Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,404 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? (45450 Views)

Dangote Farms Faces Liquidation For ‘Defaulting’ On Arbitral Award / What Will Happen If One Fails To Pay Back Loan From Loan App? / Failed E-transactions: Report Defaulting Banks To Us- CBN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by Acidosis(m): 7:26am On Sep 14, 2021
Adam09:
Oga, you have integrity issue. It is better to borrow from someone you know than these loan sharks.
But you can also make money from them if you sue them for privacy violation.

If you can't refund a stranger (loan app), you won't pay 'someone you know'

2 Likes

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by einsteine(m): 7:28am On Sep 14, 2021
ezegold4we:
They will not arrest u, all they will do is to put your account details And bvn number under automatic credit to Their account,

The only thing that will stop u From paying them is two things,one is if you are no Longer existing on Earth and The second one is if you stop Making use of all ur bank accounts becos that bvn number u gave to Them is linked to all ur account's,

Finally try and pay becos Right now, Ur Bill is increasing on a daily basis due to extra interest being accmulated

Actually, lots of people get away without paying.

They can't use your BVN to do direct debits as they do not have a banking license. CBN did not license them so they can't use the CBN's system to get back the money. That's why you see them relying solely on social shaming as the way to recover their loans.

My sympathies would never be with companies charging 2500% APR annualised. They are getting up to 500k interest yearly from a 14k loan. That's usurious.

1 Like

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by Jobminister: 7:29am On Sep 14, 2021
go and pay back your loan, and stop taking loan if you don't have plans of paying back.

1 Like

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by phenol33(m): 7:29am On Sep 14, 2021
Kingcalls:
They can't arrest u... its even illegal to arrest anyone that has a bad loan... thats y these companies should put documents in place like getting a collateral....they can only use corrupt police to intimidate u... as long as u dint drop a post dated cheque , no one can charge u to court for failing to pay a loan... unless if its stated in the contract and u accept it but they don't put such in contracts cos its illegal... no one can go to jail for failing to pay a loan, unless they can prove beyond reasonable doubt that u diverted the funds for some other personal use ..then they can turn it to a fraud case
why are trying to decieve OP, did u tell him that the loan company will send his name to CBN, which CBN will keep keep in their database of loan defaulters . Which other banks have access to anytime. This singular act of OP have killed his integrity in his future business community.
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by einsteine(m): 7:29am On Sep 14, 2021
smasher1:

These person has no reputation to protect. He's trying to see the worst thing the company would do. Not knowing that whenever you default, your bad credit file is hosted and and financial institution in Nigeria would see it especially, when you need another loan in future.

Again not true. These particular set of companies don't even record their loans with credit rating agencies because their loans break usury laws.

3 Likes

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by einsteine(m): 7:32am On Sep 14, 2021
Ofadaman:

His other banks will be debited if he has money in it, that's how it works now. Its a current CBN mandate to most banks, if you are a chronic debtor, they can flag your bvn and send to the CBN, NIBSS will force debit all accounts linked to your bvn to repay the loan amount.

This is not true. These are not banks and do not have any CBN license to do this.

4 Likes

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by adetayoonas(m): 7:32am On Sep 14, 2021
Ofadaman:

Joker!.

They were never fined, since you people agree that they are not regulated by CBN, this makes them very dangerous because they are like money lenders and can go to any length to recover their money, including tracking you down or your loved ones or involving police or vigilante around.

But if they are regulated, they'd simply send your details to credit reporting agencies, and CBN,so you can't access any more loans from other institution and they can also publish your name on newspaper.

And for your notice, Banks publishes the names of defaulters on newspaper monthly.

At this point, you will wish that these people are regulated because if they aren't regulated you'd be in more trouble ,so chose wiselt

On point �

Let's tell Nigerians the right thing.
Loan defaulting is like stealing. It is not good to default loans.

U are only wasting your time if u sue them for privacy violation cos it wasn't by force they gave u d loan. U asked for it. So pay ASAP.
Your attitude to default on loan is not good at all. Go and pay your loan.
Haba. Why are we like this in this country?

It is quite sad to see people even encouraging this bad act. Loan is why Europe, America and Canada economy grows but people in Nigeria are great defaulters even some of our politicians.

3 Likes

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by Raxxye(m): 7:33am On Sep 14, 2021
Anuoluwagbemiga:
Hello nairalanders,I borrowed 15000 from a app loan and I failed to return the money on the date I suppose to .Now they keep sending messages to some people on my WhatsApp contact that I'm dubious bla bla bla and im planning to pay it back but they are not ready to listen and they even said they will publish my name may be on news papers.please what else can they do to me.pleaee don't mind my typo error

Good day, please be informed that **** ****
is indebted to a loan company and has refused to pay, is acting dubious kindly notify he to avoid being publish as a criminal.to pay today to avoid embarrassment.[/img]Hello nairalanders,I borrowed 15000 from a app loan and I failed to return the money on the date I suppose to .Now they keep sending messages to some people on my WhatsApp contact that I'm dubious bla bla bla and im planning to pay it back but they are not ready to listen and they even said they will publish my name may be on news papers.please what else can they do to me.pleaee don't mind my typo error

Good day, please be informed that (my name)
is indebted to a loan company and has refused to pay, is acting dubious kindly notify he to avoid being publish as a criminal.to pay today to avoid embarrassment.
I pray they arrest and jail you bc you are deserving of it!
You borrow and do not want to pay back!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by adetayoonas(m): 7:33am On Sep 14, 2021
einsteine:

This is not true. These are not banks and do not have any CBN license to do this.

They will get the license if they don't have.
There is a global standing instruction
Pls let us stop encouraging loan defaulters.

U are only wasting your time if u sue them for privacy violation cos it wasn't by force they gave u d loan. U asked for it. So pay ASAP.

It is quite sad to see people even encouraging this bad act. Loan is why Europe, America and Canada grows but people in Nigeria are great defaulters even some of our politicians.
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by Joyceaile(f): 7:35am On Sep 14, 2021
RapistOnBail:

You see one of the many reasons not to trust Nigerians with your money?

They come begging and dying for loans. Give them and see if you’ll get it back in due time.

Op,

You and other Nigerians who are loan defaulters are MAD!!!

I once gave a so called fri”ENEMY” of mine money to pay for an apartment cos I wasn’t in town and I wanted making payments ASAP to secure this apartment.

3 days passed and this caretaker kept telling me she hasn’t received any payment from any of my friends she saw when We went for the inspection.

I called the Bandit who refused picking my calls ever since I started pressurizing him to either pay for the house or send me back my funds.

Las las, the idiot sent me back about 30% of the money I gave him.

As a wise business man, I took the 30% and left the rest for him.

Today, the guy is broke and helpless. He has lost the only source of livelihood and can’t call me for any help.

I sit on my throne and watch him suffer. I’m waiting for his eventual death which will mean nothing to me.

Ciao.

chai this brother is harsh
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by Kaiser20: 7:37am On Sep 14, 2021
Give those idiot loans they will not payback. Refuse them loan they will complain that the government is not helping the youths to grow businesses.
How can someone approach a borrower without any collateral, gets a loan then refused to payback
They will not pay also their landlords.
Poverty have continued to stay permanently with some persons until they change their attitude of. ...give me, give me. give me.. give me.
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by RubiesBanking: 7:37am On Sep 14, 2021
I really don't blame them to be honest. I still remember when I borrowed one of my guy around 50k and he promised to pay back next week.

When it reached the week he was supposed to pay, i started hearing stories and it kept on going for over 3 months. I had to involve some guys to collect my money from this dude before he could pay back.

And do you know the most funniest thing? The dude started acting as if I'm wicked and all but he decided to block me and not respond to my messages for almost 2 months?

Initially I didn't support what these apps do nowadays calling your contacts to retrieve their money, but honestly most Nigerians are very wicked when it comes to paying back the money they owe. If you don't involve someone to threaten him to pay back you won't see your money.

Some even brag to themselves how they did not pay up thinking they're wise and they pocketed free money. That nonsense attitude must stop.

If you know you don't have a means of paying up during the agreed time it's best you don't go to them for help.
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by FatherCHRISTMAS: 7:38am On Sep 14, 2021
Yes you can
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by jimter44(m): 7:40am On Sep 14, 2021
Why did you borrowed in the first place when you are supposed to lend to nations? Go and pay the loan and don't borrow again.
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by uchwar1: 7:45am On Sep 14, 2021
Go pay your dept my friend. I keep receiving useless text messages from people I can't remember due to money they borrowed online. Stop betting, u refused. Insincere people everywhere
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by Emilo(m): 7:47am On Sep 14, 2021
Nigerians sef, una funny oh. Some of u are saying he shld pay up, pay up, like as if if he had d money he wouldnt have paid. Who loves d public embarrassment?

3 Likes

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by Offpoint1: 7:48am On Sep 14, 2021
RapistOnBail:

You see one of the many reasons not to trust Nigerians with your money?

They come begging and dying for loans. Give them and see if you’ll get it back in due time.

Op,

You and other Nigerians who are loan defaulters are MAD!!!

I once gave a so called fri”ENEMY” of mine money to pay for an apartment cos I wasn’t in town and I wanted making payments ASAP to secure this apartment.

3 days passed and this caretaker kept telling me she hasn’t received any payment from any of my friends she saw when We went for the inspection.

I called the Bandit who refused picking my calls ever since I started pressurizing him to either pay for the house or send me back my funds.

Las las, the idiot sent me back about 30% of the money I gave him.

As a wise business man, I took the 30% and left the rest for him.

Today, the guy is broke and helpless. He has lost the only source of livelihood and can’t call me for any help.

I sit on my throne and watch him suffer. I’m waiting for his eventual death which will mean nothing to me.

Ciao.

You're waiting for someone dead because of money....what makes you different from him now?

4 Likes

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by Dumte(m): 7:54am On Sep 14, 2021
My people, just avoid Sokoloan, 9jacash and Okash by all means. Their agenda is to deform someone's image. And the worst part is that these companies are own by Chinese, and they employ Nigerians to embarrass their fellow citizens.

1 Like

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by EgunMogaji2: 7:57am On Sep 14, 2021
signature2012:
Even though these loan companies charge very high interest rate.As a borrower,you are never meant to default paying back.

These companies borrow funds to start operation.Of everyone who borrow default,how will they survive.

I don’t think credit system can ever work in Nigeria.In the West,they will just send your details to collection and you might be forever bleeped.

Haba, not forever nau.
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by EmmyG012(m): 7:58am On Sep 14, 2021
Anuoluwagbemiga:
Hello nairalanders,I borrowed 15000 from a app loan and I failed to return the money on the date I suppose to .Now they keep sending messages to some people on my WhatsApp contact that I'm dubious bla bla bla and im planning to pay it back but they are not ready to listen and they even said they will publish my name may be on news papers.please what else can they do to me.pleaee don't mind my typo error

Just look for a way to pay back to avoid further embarrassment.
is indebted to a loan company and has refused to pay, is acting dubious kindly notify he to avoid being publish as a criminal.to pay today to avoid embarrassment.[/img]Hello nairalanders,I borrowed 15000 from a app loan and I failed to return the money on the date I suppose to .Now they keep sending messages to some people on my WhatsApp contact that I'm dubious bla bla bla and im planning to pay it back but they are not ready to listen and they even said they will publish my name may be on news papers.please what else can they do to me.pleaee don't mind my typo error

is indebted to a loan company and has refused to pay, is acting dubious kindly notify he to avoid being publish as a criminal.to pay today to avoid embarrassment.
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by EgunMogaji2: 7:59am On Sep 14, 2021
Offpoint1:

You're waiting for someone dead because of money....what makes you different from him now?

I keep a healthy list of people whose death I am ready to celebrate. I'm sure that I'm on a list of few.

I run a Google notification for several of them. One day I got notified that one got arrested for pedophilia in Texas. I personally went and danced in front of his house and his office. I printed a shirt with his picture where he was wearing jail clothes and in handcuffs.

If you stand by the river long enough you'll see the body of your enemies float by grin

1 Like

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by EmmyG012(m): 7:59am On Sep 14, 2021
Just look for a way to pay back to avoid further embarrassment.
Anuoluwagbemiga:

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by Stephenmoka4(m): 8:01am On Sep 14, 2021
redcliff:

look at how much you are even basking in the fact that you are a debtor but you blame your politicans for bad governance. you are not even different. I spit om your comment.
I'm not a debtor, didn't you read where I mentioned my number is in a defaulter's contact list. I received phone calls from them telling me XYZ defaulted a loan, I know it's all this app I just hear them, end call undecided
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 14, 2021
Anuoluwagbemiga:
thanks

Look, I won't blame you for defaulting cos I don't know the circumstances.

But I want you to offer to meet up with them and explain to them what's gone wrong and the plans and measures you are taking to pay up.

It is when you run away and stay incommunicado that they'll start suspecting you.

Meet them with a drawn up plan by you how you'll pay up and give them a deadline that you intend to pay up.

If you have a lawyer friend who'd take your case pro Bono, then go with him to this meeting so they know you're serious.

And please pay up.
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by Stephenmoka4(m): 8:03am On Sep 14, 2021
heykims:

I am a huge disappointment to my family, community, state, nation and even the world.
ok
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by Coldie(m): 8:03am On Sep 14, 2021
Y would u take a loan and refuse to pay?

Na all of una cast Nigeria make people wicked. The people doing the loan business did they pick the money from ground?

Go and pay the money
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by Newboss(m): 8:05am On Sep 14, 2021
Mynd44:
What sort of badly behaved people are we in Nigeria?
While the loan company have no right to access your contact list and call you names (that permission agreement you agreed to regardless), you are also a huge part of the problem.

Those of you who default on these loans and act a certain kind of way don't even know the extent your behaviour damages society. People like you are the reason the honest serious ones and small scale businesses can't get loans because the loan providers have either lost confidence in the system or has gone bankrupt.

The casual way you are even going about it says you are more bothered about what they can or cannot do to you than actually doing what you are supposed to do which is pay back your loan

People default on loans very often for reasons beyond their control. These guys start sending texts to your contacts the day after the loan is due.

Their victims should never pay a dime back. They have already collected their payments in kind

2 Likes

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by Oyerinde16(m): 8:07am On Sep 14, 2021
Dodoproperties:
They

U don't know what's up,
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by YoungBlackRico(m): 8:07am On Sep 14, 2021
Why do you guys keep doing this I wish those apps have the power to do more really. Too many bad eggs in this country yet yall quick to shout bad leadership!
Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by twhy111(m): 8:09am On Sep 14, 2021
Newboss:

People default on loans very often for reasons beyond their control. These guys start sending texts to your contacts the day after the loan is due.

Their victims should never pay a dime back. They have already collected their payments in kind

This your judgement is harsh and biased. Though I don't support the way they go after the defaulters by sending texts to their contact.

But put yourself in their shoes, do you feel happy when you have a bad debtor around you?

1 Like

Re: Can I Be Arrested For Defaulting On A loan To A Loan App? by einsteine(m): 8:09am On Sep 14, 2021
adetayoonas:

They will get the license if they don't have.
There is a global standing instruction
Pls let us stop encouraging loan defaulters.

It is quite sad to see people even encouraging this bad act. Loan is why Europe, America and Canada grows but people in Nigeria are great defaulters even some of our politicians.

I encourage people to default on loans like this.

They are unlicensed and charge 50% interest for 5 days and you expect people not to default? 50% for 5 days is over 3500% annualised. That's worse than Shylock and the more people dare to them to do their worst, the better for the country. 40-60% weekly interest is not what the country needs financially. These apps are owned by Chinese Shylocks who at the end of the day would pay any exchange rate to convert their gains to dollars and repatriate it, worsening the exchange rate problem.

To any borrower, the moment they message your contacts NEVER EVER pay back. They are not going to undo the reputational damage so you would be stupid to pay back.

As for that fellow saying they will beat the borrower, quit being stupid. The cost of that is higher than the value of the loan. They actually have little to no legal basis for recovery which is why their sole stock in trade is threats, emotional manipulation and social shaming.

Their interest is so high that even if half their borrowers don't pay, they will still be swimming in cash.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Bank Staff Escape Angry Customers By Using The Back Fence To Exit Bank / Banker Friday Ayegba Arrested For Stealing N14.8m From Customer's Account / Eight Ways To Improve Your Chance Of Becoming Wealthy In Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.