto or you think nah just a single state in the south south Mobil, Oando etc dey drill oil from in the south south.

There is no way a state like Sokoto, Home, Kebbi etc will generate more VATs than Lagos State.

I will leave you with your ignorance sha, states in the South West like Ogun are about to follow LASG and RSG path, you can keep on wailing on Nairaland.
I never blame you, I blame the institution that awarded certificate as a graduate.. you don't even UNDERSTAND what is VAT.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ejigbo Residents Jubilate Over Road Construction / Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed Dumps APC / PHOTOS: FG Delegation Visits Mrs. Rebecca Sharibu, Mother Of Leah Abducted By Bo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.