Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:31 AM

Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? (16578 Views)

How Many Hours Do You Sleep In A Day? / WHO Advices People To Wear Face-Masks In Public / Coronavirus: Britons Told To Wear Face-masks On Public Transport (2) (3) (4)

Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Auraby(f): 7:15am On Sep 28, 2021
It is very risky to sleep when traveling. I remember when I was traveling from Ilorin to the South, I sat in the front with the driver and all of a sudden I found out that almost all the passengers were sleeping and to crown my fear I noticed that the driver too was dozing off and behind and under prelude car was facing us directly from the opposite side side. I screamed Jehovah and everyone woke up. Thank God for his mercy that day. When I noticed that the driver was exhausted I asked him why? He said that he just returned from Kano the previous night and since there was no driver available for the trip he had to volunteer, I now asked him to pack on the side of the road and sleep for some time, that was when we got to a busy place. I also bought him panadol to take because he complained of head ache. It is not too good to sleep when one is traveling especially now that the days are wicked.

Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Holuwaxheun(m): 7:16am On Sep 28, 2021
yuping:
Exhaustion, you don't expect some one that live in Sango and work on highland to be having a good morning or night sleep inside his house, most people wake as early as 4am just to reach work on time and probably reach home very late at night and still prepare things against work maybe get to sleep by 11am or so.

RT cos I work on the island but stay at Sango Ota grin.
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by CertyAgroAllied: 7:19am On Sep 28, 2021
Tiredness.
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by hslbroker2(m): 7:23am On Sep 28, 2021
Some it an opportunity for them to relax because they are weak and tired, if one is not weak why will someone sleep in public bus
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by dirtydaya(m): 7:30am On Sep 28, 2021
Drone95:
Hello Nlanders, It's baffles me when I see people sleeping deeply inside public transport just 5 to 10 minutes after the car or bus moved.Does it indicate sleep disorder or those people didn't have enough sleep in their home.?

I used to be like u, till a certain day a few years back, I had to work all through the night + a morning emergency also at work . Was finally done around 1pm.

Was so tired ,at one point I was sleeping on the elderly man sitting next to me .

People are going through a lot in this country, some work several jobs for peanuts.

Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Sholaco: 7:32am On Sep 28, 2021
Tiredness, hunger, lack of enough sleep..
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by MrUchenna1(m): 7:44am On Sep 28, 2021
family wahala
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Climax11: 7:46am On Sep 28, 2021
yuping:
Exhaustion, you don't expect some one that live in Sango and work on highland to be having a good morning or night sleep inside his house, most people wake as early as 4am just to reach work on time and probably reach home very late at night and still prepare things against work maybe get to sleep by 11am or so.

It's Island, not "Highland"

"H" factor is real.

Ndi highway

Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Climax11: 7:48am On Sep 28, 2021
It's Island, not "highland"

Umuoma highway and "H" factor be like 5 and 6

yuping:

Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Nobody: 7:53am On Sep 28, 2021
This one will become lawmaker one day and sponsor a bill that prohibits people from sleeping inside public vehicles.
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Seyzcham91(m): 8:07am On Sep 28, 2021
good question
Davash222:
Is it prohibited to sleep in public transport
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Seyzcham91(m): 8:08am On Sep 28, 2021
me too
samwash:

I just hate Lagos life style with passion.
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by johndho(m): 8:11am On Sep 28, 2021
Me I sleep inside bus just too relax my head and clear my mind for the next activity. After all watin I gain by looking at the cars passing by. Na to sleep pay pass.
You know say stress for Lagos is much, any opportunity you see my brother, rest ooooo.
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by ServantOG: 8:17am On Sep 28, 2021
If you live outside Lagos and you are asking this question, I understand your concern.

But

No Lagosian will ask such question.
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by iamtardey: 8:23am On Sep 28, 2021
Stressed up I'm exhausted embarassed
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by drlaykay(m): 8:29am On Sep 28, 2021
Drone95:
Hello Nlanders, It's baffles me when I see people sleeping deeply inside public transport just 5 to 10 minutes after the car or bus moved.Does it indicate sleep disorder or those people didn't have enough sleep in their home.?
You see, I used to share this ideology and usually see stupidity in it until I moved back to Lagos.
I decided I wanted to live and work on the island. I got a job in Ajah and I was trying to get an accommodation there too. Getting a place wasn't coming easily. It took me exactly a month after I resumed work to get an apartment.

I was squatting with my brother on the mainland ( Egbeda). My work schedule was 24hrs on and 48hrs off. I wake up as early as 4:30am to get set ( that's an hour I hate to wake up). I take public transport because driving is more stressful for me plying that route.You see, after working for 24hrs in a very busy centre, seeing patients all through the day and night and barely getting to close my eyes for 45mins straight, I become extremely fatigued the next morning.

Inside BRT bros, as I land on the bus, sleeping mode gets activated uncontrollably. I feel embarrassed for myself as I had always thought people involved are stupid. One day I had to "shalaye" to the person seated close to me. Omo, later on I stopped caring.

Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Loverboy3333: 8:31am On Sep 28, 2021
Y is the OP talking to me
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by joshuaidibia(m): 8:55am On Sep 28, 2021
samwash:

I just hate Lagos life style with passion.

AGREED. I keep saying it, Port Harcourt lifestyle is much easier than Lagos
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Pootle: 9:29am On Sep 28, 2021
common in lagos...staying on the main land and working on the island is very stressful, i try not to fall asleep most times but a quick nap is no crime.
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Holluwhakemmy(f): 9:46am On Sep 28, 2021
Tiredness, lack of adequate sleep some people will have to wake up as early as 4am in order to avoid traffic and still come back late in the night especially in Lagos.

Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by jumper524(m): 9:48am On Sep 28, 2021
Drone95:
probably you stay in Lagos. The habit is most common in Lagos due to traffic and bad road so people tend to sleep of to pass out their stress.. Moreover Lagos is a very stressful city to live in.
It not a common thing in Abuja.
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by onunwa21(m): 10:07am On Sep 28, 2021
Problem!!
Wahala!!
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by onunwa21(m): 10:09am On Sep 28, 2021
Nigeria turning into another thing..
Auraby:
It is very risky to sleep when traveling. I remember when I was traveling from Ilorin to the South, I sat in the front with the driver and all of a sudden I found out that almost all the passengers were sleeping and to crown my fear I noticed that the driver too was dozing off and behind and under prelude car was facing us directly from the opposite side side. I screamed Jehovah and everyone woke up. Thank God for his mercy that day. When I noticed that the driver was exhausted I asked him why? He said that he just returned from Kano the previous night and since there was no driver available for the trip he had to volunteer, I now asked him to pack on the side of the road and sleep for some time, that was when we got to a busy place. I also bought him panadol to take because he complained of head ache. It is not too good to sleep when one is traveling especially now that the days are wicked.
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Poleski: 10:18am On Sep 28, 2021
Drone95:

It's sweet to sleep in a moving car. But it's not recommended.
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Jakumo(m): 10:33am On Sep 28, 2021
Carbon monoxide concentrations in Lagos are extremely high. This particular gas is one of the very dangerous components making up vehicle exhaust pipe emissions, and in Lagos where there are NO emissions laws tailored to reduce the concentration of smoke that belches from the exhausts of poorly maintained diesel trucks and other vehicles, carbon monoxide concentrations rise to abnormally elevated readings, particularly for those trapped in traffic gridlock during daily the rush hour monster-rally.

The most immediately noticeable effect of carbon monoxide on the human body is to induce severe drowsiness that puts people into a deep sleep very quickly. Extreme cases of carbon monoxide inhalation result in the victim slipping into a comatose state, which could progress to a silent suffocation death due to oxygen starvation in their bloodstream because carbon monoxide binds with the blood's hemoglobin component far more readily than does oxygen.

The short answer to the OP's question as to why vehicle passengers quickly fall asleep in Lagos traffic jams, is therefore that those people are actually experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning at a level that causes them to fall asleep, or even die, in the case of people with preexisting medical conditions. Lagos and Mexico City rank among the most highly polluted metropolitan areas on the surface of planet Earth, and all who reside in such places are afflicted relentlessly with poisoned air, as they suffer progressively from air pollution over the course of their entire lives spent in such relentlessly foul-aired and hopelessly overpopulated megapolises.
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by chiefbuchiV12(m): 10:35am On Sep 28, 2021
I remember December last year when I was working for a cousins friend to supply bread in Lagos. The bakery was based in ogba Lagos and we were selling our products on the island one good day after sales boss called me to drop off the distribution car for him at alapere and return to base at ogba via commercial transport. That's how I boarded danfo to berger, I kid you not brethren it was after long bridge I woke up from my nap when other passengers were fighting conductor for not waking me up at my busstop.
I had to shamefully get off the bus cross the road and take bike back to berger busstop.

Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by benedictilemona(m): 10:47am On Sep 28, 2021
[quote author=samwash post=106234640]

I just hate Lagos life style with passion.I tink say na only me oo
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Zainabthegirl1(f): 10:56am On Sep 28, 2021
Lol I really don’t understand
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by edochie12: 11:01am On Sep 28, 2021
Lagos Lagos nawa oh,here in anambra,an average civil servans or banker or any private workers goes to work around 7.00am and come back latest by 6 pm,and they are living fine,Lagos is too stressful
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by Drone95(m): 11:04am On Sep 28, 2021
drlaykay:

You see, I used to share this ideology and usually see stupidity in it until I moved back to Lagos.
I decided I wanted to live and work on the island. I got a job in Ajah and I was trying to get an accommodation there too. Getting a place wasn't coming easily. It took me exactly a month after I resumed work to get an apartment.

I was squatting with my brother on the mainland ( Egbeda). My work schedule was 24hrs on and 48hrs off. I wake up as early as 4:30am to get set ( that's an hour I hate to wake up). I take public transport because driving is more stressful for me plying that route.You see, after working for 24hrs in a very busy centre, seeing patients all through the day and night and barely getting to close my eyes for 45mins straight, I become extremely fatigued the next morning.

Inside BRT bros, as I land on the bus, sleeping mode gets activated uncontrollably. I feel embarrassed for myself as I had always thought people involved are stupid. One day I had to "shalaye" to the person seated close to me. Omo, later on I stopped caring.
nature cannot be cheated, urs is sleep deprivation due to your work.
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by ofiko123(m): 11:19am On Sep 28, 2021
They sleep in the public transport because they are tired..
Re: Why Do People Sleep In Public Transport? by okoroemeka(m): 11:24am On Sep 28, 2021
KunleyY19:
It's seems we are running out of questions on NL. Unless you don't reside here in Lagos... The stress and hustling at work is enough to make a grown man fall asleep at any given oppurtunity. Imagine those on the road now going to work dey will reach by 8 or 9 then start work almost immediately. By 5 - 5:30pm again they will start hustling for bus and you expect them not to sleep at the slightest given oppurtunity?
in 2001,I went to Lagos from enugu to visit my cousin at the auto parts shop in clegg street,surulere,what baffled me was that he started to close by 5pm,I asked him why?there is still time,he told me if we don't start the long journey to frsc ojodu Berger before 6pm then we have a problem,after we hustled for one molue,two danfo and okada we came back by 10.30pm,and we are the first to come back from work,the guy he was sharing apartment came back by 12pm and before 5am he has bathed, dressed up and ready to hit the road,many people don't have enough sleep in Lagos

I Am In Love With A Sickler And I Want To Marry Her / Seminal Fluid Analysis; A Common Test For Male Infertility / Have You Ever Been A Victim Of A Mistake By A Health Personnel? Please Share

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50