Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,716 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen (596 Views)

New Naira Notes: Who Is Suffering Now - The Politicians Or The Masses? / Lagos:Heavy Clash Between Hausa Okada Riders And Policemen Ongoing At Ojo- Video / Makinde To Tinubu: APC Will Not Rule Nigeria Beyond 2023 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen by CuteEmma(f): 6:05pm On Sep 24, 2021
Good evening Nairalanders,

I haven’t created a post in like 6 years now, or even more than; feels good to write something this evening.

So I was going through a particular thread, and I saw this comment:

BarrElChapo:
No Nigerian police personnel who dies on the job will make heaven walahi.

I actually wanted to just reply but then I realized that it’s not just that person, but almost everyone in Nigeria apart from the NPF guys feel this way, so I decided to say something I think about this.

Why would someone say something like that? Is it because they directly extort with the use coercion and blackmail??
When in reality, almost all Nigerians do it... from public sectors or private... almost everywhere.

In public schools, You can’t challenge your lecturers when they vigorously command you to buy their materials, and most public offices will tell you that they close at 2pm and they will want to make you pay some funny charges; if you don’t pay they will become very rude and strict and lackadaisical.

Banks also do their own, since you can’t (won’t) sue them, they basically behave anyhow they want.

Hospitals won’t attend to you either because of payment deposits or because they just don’t care. They intentionally delay treatments for it to worsen so that they can charge for expensive drugs, surgeries and scans.

Private schools are slave masters; they give peanut to the teachers and at the same time fill up the breakdown of their tuition fees with ridiculous things.

What about religious places? these folks cherrypick what they will do and what they will not do; when it affects them they become blind towards those things, and when it affects their neighbors, their principles will return back - they won’t cheat or lie for you due to religion but it’s perfectly normal for themselves.

The market people are not exempted, they just increase prices as they deem fit and they are always quick to blame it on politicians. When they meet yahoo guys or even people who just look good (guys especially), the price of their products will automatically increase, and then it will remain that way. Honesty doesn’t mean anything to these ones.

The transport people are the nicest, they only increase their fares once in a while even though the amount of levy they pay increases on a daily. But they are always angry, they will rain curses on you at any slight provocation.

Yeah, and those agbero people, they are the worst, They don’t give a hoot about anything that bothers you, as long as you’re on the road, give them “their” money.

In every sector,, almost every person in Nigeria is frustrated and will look for someone else to frustrate too.

But then we are quick to say that “the Police is Not Your Friend”, but sadly the statement should be “a Nigerian is not your friend”. Because, currently, even though the police force has some scosco, even politicians too, every other Nigerian won’t behave in any way different from them.

The name-checkers in here would make you feel like it’s just cruise, but sadly it’s not. They will do worse than the leaders if they get the chance.

I once followed a discussion on Animal Farm by George Orwells, and someone made a comment about the introduction of the book or asked a question rather, that “Assuming they were all humans as their names suggested, Did they now become animals because of the way their master treated them, or did their master treat them that way because they were already animals?”. We all know how they started exhibiting their animalistic behaviors when they took charge.

Relating the question to the Nigeria situation, either way you would choose to answer the question, you’d see that the problem right now is not the police officers or politicians, it’s every Nigerian, in our little capacity we make life difficult for others, then the politicians and police officers, in their large capacity, do the same. No one is better than the other and that is exactly what we need to change. Not the politicians, not the masters, not the police force, but our behavior.

About how that is going to be possible, I don’t know. But it is a good step to understand that we all contribute to the problem, and that we are going to be the ones to fix it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen by Shegzy8(m): 6:29pm On Sep 24, 2021
God bless you. I've being trying my best to enlighten many Nigerians I've met and let them see thing for what it is.

It is very glaring the average Nigerian or African only cares about his/her self. Most people grumbling about corruption are only against it cause it isn't perpetuated by them or is not in there favor. That's why you see them change tune and also fiercely defend the atrocities they rebuffed before. The average Nigerian will do worse with power, i am beginning to think we can't handle power, we only use it to oppress.

Another thing is we worship money, no matter where or how it was made. so everyone does whatever it takes to get it. You cant raise questions on someone's wealth without being mobbed and told to go hustle or do whatever it takes.

Corruption has eaten so deep into the system. All sector is ridden, corruption is seen as a norm and part of our day to day lives. Everyone is a culprit. so why do we expect a corrupt nation with a corrupt system to produce upright and virtueous leaders?

our leaders are a product of our society.

There are no check and balance

we are lawless.

if leadership is our major problem, why do most Nigerian travel out of its shores to perpetrate crimes of all forms? scam, drugs, robbery. etc

The problem isnt Nigeria, the problem is Nigerians.

Have you followed the politics in our tertiarry institutions? No difference with that of our old, vague politicians. Age shouldnt even be a requirement selecting a leader[ excluding healthcxhallenges].

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen by SmithRussell(m): 1:43pm On Oct 02, 2021
Didn’t want to quote the whole thing. I agree with you. Truth is that we’re not ready to see that we are the problem, we don’t want to believe that.

We need to start evaluating ourselves mentally. That’s the only way.

3 Likes

Re: The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen by SmithRussell(m): 1:57pm On Oct 02, 2021
Shegzy8:

Corruption has eaten so deep into the system. All sector is ridden, corruption is seen as a norm and part of our day to day lives. Everyone is a culprit. so why do we expect a corrupt nation with a corrupt system to produce upright and virtueous leaders?

our leaders are a product of our society.

There are no check and balance

we are lawless.

if leadership is our major problem, why do most Nigerian travel out of its shores to perpetrate crimes of all forms? scam, drugs, robbery. etc

The problem isnt Nigeria, the problem is Nigerians.

Have you followed the politics in our tertiarry institutions? No difference with that of our old, vague politicians. Age shouldnt even be a requirement selecting a leader[ excluding healthcxhallenges].

No truer words. Thanks chief.

The only bad thing is that only few people think like this. Just imagine, more than a week, just one comment.

1 Like

Re: The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen by yemex04(m): 2:10pm On Oct 02, 2021
Nothing can be truer than this.God bless you.Only the realization of this will be the first step in the process of the positive transformation of this Country.

1 Like

Re: The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen by Nobody: 2:38pm On Oct 02, 2021
I like the writing but I disagree...

When a dog behaves badly we blame it's owner, when a child behaves badly we blame the parents and when a student behaves badly you blame the teacher

We see Abba kyari working with Hushpuppi and we wonder why people respect Yahoo boys

If a country is corrupt the fault always lies with the leaders, whether religious leaders, political leaders or educational leaders corruption always comes from the top-down, the society is the product of the leaders.
Re: The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen by immortal2: 3:40pm On Oct 02, 2021
When a country goes to yoke themselves with the Supremacists Arabs they will have problem. The North swims in the Supremacists idea that the South is their slave handed over to them by Britain.
Re: The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen by Shegzy8(m): 5:18pm On Oct 02, 2021
SmithRussell:

The only bad thing is that only few people think like this. Just imagine, more than a week, just one comment.

Nigerians dont love such convo, it pricks their conscience and they keep living in denial.

1 Like

Re: The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen by Babalegba(m): 6:46pm On Oct 02, 2021
Best thread I've seen in nairaland lately but unfortunately the average Nigerian will be too daft to understand

1 Like

Re: The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen by CuteEmma(f): 5:19am On Oct 03, 2021
SmithRussell:

Well, I didn’t expect a lot of comments; just for people to realize and evaluate themselves.

And I wouldn’t blame the mods either, they believe in traffic.

1 Like

Re: The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen by optionalY09: 5:43am On Oct 03, 2021
We will solve the politician problem first
Re: The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen by SmithRussell(m): 9:50am On Oct 03, 2021
CuteEmma:

Well, I didn’t expect a lot of comments; just for people to realize and evaluate themselves.

And I wouldn’t blame the mods either, they believe in traffic.
Nairaland don spoil abeg, it wouldn’t be a problem at all to at least push one or two sensible threads to FP every day, if they care about Nigeria

1 Like

Re: The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 9:53am On Oct 03, 2021
CuteEmma:
Good evening Nairalanders,

I haven’t created a post in like 6 years now, or even more than; feels good to write something this evening.

So I was going through a particular thread, and I saw this comment:

I actually wanted to just reply but then I realized that it’s not just that person, but almost everyone in Nigeria apart from the NPF guys feel this way, so I decided to say something I think about this.

Why would someone say something like that? Is it because they directly extort with the use coercion and blackmail??
When in reality, almost all Nigerians do it... from public sectors or private... almost everywhere.

In public schools, You can’t challenge your lecturers when they vigorously command you to buy their materials, and most public offices will tell you that they close at 2pm and they will want to make you pay some funny charges; if you don’t pay they will become very rude and strict and lackadaisical.

Banks also do their own, since you can’t (won’t) sue them, they basically behave anyhow they want.

Hospitals won’t attend to you either because of payment deposits or because they just don’t care. They intentionally delay treatments for it to worsen so that they can charge for expensive drugs, surgeries and scans.

Private schools are slave masters; they give peanut to the teachers and at the same time fill up the breakdown of their tuition fees with ridiculous things.

What about religious places? these folks cherrypick what they will do and what they will not do; when it affects them they become blind towards those things, and when it affects their neighbors, their principles will return back - they won’t cheat or lie for you due to religion but it’s perfectly normal for themselves.

The market people are not exempted, they just increase prices as they deem fit and they are always quick to blame it on politicians. When they meet yahoo guys or even people who just look good (guys especially), the price of their products will automatically increase, and then it will remain that way. Honesty doesn’t mean anything to these ones.

The transport people are the nicest, they only increase their fares once in a while even though the amount of levy they pay increases on a daily. But they are always angry, they will rain curses on you at any slight provocation.

Yeah, and those agbero people, they are the worst, They don’t give a hoot about anything that bothers you, as long as you’re on the road, give them “their” money.

In every sector,, almost every person in Nigeria is frustrated and will look for someone else to frustrate too.

But then we are quick to say that “the Police is Not Your Friend”, but sadly the statement should be “a Nigerian is not your friend”. Because, currently, even though the police force has some scosco, even politicians too, every other Nigerian won’t behave in any way different from them.

The name-checkers in here would make you feel like it’s just cruise, but sadly it’s not. They will do worse than the leaders if they get the chance.

I once followed a discussion on Animal Farm by George Orwells, and someone made a comment about the introduction of the book or asked a question rather, that “Assuming they were all humans as their names suggested, Did they now become animals because of the way their master treated them, or did their master treat them that way because they were already animals?”. We all know how they started exhibiting their animalistic behaviors when they took charge.

Relating the question to the Nigeria situation, either way you would choose to answer the question, you’d see that the problem right now is not the police officers or politicians, it’s every Nigerian, in our little capacity we make life difficult for others, then the politicians and police officers, in their large capacity, do the same. No one is better than the other and that is exactly what we need to change. Not the politicians, not the masters, not the police force, but our behavior.

About how that is going to be possible, I don’t know. But it is a good step to understand that we all contribute to the problem, and that we are going to be the ones to fix it.

I have said this from day one this problem is the Citizens. Go to Europe or North America say you are a Nigerian and see who gives you a job you'll be surprised that Somalian South Sudan will be employed before you. A problem in Nigeria has nothing to do with the government voting behaviour of the Citizens are behaviour is so terrible that our own citizens would be fair to invest in other countries. Go abroad and see the Nigerian businesses they do not even employ 1 Nigerian.
Re: The Problem Of Nigeria: Beyond The Politicians And Policemen by SmithRussell(m): 9:55am On Oct 03, 2021
optionalY09:
We will solve the politician problem first
Replacing the politicians will not do anything, we all are fantastically corrupt.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: IPOB WANT TO TURN IGBOS TO ALMAJIRI - DESTROY POOR MAN'S GOODS IN ENUGU / Judical Reform: How Clear Execution Backlog And Decongest Prisons / Let's Shift Power To Region That Has Not Produced President Since 1999: El-rufai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.