Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway (25750 Views)

Funny Number Plate Seen On A Highway In Afghanistan (Photo) / How To Avoid Police, V.I.O FRSC Embarrassments / My Tyre Got Ruined While Speeding On The Highway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by Chicagoesontop: 7:39am On Sep 18, 2021
This is a very good info, thank OP.
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by nonhuman(m): 7:46am On Sep 18, 2021
Once your papers are OK and they still want to extort you, they will never attempt to take you to their station, they will only keep you delayed so when you feel you are been delayed you will then negotiate
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by kesmiraAutos: 7:55am On Sep 18, 2021
gly2ken:
nwanne alua, ye meyeke
Ile nwenem oooo... Ika ka ri neile nma
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by membranus: 7:58am On Sep 18, 2021
Lavisha:
Mine is to dress really smart and elegant.

Complete traditional dress with head gear and a very nice perfume will do.

Na salute Dem go salute me.

But when you are dressed like a yahoo boy on steering, then you'll be in for a long thing.

Dem dey like to avoid women palava, that's why your scoping may set you free. But however not from policewoman, according to my wife.
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by ailenmen: 8:14am On Sep 18, 2021
Thank u very much these are the kind of enlighten ment ,we always want.good job keep it up
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by wandium: 8:16am On Sep 18, 2021
Very informative. Thank you op but this officer can be a bone in drivers neck, especially the check points between Lokoja and okene in Kogi State, Otukpa to Obollo.
On 2 different occasions after checking everything the first one asked for police clearance for plate number. I was shocked.
The second after seeing general motor receipt, he said he asked why I don't have the certificate
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by arantess: 8:18am On Sep 18, 2021
They will start checking and counting engine and chasis number, hoping that one is off

Those people are criminals
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by Kingisibor: 8:23am On Sep 18, 2021
RoyalBoutique:

Don't be negative all the time.

Let's pray we don't encounter the police wahala.

But if w do, let's do what the op says.

Later, we can come here and write about the experience.
Mumu no be Nigeria you dey, if you like pray till enternity you still encounter police wahala ...
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by uniquetechng: 8:27am On Sep 18, 2021
soloehis:
It is saddened when I read how Nigerian security agents extort and harass motorist on the highway over car registration issues that could be avoided. Do the following you will never be harrassed again.

1. Make sure your car documents are up to date. Eg.
Drivers licence and your car particulars.

2. Be Polite when ever you are been stopped...greet them with smiles on your face when an officer tries to intimidate you try to keep ur cool and stand by your right...don't show any sign of fear. Try as much as possible to be calm.

3. Check the validation of your plate number on FRSC data base. https://nvis.frsc.gov.ng/VehicleManagement/VerifyPlateNo . Enter your plate number..it will display the make of your car, color of your car as it is on your paper. If your plate number is valid and yet to be assigned it means your documents was not uploaded...go to any licencing office with your car particulars they will upload it with a token not more than 1k. Depends on your approach.

4. Be sure your particulars are authentic. To be sure Check your vehicle licence here just enter ur plate number it will display the expiry date of ur paper..abuja registration has not been updated on the site..I don't know why is like that..https://verify.autoreg.ng/.

5. After you have confirmed all and an officer still tries to Harrass you..be calm,don't be afraid to follow them to their station. When you get to their station quietly call Inspector General monitoring Unit 08036242591 and lodge your complaint..they will quickly let you off their hook.

Knowledge is power when used wisely..
I Remain
Your humble brother & friend
Solomon Ehiwario
Lalasticlala

Nice info
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by tym92(m): 8:27am On Sep 18, 2021
WrathOfHadez:
No penalty for time wasting, harassment, illegal detention....your post also failed to address or list the exact documents a private car owner should carry and what a commercial driver should.

All the criminals in uniform ask private car owners for roadworthiness certificate which is meant for commercial vehicles.

They also ask for proof of ownership which is for vehicles that have not been registered
e.g those ones being sold tokumbo or where valid registration hasn't taken place.

Anyone who drives with a wrong or expired vehicle particulars should face the police and your post is just centered on making sure your papers are up-to-date. Silly.

What are the papers? Because the average Nigerian driver is still in the dark what police is to check and the uniformed criminals are milking them dry illegally.
Since the op failed to list out the aforementioned papers and you noticed the error, I think it will be good if you list them out (for commercial and private car users)if at all you know.
I wouldn't mind if you quote me cuz I will like to know.
Thanks in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by ikdaddy01(m): 8:27am On Sep 18, 2021
soloehis:
It is
2. [b]Be Polite when ever you are been stopped...greet them with smiles on your face when [/b]an
This officer stopped me on Abuja highway. I was smilling and shaked him. He was asking what I do and dz and that. At the end he said he was looking for how to hook me. And asked for coke. See monkey grin
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by Lightorder: 8:29am On Sep 18, 2021
heykims:
Thanks, I just checked for my car, it brought the info of my car and papers.
you can lie . When did you check as you were busy rushing to be the first to comment
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by pacespot(m): 8:32am On Sep 18, 2021
I agree with you when you say polite, but smiling is a no no for me. Don't smile when you are dealing with a Nigerian on the issue of money, smiling gives a greenlight to some people to also come close and probe deep on you. And they might even think you are unserious when you smile and talking. Just be naturally cool cool
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by RoyalBoutique(m): 8:33am On Sep 18, 2021
Kingisibor:

Mumu no be Nigeria you dey, if you like pray till enternity you still encounter police wahala ...

Bastard, that would not stop me from praying.

Ghana monkey.
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by bullabong(m): 8:35am On Sep 18, 2021
soloehis:
It is saddened when I read how Nigerian security agents extort and harass motorist on the highway over car registration issues that could be avoided. Do the following you will never be harrassed again.

2. Be Polite when ever you are been stopped...greet them with smiles on your face when an officer tries to intimidate you try to keep ur cool and stand by your right...don't show any sign of fear. Try as much as possible to be calm.

3. Check the validation of your plate number on FRSC data base. https://nvis.frsc.gov.ng/VehicleManagement/VerifyPlateNo . Enter your plate number..it will display the make of your car, color of your car as it is on your paper. If your plate number is valid and yet to be assigned it means your documents was not uploaded...go to any licencing office with your car particulars they will upload it with a token not more than 1k. Depends on your approach.

4. Be sure your particulars are authentic. To be sure Check your vehicle licence here just enter ur plate number it will display the expiry date of ur paper..abuja registration has not been updated on the site..I don't know why is like that..https://verify.autoreg.ng/.

5. After you have confirmed all and an officer still tries to Harrass you..be calm,don't be afraid to follow them to their station. When you get to their station quietly call Inspector General monitoring Unit 08036242591 and lodge your complaint..they will quickly let you off their hook.

I Remain
Solomon Ehiwario
Lalasticlala

Who put this nonsense here? Please go and edit the topic... Half baked graduate.
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by professore(m): 8:36am On Sep 18, 2021
Okay
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by pacespot(m): 8:43am On Sep 18, 2021
Born2conquer:

This is it! Anytime I am traveling interstate, i do dress in a well starched and pressed TRADS!!! With some nice cap, whenever i spot their checkpoints , i merely just change the song in my car to some old school songs and the police men will end up doing “SIR SIR” Without chevking my papers.

The goal is to look like someone influential, i even offered one 1k and he said “no Sir, don’t worry “

Me wey be young guy grin

They like to extort poor people like them but let a rich man off the hook. Dressing in a native outfit gives impression of a rich and responsible fellow to them grin
Who do black people like this
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by v2: 8:44am On Sep 18, 2021
szczescie:
Not entirely fool proof

They'll still ask you for money

This reminded me of when I was moving my things back home after graduation in 2005 and had to hire a vehicle.
On our way we were stopped by police and they asked for receipt of the things I was carrying.
I brought out a file containing receipts of everything I bought while in school and the officer started checking the items and I produced the purchase receipt for each item being checked.
He got to a point and couldn't fault anything and just said, "you must give us something".

We debated for a while and parted with some change because we were already running late.

The NPF is the HQ of corruption in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by soloehis(m): 8:56am On Sep 18, 2021
bullabong:
Who put this nonsense here? Please go and edit the topic... Half baked graduate.
bro,comon sense should tell you that (To) was erroneously omitted.. forget the errors and digest the informations
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by Mpanyi: 8:59am On Sep 18, 2021
olu77:
That is unavoidable but you can light and throw some loud knockouts about half a mile before you get to their checkpoint and they will vanish before you get there. They will even abandon their vehicle

Hahahaha. Very funny
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by soloehis(m): 9:05am On Sep 18, 2021
gly2ken:
nwanne alua, ye meyeke
daru nwenne..Chukwu gozi..iseh.
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by Born2conquer: 9:11am On Sep 18, 2021
pacespot:

They like to extort poor people like them but let a rich man off the hook. Dressing in a native outfit gives impression of a rich and responsible fellow to them grin
Who do black people like this
Na so e be for Nigeria o, funniest thing, I have a very small stature but the corporate dressing fo help me every time.

Tinting of hair, wearing of designers will merely attract attention
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by soloehis(m): 9:23am On Sep 18, 2021
kesmiraAutos:

Ile nwenem oooo... Ika ka ri neile nma
iseh
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by odimbannamdi(m): 9:24am On Sep 18, 2021
soloehis:

I Remain
Solomon Ehiwario
Lalasticlala

Starred
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by soloehis(m): 9:27am On Sep 18, 2021
Daum:

OP can police check our phones on the road
They have started this behavior again. End Sars part 2 will. Be worse ooooo
they no such right to do so
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by Lavisha(f): 9:34am On Sep 18, 2021
membranus:

Dem dey like to avoid women palava, that's why your scoping may set you free. But however not from policewoman, according to my wife.
Policewomen no dey for Highway na?
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by WrathOfHadez(m): 9:49am On Sep 18, 2021
tym92:

Since the op failed to list out the aforementioned papers and you noticed the error, I think it will be good if you list them out (for commercial and private car users)if at all you know.
I wouldn't mind if you quote me cuz I will like to know.
Thanks in anticipation.
go read up my post again. It is mentioned there. (That's if you read through in the first place.)
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by Yansham: 9:58am On Sep 18, 2021
Lavisha:
Mine is to dress really smart and elegant.

Complete traditional dress with head gear and a very nice perfume will do.

Na salute Dem go salute me.

But when you are dressed like a yahoo boy on steering, then you'll be in for a long thing.

I do this also. I wear a nice native with a cap. Whenever they stop me, they are always confused.

They always ask me to go without asking for anything. I am grateful to God for the grace I have been enjoying.

1 Like

Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by LivingTribunal: 10:09am On Sep 18, 2021
Information
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by bullabong(m): 10:09am On Sep 18, 2021
soloehis:
bro,comon sense should tell you that (To) was erroneously omitted.. forget the errors and digest the informations
Go Bleep your self you dumbass!!
Re: How Avoid Police Extortion And Harassment On The Highway by omobaba101(m): 10:15am On Sep 18, 2021
Good write up, except the last point on calling the police. About 2/3 years ago, I was driving from Ibadan to Abuja and got stopped by Police at Isua, I called one of those numbers they use to flaunt around. They told me straight that the Police didn't have right to stop me and asked me to give the phone to them at the station. The one that picked the phone just told the man at the other end that he's not the one that brought me to the station. He was asked to return the phone unto me and the insults started - "if you don't know who arrested you, why giving phone to another person, if you cannot identify a person, how are you sure you have stated the facts?" " Do you think we don't have any job to do than listening to cock and bull stories?" bla bla bla. So I got reprimanded for reporting a criminal police. The news quickly went round the station, which made it more difficult for me. I have made up my mind, until the Nigerian system changes, I am NEVER going to report any police to the Police authority again. They cannot be trusted. Did I tell you how I got out? I PAID.
So I add No 6 to the write up: The best way not to pay police on highway is to have small notes in your car to DASH them before long long talk, in that way, you won't pay them, you will be DASHING them grin grin grin grin

soloehis:

I Remain
Solomon Ehiwario
Lalasticlala

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ferrari's Newly Unveiled £3m FXX-K Evo Hypercar Is Like A Fighter Jet On Wheels / Buying A Used Car? These Tips May Save You Some Heartbreaks!!! / A Toyota SUV Burnt Along Enugu-Onitsha Express Way. PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.