Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:34 AM

Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri (27527 Views)

War In APC Over Oluremi Tinubu For Senate President / Bola And Oluremi Tinubu At Their Traditional Wedding / Oluremi Tinubu For Governor (Lagos State) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by tpia5: 12:20pm On Jun 03, 2011
Can someone give examples of the similar names yoruba share with itsekiris.
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by kpogede77: 3:51pm On Jun 03, 2011
May be you didn't read my previous post but to add more for you, there are names like Ogungbemi, Newuwumi, Eyinshola, Ilesanmi, Eyitayo, Odegbami, Ola, Temi, Odemi, Olugbemi, Obaloye, Kehinde, Omolubi, Omawumi, Tolu,

2 Likes

Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by tpia5: 4:36pm On Jun 03, 2011
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by EgbeNak: 4:49pm On Jun 03, 2011
If the Itsekiris are indeed Yorubas in diaspora what the furk are the Urhobos doing allowing this fuckry? These same Itsekiri people opposed the creation of mid-western state from the western region. Send them home please.

Cheers!!

tpia@:

^they spell their names differently and besides [b]edos can also have yoruba names [/b]without being yoruba.

Edos have Bini names thank you cheers.
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by jason123: 5:03pm On Jun 03, 2011
Egbe Nak:

If the Itsekiris are indeed Yorubas in diaspora what the furk are the Urhobos doing allowing this fuckry? These same Itsekiri people opposed the creation of mid-western state from the western region. Send them home please.

A very daft statement!

5 Likes

Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by kpogede77: 5:49pm On Jun 03, 2011
Tpia, Ileke-Idi abi nikor reshorukore, wekagborun? mofe ka uka ni tsekiri: okan, meji, meta, meren , maru, mefa, meje, mejor, mesan, megwa, okan legwa, eji legwa, meta legwa and so on. This is one to 13 in Itsekiri. Is this how Fulani and Edo people count 1 to 13?

2 Likes

Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by kpogede77: 8:17pm On Jun 03, 2011
Good explanation, we have made our point, any one who don't understand the explanation can pay a visit to Ugborodo. Aghan magbofor kpami, Ira Oke
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by Desola(f): 8:30pm On Jun 03, 2011
Tpia, Ileke-Idi abi nikor reshorukore, wekagborun? mofe ka uka ni tsekiri: okan, meji, meta, meren , maru, mefa, meje, mejor, mesan, megwa, okan legwa, eji legwa, meta legwa and so on. This is one to 13 in Itsekiri. Is this how Fulani and Edo people count 1 to 13?

i'm gonna try and translate.

Tpia, Ileke-idi or is that not your name? Don't you listen? I want to read something in Tsekiri: one, two, three, four, etc,

Did I get it right, Kpogede?

By the way, does kpogede translate to: chanting??
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by tpia5: 8:43pm On Jun 03, 2011
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by step1: 8:47pm On Jun 03, 2011
tpia@:

how many yorubas do you think can read that?

i told you the spelling is different and besides, it's a dialect. Even yorubas themselves dont always understand each other's dialects.

the numbering is the same, as has been pointed out on other threads.

i'd assume itsekiri is more related to the lukunmi people in delta-an ancient dialect of yoruba, but the lukunmis arent considered yoruba perse.

No tpia Itsekiri are yorubas in every right just different dialect. Infact I can understand Itsekiri more than Ekiti dialect. What he wrote down, I bet every yoruba can read it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by tpia5: 8:47pm On Jun 03, 2011
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by tpia5: 8:49pm On Jun 03, 2011
Egbe Nak:
Cheers!!

Edos have Bini names thank you

some edos have yoruba names.

no need to bust your pantaloons over that.
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by jason123: 8:52pm On Jun 03, 2011
step1:

No tpia Itsekiri are yorubas in every right just different dialect. Infact I can understand Itsekiri more than Ekiti dialect. What he wrote down, I bet every yoruba can read it.

Itsekiris are not yorubas BUT they are related to the Yorubas and Edos since they are from the ijebus and binis. thats that.
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by tpia5: 8:53pm On Jun 03, 2011
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by step1: 8:54pm On Jun 03, 2011
tpia@:

^^you bet wrong.

tpia what part of itsekiri/yoruba in this don't you understand

kpogede77:

translation
Tpai, Ileke-idi is there something wrong with your heads, ------? I want to write something in itsekiri: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jun 03, 2011
jason123:

Itsekiris are not yorubas BUT they are related to the Yorubas and Edos since they are from the ijebus and binis. thats that.

Didnt you use to say Itsekiris were Yoruba?

kpogede77:

abeg abeg abeg, I dont even understand Ijebu (Yoruba) dialect, how I go understand this one?
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by step1: 8:56pm On Jun 03, 2011
jason123:

It a group of people share believes, names, language and ideology then it is very safe to categorise them as part of the same ethnic group
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by tpia5: 8:58pm On Jun 03, 2011
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by step1: 8:58pm On Jun 03, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

abeg abeg abeg, I dont even understand Ijebu (Yoruba) dialect, how I go understand this one?

How was that hard to understand ? I am not good in reading and writing Yoruba but surly even I could understand that.
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by tpia5: 8:59pm On Jun 03, 2011
step1:

I am not good in reading and writing Yoruba

that's all.
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by step1: 9:02pm On Jun 03, 2011
tpia@:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-63015.0.html

The link you provided say they are a sub-group of Yoruba.

tpia@:

that's all.

I meant in the context that I could still read the Itsekiri writing even as bad as my yoruba is when compare to others.
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by tpia5: 9:06pm On Jun 03, 2011
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by tpia5: 9:08pm On Jun 03, 2011
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by jason123: 9:12pm On Jun 03, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I used to but not anymore. I found out more about my people n all. But were are related to the yorubas n binis.
PS: My personal opinion does not reflect on my people. I speak for myself. I feel more Yoruba than Itsekiri because of my stay in Lagos as honeric said.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by tpia5: 9:13pm On Jun 03, 2011
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by Desola(f): 9:25pm On Jun 03, 2011
Okay o, Itsekiri is not Yoruba as confirmed by the Itsekiris themselves. They only speak a variation of the Yoruba language. END OF!!
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by seanet02: 9:28pm On Jun 03, 2011
Reminds me of the curiosity i always have in my secondary school days about Okan, meji and meta oil fields during human geography classes. Itshekiris are Yorubas simple.
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by Desola(f): 9:36pm On Jun 03, 2011
Lol, can you force them to be what they believe that they are not? How would a Yoruba feel at being called Igbo?

I was also of the belief that Itsekiris were Yorubas but judging by the assertions made by the Itsekiris on this thread, i'd agree that they are not. Yorubas anywhere in the world are always proud to proclaim their 'oduduwa-ness', so for Itsekiri to reject it, I would accept that they are not.
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by step1: 9:58pm On Jun 03, 2011
tpia@:

@ step1

you didnt read the whole thing.

yes I missed a word which is the wekagborun

step1:

tpia what part of itsekiri/yoruba in this don't you understand

translation
Tpai, Ileke-idi is there something wrong with your heads/ your heads are not thinking right, ------? I want to write something in itsekiri: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by gidson12(m): 10:02pm On Jun 03, 2011
lol grin, nonsense, if the itsekiris are yoruba why then re they called itsekiri, just as the lkwerres are not igbos, but the languages are similar and they understand each other, small time them go say hausa na yoruba,
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by seanet03: 10:06pm On Jun 03, 2011
itshekiri are yoruba accept or shake the power line
Re: Oluremi Tinubu Is Itsekiri by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jun 03, 2011
Desola:

Okay o, Itsekiri is not Yoruba as confirmed by the Itsekiris themselves. They only speak a variation of the Yoruba language. END OF!!

The people of owo also have their own variation of yoruba yet they are still considered as yorubas.why will itsekiri consider themselves as something else yet speak a variation of yoruba language ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adieu! General David Akpode Ejoor’s Final Salute (1932 - 2019) / PDP To Protest Over Supreme Court Judgment In Imo / Buhari Congratulates Samia Suluhu Hassan, New Tanzanian President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.