Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,783 members, 7,806,171 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:23 PM

Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan (9176 Views)

Buhari’s Appointments Are Not Lopsided Says Jonathan’s Former-aide, Omokiri / Support Me Or I Come After You Says Jonathan...martin Elechi's Son Arrested / IBB Is Confused, Says Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by davd: 2:50pm On May 27, 2011
If he feels 4 years term is short for him to fulfill his electioneer promises, let him honorable resign because the term is constitutional. But, he should have complain before contesting, and probably not contested for the position at all.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by fxtopedia(m): 2:56pm On May 27, 2011
I just laugh reading comments like this  ''I voted GEJ not PDP''

Stop thinking like a baby jare,  GEJ=PDP
PDP-GEJ
Therefore, if you vote GEJ, you vote PDP

Mr.President, ONE term ooooo,
We don't need polluted AIR,
Of a truth, we are enduring your tenure of[b] ultimatums[/b]  not enjoying it at all,
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by AmAlone: 2:58pm On May 27, 2011
davd:

If he feels 4 years term is short for him to fulfill his electioneer promises, let him honorable resign because the term is constitutional. But, he should have complain before contesting, and probably not contested for the position at all.

I tire ooo!!
Seriously, I am very disappointed in GEJ
What a shame!!! undecided
This man has already killed so much hope for tomorrow
with those words(4YEARS is not enough to implement "any change"wink
Peace
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by violent(m): 3:06pm On May 27, 2011
shut up you little whiners, you got what you voted!
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by afrika(f): 3:10pm On May 27, 2011
This is absolutely nonsense.
Nigerians are good in critizising and never good in proferring solution.
We are bent on hearing bad things or negative thoughts and excellent in criticizing them.

It is appalling when u even hear the so called young graduates also participating in this so called rumor from our idiotic old men called themselves fathers of nigeria all in the name of get rich quick. this people, u hardly see their children in the country. rather they all know that poverty is a disease in this country and you people must talk.

Let them do, but let them bear in mind that, what goes around comes around.

1 term or 2 terms, all we want is development and not story,
the guy with the fake news, let me assume that u are not a graduate,
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by sweettweet: 3:15pm On May 27, 2011
this guy is absolutely clueless, i have no shoes, i have no clothes, idiot jatijati
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by davd: 3:19pm On May 27, 2011
@afrika, what are u really saying?
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by DaDoctor: 3:21pm On May 27, 2011
@KX
WE ARE TALKING OF 36 STATES YOU ARE TALKING OF A SINGLE STATE

Meanwhile, if you are in lagos, visit the riverine area(one is behind UNILAG) then you would she FASHOLA HAS TRIED BUT HAS MORE TO DOBACK TO THE ISSUE JARE

yes Jona Jona is very correct, HE WOULD AERN ANOTHER TERM THROUGH PERFORMANCE
WATCH AND SEE,
DONT FORGET THIS THAT I HAVE SAID IN THE NEAR FUTURE
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Nobody: 3:28pm On May 27, 2011
FRESH AIR 2011!

Unadon dey cry ba! make u na wait small na! give the guy at least anoda 1 year - he will perform! tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

BEEF HERE IS THE NEW SLOGAN FOR 2015

FRESH RAIN 2015! grin grin grin

Singing wyclefs anything can happen! what what say what say what! wink wink wink
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by fxtopedia(m): 3:32pm On May 27, 2011
GEJ has seen this 4years as failure already!
If 4years is not enough, GEJ, kindly hug transformer. Mumu!!!
Even those who voted him are complaining now,
grin grin grin
I have no shoe,  LMAO
I have no bag, ROFLMAO
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Nobody: 3:33pm On May 27, 2011
Da Doctor:

@KX
WE ARE TALKING OF 36 STATES YOU ARE TALKING OF A SINGLE STATE

Meanwhile, if you are in lagos, visit the riverine area(one is behind UNILAG) then you would she FASHOLA HAS TRIED BUT HAS MORE TO DOBACK TO THE ISSUE JARE

yes Jona Jona is very correct, HE WOULD AERN ANOTHER TERM THROUGH PERFORMANCE
WATCH AND SEE,
DONT FORGET THIS THAT I HAVE SAID IN THE NEAR FUTURE

Your post shows you have little understanding of how government works in Nigeria.
There is a local government, state government and federal government. The powers of these different tiers are clearly stated in the constitution. The fact that GEJ is President doesn't necessarily mean He is managing the 36 states.
These are his basic duties <stolen from wikipedia>
   assenting to and signing Bills
   referring a Bill back to the National Assembly for reconsideration of the Bill's constitutionality
   referring a Bill to the Constitutional Court for a decision on the Bill's constitutionality
   summoning the National Assembly, or Parliament to an extraordinary sitting to conduct special business
   making any appointments that the Constitution or legislation requires the President to make, other than as head of the national executive
   appointing commissions of inquiry
   calling a national referendum in terms of an Act of Parliament
   receiving and recognising foreign diplomatic and consular representatives
   appointing ambassadors, plenipotentiaries, and diplomatic and consular representatives
   pardoning or reprieving offenders and remitting any fines, penalties or forfeitures
   conferring honours

Basically, he's there to ensure that at a federal level, things are done properly so that State Governors can function properly and indirectly assist the Local governments too.
With a good ministerial cabinet, less politicking, and less Patience with criminals, GEJ can make noticeable changes in four years.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Nobody: 3:36pm On May 27, 2011
If GEJ truly respects his Igbo brothers and is truly a man of his words, he'll let the Igbos rule in 2015.

But then, zoning mus die. It's whoever the country votes for. I doubt the N and the SW will be voting for a SE'rn president, the SS would want GEJ to continue, while 60% of GEJ's 2011 votes will shift to other candidates.

Truthfully, 2015 is between the SW, N, and SS.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Kilode1: 3:37pm On May 27, 2011
I believe because if you are a new person and you are elected as a governor today, it will take one to one and half years for you to really stabilize.

See the Fresh air? grin

This man has been in office for over a year already but he wants another one and a half years  to "stabilize" what does that even mean? "stabilize" LMAO,

Na GEJ go first be president for this world?  grin

In serious countries, the first 1 year or less is the "honeymoon period" for serious politicians, that's when they aggressively push a lot of their vision and initiatives by riding on the wave of popular support to get them passed and delivered, but

GEJ wan use his own to "stabilize" grin

And you also know that some members of your cabinet are not good and that is why in most cases, after one year or two Mr. president reshuffles the cabinet and by the time you want to go for another two and half years

It will take more than two years for you to understand the policy, vis-à-vis the national interest, some politicians will come to you with soft tongue

I hope my South South people are noticing the fact that GEJ is yet to mention True Federalism or speak about Fiscal federalism, resource control and restructuring. I still dey wait.

Edited.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by DaDoctor: 3:40pm On May 27, 2011
your words

Basically, he's there to ensure that at a federal level, things are done properly so that State Governors can function properly and indirectly assist the Local governments too.

@MUSKEETO
why shoot yourself on the toe.
from your above conclusive quote you have helped me answer yourself.
ITS YOU WHO HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF GOVT. AND I CHALLENGE TO MAKE OPEN ANY POLITICAL POST YOU HAVE HELD , BECAUSE AS AT NOW I AM STILL IN THE GOVERNMENT AND KNOW WHAT IT ENTAIL

You think its everybody you see on NL that is your mate in Govt?

You just annonyed me. TAKE TIME O!

TO PRESIDE OVER A COUNTRY IS A BIG ISSUE, ITS NOT AS EASY AS THE STATE MY DEAR!
YOU ARE EVEN DOING COPY AND PASTE AND RESEARCHING WHAT I HAVE IN MY BRAINS, ABEG JARE!
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by fxtopedia(m): 3:41pm On May 27, 2011
musKeeto:

Your post shows you have little understanding of how government works in Nigeria.
There is a local government, state government and federal government. The powers of these different tiers are clearly stated in the constitution. The fact that GEJ is President doesn't necessarily mean He is managing the 36 states.
These are his basic duties <stolen from wikipedia>
   assenting to and signing Bills
   referring a Bill back to the National Assembly for reconsideration of the Bill's constitutionality
   referring a Bill to the Constitutional Court for a decision on the Bill's constitutionality
   summoning the National Assembly, or Parliament to an extraordinary sitting to conduct special business
   making any appointments that the Constitution or legislation requires the President to make, other than as head of the national executive
   appointing commissions of inquiry
   calling a national referendum in terms of an Act of Parliament
   receiving and recognising foreign diplomatic and consular representatives
   appointing ambassadors, plenipotentiaries, and diplomatic and consular representatives
   pardoning or reprieving offenders and remitting any fines, penalties or forfeitures
   conferring honours

With a good ministerial cabinet, less politicking, and less Patience with criminals, GEJ can make noticeable changes in four years.

Nice post! But if I were you, I would ignore his post, cos it makes no ###
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by ziccoit: 3:45pm On May 27, 2011
GEJ is a square peg in a round hole, just like his predecessors. First year of his single term is enough to make a tremendous change in our national life. By this report, GEJ doesn't know where to start. A man of his kind can never bring the more needed development. He is more of a believer in statuo quo than developmental revolution. Forget a forward-matching Nigeria with GEJ. He doesn't have the substance.

The leader we need now is the one who will be ready to step on toes and up root all the statuo quo by nurturing to maturity a strong corruption free and developmental oriented system. GEJ just can't do that, he just can't face that, he just doesn't have what it takes to be a leader.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by DaDoctor: 3:46pm On May 27, 2011
Fellows whirlin in whantom ignorance.
NA WA FOR UNA O!

ITS ON RECORD THAT THE STATE GOV DOES MORE WORK THAN A PRESIDENT AS QUOTED BY MUSKEETO AND CONCURRED TO BY FXTPODEIA

Please dearies i agree , i dont like arguing what is clear to the commoner

you guys just show you are novinces in the act of politics and governance

that ends it!!!!!
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by fxtopedia(m): 3:47pm On May 27, 2011
Da Doctor:

your words

@MUSKEETO
ITS YOU WHO HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF GOVT. AND I CHALLENGE TO MAKE OPEN ANY POLITICAL POST YOU HAVE HELD , BECAUSE AS AT NOW I AM STILL IN THE GOVERNMENT AND KNOW WHAT IT ENTAIL

YOU ARE EVEN DOING COPY AND PASTE AND RESEARCHING WHAT I HAVE IN MY BRAINS, ABEG JARE!

I just LMAO after perusal of this!
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Bensonite: 3:48pm On May 27, 2011
If GEJ is really saying this then I may be regretting my support. If NL was real pro-GEJ and anti-GEJ would have fought during the pre-election times. I feel ashamed as one of his strong proponents as a bad worksman quarrels with his tools. You have started a race and giving excuse will not be accepted.  Someone listed all the campaign promises from state to state and his enough to get him hit the ground and commence work starting May 29 for only one tenure (4 YEARS) as promised.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 27, 2011
Da Doctor:

your words

@MUSKEETO

The relevant people in Nigeria have no political posts. What they do have is leadership posts. Amaechi, Fashold and Sullivan and co,

Political post, what you win at the elections
Leadership post, what you do in office

You claim to be a part of government? Not surprising, considering your intimidating reply to my post, the usual Nigerian response of 'Who am I' when your fellow counterparts are etching their names in gold.

One warning to you, because if I annoyed you, I'm going to annoy you more. As time permits me, I promise to follow all your posts on the politics thread. I'm going to be on your back and show you why I'm called MUSKEETO,  grin

Don't blame me for my 'copy and paste'. People like you in government would rather the electorate wallow in ignorance and feed them peanuts, while you improve your contract inflation skills.

CANDLES ARE LIGHTING AROUND THE NATION, YOUR ILK WILL SOON BE BURNT,
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Xfactoria: 3:51pm On May 27, 2011
But this is not the first time Jonathan has said he does not believe in a 4-year tenure for the President and Vice President.

He mentioned it in one of the first sets of interviews he granted when he was sworn in as President after Yar'adua's death. He actually said he would prefer a 5 or 6years single tenor for the President. He impressed me particularly when he analyzed the issue thus:

The President spends the first year of his 4 year tenor satisfying political associates who helped him win election and only gets down to serious business late in the first year and then up to the 3rd year. By the time the fourth year comes, he is busy preparing for re-election which is a big distraction. A lot of the decisions he would take at that time would incorporate his desires to win re-election. So, in effect, the President only has about 2.5 - 3yrs to work!

I kind of share his view but 6yrs is too much and I think 5yrs single term is ideal.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by OmoTier1(m): 3:52pm On May 27, 2011
A man who is struggling to form a cabinet is talking about tenure elongation. Hearing the names been banged about as possible ministers, you would know that GEJ needs more than 'fresh air' to make any meaningful impact!

Someone should tell GEJ to please shut it in for the next 1.5years, do serious work and let the press do the talking for him like they are doing for Fashola!
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by matty1024: 3:55pm On May 27, 2011
[quote][/quote]It is true what GEJ Is saying - 4 years is not enough to enjoy FRESH AIR. since you have been enjoying FRESH AIR poverty for 50 years - why are the Nigerian masses now complaining of a little 4 years.

I am highly disappointed in you! How can a reasonable man believe that 4 good years is not enough to perform? GEJ is not a leader, has never being a leader and will never be a leader. He is like his God father OBJ.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by chines4(m): 3:55pm On May 27, 2011
Jona, Jona, Is it not too early to start asking for extension. Let see what you can achieve in four years first.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by anishe(m): 3:57pm On May 27, 2011
If you know where you are going and you have your plans, 4 years is too long a time to achieve and deliver the dividends of democracy but where you have no clu as to where you are going or the means to reach your destination, then, 3 or 4 terms of 4 years each may not be enough.
God opens and leads the way for a man who knows where he is going. SIMPLE
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Ibime(m): 3:58pm On May 27, 2011
I think I have said enough about GEJ over the last year so right now Ima siddon look and let whatever happens happen.

Maybe he is putting his horrible performance in 1.5 years as Bayelsa Governor down to the need to "stabilise".

Buhari performed wonders in 2.5 years as PTF chairman; Amaechi and Fashola the same in their respective states in the same time period.

Of course, someone over-engaged in the machiavellian politics of settlement would have no time for governance.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by ayusman16(m): 4:00pm On May 27, 2011
He should spend his 4yrs and get out else d same way we voted him in; we shall kick his Niger Delta butt out
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by ziccoit: 4:08pm On May 27, 2011
X-factoria:

The President spends the first year of his 4 year tenor satisfying political associates who helped him win election and only gets down to serious business late in the first year
and then up to the 3rd year. By the time the fourth year comes, he is busy preparing for re-election which is a big distraction. A lot of the decisions he would take at that time would incorporate his desires to win re-election. So, in effect, the President only has about 2.5 - 3yrs to work!

I kind of share his view but 6yrs is too much and I think 5yrs single term is ideal.

That is where the problems lie. That is the reason why he could not be expected to deliver. He only wants to maintain the statu quo. A leader who will use his first year in office to water the seedling of politicians does not qualify to be in that position at first instance. Is that how the developed worlds make the progress.

Well, I am not surprised. Electing GEJ as president doesn't change anything. Nigerians will identify their true leader when they see him. GEJ is the PDP president. A PDPcracy:- a government of the PDP by the PDP and for the PDP.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Kobojunkie: 4:10pm On May 27, 2011
And this is NIgeria's Obama?? grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by Amhatu(m): 4:11pm On May 27, 2011
For countries developing like Nigeria could make it two 5 year terms.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by duno: 4:12pm On May 27, 2011
X-factoria:

But this is not the first time Jonathan has said he does not believe in a 4-year tenure for the President and Vice President.

He mentioned it in one of the first sets of interviews he granted when he was sworn in as President after Yar'adua's death. He actually said he would prefer a 5 or 6years single tenor for the President. He impressed me particularly when he analyzed the issue thus:

The President spends the first year of his 4 year tenor satisfying political associates who helped him win election and only gets down to serious business late in the first year and then up to the 3rd year. By the time the fourth year comes, he is busy preparing for re-election which is a big distraction. A lot of the decisions he would take at that time would incorporate his desires to win re-election. So, in effect, the President only has about 2.5 - 3yrs to work!

1. If he has to use the first year in settling political associates then he is really no FRESH AIR! Just same of the same.

2. IMO the past one year plus should have been his stabilizing period (according to him). By now he should have a plan of what he wants to achieve and should hit the ground running as soon as he is sworn in.
Re: Four-year Term Short, Says Jonathan by adconline(m): 4:13pm On May 27, 2011
It seems,  he's offering failure reasons in advance. If I fail, blame it on short 4 years I had in office.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Okonjo-iweala, Saharareporters In War Of Words Over Nigerian Economy / Ebonyi Women Beg Buhari For Ministerial Slots Ahead Of Cabinet Reshuffle / Supreme Court Upholds Inec's Deregistration Of 22 Political Parties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.