Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,776 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:47 PM

Diary Of A Pig Farmer - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Diary Of A Pig Farmer (11036 Views)

This High-rise Tower In China Isn't A Housing Block, It's A Pig Farm / I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up / Are You A Smart Pig Farmer? Know These Now. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 4:32pm On Sep 19, 2021
It gets to a stage in life where one pushes himself to achieve what seems beyond reach due to the economic woes we are faced with in Nigeria.

It was a sunny afternoon, i was comfortably seated at my air conditioner office, pondering about events staring at me, getting married in few weeks time with a salary of about 150k with an official car in Lagos doesnt look right to me. Starting a family in such situation wasnt what i wanted but, but alas, this is Nigeria with limited opportunities.

I started planning on whether to start my own business in that line or venture into agriculture full time, i settled for the former... I was doing really fine, travelling across the country executing contracts until covid came, and it was like we were back to square one.

I relocated my family to Ibadan from Lagos as soon as covid subsided a bit, then i wrote an application to different government agencies seeking for a land lease, after some some few months of aggressive applications, i was able to secure some acres not far away from my abode. However, during the period of looking for land, i registered at college of forestry to attain some basic knowledge on what i'm about to venture into, i've got no knowledge whatsoever about farming, but i know i have a thing for livestock.

I was able to get some practical knowledge from a good samaritan who told me to feel free to visit his pig farm anytime i so wish. I will forever be gratful pastor, one hardly come across people like that who is willing to help. With that, i got to know there are different types of breeds in pigs, such as:
●Land race
●Large white
●Duroc
●Camburough
●Local breeds etc.

While i was waiting to complete the construction of my own pen, i rented 4 rooms pen at a farm, each goes for 15k/year. Then i bought a pure female landrace weaner at 40k, then 5 pure white females at 25k each. I placed them in 3 of the rooms while i used the fourth for food storage.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 4:38pm On Sep 19, 2021
The day i bought the pigs, i got some milk from fanmilk, then i mixed their feeds with it..for them to grow faster and healthier.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 4:48pm On Sep 19, 2021
Pigs are fond of water and they are also voracious eaters, pig feeds is what a new farmer should consider before venturing into the business, once feeding is sorted, then be rest assured your pigs will give you the desired results.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 4:57pm On Sep 19, 2021
This is a landrace, they are fond of having drooping ears, they have high littered rate and they are also good mothers.

Pig feeds requires combination of different products, Pkc, soya, barley, starter among others.
Note: pigs can eat anything as long as its not injurious to their health, they like watermelon too and some food wastes that is no longer needed at home.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by tillaman(m): 4:58pm On Sep 19, 2021
Following

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 5:07pm On Sep 19, 2021
It takes a pig 3months, 3weeks and 3days to reproduce after mating, and pigs are known to give birth to atleast 7 piglets, some do give birth to as much as 20 piglets at a go. The demand for pork is now on the increase in Nigeria, that is why a piglet(weaner) goes for atleast 20k now, some exotic piglets goes as much as 70k right now, a pure duroc piglet goes for atleast 100k right now, imagine if one has 15 of such in one's farm, thats like 1.5 million staring at such person.

Will update later and i will be ready to take questions and at thesame time learn from other experts on the forum.

4 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by xteve(m): 6:43pm On Sep 19, 2021
Following.
God bless the work of your hand sir.

4 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 3:54pm On Sep 20, 2021
I also ensured i had a deal with an aboki selling fruits at a location close to me, whenever i go there, he supplies me with loads of fruits waste just for a pittance, which is also serving a nutritional purpose.

I was paying the farm hand helping in the cleaning of the pens and feeding about 10k monthly and with some tips so as to give the pigs utmost care & presence. I could have been cleaning and feeding it myself to cut cost, but i knew there would be days when i wont be physically available to visit the farm, hence the farm hand. Nevertheless, it is advisable one visits the farm each day to keep your farm hand on their toes, and also to monitor your feeds, if not one would be running at loss as they can be using your feeds to feed other animal of interest to them., some can even be selling it.

Currently, i spend 20k every two weeks for 10 pigs which is on the high side, a kilo of pkc now goes for #85, i buy 100kg, a kilo of soya is #350, i buy atleast 10kg, also barley goes for #80/kg now, we buy atleast 25kg. Then we round it up by buying a bag of super starter at the rate of #6000 plus.
We are devising a method whereby we buy dry cassava peels, grind it and mixing it with pkc and some barley, that should get us more quantity at that sum to last them for a month atleast.

Feeding is just the most headache of a pig farmer, because they are voracious eaters, if one can manage that department right, then one will make good money.

3 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 3:59pm On Sep 20, 2021
Pictures taken when they were 3months old

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 4:08pm On Sep 20, 2021
All they do is just to eat and sleep, i've noticed as soon as we serve them the milk, they start feeling sleepy.... you will then see them struggling to stay awake so the next pig does not finish the feeds before they wake... pigs can be full of drama, and they are so interesting to watch.

5 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 4:18pm On Sep 20, 2021
After sometime, i decided to buy some more piglets, the more the merrier they say afterall....
I bought 2 camburoughs for 30k each, 2 large whites for 25k each. I was giving them strictly starter feeds to give nutrients and also aid their growth.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 4:23pm On Sep 20, 2021
Photo of the camburough reproducing...

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 4:28pm On Sep 20, 2021
I will be updating later, the essence of this thread is to educate and encourage whoever is willing to venture into agriculture but still having a cold feet to take that leap of faith, there is money in agriculture and there is no rocket science involved as long as you know the basic things necessary...

5 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by xteve(m): 2:56am On Sep 21, 2021
wizzie001:
Photo of the camburough reproducing...

How many piglets did the camburough produce?
Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 7:42am On Sep 21, 2021
xteve:

16, but we lost 2 due to negligence on the part of the mother pig and the farm hand. 14 is still a good number considering that some pigs are bad mothers, they either trample on the weaners or eat them when they are hungry...pathetic isnt it?
Thats why one should ensure there is enough quality feed with the mother so she wont be tempted when she is hungry.

6 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by cjay10: 12:42pm On Sep 21, 2021
Wow! Thank you for sharing your experiences and encouraging someone..... Am moved to start something with this inform.... Don't know if I can have your details for more mentorship towards my kick starting this project.... My contact... 08079779911... Thank you boss!
Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by Roses1759: 1:33pm On Sep 21, 2021
Well done. Great diary. I enjoyed every bit of the ride up till this point. More strength to sir...

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by bizzibodi(m): 3:24pm On Sep 21, 2021
That is a good one I can see U bought different female breed for breeding,but didn't buy d corresponding male breed?do U bought them pregnant?your feeding is on d high side I suggested U buy brewery waste in bulk(tipper load) dry them mixed with PKC in bulk or wheat bran in place of brewery spent grain,corn bran, if pigs can eat Moringa leaves plant them & feed them since it is high in protein,vit & minerals.
How much will a 2 month weaner cost?
Do not end this dairy keep us updated.
Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by benzion72(m): 4:43pm On Sep 21, 2021
Keep it up I never knew Winners pig can go for 25k
Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by tyeenigga(m): 6:24pm On Sep 21, 2021
Grt piece, interested in piggry
wizzie001:

16, but we lost 2 due to negligence on the part of the mother pig and the farm hand. 14 is still a good number considering that some pigs are bad mothers, they either trample on the weaners or eat them when they are hungry...pathetic isnt it?
Thats why one should ensure there is enough quality feed with the mother so she wont be tempted when she is hungry.
Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 7:17pm On Sep 21, 2021
cjay10:
Wow! Thank you for sharing your experiences and encouraging someone..... Am moved to start something with this inform.... Don't know if I can have your details for more mentorship towards my kick starting this project.... My contact... 08079779911... Thank you boss!

Ofcourse, you can even start with just one female weaner, but you have to ensure you are not being sold a local breed in disguise of a pure breed. You will be surprise what turnover that one piglet would give after just a year. According to legend, people of old refer to pig business as 'bamitanse' in yoruba parlance which means,"end poverty for me".
May God help you through as you start.

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 7:30pm On Sep 21, 2021
bizzibodi:
That is a good one I can see U bought different female breed for breeding,but didn't buy d corresponding male breed?do U bought them pregnant?your feeding is on d high side I suggested U buy brewery waste in bulk(tipper load) dry them mixed with PKC in bulk or wheat bran in place of brewery spent grain,corn bran, if pigs can eat Moringa leaves plant them & feed them since it is high in protein,vit & minerals.
How much will a 2 month weaner cost?
Do not end this dairy keep us updated.

Yeah, i bought all as weaners, the feeds i give them with the milk ensure they grow at a rapid rate, and ofcourse i bought a large white male and a duroc male from a different farm to avoid in-breeding...
I havent tried brewery waste, but its an open option for me which i will be considering soon. Meanwhile, i'm working on getting bags of dry cassava peels, grind it to powder, mix with pkc, wheat bran and probably soya, that will be cheaper i guess.

And by the way, weaners are costly now due to the demand and perhaps the swine fever that wiped out most pigs last year, an exotic weaner at IR&T Ibadan goes for 60k, you can get it somewhere else lesser.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 7:34pm On Sep 21, 2021
benzion72:
Keep it up I never knew Winners pig can go for 25k

I never knew pigs were that expensive until i ventured into it, exotic(imported) breeds goes as much as 60k, a pure duroc weaner as at April this year is selling at 120k. I dont know about now anyway.
Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 7:36pm On Sep 21, 2021
tyeenigga:
Grt piece, interested in piggry

Please feel free to ask questions, its actually a great business.

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 7:45pm On Sep 21, 2021
I've come to realize we Nigerians are not lazy as was insinuated in some quarter, what is hindering most is just finance... and to think that most financial institutions and government agencies here are not sincere about loans and grants to help aspiring young farmers.
Irrespective of all of these, we shouldnt let all these setbacks hinder us from achieving our goals, just start something and put God first, i'm sure we will all laugh last....

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 8:09pm On Sep 21, 2021
A 12 room pig pen under construction. Please note when building a pig pen, the walls and floor must well solidified with cement so as for the pigs not to snack through the wall and escape, pigs are capable of snacking on anything in view. And by the way, the iron doors must be strong enough too, i was a victim of substandard iron gates and i had to do another when the pigs destroyed the initial ones.

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by tyeenigga(m): 10:36pm On Sep 21, 2021
My main challenge is start up capital and getting a place to keep them, planning to run it in ilorin
wizzie001:

Please feel free to ask questions, its actually a great business.
Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by bizzibodi(m): 1:57pm On Sep 27, 2021
Those wires on the bars won't it injure them?how do U dispose d waste?how much do U sell market size life.
Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 2:46pm On Sep 27, 2021
tyeenigga:
My main challenge is start up capital and getting a place to keep them, planning to run it in ilorin

Well, capital has always been the bane right from the outset, alot of people wish to start something, but when all avenues through which one could access capital has been flawed, what can one do?
Dont give up on your dream though!

2 Likes

Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by wizzie001(m): 2:52pm On Sep 27, 2021
bizzibodi:
Those wires on the bars won't it injure them?how do U dispose d waste?how much do U sell market size life.

The boko haram wire is just to prevent birds from intruding, birds are known to carry some diseases which could be injurous to the pigs. As for the pig waste, mostly goes as manure to plants whilst the rest into soakaway. The prices varies according to the kilogram of the pig, but generally, pigs are quite costly now.
Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by engray: 9:37pm On Sep 27, 2021
xteve:

I've always known that Agriculture is the new oil with promising potentials yet fully unexplored.
I would love to learn from you further. How can we connect.
Re: Diary Of A Pig Farmer by Oluwanieze: 10:15pm On Sep 27, 2021
Weldone chief
I want to go into farming,
I'd like to be your protégé

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Using Micro - Scale Agricultural Systems to Build the Nigerian Economy / Market And Marketing: The Farmers Headache / Is Ugu Farming This Useless?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.