Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,189 members, 7,807,642 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:45 PM

How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering (8899 Views)

Industrial Engineering / Industrial Engineering / How To Start A Career In Information Technology As A Novice In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by Xmen149(m): 3:57pm On Sep 15, 2021
ezewealth:

Just about last two month my coz was in need of this mechanical pump something something, for one oil company offshore stuff. The salary was mad, I was even begging him to take although I didn't study anything engineering, he was laughing but told me he need experience guy, I think he had gotten someone. I regret is not studying engineering, I could had gotten job since

If your bro get another opportunity for Electrical/Electronics Engineering abeg reach out to me..I won't mind rewarding you once it pulls through as appreciation package. Can I send you message so we can exchange mails

1 Like

Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by BelieverDE: 4:11pm On Sep 15, 2021
LegendHero:

If you have a Geology undergrad with CGPA of at least 3.5/5 or 3.0/4.0, then you can get admitted easily. Since the course is not that core engineering kind, you can always adapt. I know a lot of guys then with even other courses like Biology that cope very very very very well.

You’ll have lot of take home assignments that contribute much than even exams to your final grade and you can always seek help from your colleague with that. Then all what you learn can just be used in the exams which will make it very easy.
That's a lot for this. I made a research in August about switching to Industrial Engineering and I discovered that I'd need to take courses like Thermodynamics before being offered admission, or take core engineering courses after admission.

Someone I know working in the US, after MSc in Industrial Engineering & Management, told me there are lots of opportunities in that field.

However, I'd like to know the possibility of getting a fully funded ride via cold emailing a professor, even though I have a strong 2'1 in Geology (major in Geophysics)?
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by LegendHero(m): 4:28pm On Sep 15, 2021
BelieverDE:

That's a lot for this. I made a research in August about switching to Industrial Engineering and I discovered that I'd need to take courses like Thermodynamics before being offered admission, or take core engineering courses after admission.
Maybe the school you researched about is not the norm. All through my years I’ve not seen thermodynamics as prerequisite course for IE. I know they ask for statistics course as a prerequisite and even if you did not take that in your undergrad, you can take it when you join the masters program but it won’t count as part of your credit hour (course unit) for graduation. So just look for other schools, they don’t require thermodynamics.

Someone I know working in the US, after MSc in Industrial Engineering & Management, told me there are lots of opportunities in that field.
Vast opportunities bro. You can virtually work in a lot of places with good pay especially if you also try to learn like SQL, Python, and some programming languages here and there, that will open your door path to IT companies which will earn you better pay.

However, I'd like to know the possibility of getting a fully funded ride via cold emailing a professor, even though I have a strong 2'1 in Geology (major in Geophysics)?

This is what I always tell people, you will always get funding when you get to USA school, whether you mail a professor or not. However, the type of funding is what differs. Some get Tuition assiatance, some get TA, and etc.

However because having funding right from Nigeria could increase your visa chances, it’s very better to email professors to see if they can take you as their Research assistant because that will not only give you full funding opportunities but also allow the funding to be shown on your I-20 and can improve your chances at the embassy.

Also, you can mail the graduate coordinator of the department too and ask for Teaching assistantship or any other tuition assistance that exist in the department. If they grant you, then you can be sure you have something to put on your I-20 and can improve your visa chances. Infact some schools even give full funding.

So proceed to email professors and department graduate coordinators too for funding opportunities, TA, RA, and etc. If you do Geology, some might say you need to get there before they can accept you as TA but with GRE you stand a bigger chances. However note that even without GRE you can still merit it so don’t let that hold you down at all. There is no one way about these things. Just do your part.

If you need more help, visit this thread on Nairaland. You can always find schools to apply to, how to email professors, visa questions, and etc.

https://www.nairaland.com/6354180/general-usa-student-visa-enquiries-part

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by Shikena(m): 5:29pm On Sep 15, 2021
Too many severely limited 'experts' on this thread grin
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by Gfskw: 5:35pm On Sep 15, 2021
Not
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by kafeii123: 5:51pm On Sep 15, 2021
zealousayo:

The reason why I asked is, I'm about to round off my bachelors in Mechanical Engineering, and sincerely, I've lost interest in the course. So, I want to know where I could switch to with first degree in Mech Eng.
Apart from all these, do you have any career advice for me, sir?

with a first degree in Mech. Eng. you may consider switching into any of Materials Eng., production eng., industrial eng. is also a good option or welding eng.

But if you can endure the extra hard work you may need to first do ...I'd advice you go into materials engineering cos that's the area most lecturers in industrial and production engineering tend to publish their research in nowadays....

but for practicality/field work/professional purposes...your mech eng. background is good leg for career in HVAC, Facilities management, rotating equipment maintenance pumps and hydraulics etc....

If your background in mech eng. is sound (like 4.1 and above in a 5.00 max CGPA) and you're interested in Masters degree in another African country...you may contact me...
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by kafeii123: 6:40pm On Sep 15, 2021
Xmen149:

What kind of certification course did you do in HVAC that you are still looking for job,do you have enough hands-on experience while on training

was surprised to see HVAC and Jobhunting in the same sentence too... but things do happen and people's realities do differ
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by thatsleepboy1: 6:41pm On Sep 15, 2021
YourBestSelf:
Instead of !

Pls sir, studying mathematics and metallurgical and materials engineering, which is better because someone advised me that from mathematics I can switch career to engineering in masters cos I was thinking of physics.
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by zealousayo(m): 6:52pm On Sep 15, 2021
kafeii123:

with a first degree in Mech. Eng. you may consider switching into any of Materials Eng., production eng., industrial eng. is also a good option or welding eng.

But if you can endure the extra hard work you may need to first do ...I'd advice you go into materials engineering cos that's the area most lecturers in industrial and production engineering tend to publish their research in nowadays....

but for practicality/field work/professional purposes...your mech eng. background is good leg for career in HVAC, Facilities management, rotating equipment maintenance pumps and hydraulics etc....

If your background in mech eng. is sound (like 4.1 and above in a 5.00 max CGPA) and you're interested in Masters degree in another African country...you may contact me...
Thank you very much sir... I'm in 500l (second semester) with 4.43/5.00 CGPA. I will keep in touch with you.
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by ojmaroni247(m): 7:07pm On Sep 15, 2021
Everyone asking for experience havnt worked so I need a job to get that.... That's why I am searching.
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by ojmaroni247(m): 7:08pm On Sep 15, 2021
No experience yet...
lonelydora:

Do you have handsome experience on any of the following you mentioned?
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by ojmaroni247(m): 7:09pm On Sep 15, 2021
No experience yet...The experience I have is in vehicle diagnosis and maintenance, scanning and reading codes
lonelydora:

Do you have handsome experience on any of the following you mentioned?
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by ojmaroni247(m): 7:15pm On Sep 15, 2021
Decentdave:
if u want job go and get national diploma that's the trend now
Also which other hands on experience do u have
I have a B.eng
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by truthfulness(m): 8:51pm On Sep 15, 2021
zealousayo:
Good day, elders.
Please I would love to ask two questions. The first question is, how good and promising is a career in Industrial Engineering?
The second question is, can someone with a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering do a Masters degree in Industrial Engineering?

I studied Production Engineering in my undergraduate and mastered in Industrial Engineering.
Without prejudice, I will tell you that I.E is a good major. You have any field to work in, from process optimisation to managing any engineering unit. I.E are the managers of engineers just like MBA is taking managerial positions in other field.
My knowledge as an industrial engineer has given me enough opportunities and exposure.
Currently I major in Quality Engineering and Process Improvement which is another branch of I.E also.

So for your other question about doing a Master in I.E from Mechanical, yes it it 100% possible. I.E is a branch of mechanical.

Wish you all the best
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by truthfulness(m): 8:59pm On Sep 15, 2021
greatiyk4u:

In most cases, expertise in automation is not degree related, it is purely experience related and such any degree holder can be outstanding in the field through good experience and on the job training

Just like IT related field is better learned after schooling especially in Nigeria

This is where many of us in Nigeria has failed. You can learn it but can never be a master of it without some theoretical knowledge.

In Nigeria, we just believe in reading anything and calling ourselves a master in it but rather we are just knowledgeable in the part we use. There is a big difference when you go through academic learning on a particular subject matter, it broadens your thinking and you become a problem solver

1 Like

Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by MackyNaija(m): 9:12pm On Sep 15, 2021
The first question is, how good and promising is a career in Industrial Engineering?

zealousayo, nothing is sure in this life but industrial engrg in the US gives a promising and rewarding career.

The second question is, can someone with a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering do a Masters degree in Industrial Engineering?

Yes, and it was a direct admission in my case. There was no need for pre-requisites.
I had a Nigerian Bsc in Mechanical and got admitted to 5 schools for Industrial.

chloride6 and LegendHero made very good points which I would like to elaborate on; more details but also a summary.
In no particular order, the field can fetch you careers as:

1. an Industrial Engr with a focus in a) Process Improvement b) Quality Engrg c) Ergonomics and Safety systems

2. a Manufacturing and Process Engineer in multiple industries

3. a Project Engineer with a focus in a) Risk Assessment b) Scheduling c) Engrg Economic Analysis

4. a Supply Chain (SC) professional with a focus in a) SC Program Management b) Logistics c) Procurement d) Operations Management

5. an Analytics Expert, Operations Researcher or 'Statistician'

One can do a combination of these roles at the same time.
This list is inexhaustive and I lumped together closely related career paths. This will give you more areas to do your homework on.

Finally, I know two Industrial Engrs that currently work as Software Engineers.

If you can set your focus on studying in the US, you'll be amazed at how far you can go and what you can achieve. Follow the link to the USA student visa thread and go learn a lot about how the process works. smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by ezewealth(m): 9:41pm On Sep 15, 2021
Xmen149:

If your bro get another opportunity for Electrical/Electronics Engineering abeg reach out to me..I won't mind rewarding you once it pulls through as appreciation package. Can I send you message so we can exchange mails
No p
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by zebra(m): 10:42pm On Sep 15, 2021
It's a very good course. Be ready to do advanced statistics and operations research combined with mostly production engineering.
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by Xmen149(m): 12:55am On Sep 16, 2021
kafeii123:

was surprised to see HVAC and Jobhunting in the same sentence too... but things do happen and people's realities do differ

Even pipe fitting one can run it as a business sef.

Thing is he went to alot of different direction instead of staying in one and developing on it skill wise.

One of the best ways to build up skills in a specific carea is to stay under and work for a while with the (roadside) artisans in your selected skill if pride will not finish the person. Add it to your certificate and you will find your self trying to decide if to work for someone or simply start your own company on that career

1 Like

Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by briggz09(m): 3:41am On Sep 16, 2021
Apt summary! If you're coming to UI, just know you'll be made to offer some undergraduate courses like 5 or so. It's all just prerequisites. But frankly, it's an interesting course.
chloride6:
Hi,

I can give you second hand advice...

It's the best thing you can do with your life...

You will be exposed to traditional engineering topics, in fact you will be a 70% mechanical engineer...

Now, the best part of that you will be exposed to various discipline including economics, sociology, psychology, philosophy, accounting, etc...

At the end you will develop an OPTIMIZATION mindset...

Industrial Engineering is all about Optimization, that why you have to learn across disciplines across board...

And because you have that all round knowledge, fit anywhere!!!

I know this because my close friend studied this at UI...

His first Job was as an Investment banker but now he is a Petroleum Engineer..

So go for it!!!

Modified: I forgot to add statistics, you will do a lot of statistics...
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by beans12: 7:48am On Sep 16, 2021
Please I have cgpa of 3.17 I will be taking TOEFL and GRE which university in usa
offer full funding for Msc in computer science for fall2022.
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by harmargedon: 7:21pm On Sep 16, 2021
ojmaroni247:
Pls run from it....Electrical and ICT is where the employment is. I studied Mechanical engineering and majored in Industrial production Engineering (IPE) from a good Nigerian uni. No job till now . All the jobs flying around are Electrical Engineering and IT. NOTE: I am at the Location where Engineering trives (PortHarcourt). I also did some other certification courses to add to it under Electro-Mechanical(pumps,valves,HVAC,Actuators,P&ID). And still job hunting...I went further to add Pipe fitter certification(trade test class2). And I am still job hunting...pls if u see this and have any Vacancies available for me ,pls reach me via call/watsapp 08067880681.
. Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: career@vijufamily.com using "Mechanical Engineer" as the subject of the email.
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by Robyn199: 12:37am On Oct 20, 2021
Would appreciate an advice from the experienced or eye witnessed. I have ond mechatronics from yabatech. Is it proper to switch to industrial production engineering via direct entry.
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by JaySambo: 8:23am On Oct 21, 2021
If coca cola, who is a multi- billion dollar company, keeps advertising as if they don't have customers, who are we to stop.

We at EQUILOG TRAINING INSTITUTE will not rest until you become a certified heavy machine operator today.

Registration is currently ongoing
for any of our courses; Crane, Forklift, Excavator, payloader, bulldozer, swamp buggy, Reach stacker and others. The registration is 5k while the training fee depends on the machine of interest.
Requirements are;

Two passport photographs
Valid ID card
Medical fitness and
A minimum of O' level Education.

Benefits are;

Globally recognized certificate
Internship
Job Assistance and
Professional CV design.

For more info on Trainings please contact us @Equilogroup.com
Call or WhatsApp; 07030406820

Also EQUILOG TECHNICAL SERVICES are into sales and rentals of these heavy machines equipment.

For more info please contact us @Equilog.com.ng
Call or WhatsApp 07030406820
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by Wethmena(f): 5:03pm On Apr 23, 2022
Good day everyone
I need help
I have a bachelor's degree in French and I want to go for my Masters degree program, what course would you suggest that i go for that the employability rate is high overseas?
I am really kind of confused right now.
Please help a sister

Firstly you don’t state whether your options is open to both home and abroad. I’ll advise based on what I know.

I don’t know much about how Industrial Engineers currently fare in Nigeria but in countries like USA, it’s a nice course and if you can try to apply for masters in Industrial Engineering to USA, you will be very glad you did.

To start with, industrial Engineering is like the bridge between Engineering and other disciplines so whether you study Mechanical or Geology as undergrad, you will be admitted to Industrial Engineering master’s easily. (Note: I don’t know much about Naija universities master’s requirements but I might guess it’s the same).

After you graduate, you can work in virtually all sector because the philosophy is that industrial engineers are there to improve the process and make it efficient and optimal. So you get jobs well in Consulting firms, Engineering companies, IT companies, Banks, infact if you improve yourself well and learn programming skills, an Industrial Engineering Master’s with programming skills will land you lot of top tier IT jobs.

I don’t know the curriculum much in Naija, but if I am to choose between mechanical and Industrial in Nigeria, I will choose Industrial. Besides the fact that you won’t go too much into core Engineering, it will avail you with the chance to explore diverse minor like Quality Management, Supply Chain, Data Science & Analytics, Product Development, and other core IE minors. With these range, you can adapt almost anywhere and make impact. Even in Naija, building yourself well in one of this should get you a good job if merit is involved.

Lastly, it’s your life and desire. If Industrial Engineeeing is what you want please go for it because I don’t see any major life changing difference between Industrial or Mechanical. Infact in some schools they are fused into the same department like Mechanical & Industrial Engineering dept.

Help: Visit this thread on questions on USA admission and general inquiries for your MS. https://www.nairaland.com/6354180/general-usa-student-visa-enquiries-part[/quote]
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by Jaybenz: 6:47pm On Feb 23, 2023
Good day everyone,
I need urgent assistant
I have BSC in accounting here in Lagos , nd I applied for master program in a school in USA for my MBA in business administration and management, to God be the glory I was given admission same time, my I-20 was also sent to me.looking forward for my interview by grace of God I will also come to testify. My question here is am the one that will responsible for covering my tuition fees while my uncle who reside in USA will cover my living expenses during the duration of my time there , I came across question and answer on previous applicants that went for interview, I need someone to pls help what if I was asked who is sponsoring me, imma to respond pls no insult am learning cuz this is my first time nd will also be my last .all ur advice will be needed thanks
Re: How Good Is A Career In Industrial Engineering by zealousayo(m): 3:34am On Aug 16, 2023
kafeii123:

Hi sir. How are you doing sir?
I'm quoting you in respect to the post you made above sir. I've completed my first degree, and the national youth service. I graduated with 4.51/5.00. Could you please be my mentor sir?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Avoid Wardrobe Malfunctions During Online Interviews / Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? / Maritime Sector Records 6,000 Job Losses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.