Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,847 members, 7,798,829 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:00 AM

See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 (33153 Views)

Do You Still Have This 1982 Mercedes Benz. Is It Worth N1m As Vintage? / Michael Jackson Thriller Download Zip (1982) / Price Of A Volkswagen Beetle In 1982 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by bjtinz: 9:37pm On Sep 19, 2021
osazsky:
If your monthly salary for a month was 100 naira.this means that it will take a year for you to save 1200 without eating for a year buying clothes transport rent and other utilities.. on the average after expenses u will be left with 300 naira at the end of the year..u will have to work for a minimum of 12 to 13 years before u could afford this..considering the time value of money..if your salary is 100k..u will have to work for 12 years too before u can afford a car of same value..so nothing changed

My point exactly. At almost 4k, this beetle then would still be beyond the reach of the average Nigerian.

I still think it was highly overpriced tho.
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by micflo28(m): 9:37pm On Sep 19, 2021
Them never born boko haram, bandits and unknown gumen then. If only their fathers used a condom then.

3 Likes

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by sexxxyprince: 9:39pm On Sep 19, 2021
Jazzman01:
This Volkswagen costs less than #4000 Naira back then in 1982. [s]Today, 4000 Naira cannot even buy a tyre or Battery.[/s]

STOP TALKING TRASH ONLINE. WAS YOUR GRAND FATHER ABLE TO GET 4K EASILY IN 1982?
WAS ANYONE EARNING 30K NAIRA AS MINIMUM WAGE?
STOP ALL THESE USELESS POST

3 Likes

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by CocoaOla: 9:40pm On Sep 19, 2021
thesicilian:
It was still super expensive then. Truth is, things are never ever getting cheaper. You just have to increase your purchasing power by making more money than the general population.
when your minimum wages is not up to 50$
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by sexxxyprince: 9:40pm On Sep 19, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Everything was ok as at then..... Sometimes when I look at my popsman,I just dey shake my head throwayundecided. Because considering how things were cheaper then,why dem no buy plots of land keep.... Instead they were running after bannies upandan undecided

Just imagine am na......

Las las cha, everything for this country don cast finish.......Even at a time self,na only God know how many bannies baba control via that volkswagen that year grin.
WHY IS THIS GENERATION SO DUMB?, I DONT EVEN WANT TO TYPE SEF

4 Likes

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by thesolutions(m): 9:42pm On Sep 19, 2021
BKayy:
Then, they count from kobo and getting up to a thousand naira then was no joke.
I know people that built decent houses with 6 thousand naira. The houses are still standing.
Dont be confused with the numbers but the quality. It's just like Ghana Cedis, removing or adding few zeros doesn't change the value.

The equivalent of 4000 naira in 1982 to now is 1.4m
Those thinking that it is the same with the 4k they have in their pockets right now should keep that in mind.
is he saying that if I can provide money printed in 1982 I can change it to 1.4 million Naira at CBN? The argument should be the value of our money.
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by Originalsly: 9:44pm On Sep 19, 2021
It's a used VW. In 1982 the exchange rate was N4.81 ..... today it's 100 times more. Would N400K be a reasonable price for the car today?
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by uuzba(m): 9:45pm On Sep 19, 2021
ArticleBeast:
What was the value of 4k then
Well, 4k was a big money.
My school fees was about N50 a term. (Fifty Naira)
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by lastchild: 9:46pm On Sep 19, 2021
it's the same thing, the same way it's difficult to raise 4 million now its the same as 4,000 then.
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by LANUX: 9:48pm On Sep 19, 2021
SarkinYarki:
It's still the same cost today ..don't play yourself ... understand value
. Exactly

1 Like

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by LANUX: 9:50pm On Sep 19, 2021
osazsky:
If your monthly salary for a month was 100 naira.this means that it will take a year for you to save 1200 without eating for a year buying clothes transport rent and other utilities.. on the average after expenses u will be left with 300 naira at the end of the year..u will have to work for a minimum of 12 to 13 years before u could afford this..considering the time value of money..if your salary is 100k..u will have to work for 12 years too before u can afford a car of same value..so nothing changed
great comment
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by overdrive(m): 9:51pm On Sep 19, 2021
naijaguy123456:
Land of Doom , Nigeria. My father bought his 2 plots of land in the 70s at 150 naira each, my uncle bought a new Datsun tear rubber I think in the 80s for 4,000 naira . My father retired in the year 1990 on 1,200 naira Pension. He will send me to the bank with a cheque for 100 sometimes and each time he will asked for his account balance. Bank staff will write it and put it in an envelope. I dare not open it ! Lagos to Ibadan bus was 20 - 50 naira then , (80s-90) now about 3,000 ! My father will give me 120 naira Return Lagos to Ibadan, I will enter Hausa trailer at toll gate for 10 naira and pocket the rest money !

Anybody remember 7up spell and win ? You spell the words with the letters under the crown you win . Star price then was Daewoo racer. You need to spell DAEWOO but the letter D everywhere wasn’t coming ! My brother used his school fees to buy 4 crates of 7 up, opened all but no letter D. My sister was to later grassed on him and told my dad !

Good old days. .

2 Likes

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by musicwriter(m): 9:52pm On Sep 19, 2021
About that time I believe I was in primary 1 and my brother gave me a school bag. When I got to school I found 50kobo (it was in note at that time) and I and my friends dismissed from school and went on eating spree. We bought tin fish (geisha to be specific), eggs, sweets, meat, moi moi, anything we could find.... and I still got home with some coins left grin grin

4 Likes

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by Neddyogu(m): 9:52pm On Sep 19, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Everything was ok as at then..... Sometimes when I look at my popsman,I just dey shake my head throwayundecided. Because considering how things were cheaper then,why dem no buy plots of land keep.... Instead they were running after bannies upandan undecided

Just imagine am na......

Las las cha, everything for this country don cast finish.......Even at a time self,na only God know how many bannies baba control via that volkswagen that year grin.

Things look better in retrospect. Trust me, people still complained of poverty and bad economy back then. Do u think it was easy to buy land back then?

1 Like

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by Seankhalifa: 9:53pm On Sep 19, 2021
Then u dnt import second hand car...

1 Like

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by MikkieEl: 9:54pm On Sep 19, 2021
BKayy:
I know people that built decent houses with 6 thousand naira. The houses are still standing.
Dont be confused with the numbers but the quality. It's just like Ghana Cedis, removing or adding few zeros doesn't change the value.

Those thinking that it is the same with the 4k they have in their pockets right now should keep that in mind.

Are you sure it's not about 3M now?
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by cenaman(m): 9:54pm On Sep 19, 2021
I just bought a bottle of Andre now at 25k.
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by Nobody: 9:57pm On Sep 19, 2021
NwaNimo1:
Is that tokunbu?

Tokunboh came with Democracy in 1999.

Cars were purchased tear Rubber before 1999. 22 years ago.

The first used cars imported into Nigeria came from Belgium.

5 Likes

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by Emmanuel909090: 9:59pm On Sep 19, 2021
Good old days.

1 Like

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by NamelessOGBENI(m): 10:02pm On Sep 19, 2021
This was what Wiz Khalifa had in mind when he said..

Those were the days hardwork forever pays.

1 Like

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by NamelessOGBENI(m): 10:06pm On Sep 19, 2021
ugbanante:
What exactly is the motive for this topic on a sunday like this?
Is it to cause me a bad evening or further give grounds to castigate this administration?
OP, please we need to set up 'panel of enquiry' to investigate the immediate and remote cause of this kind of post. cool
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by Danjikanbauchi: 10:06pm On Sep 19, 2021
That was before Awolowo destroyed Nigeria Economy, with his hate policies and advice. Thank God he died of Rat poison.
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by Sleekfingers: 10:06pm On Sep 19, 2021
peppermint7:
The way things de appreciate for this country de alarming.
How time flies
Below are pictures of Lagos in the good old days

Nice....the first picture is marina.....
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by whyteteeth: 10:13pm On Sep 19, 2021
This generation is so dumb honestly.

Money and value change with time. 4k in 1982 wasn't an easy money to come by. Only the rich could afford a car of 4k.

Things like cars, education etc have always been expensive.

In the 60s, only very few people were able to attend secondary school. Infact many people who attended school at that time were sponsored by their community or scholarship.

My father attended secondary school in the 60s and 70s. He told me his poor father had to sell a lot of land to send him to secondary school. School fees per term for boarding was 36pounds in 1962. At a point when he ran out of lands to sell, my father had to go stay with his uncle in Enugu who was doing well so he could train him in school

It was the Uncle who raised money for him to finish secondary school.

Buying a car was luxury and could only be something meant for the rich in the 60s to 80s.

His first salary after going to UI was 400naira in 1979

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by Nobody: 10:13pm On Sep 19, 2021
That means it has not been easy then gan,so i come they are all saying in oldern days
BKayy:

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by Nobody: 10:15pm On Sep 19, 2021
Hemanwel:
Since 2012 that I have been on this forum, this is like the first time I made it to the FTC position on a particular thread. Feeling is just normal; not ecstatic like some do.

BTW:

How many days are remaining for this Buhari administration to wind up? I am so looking forward to that day.

Please don't be offended. What do you people gain from commenting first?
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by bluefilm: 10:16pm On Sep 19, 2021
Adolf Hitler's Beetle.

der Käfer.
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by BestJay(m): 10:18pm On Sep 19, 2021
Everything get time jor, if you see the car anywhere now, the person go dey give you price even though, Na manage you want do am.
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by juniorstar(m): 10:20pm On Sep 19, 2021
Jazzman01:
This Volkswagen costs less than #4000 Naira back then in 1982. Today, 4000 Naira cannot even buy a tyre or Battery.

Brand new one oo no be foreign used
Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by juniorstar(m): 10:26pm On Sep 19, 2021
NwaNimo1:
Is that tokunbu?
Brand new...nobody buys tokunbo then...popsy bought brand new passat, brand new Peugeot 504,505

1 Like

Re: See The Cost Of a Volkswagen In 1982 by Yungmil: 10:26pm On Sep 19, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed

u better stop looking at him and start working smart and hard before your own children will start looking at you grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

500 cars in 2010 for sales....going......going.......going / EFCC Raids Astrax Autos, Seizes 29 Cars / Car Diagnostic kit On Your Laptop N17K

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.