Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,519 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:45 PM

Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria (16963 Views)

Alterations And Remodeling Architect In Nigeria / Architect In Isolo Lagos / Architect In Okota Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by AsomArchitectNG(m): 8:05am On Sep 25, 2021
If you intend to carry out a building project, you need to hire an architect at some point. This is pertinent so you can achieve your goal. Architects are building professionals saddled with the responsibilities of planning, designing, and overseeing the construction of buildings.

If you hire one, you are ensuring you get the best out of your project. They carry a wealth of experience relating to their craft which, in most cases, clients know nothing about. You don’t want to be caught in a situation where you have spent a lot, yet the result seems insufficient.

You need to hire an architect to help you with all stages of the project. Before you hire an architect, there are a lot of factors you have to consider. Besides those factors, you as the client have a role to play to ensure the time spent during the communication is worthwhile.

Walk with me while I explain some of these factors and tips below.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by AsomArchitectNG(m): 8:10am On Sep 25, 2021
1.) He is an Expert

I know a lot of clients who have few design traits in them. That is a good thing as you will understand concepts faster. However, this trait does not put you in parity with your architect. To hire an architect, it takes a certain level of open-mindedness.

The assumption you are willing to learn from his/her experience ensures a smooth conversation. Don’t get me wrong though. Clients should know what they want. Architects just help you actualize it amidst a series of professional advice.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by AsomArchitectNG(m): 8:15am On Sep 25, 2021
2.) A Considerable Amount of Time is Involved

I get it that time waits for no man. Everyone is in a haste to get things done. Be advised that designs, construction and all its links TAKE TIME!

From the design process to approval to construction, it is a time-consuming process. I mean, it involves a considerable amount of time. If you intend to hit the ground running, then you need a head start. It is not advisable to be in a haste. Take your time, be sure everything is in order.

There are variations in every stage of the design. Some because of clients’ demands, others unforeseen. The bottom line is, they happen. Clients need to be patient. However, be rest assured that the well-planned time constraints result in excellent finished work.

6 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by AsomArchitectNG(m): 8:20am On Sep 25, 2021
3.) Choice of Design

Before you ring up that architect, make sure you have a choice of design/property ready in mind. Architects are consultants and can also help you make choices. However, as a client, you have the first say on what you want. Discuss with friends and family on what type of property to build before consulting an architect.

Honestly, it is not an architect that would decide for you if you want a residential property or a commercial property. Getting an estimate is a lot of work and is design-dependent, hence it should not be a factor in choosing a property.

However, an architect can tell you the feasibility of your project. No, you can’t have a 4 bedroom bungalow here because of space constraints, make it a 3 bedroom bungalow instead“. That is the consultation they can give you as regards this topic.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by AsomArchitectNG(m): 8:26am On Sep 25, 2021
4.) Previous Designs

I have had clients asking me to send designs of previous works (most times they specify the design they want). This may be the norm, but it is not proper. I know clients want to see how an architect thinks, which is clear in their designs. However, an architect by definition is someone who creates.

By this, I mean you should have the trust that he/she can provide whatever space plan you need. That said, seeing previous designs from architects may not help you achieve your goal. 99 times out a 100, you end up getting a new design with no input from the samples sent.

This is so because every design is unique to the client. I love spacious bedrooms, you may prefer something compact. This would not reflect in previous designs the architect may have done. Also, previous designs may not have all your requirements. Designs shouldn’t be shopped. Prepare a brief and send to your architect. That is the best way to go. 10 times out of 10, they will prepare a unique 3 bedroom bungalow design.

Some clients expect architects to have a sample design of all building types. This is a wrong notion. All architects prepare designs based on the clients’ brief. We do not prepare designs for fun, we prepare them on request.

7 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by AsomArchitectNG(m): 8:28am On Sep 25, 2021
5.) Estimates

Some clients ring up an architect and ask for estimates to erect a property. If you do not present drawings, there would be an error margin of about 30% more or less in the cost estimate. Such information will not be useful. Estimates for construction are design-dependent and cannot be determined without design drawings.

Do not ask an architect to give you estimates if you do not have design drawings. If you have design drawings, be prepared to pay for the estimates. These estimates are prepared by a quantity surveyor and are not for free, except during a turnkey project. In a turnkey project, consultation fees would have been paid.

7 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by AsomArchitectNG(m): 8:34am On Sep 25, 2021
6.) Design Costs

If you intend to hire an architect, it means you are ready to kick start your project. Having your design drawings is the first area of negotiation. There is no need for negotiating supervision fees, residency fees, etc when the design drawings have not been finalized. Some clients are quick to jump the gun. Your design drawings are your number one priority. Negotiate for that first before anything else.

After negotiation, only an advanced payment issued can kick-start the design. This is mandatory except otherwise agreed. I have had clients ask me to prepare drawings saying they would pay after it is completed. That is not how it works. This is a service niche, hence commitment ensures there is a contract between both parties.

These are some tips to know before hiring an architect. Hope you find them useful. Please use the comment box for questions on areas not cleared about

18 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Savageman: 10:17am On Sep 25, 2021
Issorite....
Blazzing my weed while reading through.

I movvveeeeee

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Jammy2012(m): 10:18am On Sep 25, 2021
grin My people will be like "Baba kini, I like this your house o. Shey I can get your design?"
Me as an architect: Baba Bricklayer, it is not supposed to be like that.
The Bricklayer: Woo, shey na you go teach me my work ni, I have been doing this before you were born grin grin grin

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Aufbauh(m): 10:18am On Sep 25, 2021
Do you know that NIA Code of Professional conduct and ethics does not allow a qualified Architect to advertise or promotes his/her services.

So most of those who come online to advertise or solicit prospective clients for service engagement are quack or half-baked.

The Architect shall not solicit nor permit to solicit in his name, advertisements or other support towards the cost of any publication presenting his work. He should refrain from taking part in paid advertisement endorsing any materials of construction or building equipment.

13 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 25, 2021
AsomArchitectNG:
4.) Previous Designs

I have had clients asking me to send designs of previous works (most times they specify the design they want). This may be the norm, but it is not proper. I know clients want to see how an architect thinks, which is clear in their designs. However, an architect by definition is someone who creates...

Some clients expect architects to have a sample design of all building types. This is a wrong notion. All architects prepare designs based on the clients’ brief. We do not prepare designs for fun, we prepare them on request.

Thanks for sharing

This right here is a helpful tip for ANY creative professional, not just architects.

Thanks again

2 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by tradepunter: 10:19am On Sep 25, 2021
Kk
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by BIGGIE121(m): 10:19am On Sep 25, 2021
Very apt
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by taiwofawole: 10:19am On Sep 25, 2021
Don’t forget to connect to the right roofing company as well ! It's one thing to get roofing sheets it another thing to get the right roofing sheet in terms of quality, that fits the type of building and does the work you need it to do

First of all what you’re looking for is the best and not imitation, you want stone coated roofing tiles that will give your home an edge among others around. It is very sad when you have spent a huge fortune on roofing your building and after 1 or 2 years you see it rusting or fading off. You will definitely not be happy after investing so much in roofing that building. This is why you must be very vigilant when making your choice as to which roofing sheet to go for that will give you good value for your money.

In the thread link below they have studied carefully most of the various types of roofing sheet out there and have come up with analysis on each of them from their prices, quality and most importantly durability. You can ask any question about roofing in this thread , the OP in charge of this thread is one of the most honest & reputable people we have on this forum @money121 , so be rest assured ! This man roofed the famous naijaloaded house

https://www.nairaland.com/3364135/roofing-sheets-cost-various-types

Below are few images of his work
(Imran ROOFING Is a registered company under the coperate affairs commission
www.Imranroofing.com.ng , you can also reach him
Via 08085310359

Thank me later

2 Likes

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by HackopensClose: 10:20am On Sep 25, 2021
Thanks Op

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by ATEAMS: 10:22am On Sep 25, 2021
U need barrzz
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by bigdammyj: 10:22am On Sep 25, 2021
Noted with many thanks

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by realtestament(m): 10:24am On Sep 25, 2021
E no concern me....

See wetin Concern me here

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Lugianostar(m): 10:24am On Sep 25, 2021
They are many who are very redundant as the experience will knock off your feets.

Though they are good ones
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by TolueneDc(m): 10:27am On Sep 25, 2021
.Some clients can be fustrating sometimes

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Francashy(m): 10:34am On Sep 25, 2021
Jammy2012:
grin My people will be like "Baba kini, I like this your house o. Shey I can get your design?"
Me as an architect: Baba Bricklayer, it is not supposed to be like that.
The Bricklayer: Woo, shey na you go teach me my work ni, I have been doing this before you were born grin grin grin

gringrin
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by Seniorwriter(m): 10:43am On Sep 25, 2021
Nice writeup....

In another news if you have access to internet + browsing gadgets and you ain't earning from your online activities then you are very unwise.
Reach out via the facebook Id on my profile to get a mentorship for a token in other to monetize your online engagements.

@SENIORWRITER
Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by hslbroker2(m): 10:45am On Sep 25, 2021
Lovely thread for builders and house owners.

For your hardwood for roofing and softwood for decking

check our signature

Re: Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria by josephft2000: 10:50am On Sep 25, 2021
The author of this piece is an Architect, and to the best of my knowledge he intentionally and totally sidelined other Professionals (Builders, Quantity Surveyors, Structural Engineers, Mechanical and Electrical Engineers etc) involved in the construction of Building Projects, and this is unfortunate and misleading. All the Professionals mentioned have their distinct functions. It is the responsibility of a Quantity Surveyor to prepare the estimate for a proposed building and not that of an Architect as the author made people to believe - very unfortunate.

16 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hot Sale In Gwagwalada,abuja (pics attached) / Cheap Housing / Land For Sell In Lagos ( Mainland) / DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.