Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,472 members, 7,781,370 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:19 PM

Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. (39990 Views)

Tesla Sued Over Racial Discrimination In The Workplace / 4 Types Of Workplace Discrimination Common In Nigeria / Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Cognitivereason: 3:10pm On Sep 17, 2021
Apology for any typographical error
As a job seeker or regular individual with a degree, have u ever been discriminated because of the kind of university you attended..or do u believe one can be discriminated not because of a CGPA or grade of degree but because of the kind of university he or she attended

With the huge competition in getting admitted to high ranked schools like UNILAG, UNN and the likes...

Are there a bit of disadvantage for students who end up switching to less competitive universities..

Am talking about schools like maybe Gombe state university to pursue probably a good course like pharmacy which they couldnt study in the high ranked schools and eventually come out with good results..

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Fundamentalist: 3:26pm On Sep 17, 2021
It depends on how you present yourself .

135 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Fundamentalist: 3:28pm On Sep 17, 2021
It depends on how you present yourself . I attended a state university by even PhD holders from so called federal university can't stand on the same podium with me . You need to know your onions and have self esteem. Don't ever think someone is better than you. A pharmacist students are been taught same curriculum nationwide

218 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Cognitivereason: 6:35pm On Sep 17, 2021
True..ur comment is more of an encouragement... But the reality is what am asking about.. We know of the HND discrimination but....
When it comes to having a BSc from a less competitive school probably from the north..despite having a 2.1 or better..can that person be looked down on compared to those from competitive schools...

I ask cuz I have heard of such and I don't know if it really a thing in the Nigerian society..
In engineering for example despite the fact that it almost same syllabus in all fed of state university... A 2.1 graduate from FUTO or FUTA might be preferred over a 2.1 or even first class from let say taraba state university or so...
Fundamentalist:
It depends on how you present yourself . I attended a state university by even PhD holders from so called federal university can't stand on the same podium with me . You need to know your onions and have self esteem. Don't ever think someone is better than you. A pharmacist students are been taught same curriculum nationwide

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Omicron007: 9:09pm On Sep 17, 2021
grin

Imagine two applicants for a job interview.
One from Gombe State University and another from University of Ibadan.

What was I saying sef?

Which University did that vulture griller finish from?
I want to confirm something.

108 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by RichThugg: 9:09pm On Sep 17, 2021
Buhari has finished this country kpatakpata cheesy

grin

21 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by nairalee(m): 9:09pm On Sep 17, 2021
Depends on what angle you're coming from.

1) If its based on bants and yabs from friends this would be a point
2) If it's based on promotion or salary scale, it's not a point cos there's no more dichotomy between HND and BSc talkless of Big School BSc vs Small School BSc
3) If it's on general employment issue I'll ask u are u a Nigerian or you're just waking up? Jobs generally these days is based on who you know (connection) or what u can offer (technical skills). After stage of application, nothing else counts.

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Destinepraise: 9:09pm On Sep 17, 2021
It happens a lot

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by sofiscatedmoron: 9:09pm On Sep 17, 2021
grin
I thought u we're joking untill i hear Gombe state university grin

That name alone is funny

146 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Mrxawe: 9:09pm On Sep 17, 2021
It's worse with those who attended polytechnics and those who attended northern universities. It's just terrible.

12 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Charmingrascal(m): 9:09pm On Sep 17, 2021
Cognitivereason:
As a job seeker or regular individual with a degree, have u ever been discriminated because of the kind of university you attended..or do u believe one can be discriminated not because of a CGPA or grade of degree but because of the kind of university he or she attended

With the huge competition in getting admitted to high ranked schools like UNILAG, UNN and the likes...

Are there a bit of disadvantage for students who end up switching to less competitive universities..

Am talking about schools like maybe Gombe state university to pursue probably a good course like pharmacy which they couldnt study in the high ranked schools and eventually come out with good results..

The university you attend don't really matter it is what you as a person can offer that matters.

I have seen a company that employed an HND holder over a Degree holder here in Abuja and they both attended the interview but the HND holder was able to prove his worth and was able to convince the interviewer that he knew what he was doing while Degree holder was unable to.

Your intelligence is what they need not the school you graduated from.

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by HyGIeneBosS: 9:09pm On Sep 17, 2021
Wahala
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by ExtremeDot: 9:10pm On Sep 17, 2021
Oh. Being discriminated because one attended a less competitive tertiary institute? lol

Here in Nigeria, everything goes. So, don't be surprise if anyone tell you YES.

Job no come kukuma deh the country. So,

I don't know if employers of labour in charge of recruiting graduates for the little available jobs, with the aim of getting the best minds to employ for an available position, will want to consider the name of the University one graduated from.

Though on the other hand,
One of the core reasons why students always prefer the first generation universities here in Nigeria, is to enable them stand out in the labour market. The plan of "Standing a better chance in the labour market" starts the moment you get your JAMB form, the choices you make.

There is a common outdated belief in the minds of many, that the first generation universities in Nigeria provides better learning materials compared to the third, fourth generation universities. That has somehow influenced many to opt for those so called top rank tertiary institutions.

Most students after failing to secure an admission into the so called top rank universities, settles for the less competitive ones.

Though if you wan look am for another direction, the first generation universities have more Professors compared to the third, fourth... generation universities. Most of those Profs still deh teach with materials deh them use teach in the 90s. You can tell by the brownish nature of those materials they carry.

Yet, approaching your question with the common NIGERIAN LOGIC. If H.N.D. can be discriminated, why do you think low ranked universities won't be discriminated?

SAY NO TO DISCRIMINATION, EVERYONE SHOULD GET AN EQUAL CHANCE TO PROVE HIS/HERSELF WORTHY FOR THE JOB.

13 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by bosschinalu(m): 9:10pm On Sep 17, 2021
wink
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by adebayosun02: 9:10pm On Sep 17, 2021
K
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Ifabernard(m): 9:10pm On Sep 17, 2021
Laslas School na scam Baba.
The best university in Nigeria will not even make top 10 in SA.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by JohnSin97: 9:10pm On Sep 17, 2021
Quota system Universities aren't to be trusted. Once I see the university on application letters I dump it in the bin.

If it's not OAU, UNN, UniBen, Unilag, FUTO, FUTA, UI, Covenant, UniIlorin, Babcock and Yabatech please go and apply for tradermoni.

elbulk:

That you grew up in the south and that's all you know doesn't' mean that's all there is. What are your indices? That I attended any of these schools doesn't make me sharper.
By your "standards" then schools like ABU, Zaria, University of Jos should be on this list but it doesn't work that way. What you know and how you present yourself is what puts you ahead. Even the Zenith Bank CEO graduated from Auchi Poly but obviously put in the work and has a lot of people from your OAU, UNN, UniBen, Unilag, FUTO, FUTA, UI, Covenant, UniIlorin, Babcock and Yabatech working for him.

Lol.. Jim Ovia has B.Sc. degree in Business Administration from Southern University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA and not Auchi Poly. It's was Tony Elumelu that went to Ambrose Ali University (note that Ambrose Ali of the 80s had a very high educational standard, thanks to the man it was named after) but even Tony elemelu still went and got a Master's from Unilag and he hardly identifies as someone who went to AAU. My indices is the fact that when you look at this schools which I listed, it has and known to produce some of the smartest people in nigeria, if you even look at tech start-ups as an example that have gone national in the past 10years they usually come from this universities. Plus have you noticed that in top universities in the south you hardly see any northerner....most abokis won't cope in a school like oau, one year in Whitehouse and they'd drop out.

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Justinlean02(m): 9:10pm On Sep 17, 2021
Well truth be told there's this lack of exposure that attach itself to us way go such institutions like Ebsu. grin grin

Then again it was just a stage in life, career wise we're getting ahead that's the more reason you should look out for Africa's utility token. TAT-COIN and ABitNetwork where DeFI and NFT program will boost your BLOCKCHAIN knowledge

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by trevorhorace(m): 9:11pm On Sep 17, 2021
Surely it will present itself at some point. It's also a reality that graduates from high ranking universities may already enjoy special immunity due to the reputation these universities have built over the years. But it's all just bragging rights. Good employers are only interested in how you can take their company forward in the long run.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by DropsMic(m): 9:11pm On Sep 17, 2021
Following
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Okhuadams(m): 9:11pm On Sep 17, 2021
Cognitivereason:

you will be addressed the way u present urself,

6 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Lordbinsmar: 9:11pm On Sep 17, 2021
F.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Triangles1(m): 9:13pm On Sep 17, 2021
Because does school you mentioned up there are acewo in disguise.
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Donkenny511(m): 9:13pm On Sep 17, 2021
There is always hierarchy in everything
In school, workplaces, sport... Something or somebody have to be the most preferred

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by alphaconde(m): 9:13pm On Sep 17, 2021
One day I would be able to do something by in my life without my certificate

Na that time I go tear am

Carrying my school certificate back then interviewers saw me as a cultist

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by RedEnergy: 9:13pm On Sep 17, 2021
Gombe, what did you call it again? lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by seyz91(m): 9:14pm On Sep 17, 2021
cheesy
RichThugg:
Buhari has finished this country kpatakpata cheesy

grin
Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Poiu11: 9:14pm On Sep 17, 2021
kiss

2 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by ishowdotgmail(m): 9:14pm On Sep 17, 2021
Irrespective of the school attended by you, no job for people outside. Trust me!!!

1 Like

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by Divoc19(f): 9:14pm On Sep 17, 2021
Just get used to it.
This is Nigeria.
Your own no go pass you by

3 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by TheSociopath(m): 9:14pm On Sep 17, 2021
Lol. I also went to a less competitive university but I'm doing well for myself. Build your skills and no one will turn you away. If you can learn any skill in Tech, that'd be even better

7 Likes

Re: Discrimination Because Of The Kind Of University Attended. by JohnDazzy: 9:15pm On Sep 17, 2021
grin
Bro, be outstanding in your field and people will look for you only then would you realize that people care more about value than the source of it

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree / Meet Nneka Egbujiobi, Hello Africa CEO (Photos) / When Organization Cuts Cost By Cutting Manpower (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.