Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,870 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:58 PM

My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt (20281 Views)

Guys Buy Car For Their Friend After Getting Tired Of Picking Him Up With Theirs / Durojaiye Kehinde Obasanjo: I Drove My Amphibious Car From Lagos To Abuja / Man Hangs ₦540million Super Car From The Ceiling Of His Apartment In U.S.(Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Naija8240: 6:24pm On Sep 16, 2021
“My first experience picking up a car from Tincan Port Lagos to Port Harcourt”

The day started off with me picking up the car from Lagos Port. Thereafter, I proceeded to register it to avoid unnecessary interception from security personnels on the road ensuring all necessary documents were in check.

Knowing how the system functions, I was advised to keep some cash handy for some security personnels I’ll meet at various checkpoints. What I encountered on the road didn’t seem like extortions . In fact! One can say the police, army and every other security officers that are suppose to protect lives and properties of our dear country are the people robbing us.

How did we get here?
Nigeria security services have destroyed this country!
There were about 23 check points all filled with police ,army and customs on the high way. Each had a particular amount stipulated to be paid.
I met like 9 custom officers checking for duty papers. Each asked for a “1k non-negotiable fee” as that was a standard for them. Then the army took 200 naira at each check point.

The police are the worst!
These guys are hardened criminals disguised in uniforms to operate legally on the road. They have no mercy. I spent 2-5k each at checkpoints.
I ran out of luck as I approached Benin where the bigger problem started.

I got to a checkpoint and was told my car is tinted and the registered plate number didn’t reflect on their system. I was taken to their station and asked to pay the sum of 100k. I looked at heaven, left and right for help but none came. I started negotiating the extortion, and we ended up at 40k. After paying I was allowed to leave and so I continued my journey hoping this time the extortions were over.

As God answered my prayers, I didn’t meet any Custom officer from Benin to Port Harcourt just police check points.
In total, I spent 98k on extortions and it saddens me. The questions that still lingers in my head is “why Port Harcourt and Warri Ports are still not functioning till date”?
Why do our Politicians Politicize everything in this country?
If not politics, tell me why the Ports in the South are not operating?
There are lots of readjustments to be made especially where citizens in my country have accepted extortion as norm.
We need to do better!

God bless!!

148 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Dottore: 6:55pm On Sep 16, 2021
You committed no crime. The security operatives especially the Police took advantage of your gullibility. How can you part with 40k just like that. My candid advise is for you to take up the matter. Particularly the 40k.
Guy's should learn to stand their ground whenever they start their wickedness.

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Nobody: 7:29pm On Sep 16, 2021
This same road is where Fulani herdsmen kidnap people and the security who are station there to checkmake the activities of criminals are no where to be found.

102 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Herdeynikeh95(f): 8:18pm On Sep 16, 2021
Naija8240:

The day started off with me picking up the car from Lagos Port. Thereafter, I proceeded to register it to avoid unnecessary interception from security personnels on the road ensuring all necessary documents were in check.

Knowing how the system functions, I was advised to keep some cash handy for some security personnels I’ll meet at various checkpoints. What I encountered on the road didn’t seem like extortions . In fact! One can say the police, army and every other security officers that are suppose to protect lives and properties of our dear country are the people robbing us.

How did we get here?
There were about 23 check points all filled with police ,army and customs on the high way. Each had a particular amount stipulated to be paid.
I met like 9 custom officers checking for duty papers. Each asked for a “1k non-negotiable fee” as that was a standard for them. Then the army took 200 naira at each check point.

These guys are hardened criminals disguised in uniforms to operate legally on the road. They have no mercy. I spent 2-5k each at checkpoints.

I got to a checkpoint and was told my car is tinted and the registered plate number didn’t reflect on their system. I was taken to their station and asked to pay the sum of 100k. I looked at heaven, left and right for help but none came. I started negotiating the extortion, and we ended up at 40k. After paying I was allowed to leave and so I continued my journey hoping this time the extortions were over.

As God answered my prayers, I didn’t meet any Custom officer from Benin to Port Harcourt just police check points.
In total, I spent 98k on extortions and it saddens me. The questions that still lingers in my head is “why Port Harcourt and Warri Ports are still not functioning till date”?
There are lots of readjustments to be made especially where citizens in my country have accepted extortion as norm.
We need to do better!

God bless!!
use people dat do this job next time. This wud av cost u less, may b 40k or more less...
I think I ve moved a tok from lag to ph sometime July and I didn't spend a dime on custom not to talk of police nor army.. I was lucky though... I picked some police service commission (psc) workers at the tollgate ,they did most of the clearing while I clear some too... The hardest was delaying me for upto a mins or 2min, the rest are just go go go go...e still get secret Sha but no b wetin I go talk here

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by lasthero: 4:35am On Sep 17, 2021
Hmmmmmmm
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by EdoRabbit(f): 4:35am On Sep 17, 2021
O
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by chukslawrence(m): 4:36am On Sep 17, 2021
Interesting
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by fidel2(m): 4:37am On Sep 17, 2021
Sorry buddy....
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by In2systemsTech(m): 4:37am On Sep 17, 2021
Oga... Sometimes you just give them story and tell them your money is finished. You don't really have to pay all of them

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by lightheart(m): 4:38am On Sep 17, 2021
98k?
That's huge!!

5 Likes

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by tunwumi: 4:40am On Sep 17, 2021
Tha
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by AfriNotesNEWS: 4:40am On Sep 17, 2021
N
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Passionate888: 4:40am On Sep 17, 2021
Let me book space before reading.

Oladipuposadeeq come and share your experience if any
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by femi4: 4:42am On Sep 17, 2021
Naija8240:

How did we get here?

We need to do better!

God bless!!
Next time, just get a uniform man e.g a soldier as a passenger, and if at all you are going to pay, it won't be that high

14 Likes

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Mixedfruit: 4:42am On Sep 17, 2021
I feel your pain bruh!
It's really getting out of hand.The country is bleeped up
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by SmartPolician: 4:42am On Sep 17, 2021
Herdeynikeh95:
use people dat do this job next time. This wud av cost u less, may b 40k or more less...
I think I ve moved a tok from lag to ph sometime July and I didn't spend a dime on custom not to talk of police nor army.. I was lucky though... I picked some police service commission (psc) workers at the tollgate ,they did most of the clearing while I clear some too... The hardest was delaying me for upto a mins or 2min, the rest are just go go go go...e still get secret Sha but no b wetin I go talk here

You people should stop quoting an entire thread before making a comment. Just mention the person's moniker and the site will tag them. Besides, it's customs not custom; there's a difference.

@Naija8240 I am waiting for the day Wike will take up that last part of the point you raised. How can a country of 200m depend on the port in Lagos whereas there are ports in Onne, Calabar and Warri? It seems the South South governors left their fights to Wike alone.

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by SportsHD: 4:43am On Sep 17, 2021

1 Like

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Passionate888: 4:44am On Sep 17, 2021
Dottore:
You committed no crime. The security operatives especially the Police took advantage of your gullibility. How can you part with 40k just like that. My candid advise is for you to take up the matter. Particularly the 40k.

He should try but even the top brass of the Nigerian police force are thieves, the difference is that they haven't been caught yet

1 Like

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by wilcox(m): 4:48am On Sep 17, 2021
Thank God you acknowledged that you were lucky in your case.
The system is so corrupt that even when you have all documents intacts, security personnel will still intimidate and harras you like a criminal for no just reason. Those guys at Benin expressway are Hardened criminals in police uniform.
Herdeynikeh95:

7 Likes

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by ogaga4u2(m): 4:49am On Sep 17, 2021
Next time look for one paramilitary officer as driver for less stressful journey.

1 Like

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by kingsceedon(m): 4:50am On Sep 17, 2021
Naija8240:

How did we get here?

We need to do better!

God bless!!

Congratulations, that's the one Nigeria all you haters of Igbos are fighting to defend, expect more to come, this is the beginning, God bless my Biafra land

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Solowiz(m): 4:50am On Sep 17, 2021
Bicycle i no even get, this matter no concern me

5 Likes

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Authoreety: 5:01am On Sep 17, 2021
God help Nigeria.. The citizens are helpless at the hands of this gunweilding morons... In no distant time, there will be a revolution

1 Like

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Haishophem(m): 5:03am On Sep 17, 2021
It's so unfortunate that extortion by men in uniform has become the order of the day that we sadly gave to live with.

On the eastern ports, I'd rather ask why importers prefer Lagos as their port of call instead of calling at the ports closest to them. Cos the last time I checked, Rivers state has 2 functional ports (Port harcourt and Onne port).

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by LordofNaija: 5:04am On Sep 17, 2021
SmartPolician:

You people should stop quoting an entire thread before making a comment. Just mention the person's moniker and the site will tag them. Besides, it's customs not custom; there's a difference.

@Naija8240 I am waiting for the day Wike will take up that last part of the point you raised. How can a country of 200m depend on the port in Lagos whereas there are ports in Onne, Calabar and Warri? It seems the South South governors left their fights to Wike alone.
but Onne port is now functional

1 Like

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by persius555(m): 5:08am On Sep 17, 2021
I thought they said Onne port was functional

2 Likes

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by nautybride: 5:08am On Sep 17, 2021
Maddening. Sorry, dear Op.
Nigeria is a political brothel, where citizens pay to live and politicians 'rob' our backs. Just be appreciative. There has been cases of security operatives killing the citizen to have their property.
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by Nobody: 5:17am On Sep 17, 2021
Solowiz:
Bicycle i no even get, this matter no concern me
e go concern u when you get urs

3 Likes

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by wunmi590(m): 5:18am On Sep 17, 2021
tongue
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by princewarri1985: 5:27am On Sep 17, 2021
Dottore:
Dont say what you dont know the OP is right because i've been there too driving with a friend with a friend and his pregnant wife from lagos to warri, my friend is a very stubborn warri boy, he was tired of the payment and he to police at one of the checkpoint before that he does not have money and they requested he give them his car keys but he refused, and one of the police officer was literally tring to deflate his tire and the time was 6-30pm and he was still struggling with them, and i whispered in to his ears, and told him this guys can shoot us dead here dump us in the bush and take your car, he listened to me gave them the 2k and left, very Horrible experince

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by phorget(m): 5:30am On Sep 17, 2021
A lost nation indeed.
Re: My First Experience Picking Up A Car From Tincan Port, Lagos To Port Harcourt by siraj1402(m): 5:36am On Sep 17, 2021
I think I spent around 4k in June for taken my Lexus RX350 from Lagos to Akure.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Rolls Royce : 15 Eye Opening Facts You Should Know / 6 Fuel Saving Tips For Automatic Drivers / How To Know The Tire Size That Suits Your Car (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.