Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC (14571 Views)

No Politician Can Use NURTW Members Again – Chairman / BREAKING: IGP Deploys Four Commissioners Of Police To Ogun For Elections / INEC Appoints Amina Zakari As Head Of Collation Centre For Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by akelicious(m): 5:32am On Sep 29, 2021
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has said its Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) is for timely movement of election materials on Election Days. Chief Technical Adviser to INEC Chairman, Prof. Bolade Eyila, at a roundtable on the implementation of MoU with unions in the transport sector, said it would be difficult for the commission to send materials to 800,809 registration areas and 1, 119, 973 polling units on election day without partnership with stakeholders.

Eyila said INEC expanded the MoU to include members of the NURTW, Road Transport Employers Association of Nigeria (RTEAN) and National Association of Road Transport Owners (NARTO) in the 2018 agreement to ensure effective coverage of the country. According to him, the agreement is to last for four years, adding that the review became necessary because of the 2023 general elections. He requested the NURTW to provide INEC with roadworthy vehicles in good time and to ensure timely movement of election materials. Chairman, Electoral Operations and Logistics Committee Prof. Okechukwu Ibeanu, said election conduct is not for INEC alone, disclosing that since 2010, the Commission has been cooperating with other stakeholders.

“The three unions have created good working relationship with INEC. This meeting is organised to review the operations towards 2023 general election,” Ibeanu added. President of NURTW, Alhaji Tajudeen Ibikunle Baruwa, called for insurance coverage for members of the union on election duties. Baruwa, who was represented by the General Secretary, Kabiru Adoyam, said some members of the union lost their lives while many vehicles were vandalised during elections. He noted that members of the union on election duties work late hours without security, which he blamed on the delay in releasing electoral materials by INEC. Baruwa decried inadequate security arrangements for drivers and vehicles on election duties, which he said: “Exposed our members to undue assault, attack and even death, as was seen in states like Akwa Ibom and Rivers”.

He added, “There was sabotage by some EOs who, to make money, reduced the agreed number of vehicles at the last minute and pocketed the monetary difference, leading to delays and overuse of the accepted vehicles and drivers.” The union chief suggested that if other unions are to be engaged, “they should be assigned responsibilities that corresponds with their areas of specialization”. He added, “For example NARTO should be engaged for haulage vehicles while NURTW should be engaged for passengers vehicles.”

https://www.akelicious.net/why-we-use-nurtw-for-elections-inec/

1 Like

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by Nanaborga(m): 5:37am On Sep 29, 2021
INEC nor get valid reasons why they do , dem
For kukuma add doctors and nurses to the electorate team , at least these ones go treat anybody wey agbero stab or shoot

67 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by Praxis758: 5:58am On Sep 29, 2021
We are not yet ready for 21st century progress in this country. I believe this is a sure way to sabotage the election.

Imagine signing an MoU with NURTW who are ready tools in the hands of politicians.

Imagine a situation in which some/a driver(s) are/is consulted to dispatch sensitive election materials to large voting areas where their favourite (sponsors) politicians are weak. The outcome of such is predictable.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:59am On Sep 29, 2021
Eyila said INEC expanded the MoU to include members of the NURTW, Road Transport Employers Association of Nigeria (RTEAN) and National Association of Road Transport Owners (NARTO) in the 2018 agreement to ensure effective coverage of the country. According to him, the agreement is to last for four years, adding that the review became necessary because of the 2023 general elections.
He requested the NURTW to provide INEC with roadworthy vehicles in good time and to ensure timely movement of election materials. 
Self-explanatory.
But how was INEC materials moved all around the nation prior the agreement in 2018?
We wanna know!

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by GboyegaD(m): 5:59am On Sep 29, 2021
The justification is irritating. I don't know why we keep going south on almost all matters as a country.

7 Likes

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by babaRUNtinz(m): 5:59am On Sep 29, 2021
Following
Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by ATEAMS: 5:59am On Sep 29, 2021
Ok
Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by How100: 6:00am On Sep 29, 2021
Nigeria is a failed state

2 Likes

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by manee2(m): 6:01am On Sep 29, 2021
Too long to read_ I rather get summaries through comments grin

1 Like

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by Ok12345(f): 6:01am On Sep 29, 2021
angry
Agbero get mouth pass graduates in 9ja

Abeg more pple will go into thuggery....easy money!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by Nobody: 6:02am On Sep 29, 2021
What is the essence of NURTW. In developed nation is it road transport workers who collect taxes from drivers. Too much power given to thugs, Nigeria na real zoo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by Theunbothered: 6:03am On Sep 29, 2021
Ferrying election materials with the help of touts is a recipe for disaster.

5 Likes

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by Nikkganc08(m): 6:03am On Sep 29, 2021
Lol

Nigeria is a BIG joke
Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by phemmie06(m): 6:06am On Sep 29, 2021
I don't understand this people, are they planning to use them for logistic? What is the difference between the DSS lawyer that was robbed in the public transport and INEC
Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by Simplebeauty: 6:07am On Sep 29, 2021

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by Authoreety: 6:09am On Sep 29, 2021
Una dey mad
Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by crazyABO(m): 6:13am On Sep 29, 2021
Are these people dumb to this extent what happened to using INEC official buses or government buses? Last time I checked have never seen those Dumbass INEC buses with NURTW written on it or any of the Tout driving it. The only time u see them is when they’re about hijacking the ballot boxes or cause disruption lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by Nobody: 6:13am On Sep 29, 2021
When the time comes we'll kill all of una together. undecided

1 Like

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by Tetrahedron: 6:14am On Sep 29, 2021
They are all same touts and agberos
Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by Nobody: 6:14am On Sep 29, 2021
Please help a brother out of this condition I'm facing right now, where I'm learning cable networking, my boss does assist me with 5hundred to eat( he's just pity me as a graduate without job for now) everyday anytime we have work, but this time around no work, I personally is struggling to eat, my mum just called this evening that I should help her with any amount and I'm dead broke for now, I really felt bad that I couldn't provide for her when she needed me most , I'm begging everyone to please assist me with any amount to send to her, please everyone. I pray that we won't be frustrated in life
Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by ClassicMan202(m): 6:16am On Sep 29, 2021
Tinubu and MC Oluomo right now...

3 Likes

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by Skyfornia(m): 6:21am On Sep 29, 2021
This is what made MC Oluomo rich...

2 Likes

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by durubrian(m): 6:24am On Sep 29, 2021
Hardeorlah5:
Please help a brother out of this condition I'm facing right now, where I'm learning cable networking, my boss does assist me with 5hundred to eat( he's just pity me as a graduate without job for now) everyday anytime we have work, but this time around no work, I personally is struggling to eat, my mum just called this evening that I should help her with any amount and I'm dead broke for now, I really felt bad that I couldn't provide for her when she needed me most , I'm begging everyone to please assist me with any amount to send to her, please everyone. I pray that we won't be frustrated in life

Everything seemed legit until I read "I pray that....."
Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by yanabasee2: 6:25am On Sep 29, 2021
This country is NEVER meant to be a better country....

Using thugs to transport election materials....

This is Tinubu's idea.....

2 Likes

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by elmessiahs(m): 6:25am On Sep 29, 2021
The politicians mou with them is even stronger that they divert election materials for manipulation
Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by janedonez(m): 6:25am On Sep 29, 2021
Bad o
Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by AfonjaConehead: 6:29am On Sep 29, 2021
Like this,Huh?

grin

2 Likes

Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by nautybride: 6:29am On Sep 29, 2021
Re: Why We Use NURTW For Elections –INEC by adesegun121(m): 6:30am On Sep 29, 2021
Seen

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Are Not Responsible For Your Failure - TCN To IBEDC / I Transported N4.7bn Poll Funds For Obanikoro, Ex-aide Confesses / "There Will Be No Electronic Voting In 2019"-mahmood Yakubu, INEC Chairman Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.