Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,796 members, 7,798,690 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

What I Saw At The Bank Today!! - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What I Saw At The Bank Today!! (53856 Views)

Pls Who Else Is Having Issues With Access Bank Today?? / Rejection Of Old Dollar Notes: My Experience At The Bank Today / What I Saw In Zenith Bank Today (pic Attached) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Nobody: 2:02pm On Sep 22, 2021
lajid:

So I’ve got some questions regarding this:

1) how do these scammers get the phone number and account details of people to the extent of calling them and requesting personal information.

One fact is that they don't know anything about the person, and just trying their luck. I received three calls in some months ago when i was around from some fools claiming my card is expired, or my account is not linked to NIN or something stupid. When i threatened to find and jail them, they stopped calling. Your bank will never call you with a traditional line, and that's the first sign of the scam. And they mostly use UBA as their bait seeing it's one of the most popular banks people have.
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Juicy001: 2:08pm On Sep 22, 2021
Ans to your questions...

1: only an insider can get such information, theres no way a random number will just call stating he's/she's from your bank, some have been caught down here in the north, what they do is install your Mobile banking app on their phones and register with their victim's acc number, def an OTP will be sent to the owner of the acc,all they need to get is that OTP, once they have it,they can transfer cash, but most banks have daily limits........

2: the bank will not refund your money, it's the bitter truth, there's no evidence linking the caller to the bank, citizens have been warned that nobody from the bank is allowed to call you unless there's an urgent need and will only ask you to come over to the branch if theres an issue with your acc, the bank has all your details so why calling you for an OTP?

I've seen cases where by customer's lost millions of naira due to ignorance, a lady was scammed of 1.2 mill, they collected her OTP on a Friday evening till on Tuesday.......imagine, that's when she reported to the bank, her entire life savings,

God will reveal these heartless criminals one day.

3 Likes

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Bigwin2018: 2:08pm On Sep 22, 2021
Am sure this incident happened at first bank branch at wimpey/iwofe road in Port Harcourt.
lajid:
Hello everyone, so it happened that my Dad made some withdrawals at the ATM, on the last withdrawal the ATM did not dispense.l and he was debited.

Followed him to the bank to complain so the amount will be reversed.

Upon our arrival, we met a woman crying profusely. She was restless, saw three bankers on one computer trying to figure things out and another consoling her.

So it happened that she was scammed of N300,000. She said she received a call from someone who claimed to be the bank manager who asked her to provide some of her private information which she did.

Man, I felt bad for her. I was really angry inside, I hope this scammers meet their Waterloo.

1) how do these scammers get the phone number and account details of people to the extent of calling them and requesting personal information.

2) can the money be recovered, if yes what process does one need to follow. This is to educate people

On a final note, please and please, don’t give your personal information to anyone who claims to be from a certain bank. Always go the bank!

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Bobbyjay001(m): 2:17pm On Sep 22, 2021
[quote

As per ur No. 1 question, may God help us all, especially in this country as we are all vulnerable consciously or unconsciously, as long as we av our info or deals with internet or belong 2 any social media network, our info isn't safe. D only set of people dat r safe 2 sm level of extent r dose dat r completely offline nd has notin 2 do with online transactions or banking, dose set occupy d minority nd r mostly dose 4rm old generation.

We just need 2 be fraud conscious nd not be greedy. We need 2 tk it up as duty 2 shield ourselves.

[/quote]

I vehemently object your assertion on question 1 above.
My mother in-law is a retired headteacher, i mean those old school stuff and has neva had anything with internet.
She visited us sometime ago and a strange number called to demand foq her atm details. As someone suspicious,she handed over the phone to me while lashed the guy with curse.

It's not certain how they get their victim's info.
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Fremantle: 2:17pm On Sep 22, 2021
lajid:

Op let me answer your first question based on experience (first hand).

Most times the banking staffs are involved, the reason I said this is..... Let me tell u a story

My mom almost became a victim to this scammers, she has bin saving up a potion of money with her bank for an agreed number of years (Fixed Deposit) so after the years had elapsed, she started the process for withdrawal, it took time though, you know how banks can be. All necessary requirements were met and she asked for the money to b paid into her bank account.....

Now here's the funny thing, after the money was paid and alert received and she went home it was barely 2hours when she got a call
From her supposed bank telling her that her account has issues and that she needs to clarify it. She was asked to present her card digits, card expiration date, CCV number and her pin. Unknown to my mom it was a scam, due to she just collected the money and the circumstance in which the guy called, she thought it was something normal.

She provided all the necessary details and to even think she was the only one at home then, as they say "For God so Loved the world" that day God so Loved my mom, after a few minutes my dad came home and she narrated what happened, immediately my dad shouted and said they should go to the bank ASAP.

They got to the bank and reported, got the card blocked and the account closed as well but b4 the account was closed confirmation was made and the money was intact. My peeps had to withdraw the entire money from the account cheesy

Later went to HQ to complain, it was there we discovered that it was some staff of the bank who connive with outsiders to reap people off their saving. What they do is wen ur date is due, and payment is confirmed, they'll then send ur details to whoever they've planned with to reap u off, and once it's successful they get their cut.

I feel for the Lady, let's just pray we or anyone we know don't fall victim to this scammers, cos till now my mom anytime she looks back she always say, if they had withdrew the money from her account, she would have died by then. The sum then was N450k

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Philip4564(m): 2:18pm On Sep 22, 2021
All the fraudsters don't know the emotional trauma their victims are going through.. The day one scammed me of the 20k meant for my final year project mehn the thing pained me to my bones and marrow I nearly die I was just thinking of how to get the money..I really suffered to get that money even though I'm not yet through with the project because I had to leave school to go hustle for the money when my mate are already done with theirs.. Even though I've never scam anyone before I made a promise to myself and God that throughout my stay on Earth I'll never scam anybody of their hard earned money because I've felt the pain of been scammed

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Vasgas: 2:21pm On Sep 22, 2021
Onyenna:

Some of these scammers actually work hand-in-hand with some bankers.....

A week after my dad opened an account with First Bank, he got a call from someone claiming to work with First Bank.... He called my dad’s full names, date of birth and also mentioned our address correctly.

He then said our account has some issues that needed to be corrected immediately and he needs to verify if he’s really talking to the right person by asking us some questions. He then asked for Bvn, Atm card number and the 3 digits at the back etc!

I just kept saying “eehnnn” so as to keep him engaged and burn his credit....... lmao!!!

I ended the call when i got tired and told my dad the caller was a SCAMMER!!

Same thing happened to me the day I opened a unity bank account. I received a call saying the want to do verification that I should call the OTP.

My question is how do the know that I open an account?
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by ikdaddy01(m): 2:22pm On Sep 22, 2021
Ok I was in another bank too. And this guy was making noise. He will bring DIG AIG Trump..what happened. His account was used to scam someone and after withdrawing the money online, he came to take the balance cash not know it's been flagged. So we left him and the security to settle the matter.
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by gnykelly(m): 2:24pm On Sep 22, 2021
Richy4:
Since many Nigerians has taken to fraud Bank management should employ more forensic bankers... It will be too easy to dictate all these.....even something as elementary as EFTPOS are used as fraud and it couldn't be traced haba!!!

Bringing in forensic banker?...I doubt this Nigeria banks will do that when the shareholders are only interested in profit.
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by verbalbullet(m): 2:31pm On Sep 22, 2021
Insha Allah
xpressionx:
All these fraudsters will meet their Waterloo soon
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by BafanaBafana: 2:38pm On Sep 22, 2021
lajid:
Hello everyone, so it happened that my Dad made some withdrawals at the ATM, on the last withdrawal the ATM did not dispense.l and he was debited.

Upon our arrival, we met a woman crying profusely. She was restless, saw three bankers on one computer trying to figure things out and another consoling her.

So it happened that she was scammed of N300,000. She said she received a call from someone who claimed to be the bank manager who asked her to provide some of her private information which she did.

Man, I felt bad for her. I was really angry inside, I hope this scammers meet their Waterloo.

2) can the money be recovered, if yes what process does one need to follow. This is to educate people

On a final note, please and please, don’t give your personal information to anyone who claims to be from a certain bank. Always go the bank!
How they get their information is through pishing scams. Websites created to extract information. Nowadays they are plenty in Nigeria. Eg
Apply for fg covid disbursement.
Apply for Dangote grant
UBA is recruiting, and your CV to adebayo @ Gmail.com
Etc. When you fill these, they get your info from there. If your pin is your date of birth, sorry for you.
If it is any digit of your phone number, sorry for you.
If you use the same password for everything, sorry for you.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by alizma: 2:38pm On Sep 22, 2021
lajid:

The best solution is, never give your bank private information to anyone outside the bank and official position. What do I mean by outside the bank and official position?
1. Make sure if you have any issue to resolve, you walk into the bank to resolve it. Even when your account is blocked and you get a pop up message to call care sentre to reactivate it, don't do that, go to the bank.
2. When you get to the bank, make sure the person you ask for solution to your problem is sitting in a position that shows he/she is working in that bank because getting to the banking hall does not guarantee you that that you cannot be defrauded right inside the banking hall.
People's money are being taking away right inside the banking hall by fraud stars, they can use the same means to steal your information.
How do they do it? They know when bank is usually crowdy, they put on suit and walk around as if they are staff of the bank. They help people to get tellers and when they notice someone can easily fall for their trick, they move to the person and give him teller to fill and thereafter tell him to drop the money while they sign the teller for him, the customer is made to believe that his deposit will be posted late but the moment he stepped out, the fake banker also finds his way out and the rest is premium tears

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by sinola(m): 2:38pm On Sep 22, 2021
This is just tip of iceberg.
What is about to befall this Nation is better not imagined now that a terrorism promoter called, Pantami(minister for communication) have access to all our sensitive information via NIN.
We are sitting on a keg of gun powder.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by EndBuhariNow(m): 2:39pm On Sep 22, 2021
The bankers know themselves
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Zidoh(m): 2:42pm On Sep 22, 2021
So unfortunate and heartbreaking situation. Let's all becareful about information/data we give on the phone to anyone.
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Richy4(m): 2:43pm On Sep 22, 2021
gnykelly:

Bringing in forensic banker?...I doubt this Nigeria banks will do that when the shareholders are only interested in profit.

I understand Profit aspect the management were using, .. Another problem that needed to be tackled is the idea of Nigeria not having a Telecommunication Network owned by the state (landline)... Which should have been recognized as the official means of communication.

Everyone is using Mobil number to make both official and nonofficial calls.... Most countries, when they see mobile Number users asking for sensitive information like that, they simply ignore it knowing that It was fraud stars. They only answer landline as an official means of communication because it can be traced easily once the number got displayed even the city they were calling from.. .... Fraud stars capitalized on this loophole of mobile network and are dealing with the vulnerable citizens
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by jeff1607(m): 2:43pm On Sep 22, 2021
Sonnobax15:
lipsrsealed
Even tho nobody is infallible (i.e not above mistakes) but at least these Banks have been trying their best to educate their customers about the activities of these scammers....Yet, people keep falling victims undecided

Same thing almost happened to my popsman late last year when he went to open an account with first bank.... Immediately after he got his atm card,he was contacted by a scammer and was demanding for his card details...The good news was that I had cautioned and educated my dad on such things before...so when he called,he was even around,so I quickly took the phone from my dad and I was following up with the idiot just to waste his airtime grin. Las las,na insult the idiot begin to insult me untop my popsman own money sad

Na wa oh..

Like I do tell people,say yahoo money dey sweet oh but if e cast for you, na then you go know say na two types of water dey this life undecided

Very common with FIRSTBANK, seems their staff give out information to scammers. Sometimes even tell you how much you have left, worse is they are lackadaisical towards solving issues involving them.
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by PARADIZEPRIEST: 2:46pm On Sep 22, 2021
GET IT INTO YA SKULL PPL: NO MATTER WHAT,YOU DONT EVER GIVE OUT YOUR BANK DETAILS ON PHONE TO ANY FCKING PERSON,EVEN IF NA CBN GOVERNOR CALL YOU. undecidedIF YOU MUST GIVE BANK DETAILS VISIT THE BANK IN PERSON AND GET HARD EVIDENCE.
THEY CAN STILL TRACK THE CRIMINAL WITH HIS NIN REGISTERED NUMBER,IF THE BANK IS SERIOUS.
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by SmartPolician: 2:47pm On Sep 22, 2021
The day those Yahoo boys we always hail do not have white men to dupe, they will come after us.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Acidosis(m): 2:54pm On Sep 22, 2021
lajid:

Giveaway threads on Twitter, IG, and Nairaland smiley

When you post your name and account details on the Internet, you're 50% closer to getting scammed. By running a deep scan on your name, a smart person can detect a few personal info about you. Your name can expose other stuff like phone number, place of residence, and age. So when a scammer calls you on the phone by your name and mentions your bank, and account number, you are more likely to believe them.

The giveaway thing is why it is less likely to hear anyone get scammed of huge amounts using those cheap tricks. The rich largely do not flock around give-away threads on Twitter and IG with their personal/bank details.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by emmnprince(m): 2:58pm On Sep 22, 2021
Had similar experience early this year.

My cousin sister that I was the sole signatory to her bank account fell victim. 299k plus was debited from her a/c by one of these scammers who stole her phone with her ATM card accommodated in her phone's pouch. He was swift in the operation that before she informed me, fiam, 95% of the money has gone.

First bank we went to lodge complaint frustrated us ehn! The elderly woman that attended to our case was something else, very slow! She traced and traced, asked for this, asked for that, come tomorrow, come next week, and going to about 2 months, my impatient cousin, as a result of the stress & sauciness from that woman, kukuma relaxed & allowed it to slide.
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by dahme147(m): 2:58pm On Sep 22, 2021
The money is gone...Bank will never refund you for been so gullible. My old folks will never fall for that scam , my mumsie especially(mama ijebu) go just tell d caller oga u don fail dis time around oleeeeee...

[b]On a final note, please and please, don’t give your personal information to anyone who claims to be from a certain bank. Always go the bank![/quote][/b]

lajid:

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by alwaysdking(m): 3:00pm On Sep 22, 2021
Good Afternoon Nairalanders,

Firstly, Not all Bank Managers are fraudster like you said.

Secondly, Whenever you used any Automated Teller Machine that isn't your designated bank machine, something of this occurred. Whenever you use them, and it didn't dispense your cash, give it 3-5 mins on the queue there or better check your Online Banking Platform to be sure that you are not debited.

Thirdly, No ATM Splashes cash, the cash will rather stay on the machine and start beeping.

Thanks

brosom:
Duda see let me tell u, most of this fraudters are staffs and managers of the bank trust me.

Back to ur dad making a withdrawal and it didn't pay, well let me tell u all something I witnessed sometime ago.

I came to the bank A.t.m machine at around 9pm and met fee queue like about 9 persons, so It was getting my turn and the 3rd to last person before me left and the next Duda slot in his A.t.m, the machine counted but didn't bring out money, the Duda waited about 3minuts and left, just as he left the stupid machine splashes the money like we re in a club or something grin, few of us there picked, I picked 7k, I don't know the rest.

So what I'm trying to say is whenever such happened, make sure u inside the bank to confirme ur transaction..

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by realstars: 3:03pm On Sep 22, 2021
xpressionx:
All these fraudsters will meet their Waterloo soon
With only three mounth in prison they come out stronger than before

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Babisha10(m): 3:03pm On Sep 22, 2021
Yeah the money can be reverse if only she channel her complains to Central Bank
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by DieRich5: 3:09pm On Sep 22, 2021
BetBuilder365:

One fact is that they don't know anything about the person, and just trying their luck. I received three calls in some months ago when i was around from some fools claiming my card is expired, or my account is not linked to NIN or something stupid. When i threatened to find and jail them, they stopped calling. Your bank will never call you with a traditional line, and that's the first sign of the scam. And they mostly use UBA as their bait seeing it's one of the most popular banks people have.
I think some people in da bank re still helping Dem or na Dem Dy do am.........

I received a call more than 5 times now and Dem knew everything abt me like my name's ND even date of birth too, I just laughed cus bank will never call u expect ur the one who asks for the call when u gat issue (UBA)

Dem even move my sister 10k cheesy the day after she opened the account (UBA) she didn't tell me anything and after she don send Dem everything (otp) before she know say she get brother way smart undecided
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Buke26: 3:29pm On Sep 22, 2021
[i][/i]
tutudesz:

Inside job, the probability of them guessing your bank and phone number right is very low undecided

The probability of them getting your bank and phone number is very easy.....Once they get your phone number and then call such gullible people,
Scammer: ''you're banking with First Bank right?...
Person: ''no ooo my bank na Access Bank''
and that's it.

Worst case these scammers might have done their home work properly
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by Rogerss(m): 3:33pm On Sep 22, 2021
The details are gotten from NIBBS, the portal incharge of BVN. They would call the number you used to register on your BVN.
They would not mention the bank because you might have registered there, but no longer using the account.
Most people de Frauded are those who just registered there BVN because the NIBBS do not handle it well.
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by babtoundey(m): 3:36pm On Sep 22, 2021
It's saddening some people are extremely greedy and wicked that they don't mind inflicting emotional pains and trauma on others. Who knows how long it took the woman to save, what she intended to do with the money and how she suffered to get the money in her account. Some blockheads that will never end well just dashed her hope and naked her.

But what I observe, judging from my own experience, is that these scammers get access to people's data through the people that work in bank. In fact, I strongly believe some of them are staff of the bank.

I nearly fell into their traps not long ago. Normally, I am not the kind that fall for the trick of "we are your customer care representative". This man tricked me easily because he told me virtually everything I went to do at the bank the previous week. So, he came in with have you been able to resolve the issue (which he clarified) and I answered in affirmative. Then, he said, since I left, they had been trying to link this with that and they couldn't so they needed more information from me. I didn't notice he was a scammer until he got to the point of asking for digits in connection my ATM card.

The bank is not entirely blameless so they should always be held accountable.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by EZENDIZUOGU(m): 3:42pm On Sep 22, 2021
The money can be traced if it was transferred to anther Bank. Her bank can quickly contact the other bank via mail to put PND on the account so that the fraudsters cannot withdraw the money. unless it was use for shopping online it now become an issue.
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by webguru(m): 3:45pm On Sep 22, 2021
So sad.
If banks cant protect funds, Nigerians should move to crypto
Re: What I Saw At The Bank Today!! by namedo: 3:54pm On Sep 22, 2021
Most youths in the country have turned criminals.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

CBN To Block Bank Accounts Of 18 Companies (Full List) / How To Withdraw Above CBN Cash Limits / Lulu-Briggs' Burial Date Announced Two Years After His Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.