Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s (19298 Views)

Married Men How Do You Confidently Cheat On Your Spouse? ( My Experience) / Dear Married Men, How Do You Cope With Sex Starvation / 7 Things You Should Learn To Do In Your 20s To Avoid Regrets In Your Later Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 3:49pm On Sep 15, 2021
wazobia68:

Lol, not like that, only Abacha was that hard. We had SAP riots all over the country. Aluta struggles here and there etc. Even Babangida had to settle the vocal ones with appointment. People like Wole Soyinka, Tai Solarin etc have to be settled with appointment. We were vocal but not brainwashed like today's youth.
So Dele Giwa and Fela were delusions of ours! undecided
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by RodgersAkpafu: 3:52pm On Sep 15, 2021
holocron:

What's all this Igbo this Igbo that. We are talking of Nigeria made up of 250 ethnic groups and you are bringing up Igbo matter.

The Biafra war only occured in the south east alone, while the rest of Nigeria were enjoying peace and development - and only for 3 years out of a 20 year period we are talking about.

You Igbos should get over your self importance. Nigeria will continue to exist with or without Igbos.
I was about to applaud you for the Initial comment you made
Then I scroll down to see this undecided
This comment is in bad taste and is uncalled for
The civil war was an ugly part of our story as a country
And Igbos are Nigerians too
The suffering should be acknowledged
And your comment Insensitive
You still have a point
The years before Buhari first coming were good old days

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by wazobia68: 3:53pm On Sep 15, 2021
Kobojunkie:
So Dele Giwa and Fela were delusions of ours! undecided

I never told you we had perfect rulers. I said only Abacha was brutal. That does not mean that others were Saints.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by anfanio: 3:55pm On Sep 15, 2021
wazobia68:

Less than 1% of the population enjoyed what you are talking about. The main population wallowed in abject poverty then. What was the %age of university graduate then.
In my village, my dad was the only person that had car around 70s. Now the whole village is littered with cars and mansions.
The people eat rice once a week. No electricity in the village then. None could afford gen then.
No comparison between now and then. This generation are enjoying more
In my university days 88-93, you hardly see students having ordinary tv's in their rooms. But now tv's is a small thing. Students now have everything, Tv, laptops, phones, tabs, car etc.

Nothing like good old days. That was only for the few rich and contented folks
It wasn't for the few then, it was the norm in the West and I was talking about Oke-Ado Ibadan, not some exclusive GRA area in Ikeja, Victoria Island, Ikoyi etc, and remember the East suffered the brunt of the civil war, recovery never started for years.

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by JuanDeDios: 4:13pm On Sep 15, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Omho and we abuse them for destroying the country. These guys suffered so much.
NIgerians in their 40's today did suffer a lot after SAP was introduced by IBB. But take it from me: those who destroyed this country didn't suffer.

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by lanreonplanet(m): 4:14pm On Sep 15, 2021
life in the 80s was that of contentment, those saying it was boring because of lack of internet should realize you don't miss what does not exist .
The programmes on our national TV stations (NTA) kept us entertained- village headmaster, cock crow at dawn, mind your language, some mothers do have them by Frank Spencer, Love boat, Globe trotters, Alaadin, Bill Cosby show, Family matters etc

in education, both the children of the rich and the poor attend public schools with foreign teachers from different African countries, original textbooks from Macmillian, and same text use in best schools of the world from great authors- Stones &Cozen, Micheal West, Lambert, Harwood Clarke, Chinua Achebe, Lamb (books of Shakespeare)

On job opportunities, there were fewer graduates compare with available job, women with ordinary secretarial knowledge trained up children up to university level in this country. No graduate was unemployed for upward of six years as we have now.

the environment was better, lots of playground for children, fewer gates and low fences because you are not afraid of your neighbor.

12 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by JuanDeDios: 4:15pm On Sep 15, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

I was about to applaud you for the Initial comment you made
Then I scroll down to see this undecided
This comment is in bad taste and is uncalled for
The civil war was an ugly part of our story as a country
And Igbos are Nigerians too
The suffering should be acknowledged
And your comment Insensitive
You still have a point
The years before Buhari first coming were good old days
You're right.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Xilsbridalhouse(f): 4:17pm On Sep 15, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
I used to abuse the older generation blaming them for completely destroying the country for the younger generation especially Nigerians in the 45 plus age bracket but I have been thinking and I feel that age range of Nigerians actually had it much worst than Nigerians of today.

Nigeria is still an absolute shithole today but at least the internet exist which is enabling young people to make a living online. Something that was impossible or unheard of like 10 years ago.

How did older men survive Nigeria when they were young. I mean let's say you graduated from unilag or unn with a mechanical engineering degree in 1984 when Buhari was head of state. They were no jobs, unemployment was still very rife. There was no internet for freelancing or stuff like that. Bujari destroyed the economy then and a demon IBB entered and became president as if that wasn't worst Abacha came in. By the time Abacha left, a 22 year old man from buhari tenure might have been 35 or close to 40 years. Lived through all this bad governance, poverty and hardship. It's so terrible when I think about it.

Older Nigerians how did you guys do it? I am really curious to hear your experiences.
Reading your post felt like I was drinking milk! So smooth!!!
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:29pm On Sep 15, 2021
Xilsbridalhouse:

Reading your post felt like I was drinking milk! So smooth!!!
Thank you.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by babaowambe: 4:32pm On Sep 15, 2021
naira was stronger than the pound then, school and health care was free with quality service true life was simple, with only 2 tv channels (nta)was quality tv programs nepa was a little bit better than now, crime did exist not as bad as now,nigerians traveled to the uk visa free then i could liveon ten naira pocket money for a week i remember there was no such things like second hand items all things where brought new that was life before IBB,i traveled on my own in safety when i was 11 years old from Lagos to ondo state on a smooth ore benin expressway at 120 kph in a new 504 station wagon in complete safety that was life then

3 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by rickleye: 5:17pm On Sep 15, 2021
hmm not the kind of responses I was looking for
1. In the 80's we had reliable power supply - You knew when there would be light and when they would turn off power.
2. There was discipline and high morals - Anyone remember W.A.I - you lined up for stuff. ( Idiagbon - I still think the dude was poisoned)
3. The Naira was on par with US and 1.5 against Pound
4. The population was half what it is now.
5. NNPC refineries were working and producing Oil. We didn't import.
6. There was Austerity measures implemented by IBB ( how the dude is alive and well and is in 80's after all he did to Nigeria is Appalling !!!! . He moved the seat of Power to Abuja ( Fine) , Took power from Buhari who took from Shehu Shari ( bad), Imprisoned Abiola ( bad) Killed Dele Giwa ( bad)
7. We had the Village Headmaster and Things fall apart and Dauda the sexy guy . The height of immorality where the pin up gals from the Sun newspaper on the weekend.
If you think things are better now than back then. I disagree.

3 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Gfskw: 5:44pm On Sep 15, 2021
Everything was still better
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Frenzy01(m): 5:46pm On Sep 15, 2021
It has never been easy... Nigeria has always been a tough place to be

Contact me for your swift buying and selling of any Dog breed. Pet care and boarding services also available
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by ExtraVioment: 6:12pm On Sep 15, 2021
I sorry for your inquiries, you go dey ask failed generation people.

Na joke I dey o.

Somewhat.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Authoreety: 7:27pm On Sep 15, 2021
crackhaus:

No matter how you look at it, they had it so much better... Waayyy better.
Nothing depressing about it.

Yes they lived through the military era and saw firsthand what that was like, but it was still a better deal than what we have now.

Nigeria/Nigerians didn't have such a bad rep in the eyes of the world back then.

And who told you there were no jobs?

Just having a university degree guaranteed you a job without the need for man-know-man or bribing your way into federal agencies.
My dad with his University of Ibadan 2'2 degree didn't stay without work for up to 3 months after serving – got a really good job for that matter.

Nigerians could travel easier back then and even though the standard of living wasn't all that high, things were affordable in comparison.
Today, the standard of living is low (even lower if we're being honest), yet commodities aren't that affordable.

The internet age, satellite TV, and advent of mobile devices which ushered in the era of remote jobs and internet-based sources of income, also came with the introduction of make-believe lifestyles from watching reality shows like MTV cribs, KUWTK, etc...
Young Nigerians became obsessed with living wealthy lifestyles and acquiring expensive things (even when unnecessary).

Please there's no comparison to be made...

Older Nigerians definitely had a much better Nigeria than we do now. It wasn't heaven then, but it still wasn't as hellish as it is now.
People actually lived in Nigeria back then, but what people are doing now is surviving – there's a big difference.

I can't even take my car to a random mechanic to fix for me because they will bill me like a yahoo boy. lipsrsealed
Internet fraudsters who don't mind paying whatever price they're told to pay for anything, have succeeded in contributing to inflation.

All those overpriced estates in places like Lekki built on top of reclaimed land that is just hoping/praying the sea doesn't develop mood swing, do you think if they were not seeing people to buy them, they won't drop the prices?

My brother, the overall mentality of Nigerians is very different now from what it was then.

Although it's not that the country was European-standard for older Nigerians back in the day, but contentment seemed to be more prevalent as people were okay with just having the basics/having just what was necessary.

I have a lot more I could type on this topic, but I've exceeded my social media allocated time for today. grin

God bless you, you poured out my mind... More ink to your pen sir

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by isreddnewgreen: 7:35pm On Sep 15, 2021
hahn:

I swear. Just travel to ordinary Cotonou by road and it will seem you dropped one heavy bag at the corner.

No one is trying to be rich fast but they are enjoying themselves with 24 electricity, good roads, stable economy, cheap food etc

Just come back through the border and you go just tire undecided

Touche
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Nobody: 7:51pm On Sep 15, 2021
Kobojunkie:
You practically had nothing much to do , and no way of expanding your minds except for when you had school to attend. undecided

Who says? Of course we socialized and I partied hard in my university days, in fact I don’t think Uni students of today party as much as we used to then. But we always maintained our focus and had much stronger principles at the end of the day. The shame and stigma of failing in school, getting pregnant before marriage or generally not doing well in life was so strong back then that it always kept us in check no matter how much we wanted to misbehave. Kids today no longer have that fear that’s why they busy doing drugs, getting knocked up and dropping out of school anyhow.

Also we didn’t have to deal with what I call the ultimate distraction of this generation - social media. Back then we had distractions but they were not as instant and “in your face” like it is today with smartphones and social media. I don’t see any mind stimulating thing on most of these platforms. It’s all sex and other forms of immorality 24/7. We expanded our minds back then by reading books, watching documentaries and other educational stuff to the extent that I am more articulate and knowledgeable than most kids currently in university that I speak with. Why is that? despite all the easy access to information they have with the internet today that we didn’t have. That just shows you all they do with these technologies is play and debase their minds with nonsense not learn.

Mind you I am just in my mid 30’s, not that old and I can already see the vast decline in the quality of youth we are producing today compared to my university days.

3 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 15, 2021
crackhaus:

Yes they lived through the military era and saw firsthand what that was like, but it was still a better deal than what we have now.

Nigeria/Nigerians didn't have such a bad rep in the eyes of the world back then.

Just having a university degree guaranteed you a job without the need for man-know-man or bribing your way into federal agencies.
My dad with his University of Ibadan 2'2 degree didn't stay without work for up to 3 months after serving – got a really good job for that matter.

Nigerians could travel easier back then and even though the standard of living wasn't all that high, things were affordable in comparison.
Today, the standard of living is low (even lower if we're being honest), yet commodities aren't that affordable.

The internet age, satellite TV, and advent of mobile devices which ushered in the era of remote jobs and internet-based sources of income, also came with the introduction of make-believe lifestyles from watching reality shows like MTV cribs, KUWTK, etc...
Young Nigerians became obsessed with living wealthy lifestyles and acquiring expensive things (even when unnecessary).

Older Nigerians definitely had a much better Nigeria than we do now. It wasn't heaven then, but it still wasn't as hellish as it is now.
People actually lived in Nigeria back then, but what people are doing now is surviving – there's a big difference.

I can't even take my car to a random mechanic to fix for me because they will bill me like a yahoo boy. lipsrsealed
Internet fraudsters who don't mind paying whatever price they're told to pay for anything, have succeeded in contributing to inflation.

All those overpriced estates in places like Lekki built on top of reclaimed land that is just hoping/praying the sea doesn't develop mood swing, do you think if they were not seeing people to buy them, they won't drop the prices?

My brother, the overall mentality of Nigerians is very different now from what it was then.

Although it's not that the country was European-standard for older Nigerians back in the day, but contentment seemed to be more prevalent as people were okay with just having the basics/having just what was necessary.

I have a lot more I could type on this topic, but I've exceeded my social media allocated time for today. grin

This Is the only sensible comment on this thread so far. Thank you. I was born In the 80's....

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by twosquare(m): 9:34pm On Sep 15, 2021
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. I took time to read all. So much lies and lies of people trying to paint the good old days. Idealising the past is sweet; just looking at their head, spurning lies like spiders...

*If you want to know the truth, check the art of that era (literary themes & works); newspapers, memoirs, journals, etc. You will sniff it out. Not people who lived with privileged parents or someone who was fed by his/her parents, only thinking the world revolves around 1% of their experiences.

It is relative.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by hahn(m): 11:08pm On Sep 15, 2021
Ikwerelastborn:

Anywhere I see your comment the next thing that comes to my mind is Atheist cheesy cheesy

Lol. At least something comes to mind cheesy grin
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 12:44am On Sep 16, 2021
twosquare:
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. I took time to read all. So much lies and lies of people trying to paint the good old days. Idealising the past is sweet; just looking at their head, spurning lies like spiders...

*If you want to know the truth, check the art of that era (literary themes & works); newspapers, memoirs, journals, etc. You will sniff it out. Not people who lived with privileged parents or someone who was fed by his/her parents, only thinking the world revolves around 1% of their experiences.

It is relative.
ROFLMAO
grin wink cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin

Art during the 80s and 90s? Na images from Festac 77 still dey my mind from that time... lipsrsealed
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by calcal: 1:42am On Sep 16, 2021
Sincerely, that was a terrible experience. awaiting results, no job, even no fuckmate.

When the sleeping was too much, I join Jeahoval withness to pass away time.

No day wey that country good.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 1:53am On Sep 16, 2021
calcal:
Sincerely, that was a terrible experience. awaiting results, no job, even no fuckmate.

Many people probably ended up joining one religious group or another to pass away them. Unfortunately, that was also the beginning of Nigeria's nosedive into the pit of religiosity as we see today. undecided
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Offpoint1: 5:12am On Sep 16, 2021
hahn:

There was no constant electricity or access to loans. No atm, no internet, no GSM, multicellular cost like N300k and that was big fvcking money then for one huge pile of junk.

And they grew up in the military regime where there was NO freedom of speech

All they could do was sleep grin
They slept and ruined our present
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Offpoint1: 5:14am On Sep 16, 2021
Citygal:

In the early 90s
this thread is meant for 70s and 80s, you're too young to contribute.

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 5:28am On Sep 16, 2021
calcal:

Let's please not forget how ASUU made our lives miserable even back then. I don't understand why that group remains relevant to this day. Nigerians suppose don throw dm inside dustbin by now. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 16, 2021
Offpoint1:

this thread is meant for 70s and 80s, you're too young to contribute.

Until we start exchanging banters now before you respect yourself.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by VTJN(m): 7:27am On Sep 16, 2021
Limassol:
And who told you teenage pregnancy and young males going into crime was non-existent? History suggests these baby-boomers were as bad if not worst... You think these guys were saints back then, if you do then you've been fooled for real,and seriously need a rethink.
You Can't compare the lifestyle of that generation to this present one, it's a two different thing. Every generation had their bad side no doubt, but this present one is nothing to write home about and worse than past generations. This isn't new to us that this generation got lots of baggages.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Offpoint1: 7:38am On Sep 16, 2021
Citygal:

Until we start exchanging banters now before you respect yourself.
This early morning? Lol you're too old for thatgrin
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by VTJN(m): 8:01am On Sep 16, 2021
SlyfoxxjReturns:

Who says? Of course we socialized and I partied hard in my university days, in fact I don’t think Uni students of today party as much as we used to then. But we always maintained our focus and had much stronger principles at the end of the day. The shame and stigma of failing in school, getting pregnant before marriage or generally not doing well in life was so strong back then that it always kept us in check no matter how much we wanted to misbehave. Kids today no longer have that fear that’s why they busy doing drugs, getting knocked up and dropping out of school anyhow.

Also we didn’t have to deal with what I call the ultimate distraction of this generation - social media. Back then we had distractions but they were not as instant and “in your face” like it is today with smartphones and social media. I don’t see any mind stimulating thing on most of these platforms. It’s all sex and other forms of immorality 24/7. We expanded our minds back then by reading books, watching documentaries and other educational stuff to the extent that I am more articulate and knowledgeable than most kids currently in university that I speak with. Why is that? despite all the easy access to information they have with the internet today that we didn’t have. That just shows you all they do with these technologies is play and debase their minds with nonsense not learn.

Mind you I am just in my mid 30’s, not that old and I can already see the vast decline in the quality of youth we are producing today compared to my university days.
Aptly said.

We mis-used, and abused the opportunities having access to the internet. Their general slangs now is "school na scam." They indulged in all sorts of crimes and atrocities just to make money. Infact, some parents encourages their wards to go into crime. They laughed and make jest of some of us who ain't in support of such. They claimed we couldn't land a job despite our utmost performance in school. Yet, we bent on punishing ourselves since we ressolved never to join the bandwagon and live a fulfilling life according to them. The social media had done more harm than good no doubt. I was in a public bus last week, a man was telling his fellow passenger he doesn't had TV set in his house. The passenger responded why? The man claimed that TV you see, is one of the factors influencing today's generation astray. He claimed there's absolutely nothing good on it aside sports and cartoons. He claimed his kids would live with or without a TV set. Go to secondary school today, you hardly see students who doesn't indulged in boyfriend and girlfriend of a thing. Our tertiary institutions is nothing to write home about that. Our government also are not helping matters. Some TV programmes needs to be ban seriously. Less than 30% of this our generation stand firm. Drugs, cyber crime, sex, porn, bad dressing et al. God have mercy on us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Nobody: 8:17am On Sep 16, 2021
crackhaus:

I grew up under millitary rule, and trust me, Nigerians have it much better now. Economically, job opportunities were far and few between - and there certainly was still a lot of man know man. There was a lot of insecurity and (non-political) assassinations were rampant. Social mobility was pretty difficult. The government frequently sponsored cultists to kill and maim student activists on campus. Random people were disappeared, and we couldn't mention Abacha's name out loud on our own front porch. Covol Servants earned bloody peanuts, and we all stood in long queues at NITEL to make phonecalls.

Nigeria's name was bad even back then: the country was a transit hub for drug smuggling (aided by the millitary regime) - google Gloria Okon. If you think Yahoo boys are new, then clearly you are too young to remember the glory days of Goddy Anabor, Anajemba, Ade Bendel etc.

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:25am On Sep 16, 2021
Bagehot:

I grew up under millitary rule, and trust me, Nigerians have it much better now. Economically, job opportunities were far and few between - and there certainly was still a lot of man know man. There was a lot of insecurity and (non-political) assassinations were rampant. Social mobility was pretty difficult. The government frequently sponsored cultists to kill and maim student activists on campus. Random people were disappeared, and we couldn't mention Abacha's name out loud on our own front porch. Covol Servants earned bloody peanuts, and we all stood in long queues at NITEL to make phonecalls.

Nigeria's name was bad even back then: the country was a transit hub for drug smuggling (aided by the millitary regime) - google Gloria Okon. If you think Yahoo boys are new, then clearly you are too young to remember the glory days of Goddy Anabor, Anajemba, Ade Bendel etc.
God terrible narration. Nigeria has always been an absolute shithole damn.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Husband Uses Aboniki, Mentholatum And Powder To Have Sex With Me / Please What Would You Do If Your Dad Refuses To Allow Yo To Change Church / Mum Ran Away 13 Years Ago, Abandoned Me, Sister – Osun Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.