Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,700 members, 7,805,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur (21926 Views)

Is There A Reason As To Why A Bank Should Ask This Question? / My Dilemma As Contract Staff In A Bank / Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by einsteine(m): 12:15pm On Sep 14, 2021
membranus:

https://www.reuters.com/article/jp-morgan-moves-venture-capital-idUSL2N27L0AR

JP Morgan is a global Integrated financial holding company with a VC arm. They are not doing alternative investment (which is what venture capital and private equity are) with customer deposits but with capital provided by LPs (Limited Partners).
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by sylve11: 12:21pm On Sep 14, 2021
SimplyFacts:
Should we tell him?

Reminds me of smeagol of The Lord of The Rings. grin cool

1 Like

Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by bukxy: 12:27pm On Sep 14, 2021
lessonotes:

I can't understand you either; is it you can or you can't; which one?

No Bank will give you a loan for an idea, you can try venture capitalists, but before you do, be armed with your business model canvas hypothesis, research and growth potentials for your idea as well as customer pains you're trying to eliminate and gains you wish to proffer. Also an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) will not be bad.

If no way for there, look for all these bootcamps sprints online e.g F6S (https://www.f6s.com/) and go through them, also save money if you're a salary earner so that you can bring your idea to fruition.

great! quoting this for the future

1 Like

Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by AfroKnight: 12:31pm On Sep 14, 2021
lessonotes:

I can't understand you either; is it you can or you can't; which one?

No Bank will give you a loan for an idea, you can try venture capitalists, but before you do, be armed with your business model canvas hypothesis, research and growth potentials for your idea as well as customer pains you're trying to eliminate and gains you wish to proffer. Also an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) will not be bad.

If no way for there, look for all these bootcamps sprints online e.g F6S (https://www.f6s.com/) and go through them, also save money if you're a salary earner so that you can bring your idea to fruition.

It’s not everyday we see people who share such valuable advice on Nairaland. Thank you!

Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by Highlyrespected(m): 12:34pm On Sep 14, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar
Isoright ....

You see why youths do anything to make money..

This is what I keep on telling my niggarrrrs

Before you become successful in this gadamnnn world......sometimes you have to do something illegal first.....then as the money comes...stop that illegal dope shit and use the money to pursue that your legal dream

This na exactly how most of our millionaires and Billionaires take start...because at the beginning nobody will help, sponsore or invest in your ideas especially if you are from a poor background
Well said but I disagree about doing something illegal.
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by Tinyemeka(m): 12:57pm On Sep 14, 2021
membranus:

JP Morgan, and other Investment Banks, have venture capital division.

I'd beg to disagree on that.

Those banks have their Investment Banking divisions that provide services relating to advisory, due diligence, M&A, etc.

JP Morgan has a Private Equity holding (JP Morgan Partners LLC) not VC.

Modus operandi of VCs and PEs are quite different.

PE firms provide funding with a view to gaining majority control of an existing or mature firm. Firms that are well past their growth phase.

VCs on the other hand are not primarily interested in having majority control, but would rather provide funding to have a stake in early-stage startups that have a high potential for strong growth and performance. Those are the kind of partners OP should be looking for.

Banks and PE firms would rather be interested in investing in an already running company (usually one they deem to be under-performing and under-estimated, take control of the company's management and operations, turn it around for the better and then sell it off - exit the investment per se - when the fortunes of the acquired company have improved).
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by DrDax: 1:02pm On Sep 14, 2021
IsaacRocks:
#Storytime.
I Once went to the bank to pitch one of my products (a lean startup under Pantakers) to one of the popular Banks in Abuja, after talking about the partnership type and showing my prototypes and idea, carelessly the lady just looked straight at me and said.

"No1 I don't understand what you are talking about.

No2 you can have access to any facility either in loan or fund from the bank".

This statement almost killed me immediately, mhen entrepreneurs in Africa especially Nigeria are suffering oo, with tears in my eyes .
I left there knowing that God that gave me the idea will water it and those banks will one day come and beg to invest in my idea.

Sorry for your experience.

As a rule, Nigerian banks do not lend to start-ups. There's too much risk involved and no track record with which they can make informed financial decision.

Your best bet is family and friends, then other people's money (OPM). The govt option through CBN and it's subsidiaries is a hit or miss.

Welcome to Nigeria.
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by membranus: 1:03pm On Sep 14, 2021
Tinyemeka:

I'd beg to disagree on that.

Those banks have their Investment Banking divisions that provide services relating to advisory, due diligence, M&A, etc.

JP Morgan has a Private Equity holding (JP Morgan Partners LLC) not VC.

Modus operandi of VCs and PEs are quite different.

PE firms provide funding with a view to gaining majority control of an existing or mature firm. Firms that are well past their growth phase.

VCs on the other hand are not primarily interested in having majority control, but would rather provide funding to have a stake in early-stage startups that have a high potential for strong growth and performance. Those are the kind of partners OP should be looking for.

Banks and PE firms would rather be interested in investing in an already running company (usually one they deem to be under-performing and under-estimated, take control of the company's management and operations, turn it around for the better and then sell it off - exit the investment per se - when the fortunes of the acquired company have improved).

Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by Shokoloko(f): 1:03pm On Sep 14, 2021
membranus:

NEW YORK, Nov 5 (Reuters) - JPMorgan Chase & Co said on Tuesday that it hired a team of four bankers to lead a new team in its commercial bank that connects venture capital investors with fast-growing start-ups in technology, life sciences and other fields.

The key word is connect.
CONNECT not OPERATE

During my time in the bank I actually met people with great business ideas.
I knew that the bank would not loan money for a plan so I connected them with people who could partner with them and "hands offed" the project.
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by IsaacRocks(m): 1:17pm On Sep 14, 2021
SimplyFacts:
Should we tell him?

Your idea might have been stolen, bro.
Be prepared to sue the bank grin

grin I know that so I kept every record possible of Myvisit

1 Like

Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by IsaacRocks(m): 1:18pm On Sep 14, 2021
Isupaefugbemi00:
Na wao. I believed that day, you must have dressed to kill.

Thinking you will hit the jackpot.
I swear grin grin
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by IsaacRocks(m): 1:19pm On Sep 14, 2021
Kazim88:
Bank all over the world don't give unsecure loan to start up and "Idea".

Some bank won't even give you loan with a valuable collateral if you are a start up.

It's not worth the risk for both the bank and entrepreneur.

Now, coming to Nigeria where the system for loan recovery is non existence making loan interest terribly high. where 1 out of 500 Entrepreneur stays afloat after 5 years according to CAC statistics.
Where ignorant career politicians, fraudsters makes doing business almost impossible...

For working into a Nigerian bank seeking funding for a Idea, you should be arrested and counsel for attempting suicide.

Lastly, I pray you succeed. The process and your struggles to the top will make you understand and appreciate that banker lady.

Hun thanks man
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by CapitalBank: 1:28pm On Sep 14, 2021
IsaacRocks:
#Storytime.
I Once went to the bank to pitch one of my products (a lean startup under Pantakers) to one of the popular Banks in Abuja, after talking about the partnership type and showing my prototypes and idea, carelessly the lady just looked straight at me and said.

This statement almost killed me immediately, mhen entrepreneurs in Africa especially Nigeria are suffering oo, with tears in my eyes .
I left there knowing that God that gave me the idea will water it and those banks will one day come and beg to invest in my idea.

If you can bootstrap, do it. Besides, people only invest in businesses in profitable motion that needs boost to take things to the next level.
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by Tinyemeka(m): 1:30pm On Sep 14, 2021
membranus:

Kindly re-read the article.

JP is serving as an intermediary between VC investors and banks that service startups.

It's not going to be providing funds for investment but rather a network of connections and clients.

Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by EmyGod(m): 1:39pm On Sep 14, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggar
Isoright ....

You see why youths do anything to make money..

This is what I keep on telling my niggarrrrs

Before you become successful in this gadamnnn world......sometimes you have to do something illegal first.....then as the money comes...stop that illegal dope shit and use the money to pursue that your legal dream

This na exactly how most of our millionaires and Billionaires take start...because at the beginning nobody will help, sponsore or invest in your ideas especially if you are from a poor background
I don't buy your idea, one thing we don't understand is that the calamity behind every evil is more than the little enjoyment, money is good but not through evil. An evil money can never give you peace though sometimes it takes time before the calamity begin to strike.
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by Zico777(m): 1:41pm On Sep 14, 2021
900warriorz:
enclose all you are typing within the two middle brackets...nothing out, all in
Thanks Baba, let's me give it another try.

I finally got it. U will make a good teacher.
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by Joshue1593: 1:41pm On Sep 14, 2021
Dear Sir/Ma!

Trust this meets you well.

Kindly refer to your friends, colleagues, family, and business associates that need soft loans to me.

Whether they are salaried earners, self-employed, or business owners. Cititrust Credit limited
a subsidiary of Cititrust Financial Services Plc offers a soft loan between 50,000naira up to 100 million naira with a flexible repayment plan that spread across the calendar.

Our interest rate remains the best in the market.

Requirement for Loan application

1. Copy of valid ID of customer
2. Copy of valid ID of guarantor
3. Duly filled completed Loan application and guarantor forms
4. Last 6 months statement of account of customer and guarantor (for amount >100,000 naira)

5. Signed undated cheques of customer and guarantor covering the tenor of the loan (for amount >100,000 naira)
6.A recent utility bill of residence of customer.
7. Original document of collateral

Contact details;
121, Lencarl Mall, Broad street, Lagos island.

Email: Jolorunnado@cititrustcredit.com
Phone No. 07030742082

Thanks for your time!!!
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by 900warriorz: 1:49pm On Sep 14, 2021
Zico777:

Thanks Baba, let's me give it another try.

I finally got it. U will make a good teacher.
Thanks boss.....I actually have a passion for teaching. Just wanna make money first before going back to teaching.
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by In2systemsTech(m): 1:53pm On Sep 14, 2021
TheOgaBoss:
mfb's charge too much interest, they are like online loan sharks

Your brain no tell you say na auto correct...
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by Kazim88: 1:53pm On Sep 14, 2021
poiZon:

Is education a secured venture?
But banks in US give loans for studies, education is just like commerce, u might forecast its future, but the future have its own outcome.

In US, a college degree certificate is a huge investment.
And the financiers, the bank and the employers knows one thing in common.

They need more labor... More trained labor but training labor is very expensive and most labourers can't afford to be trained so the created the college loan system with the aim of training laborers on credit, when the labourer start working fanaciers due to the efficient loan management system he pays back his employers.

But for enterprise, you are a competitor, with no benefit to the financier.
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by Chidexsco8448(m): 1:56pm On Sep 14, 2021
perambulator:

I sincerely have no idea what you are talking about and it seems it's the same over half of the people who have commented! Maybe you have a problem expressing yourself/communicating and the lady didnt understand what you were saying.
I had to read it twice b4 I realized he actually made an error there...

OP be calm n focused fr it's well with u bro
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by Zico777(m): 2:03pm On Sep 14, 2021
900warriorz:
Thanks boss.....I actually have a passion for teaching. Just wanna make money first before going back to teaching.
Wow!

1 Like

Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by CedarHoldings: 2:15pm On Sep 14, 2021
Op you can start a whatsapp group and this idea for people to pertner with you
IsaacRocks:
#Storytime.

Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by ChaDiv: 3:21pm On Sep 14, 2021
No means Next Opportunity.

Keep pitching and making moves.

Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by pacespot(m): 3:45pm On Sep 14, 2021
IsaacRocks:
#Storytime.

You are talking to an ordinary cashier or customer care representative, is she the owner of the bank? She might even be an ordinary contract staff.

Go and meet one of personalities in the board of directors to pitch your partnership with the bank.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by nedekid: 4:33pm On Sep 14, 2021
Op, Nigerian banks wount give you financing simply because Nigerians do not have a repayment culture. When it is time to pay, they come up with all sorts of excuses.
The banks have looked at it as not worth the effort to chase loan defaulters, so the just avoid placing themselves in the creditor situation.
OP see as you are humble now seeking financing, when it is time to pay your voice go change. If the banks use unconventional means eg contacting you contacts like sokoloan does, una go complain.
So basically no one gives loans unless you work in civil service, multinationals etc where loans will have direct debit from your salary account.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by IsaacRocks(m): 6:03pm On Sep 14, 2021
hahn:

No 2. Can or Can't?

Can't, couldn't correct it after hitting front page
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by IsaacRocks(m): 6:04pm On Sep 14, 2021
Curious345:
Drop your email now

Misaacrock@gmail.com
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by IsaacRocks(m): 6:07pm On Sep 14, 2021
jimmyolasun:
Whats the idea, maybe I can invest in it...

IsaacRocks

Chat me up on Whatsapp sir 07069440262
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by MostIncredibleDFirst: 10:16pm On Sep 14, 2021
Wrong move! Until you have an MVP (a minimum viable product), you don't need a bank loan for a business. You should rather talk to angel investors and friends and family for funding. Read up on the various ways to raise money for a startup as a founder.
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by Llyodsjids(m): 2:25pm On Sep 18, 2021
BigBashiru:

They call ur country shit hole and you swallow hook line and sinker.
prove us all wrong that this country ain't a shit hole
Re: My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur by BigBashiru: 2:47pm On Sep 18, 2021
Llyodsjids:
prove us all wrong that this country ain't a shit hole

We don't hv much gun violence like America

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dentistry Or Pharmacy. Which Is More Lucrative And Who Earns More? / I Want To Relocate To Uyo Without Job Assurance / Pursuing Money Vs Education: Should I Drop Out Of School?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.