Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,538 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. (33034 Views)

What Is Your Cost Of Transportation Daily From Work To House / Pictures From Owerri Bicycle Street Ride (photo) / Man In Suit Climbs Moving Tanker Steps As Means Of Transportation (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by loomer: 3:05pm On Sep 19, 2021
Pierocash:
The accident will be too much. If okada is banned ,why allow bicycle? The casualty rate will be unprecedented

Poor thinking, bike lanes are there for a purpose.

Plus all that's needed is an update and adherence to the road traffic regulations.

People for Europe and other developed countries no get 2 heads
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by fabulous03(f): 3:05pm On Sep 19, 2021
uniquetechng:
Europe has wider roads with space for bikes provided unlike what we have here.
uniquetechng:
Europe has wider roads with space for bikes provided unlike what we have here.
you are right
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by Depressed101: 3:06pm On Sep 19, 2021
Cashsteady:
Bicycles are seen as an essential means of transportation in most European countries and Asian countries and some few countries in America and Africa,not that they don't have cars but they see it as a faster means of moving within the city..But still don't understand why people here don't adapt the method... Here in Nigeria if you ride bicycle on major roads people just keep staring at you because they don't see it as common thing. Some even see it as a sign of poverty, everyone wanna drive exotic cars so they can get noticed...

What people don't Know is that bicycle is actually a faster means of transportation to move within a city rather than waiting all day long in your car stucked in traffic. A journey you Would spend 2hrs With your car stucked in traffic you would spend less than an hour with a bicycle..

I strongly think Nigerians should adopt this method most especially in Lagos.. fancy cars is not everything.. bicycle saves time and it's cheaper to afford..if we adopt this method I can tell you traffic would drastically reduce in Lagos and Nigeria as a whole
bro this is the tropics, the sun is so much of you had suit on you will be dripping in your own sweat before you get to your workplace, besides who doesn't need the protection that comes with cars, the hardwork too of peddling a bicycle is not encouraging
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by Bluffly: 3:06pm On Sep 19, 2021
Cashsteady:
Bicycles are seen as an essential means of transportation in most European countries and Asian countries and some few countries in America and Africa,not that they don't have cars but they see it as a faster means of moving within the city..But still don't understand why people here don't adapt the method... Here in Nigeria if you ride bicycle on major roads people just keep staring at you because they don't see it as common thing. Some even see it as a sign of poverty, everyone wanna drive exotic cars so they can get noticed...

What people don't Know is that bicycle is actually a faster means of transportation to move within a city rather than waiting all day long in your car stucked in traffic. A journey you Would spend 2hrs With your car stucked in traffic you would spend less than an hour with a bicycle..

I strongly think Nigerians should adopt this method most especially in Lagos.. fancy cars is not everything.. bicycle saves time and it's cheaper to afford. if we adopt this method I can tell you traffic would drastically reduce in Lagos and Nigeria as a whole
Nigerian Cities and towns are not built to be pedestrian-friendly, wheelchair friendly, handicapped-friendly.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by ddjay: 3:11pm On Sep 19, 2021
Cashsteady:

Why is accident not to much in Europe It's actually a faster and better means of transportation... And yeah I think okada should be ban In major cities like Lagos but Nigerians are stubborn and won't listen
Nigerians are not Europeans, pedestrians and cyclist are respected there while here it's the opposite, cars and trucks own the roads and you will be crushed if not careful

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by Broveens42(m): 3:17pm On Sep 19, 2021
The only thing we know how to do is ride at home. We ride and ride so much that we are estimated to be 200 million or more.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by Nobody: 3:25pm On Sep 19, 2021
Cashsteady:

I strongly think Nigerians should adopt this method most especially in Lagos.. fancy cars is not everything.. bicycle saves time and it's cheaper to afford..if we adopt this method I can tell you traffic would drastically reduce in Lagos and Nigeria as a whole

It's cool but weigh it from both sides. While it will curb traffic, it will also make the revenue of state and local government decline and likewise the billions of naira that taxi drivers and agbero gain annually will go down. Many people will lose their jobs. Arm robbery will increase
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by CXLVII: 3:26pm On Sep 19, 2021
Death rate will skyrocket
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by SeriouslySense(m): 3:30pm On Sep 19, 2021
I enjoy riding Bicycle outside Nigeria, there are special lanes, nobody drags it with you, not even people, people are patient, and orderly, and have a brain, there is no extreme poverty and desperation, you can be attacked while riding in Nigeria.

It is good to ride bicycles and when the road is sloping down, you don't need to put any effort, it just rolls down, i have difficulty riding, up a hilly road, but it makes one stronger and fitter.

You can also do stunts cheesy cheesy cheesy.

Once you have mastered your bicycle and the roads are good, you can use it to go to work, i have seen people use it to go 5 kilometers or more.

It depends on the agility and stamina of the individual, you can also train to increase you stamina, or persistence levels,

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by kpomo: 3:33pm On Sep 19, 2021
Very good idea anywhere in the world, but not in Lagos. Danfo will never allow Bicycle free way or right of way. Lagos roads are congested with no extra path of bicycle. I lived on small cotonou for years, there are path of motorcycles and bicycles. They don't drag the main road with Danfo,keke or okada. Kole work in Lagos
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 19, 2021
I don't know how to ride bicycle I never had one growing up, so this is unfeasible
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by SeriouslySense(m): 3:35pm On Sep 19, 2021
cheesy cheesy cheesy, But Nigeria is full of lawlessness, simple things like bicycles,could have been in use.

Apart from bicycles, we have Scooters, for those who don't have stamina for bicycles,

kpomo:
Very good idea anywhere in the world, but not in Lagos. Danfo will never allow Bicycle free way or right of way. Lagos roads are congested with no extra path of bicycle. I lived on small cotonou for years, there are path of motorcycles and bicycles. They don't drag the main road with Danfo,keke or okada. Kole work in Lagos

Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by SeriouslySense(m): 3:39pm On Sep 19, 2021
Its very easy, i never had one while growing up, but i used my friends Bicycle in University to learn, it took me some days, to gain control of it.

Because i am not good with driving mechanical vehicles, i imagine, if you are good or a fast learner with mechanical vehicles, bicycles will be moimoi

LordVoldermort:
I don't know how to ride bicycle I never had one growing up, so this is unfeasible
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by JykeMitch(m): 3:41pm On Sep 19, 2021
Nigeria is not civilized enough to drive bicycle
Our road is bad
And we drive like mad people
Abeg you dey see transport bus wey em brake light dey wor?...... abegi
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 19, 2021
SeriouslySense:
Its very easy, i never had one while growing up, but i used my friends Bicycle in University to learn, it took me some days, to gain control of it.

Because i am not good with driving mechanical vehicles, i imagine, if you are good or a fast learner with mechanical vehicles, bicycles will be moimoi

Okay interesting, but I think mechanical vehicles should be easier than bicycles since no peddling involved, never driven either though
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by SeriouslySense(m): 3:52pm On Sep 19, 2021
It's easy to change bicycles gears, which adjust the level of control (ease or difficulty of control).

Just Change once, you don't need to keep changing as you use it,

But for manual cars, it gives me a tougher time, but not hard. Only Automatic cars are like bicycles to me.

LordVoldermort:
Okay interesting, but I think mechanical vehicles should be easier than bicycles since no peddling involved, never driven either though
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by Nobody: 3:59pm On Sep 19, 2021
SeriouslySense:
It's easy to change bicycles gears, which adjust the level of control (ease or difficulty of control).

Just Change once, you don't need to keep changing as you use it,

But for manual cars, it gives me a tougher time, but not hard. Only Automatic cars are like bicycles to me.

Okay nice
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by MummyD2020(f): 4:03pm On Sep 19, 2021
Cashsteady:

On which road? Do we have marked space for cycling? U want to leave the country worse than it has been. There must be adequate plan for it. The roads are not even aide enough for vehicles. Give us like 1000 years from now.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by palsenator(m): 4:05pm On Sep 19, 2021
Pierocash:
The accident will be too much. If okada is banned ,why allow bicycle? The casualty rate will be unprecedented

Where did you arrive at your assumption? Casualty rate will be unprecedented? Like seriously? You even compared Okada to bicycle..

Well it is your opinion sha.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by naturefellow(m): 4:09pm On Sep 19, 2021
Pierocash:
you make no point. Are bicycle and motorcycle the same?
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by naturefellow(m): 4:10pm On Sep 19, 2021
[quote author=Cashsteady post=105966462]
Why is accident not to much in Europe It's actually a faster and better means of transportation... And yeah I think okada should be ban In major cities like Lagos but Nigerians are stubborn and won't listen[/quote] and don't want to be perceived as poor. But they're not wise.

I have a lawyer friend that bikes to work daily.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by naturefellow(m): 4:11pm On Sep 19, 2021
Cashsteady:

Why is accident not to much in Europe It's actually a faster and better means of transportation... And yeah I think okada should be ban In major cities like Lagos but Nigerians are stubborn and won't listen
and don't want to be perceived as poor. But they're not wise.

I have a lawyer friend that bikes to work daily.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by omanzo02: 4:11pm On Sep 19, 2021
cocolacec:

Nigerians will need bicycle lanes like they have in Europe.
Mapping and constructing bicycle lanes are piece of cake but Nigeria will make it as if it's rocket science.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by BigDolph(m): 4:13pm On Sep 19, 2021
Pierocash:

Was it because of casualties or accident made them ban okada?
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by freshalien: 4:16pm On Sep 19, 2021
Pierocash:

Because Nigerians drive like mad people and there are no proper laws and punishments to ensure adherence to good road use and careful driving by the citizens. In Europe people ride bicycles a lot, yet very rarely you hear of accidents involving cars and cyclists. And the punishment for knocking down or even killing a cyclist ennn! You could even be banned from driving anywhere in Europe forever. So drivers are very careful when there is a cyclist in front of them, they give them enough space before overtaking them.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by blaque7: 4:20pm On Sep 19, 2021
Becos na bicycle the dey drive for USA n UK.

Una no fit agitate for our criminal government to give us modern train so we can go to kano from PH n come back within 3 hours.

Na Bicycle una wan drive?
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by Leetika: 4:25pm On Sep 19, 2021
It is not everything dey copy. Nigeria weather is not the same. Over there the weather is much more chilled. And the town planning is better . It can never work in Nigeria.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by vasel15: 4:30pm On Sep 19, 2021
Buhari government is telling us to ride bicycles
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by UndauntedYOCA(f): 4:38pm On Sep 19, 2021
Many Nigerians no get chill and are always in a hurry.
Mental stress does exist and many are experiencing it.
A lot of people do not obey traffic rules.
Angry people everywhere.
Pedestrian crossings are ignored.
Fast & furious drivers everywhere.
Drunk drivers and substance abusers plenty for road.
Original dangbanashokos wey no get joy eyes dey red!
The above reasons are some of the reasons it can't work in Nigeria.
You wan make dem knock person off for road?
grin grin grin
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by Wayne4uall(m): 4:44pm On Sep 19, 2021
We no get good roads
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by shiwex: 5:19pm On Sep 19, 2021
Niger sun na die..and if you reach work, bathroom no dey, if there is is bathroom, water no dey.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Adopt The Cycling Means Of Transportation (bicycle) Pics. by Hassanmaye(m): 5:27pm On Sep 19, 2021
OkuFaba:
Riding from mainland to island everyday and back to the mainland.

Our ladies would have yam legs before 25 that is if those kurupe (tiny bus) drivers don't kill them before getting to their destination
Hahahhahahaha

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UK People Are Miserable, Nigerians Are 'happy' / Lady In Tears As Bolt Driver Kicks Her Out Over Her Accent (Video) / Passenger With No Flying Experience Landed Plane After Pilot Is Incapacitated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.