Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,845 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

Dietary Supplements - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Dietary Supplements (661 Views)

Effective Ways To Use Dietary Supplements For Weight Loss / Fertility Supplements And How They Boost Fertility And Conception / Ladies, Follow This Free Dietary Tip To Lose Up To Thirty Pounds In One Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dietary Supplements by amanagarwal4: 7:28am On Sep 14, 2021
According to Partnership Capital Growth, LLC, an investment concern, the dietary supplement industry sold $109 billion in 2009, representing a 4.4% increase from the previous year. Additionally, it estimates that 87% of Americans take some form of dietary supplements.

Back in “the day”, when I was in medical school, the philosophy regarding nutrition was decidedly anti-supplement. The snide remark I remember one professor making was that supplements did nothing more than produce “very expensive urine”.

He was implying that most vitamins and supplements were of no use, and were absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract into the bloodstream, and then simply filtered out by the kidneys and excreted into the urine, with no benefit to the individual. Despite the dramatic increase in supplement use since that time, I still occasionally hear this opinion expressed by colleagues.

MORE READ: ss3svc64.exe on startup

On the other hand, some health care practitioners have embraced supplements for a variety of reasons. Some doctors have come to see the health benefits of supplements, while others have discovered that there are profits to be made by marking up supplements and selling them to patients.

Since supplements universally fall outside of health insurance coverage, selling them can be a boon to physicians and other practitioners. Given the lingering attitude that supplements are useless, and the legitimate concern that supplement sellers are interested in profit over health benefits, individuals are generally left to their own devices to decide whether or not to take supplements.

Making was that supplements did nothing more than produce “very expensive urine”. He was implying that most vitamins and supplements were of no use, and were absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract into the bloodstream, and then simply filtered out by the kidneys and excreted into the urine, with no benefit to the individual. Despite the dramatic increase in supplement use since that time, I still occasionally hear this opinion expire.

I can tell you that I believe, based on clinical research, that there are several vitamins and supplements that are relatively inexpensive, and that I believe provide enough benefit to justify the cost.

Much of the information I find on supplements come from the Life Extension Foundation, which does, in fact, sell a line of supplements (I don’t buy mine from them, nor do I sell any supplements). While the Life Extension Foundation does have a profit motive by virtue of selling supplements, I find their articles to be generally well written, and very well supported by clinical research. For those interested in a thorough education on supplements.

Vitamin B complex good starting point. In any case, I thought I would list the supplements I use, and expand on the reasons why I use them in future posts. Here is my list:

Vitamin C
Vitamin D
Vitamin E
Alpha lipoic acid
CoQ 10
Astaxanthin
Resveratrol
Fish oil
Magnesium

In future posts, I’ll highlight one or more of these supplements, including the clinical evidence supporting them.
As a medical professional, I wanted to comment on New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s proposal to ban the sale of sugary soda drinks larger than 16 ounces at fast-food restaurants.

This move is part of Mayor Bloomberg's, personal war against obesity. The reason for the restriction on sugared soft drink sales is supposedly clear: sodas sweetened with sugar (or high fructose corn syrup) are high in calories, and provide zero nutritional value.

However, a quick search of the literature fails to support this supposedly obvious conclusion. I am, however, on board with the concept of cutting out empty calories, like those in sugared soft drinks. I personally can’t remember the last time I had a regular, sugared soda (probably sometime during the Reagan Administration).

But, given that this is America, (supposedly) land of the free, is placing such an arbitrary restriction of the sale of a legal product the right way to fight the damage done by excessive soda consumption? I say yes! (tongue now planted firmly in cheek). In fact, I think the Mayor’s proposal doesn’t go far enough! I think that a dangerous product such as soda should be heavily regulated in all locations, not just fast-food restaurants.

I think that any individual wishing to purchase a sugary drink should first have to pass a body mass index screening. We should install portable BMI-capable scales like this at all retail locations selling soda. Individuals wishing to purchase soda should have to show a BMI measurement of less than 30 in order to buy the drinks.

Those with a BMI above 30 are forbidden from buying soft drinks containing sugar. In order to enforce the ordinance, the city could bring in the Transportation Safety Authority, which could set up checkpoints in front of soda fountains all over the city.

To pay for the program, the city could initiate a “Millionaire's Tax” on families earning over $50,000 per year (after all, those families will have earned $1 million in just 20 years).

On second thought, instead of this top-down, paternalistic approach, maybe people could just take responsibility for their own health, and curtail, or better yet eliminate, sugar-sweetened beverages from their diet. Maybe have a glass of water, or unsweetened tea instead.

ALSO READ: Rise of the tomb raider crashing pc

Re: Dietary Supplements by Yanucar: 10:48pm On May 22, 2022
Hello, modern food is impossible without substances that improve the appearance, taste, color, smell and many other properties of products, i.e. without food additives (both natural and artificial origin). Even those nutritional supplements that are made from natural raw materials still undergo deep chemical processing. Therefore, the consequences of their consumption can be ambiguous. Therefore, now there are natural supplement canada that help strengthen your immunity, as they have extremely beneficial properties.
Re: Dietary Supplements by Mall: 1:36am On Dec 14, 2023
What makes the dietary supplement industry thrive in meeting the rising health-conscious trend? Can you share insights into the success of a particular brand, known for its high-quality products that have garnered positive digital reviews, highlighting notable health improvements experienced by consumers?

(1) (Reply)

Error 404 / How To Be An Affiliate Marketer; For Beginners And Startups Only. / Need A Real Friend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.