Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,020 members, 7,806,996 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:19 AM

Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam (3343 Views)

Today, My Friend And I Had An Encounter With A Jiji Scammer. / I Was Duped By Someone Name Martha Annu Dara Who Posted A Phone On Jiji / Help!!! I Just Got Scammed On Jiji. What Can I Do To Recover My Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by qtguru(m): 12:31pm On Sep 17, 2021
So yesterday I really needed a SmartWatch because I kept looking for a good deal, I reached out to someone on Jiji who turned out to be rude, so I left him a nasty comment. Only for me to be reached out by someone who claimed to have sold the watch for a much cheaper price. I told him to deliver the item tomorrow.

The next day comes only for the dsipatcher rider to state that i wasn't picking my phone, I wasn't going to apologize for what wasn't my fault. So I stated he should show me the number, the person on WhatsApp even informed me that the dispatcher rider is outside. The next message he sent was highly suspicious, that I shouldn't make a transfer in front of the dispatcher rider, I was under the impression the dispatcher rider and the bike person will know the price. but not only was the number wrong but the account number and price of the item, coupled with the fact that the supposed seller kept forcing me to make the transfer, which i wasn't going to do, because when money leaves without confirmation na wahala.

I called the original seller no given to the Dispatcher and realized that it was a different person.

https://twitter.com/qtguru/status/1438813134425296901

Here is the timeline of my tweet.

So what they do is Order on your behalf with a way reduced price then give you their account number so when you pay, it will be you, the Dispatch rider and the original seller will be left to their own peril.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by The5DME(m): 12:46pm On Sep 17, 2021
Scam is rife on Jiji. One just needs to be careful.

Cc Newdelhi

6 Likes

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by sEGXY2(m): 12:55pm On Sep 17, 2021
Dropshiping gone wrong
Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by qtguru(m): 1:04pm On Sep 17, 2021
sEGXY2:
Dropshiping gone wrong
lol
Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 17, 2021
jiji is the headquarters of scammer's.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by Raustin(m): 1:34pm On Sep 17, 2021
It's unfortunate you had to go through this wahala.

I'm glad that you didn't fall for it and I got to follow you on twitter cool
qtguru:
So yesterday I really needed a SmartWatch because I kept looking for a good deal, I reached out to someone on Jiji who turned out to be rude, so I left him a nasty comment. Only for me to be reached out by someone who claimed to have sold the watch for a much cheaper price. I told him to deliver the item tomorrow.

The next day comes only for the dsipatcher rider to state that i wasn't picking my phone, I wasn't going to apologize for what wasn't my fault. So I stated he should show me the number, the person on WhatsApp even informed me that the dispatcher rider is outside. The next message he sent was highly suspicious, that I shouldn't make a transfer in front of the dispatcher rider, I was under the impression the dispatcher rider and the bike person will know the price. but not only was the number wrong but the account number and price of the item, coupled with the fact that the supposed seller kept forcing me to make the transfer, which i wasn't going to do, because when money leaves without confirmation na wahala.

I called the original seller no given to the Dispatcher and realized that it was a different person.

So what they do is Order on your behalf with a way reduced price then give you their account number so when you pay, it will be you, the Dispatch rider and the original seller will be left to their own peril.

1 Like

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by qtguru(m): 2:06pm On Sep 17, 2021
Raustin:
It's unfortunate you had to go through this wahala.

I'm glad that you didn't fall for it and I got to follow you on twitter cool

True g thanks mehn , it's the fact he brought up that he has been calling me and I didn't receive a call

1 Like

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by gnykelly(m): 2:11pm On Sep 17, 2021
Average Nigerian is a cheater

2 Likes

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 17, 2021
Jiji is synonymous with scam. Never will I make the mistake to order through the platform, even if the product is free.

2 Likes

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by mactoni91(m): 7:01pm On Sep 17, 2021
Not scam but Local dropshipping...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by qtguru(m): 7:18pm On Sep 17, 2021
mactoni91:
Not scam but Local dropshipping...

This was a scam I know what Dropshipping is,

2 Likes

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by SportsHD: 7:34pm On Sep 17, 2021
Bodmum:
I swear. There's a conglomerate of association of scammers and rippers there. The only way to be safe is collect your product and pay! Pay on delivery. And, one should watch out for crazy, mind boggling scams like this one above.

6 Likes

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by casted81: 7:40pm On Sep 17, 2021
Wait ,so people order on jiji? Una get mind sha.

I always arrange for location to meet up and inspect whatever I'm buying with the seller before paying.

Still one of the best place to get cheap items online.

9 Likes

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by Sariel(m): 10:21pm On Sep 17, 2021
Can you post the persons account number and name.
Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by bmdmix11: 11:22pm On Sep 17, 2021
I actually buy from jiji but pay on delivery.
direct seller

3 Likes

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by teeste: 3:54am On Sep 18, 2021
But when EFCC arrest a Yahoo boy, you all be shouting

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by Timagex(m): 5:17am On Sep 18, 2021
That jiji ehn.....
Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by Tochex101(m): 7:14am On Sep 18, 2021
Bodmum:
The market is online....as much as jiji has its cons, the pros outweigh them, ask people who purchase cars and houses, they can attest.
You just need due diligence......which online platform do you rather shop on?

4 Likes

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by Nobody: 7:35am On Sep 18, 2021
Tochex101:

The market is online....as much as jiji has its cons, the pros outweigh them, ask people who purchase cars and houses, they can attest.
You just need due diligence......which online platform do you rather shop on?
aliexpress
Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by Nobody: 7:46am On Sep 18, 2021
teeste:
But when EFCC arrest a Yahoo boy, you all be shouting
Who and who is against arresting yahoo boys, Efcc should arrest them all.

2 Likes

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by MidaserveNG: 8:27am On Sep 18, 2021
cool Jiji Scamming is High-Class
qtguru:

1 Like

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by MidaserveNG: 8:34am On Sep 18, 2021
MidaserveNG:
cool Jiji Scamming is High-Class

Their staffs are the people who call you to ask for prices making you feel you're having impressions/ potential customers.

They're updating their family members with your sales/products information which is too bad.

They call you privately to negotiate premium pkge

We sell surveillance systems - cctv on Jiji since 2015 and are talking from experience.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by ALABACONNECT(m): 9:08am On Sep 18, 2021
qtguru:

Really sad that this also happened to me. Middleman took 70k for a tv worth 250k. Mumu buyer said he won't release the tv untill we pay back the 70k. Spent hours at Festac police station. Sellers, stay woke o. Street has no smiles on

1 Like

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by Brushstrokes20: 10:29am On Sep 18, 2021
I've done a lot of awesome transactions via jiji though...

One only need exercise due diligence cool

1 Like

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by NobleSeed(m): 11:41am On Sep 18, 2021
someone said jiji is the headquarter of scammersgrin
I won't say he's wrong though cause there are scammers there.
when you want to buy something on jiji try checking the sell reviews ,but sometimes the reviews seems to be fake the reason is that dey create multiple accounts and make a review on the product or account of which the seller is using.
Don't pay before the goods got delivered to you if you seems sceptical about the business as that of the op. There are still some good people there.
Everybody on jiji no fit be scammers.
Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by qtguru(m): 12:15pm On Sep 18, 2021
ALABACONNECT:
Really sad that this also happened to me. Middleman took 70k for a tv worth 250k. Mumu buyer said he won't release the tv untill we pay back the 70k. Spent hours at Festac police station. Sellers, stay woke o. Street has no smiles on

People need to learn the habit of confirming with the Dispatcher and taking Account number directly it is easy to stop this problem, if JiJi is ready, A order with account number to pay should be sent to your mail from an Official JiJi member and the user should only pay when he confirms the item. I feel bad for sellers, this is problematic making losses like this.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by qtguru(m): 12:19pm On Sep 18, 2021
NobleSeed:
someone said jiji is the headquarter of scammersgrin
I won't say he's wrong though cause there are scammers there.
when you want to buy something on jiji try checking the sell reviews ,but sometimes the reviews seems to be fake the reason is that dey create multiple accounts and make a review on the product or account of which the seller is using.
Don't pay before the goods got delivered to you if you seems sceptical about the business as that of the op. There are still some good people there.
Everybody on jiji no fit be scammers.

I have bought from Jiji before a Camera I believe there are alot of honest people there, This scam can be easily avoided if one is paying attention and confirming from the Dispatcher ride only. I wanted to send to the guy, but I was curious why the phone number, account number and price was different, and the scammer telling me to not pay in front of the dispatcher, because in my mind, the seller and the dispatcher know about the order and price and the appropriate account number. You get
Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by NobleSeed(m): 2:29pm On Sep 18, 2021
yeah I get.
qtguru:

I have bought from Jiji before a Camera I believe there are alot of honest people there, This scam can be easily avoided if one is paying attention and confirming from the Dispatcher ride only. I wanted to send to the guy, but I was curious why the phone number, account number and price was different, and the scammer telling me to not pay in front of the dispatcher, because in my mind, the seller and the dispatcher know about the order and price and the appropriate account number. You get
Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by Tochex101(m): 5:04pm On Sep 18, 2021
MidaserveNG:

Their staffs are the people who call you to ask for prices making you feel you're having impressions/ potential customers.

They're updating their family members with your sales/products information which is too bad.

We sell surveillance systems - cctv on Jiji since 2015 and are talking from experience.
This is a very serious claim....
Re: Jiji Scam: Middleman Scam by Slizzords: 12:59am On Sep 19, 2021
MidaserveNG:

It's just reasonable that goods like CCTV cameras that you sell might not have a good sales record on places like jiji because CCTV cameras are products that are mostly bought by technicians who prefer to go to the market , I have sold and bought alot of things on jiji, the only thing is you have to meet sellers in public. I sold my former car on jiji the buyer came all the way from ekiti to Lagos just to buy the car.

I bought my sound system from jiji also , it's not like am trying to praise them , but the website is good for sales abeg.

It's just like saying plumbing materials should be sold on jiji , you no go see much customers from there.

(1) (Reply)

Top 8 Selling PHONE Brands In Computer Village / I Need Help In Activating 4g Service On Infinix Hot 4 Pro / Thanks To Nairalanders. A Token Of Appreciation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.