Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,595 members, 7,801,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This (3440 Views)

Pls How True Is This About Welcoming Back A Lost SIM? / High Cost Of Data, How Do You Guys Cope? / Should I Go For Xioami Redmi 4x Or Tecno Phantom 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by OlofofoAdugbo1: 9:47pm On Sep 23, 2021
Hi Nairalanders ,

I thought this brand would be different but it seems they are way worst than I thought.

Xiaomi is a high-end budget smartphone producer with popular phone brands to its credit. However, there have been controversies of data theft and accusations of Xiaomi spying on users’ activities.

Cybersecurity researchers Garbi Cirlig and Andrew Tierney have reported several data breaches associated with the Redmi Note 8 and the Mi Browser with the browser collecting users’ data while browsing in Incognito mode.

Although Xiaomi denied allegations of it collecting users data and spying on their browsing activities, it mentioned that data are collected with users’ consent, and such data are collected as anonymous data and used for internal analysis, and no Personally Identifiable Information is linked to collected data.

If you’re a Xiaomi phone user, here are ways you can protect your data and privacy on Xiaomi and Mi browsers.

Data collection is turned on by default for most default apps on the Xiaomi smartphone brand. Hence, to prevent Xiaomi from collecting your data, you have to turn off default data collection for each of the pre-installed apps on your Xiaomi smartphone. That way, you can prevent Xiaomi spying activities.

How To Stop Mi Browser From Collecting Data Even In Incognito Mode

1. Launch the Xiaomi Mi Browser app on your phone
2. Tap on the hamburger menu icon at the top-right of your screen
3. Tap on the ‘Settings’ icon in the menu options
4. Search for ‘Advanced’ in the ‘Settings’ menu

In the Advanced’ menu, tap on ‘Privacy & Security.’

Toggle off the ‘Personalized services’ button to prevent Mi browser from collecting and sending your data to Xiaomi’s server.
If you do not trust the Mi browser not to collect your data remotely, you can disable Mi Browser in the app settings.

How To Disable Xiaomi’s MIUI From Collecting Your Data
Xiaomi’s MIUI (Mi User Interface) collects your data to serve you with personalized ads. You can prevent MIUI from collecting your data by revoking MIUI’s data collection privileges by taking the following steps.

1. Launch the Settings app on your Xiaomi phone
2. Scroll through and tap on ‘Additional Settings’
3. In the ‘Additional Settings’ page, tap on ‘Authorization & revocation
4. Toggle off the MSA (MIUI System Ads) button.
5. Follow the prompt and wait for 10 seconds, after which you can now tap on ‘Revoke.’
6. If you get a ‘Couldn’t Revoke Authorization’ message, make sure your data is turned on and retry again.

To disable ad services and data usage collection,

1. Go back to step iii, in the ‘Additional Settings’ page, tap on ‘Privacy.’
2. In the ‘Privacy menu,’ toggle off the ‘User Experience Program’ and ‘Send diagnostic data automatically’ to prevent Xiaomi from sending your data remotely to its server.
3. Also, tap on the ‘Ad Services’ in the ‘Additional Settings’ and ‘Disable’ ‘Personalized Ad Recommendations’ to prevent Xiaomi from collecting your data to serve you with ads.

How To Disable Mi Security From Sending Data Usage Report

1. Launch the Mi Security app on your phone
2. Tap the Mi Security ‘Settings’ app (a gear-shaped icon at the top-right of your screen
3. In the Security Settings menu, disable ‘Receive Recommendations’
4. Head back to the main Security Settings menu and tap on ‘Data Usage.’
5. Toggle off the ‘Report data usage info button.’

To improve your privacy and data security, you should disable or turn off data collections and recommendations for the following apps.

1.Cleaner
2.File manager
3.Lockscreen Ads
4.Mi downloads
5.Music and Video players
6.Home screen ads in MIUI
7.Disable spammy notifications from apps by long-pressing and toggling off the app notification.

for more info check here https://secureblitz.com/how-to-prevent-xiaomi-spying/
https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/xiaomi-phones-steal-user-data-and-send-it-to-remote-servers-in-china-warns-indian-air-force-3657297.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Aboks(m): 9:56pm On Sep 23, 2021
Ok Nice
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by AREWAELENU: 10:06pm On Sep 23, 2021
That's odd, nice info

MI don dey tire me sef
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by devbojj: 5:01am On Sep 24, 2021
This has turn me off with this brand...

OlofofoAdugbo1:
Hi Nairalanders ,

I thought this brand would be different but it seems they are way worst than I thought.

Xiaomi is a high-end budget smartphone producer with popular phone brands to its credit. However, there have been controversies of data theft and accusations of Xiaomi spying on users’ activities.

Cybersecurity researchers Garbi Cirlig and Andrew Tierney have reported several data breaches associated with the Redmi Note 8 and the Mi Browser with the browser collecting users’ data while browsing in Incognito mode.

Although Xiaomi denied allegations of it collecting users data and spying on their browsing activities, it mentioned that data are collected with users’ consent, and such data are collected as anonymous data and used for internal analysis, and no Personally Identifiable Information is linked to collected data.

If you’re a Xiaomi phone user, here are ways you can protect your data and privacy on Xiaomi and Mi browsers.

Data collection is turned on by default for most default apps on the Xiaomi smartphone brand. Hence, to prevent Xiaomi from collecting your data, you have to turn off default data collection for each of the pre-installed apps on your Xiaomi smartphone. That way, you can prevent Xiaomi spying activities.

Toggle off the ‘Personalized services’ button to prevent Mi browser from collecting and sending your data to Xiaomi’s server.
If you do not trust the Mi browser not to collect your data remotely, you can disable Mi Browser in the app settings.

Xiaomi’s MIUI (Mi User Interface) collects your data to serve you with personalized ads. You can prevent MIUI from collecting your data by revoking MIUI’s data collection privileges by taking the following steps.

5. Follow the prompt and wait for 10 seconds, after which you can now tap on ‘Revoke.’
6. If you get a ‘Couldn’t Revoke Authorization’ message, make sure your data is turned on and retry again.

2. In the ‘Privacy menu,’ toggle off the ‘User Experience Program’ and ‘Send diagnostic data automatically’ to prevent Xiaomi from sending your data remotely to its server.
3. Also, tap on the ‘Ad Services’ in the ‘Additional Settings’ and ‘Disable’ ‘Personalized Ad Recommendations’ to prevent Xiaomi from collecting your data to serve you with ads.

2. Tap the Mi Security ‘Settings’ app (a gear-shaped icon at the top-right of your screen

To improve your privacy and data security, you should disable or turn off data collections and recommendations for the following apps.

1.Cleaner
2.File manager
3.Lockscreen Ads
4.Mi downloads
7.Disable spammy notifications from apps by long-pressing and toggling off the app notification.

https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/xiaomi-phones-steal-user-data-and-send-it-to-remote-servers-in-china-warns-indian-air-force-3657297.html
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by seunfly: 5:56am On Sep 24, 2021
Almost all phone does that, what do u think happened when u googled lace shoe and best palm wine and suddenly ur screen is d filled with advert of shoes and palm wine and isiewu.

6 Likes

Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Simeony007(m): 12:04pm On Sep 24, 2021
Lol Every android phone spys

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Cheezzyy: 12:51pm On Sep 24, 2021
AREWAELENU:
That's odd, nice info

MI don dey tire me sef
las las e don dey tire everybody
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by FlipModeSquade(m): 7:49pm On Sep 24, 2021
devbojj:

Coming from a Tecno Marketeer..

That is actually an endorsement.. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by FlipModeSquade(m): 7:51pm On Sep 24, 2021
Cheezzyy:

devbojj:

See them..

TECNO Marketeers..

Crawling out of the woodwork.. grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Meister(m): 8:40pm On Sep 24, 2021
seunfly:
Almost all phone does that, what do u think happened when u googled lace shoe and best palm wine and suddenly ur screen is d filled with advert of shoes and palm wine and isiewu.

I don't know why people don't understand this Shaa even though it states them in the face. I remember my brother once had a WhatsApp chat about one company like that and the next time he entered Facebook he saw the AD of that particular company

4 Likes

Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by paltielx: 10:18pm On Sep 24, 2021
Stop buying xioami, realme and Huawei phones. They have bad links with the Chinese government
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by thepoweruser(m): 5:35am On Sep 25, 2021
My guy wey go talk for phone say him sabi do hmmm work because of Sapa minutes afta he on data him just dey see hookup alat everywhere. grin

@OP you tink say na only 'Naomi' (grin) dey do am?

Guy every one on the web is spying on you, collecting your data so they can sell it to third parties, including advertisers. Make I list them? cheesy

1) Grand Commander of the Federal Republic of Spying, Google. My guy, if you see even the tiniest amount of data the big G collects from your Android; you go wan piss for body. cheesy

2) Chief Priest of Amebo and Pokenosing, Facebook. Oga, fear that wily Jew* Zuckerberg oh. The guy wey dey cover him laptop webcam and microphone; you know wetin he dey see?

3) Senior Prefects of Giraffing ( grin) Amazon, Microsoft, Snapchat, Twitter, Netflix, etc. (Mr Man, that guy Bezos wey get kpari ogo like egg; grin grin grin hmmm, fear am oh. Bill Gate abi Bill Door sef, fear am too join.)

4) Chief Daddy of Peeping, your phone vendor/manufacturer.

5) Ogologo Ambassador of Amebo, your network provider (MTN, Glo, etc.)

And millions, no; literally millions of others. Dude, even your ANTIVIRUS dey spy on you.

You wan stop am? How? SIMPLE.

GO DEY USE NOKIA TONONSOBE. grin grin grin

Modified: On a more serious note; to see what these companies collect about you is terrifying.

For Google, go to your account settings > data and personalization > search history and be awed. (TRUST ME: THAT WHICH YOU SEE THERE ISN'T EVEN EVERYTHING THEY KNOW.)

For all others;

Use NoScript plugin for Firefox (verified by my favourite snitch, Snowden wink )

Rudolf Abel, Ethel and Julius Rosenberg, Aldrich Ames, Oleg Penkovskiy, Kim Philby, Mata Hari and Johannes Eppler dem be learner for the level whey dis people dey. grin

* Pardon the stereotyping, I'm not anti-Semitic. I just hate hypocrisy. angry

2 Likes

Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Jacku: 6:41am On Sep 25, 2021
Hmmmm... This is very bad and silly of them
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Jacku: 6:41am On Sep 25, 2021
paltielx:
Stop buying xioami, realme and Huawei phones. They have bad links with the Chinese government
people no go hear na. They want 'value for money'
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Fonjewel0(f): 8:13pm On Sep 26, 2021
Welcome to the club!

This is disheartening!

Mitcheew! undecided

devbojj:

Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Kakadancefreak(f): 8:17pm On Sep 26, 2021
It's appalling!

Some brands are not worth the time.

cry

Jacku:
Hmmmm... This is very bad and silly of them
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Wanni25(f): 8:20pm On Sep 26, 2021
This is timely! Was gonna recommend a device for some friend.

No need settling for less!
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Mhaey01(m): 8:20pm On Sep 26, 2021
FlipModeSquade:

See them..

TECNO Marketeers..

Crawling out of the woodwork.. grin
Na Bed Bug

1 Like

Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Idarachris84: 8:25pm On Sep 26, 2021
Thanks for the information.

Well noted!
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by AREWAELENU: 10:23pm On Sep 26, 2021
Dis kind tin no suppose dey happen
Cheezzyy:
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Jacku: 12:11pm On Sep 28, 2021
Kakadancefreak:
It's appalling!

cry

I am telling you o
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Shuregirl: 5:15pm On Sep 28, 2021
Wanni25:

na eye opener
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Cheezzyy: 5:09pm On Sep 30, 2021
AREWAELENU:
Dis kind tin no suppose dey happen
no be lie
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by Corroro: 8:39pm On Sep 30, 2021
If this is true then it's really bad, e no make sense at all. I believe other brands like TECNO wouldn't be doing such
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by AmadorSays: 11:26pm On Sep 30, 2021
Na wa o, what happened to customer privacy
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by DlawTECHY(m): 12:07am On Oct 01, 2021
Source link not loading. FAKE NEWS

OlofofoAdugbo1:
Hi Nairalanders ,

1.Cleaner
2.File manager
3.Lockscreen Ads
4.Mi downloads

Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by DlawTECHY(m): 12:07am On Oct 01, 2021
Corroro:
If this is true then it's really bad, e no make sense at all. I believe other brands like TECNO wouldn't be doing such

They are number 1
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by DlawTECHY(m): 12:10am On Oct 01, 2021
Wanni25:

Don't lie bro.. You are a Tecno Marketer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by skywalker240(m): 7:21am On Oct 01, 2021
DlawTECHY:

Don't lie bro.. You are a Tecno Marketer
He is a devoted one at that

1 Like

Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by skywalker240(m): 7:25am On Oct 01, 2021
You just had to spoil it all by mentioning that stupid Chinese brand called Tecno

You no see Samsung, Nokia, or Apple na the worst of the pack na did marketer de use compare undecided

Go and market your rubbish with sense
Corroro:
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by skywalker240(m): 7:26am On Oct 01, 2021
Shuregirl:
na eye opener
You're a Tecno marketer too
Re: Xioami Spys On Their Customer's Data, How True Is This by skywalker240(m): 7:29am On Oct 01, 2021
Kakadancefreak:
It's appalling!

cry

Another Tecno marketer

Hmmmmm, this is the new trend with Tecno marketers

Creating thread to discredit Xiaomi

We know all your tatics

(1) (2) (Reply)

Infinix Hot 4 Lite For Sale / I'm Really Enjoying My Samsung Galaxy S10+ / Why You Should Not Buy The Innjoo Big Battery Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.