Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,260 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? (13932 Views)

Adekoya Boladale: Nigeria Economy - Awakening The Snoring Giant! / Africa, The Next China - US Senator / Who Is The Real Giant Of Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by thabo(m): 11:54am On Jul 23, 2007
I don't mean to be rude but being big does not mean that you are powerful. Let us state the facts. Nigeria is the biggest country in Africa in terms of population. South Africa is different case. Our economy is bigger than the economy of West,North,East and Central Africa combined. If you can go to the Wall Street journal you'll see what I'm talking about. At least Egypt comes a little bit closer but they still have a long way to go. If Nigeria want to be an African giant, they must recruit their neighbours and form one country. This does not mean that we don't like our good old friends (Nigerians). In fact South Africa and Nigeria are the only African countries that the West are afraid of.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Banderas(m): 11:59am On Jul 23, 2007
You're kidding right? Your economy is bigger than the rest of Africa combined?? Algeria, Egypt and Nigeria alone more than double South Africa's "giant" economy. Where do you get your stats from?

1 Like

Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by denex: 12:13pm On Jul 23, 2007
THABO is one of those Boers that are going around trying to cause divisions between the Africans in South Africa, and the rest Africans. South Africa has the biggest economy in Africa and we are happy that that economy has been seized from the white imperialists who wanted to a European proxy nation in Africa to suck us dry and the wealth has been handed to our African Brothers. God be praised.

Do not hide under the name tha-bo, your true identity is BO-THA and I am happy to inform you that that colonial era where you can plant seeds of dissent among Africans is gone.

We love South Africans, Nigeria has respectfully drop the name "The Giant Of Africa" and taken up "The Heart Of Africa", acknowledging that our brothers, the South Africans are now the true Giant of Africa.

And together we're going to Chase those crazy murdering and oppressing Boers out of the motherland.

1 Like

Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by thabo(m): 12:13pm On Jul 23, 2007
Sir go to Wikipedia, they'll tell you that South Africa is the largest economy by far in Africa, bigger than most of the African countries combined. I'm not being arrogant. Refusing to believe this is like denying that the German economy is bigger that the of England.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by denex: 12:17pm On Jul 23, 2007
So what have you got to gain by breeding dissent "sir"?

You're expecting to see something similar to the Shia/Sunni divide? No my great Bo-tha. Not in Africa. No more divide and conquer for you. We done learnt our lesson.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by thabo(m): 12:20pm On Jul 23, 2007
Denex I'm black man I'm just stating the facts man. Now you are right Nigeria is the heartbeat of Africa. South Africa is the giant. If Nigeria can learn to respect South Africa and SA also South Africa do the same Africa will be the best place to be. Right now things are batter between the two countries. Do you kno of agreement that was reached between these two great countries. Nigeria pulled out of 2010 world cup bid supported the SA bid, South Africa is also going to do the same by supporting the 2014 Nigerian bid to host the commonwealth games.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by denex: 12:26pm On Jul 23, 2007
Nigerians are truly not interested in hosting the CommonWealth Games. We're nobody's common wealth and the common wealth games belong to the Colonialists let them host it themselves.

By the way, since you're black, good luck to you. I just wanted you to know that I'm not black.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by thabo(m): 12:37pm On Jul 23, 2007
So dude you are not black, shame! unlucky you man. Being black is nice especially being a black South African and also black American. Oh I thought Nigeria was 100% black.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by denex: 12:48pm On Jul 23, 2007
Am African, I know African Americans too feel good about their heritage too and South Africans have a very colourful culture too. But since you are black, I wouldn't know about your personal experience cos I AM NOT BLACK!
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Banderas(m): 12:53pm On Jul 23, 2007
Thabo, where in wiki are you getting this from? In your initial post, you said the SA economy was bigger than the economies of all other african countries combined (Actually, you said North, East, West and Central).

This is simply not true.

According to wikipedia, the GDP figures for 2006 are as follows:
South African GDP = 255,155

Egypt = 107,375
Nigeria = 115,350
Algeria = 114,322

That's a total of 337,047 between the three of them.

Do be aware that I'm not saying SA doesn't have a bigger economy, we all know it does. However, it's simply not true that SA has a bigger economy than the rest of Africa combined.

Denex I think you knew what he meant though,
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Mariory(m): 12:53pm On Jul 23, 2007
The the hell has this got to do with politics?
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Xris74: 1:15pm On Jul 23, 2007
I get your drift, Denex. Many Nigerians, including myself, are brown (chocolate) not BLACK. But seriously, there are BLACK Africans. Check out sudanese, ghanaians, and some ugandans, amongst others.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by thabo(m): 1:21pm On Jul 23, 2007
Nigerians can be so funny sometimes. Where have you ever heard of a chocolate person. Hey you are fucken black guys duh! In fact Nigerians are the darkest. In this world its either yoa're black or white. The next thing you'll be saying you're yellow or pink.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by champredd(m): 1:31pm On Jul 23, 2007
When it comes to being darkest go to Ghana. grin
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by thabo(m): 1:40pm On Jul 23, 2007
The giant of Africa will be hosting the world cup in 2010. These are some of the Arenas that you'll be playing in. Some of the European countries don't even have such stadiums. There is so much to see is just that I could only attach 4 Arenas

Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by denex: 1:58pm On Jul 23, 2007
Make una no mind that black man BOTHA. No matter what he says, Nigerians will still love South Africans.

This division you're trying to create will not be an easy one. You have a great task ahead. This will not be as simple as the Shia/Sunni dichotomy. It is going to be as difficult as causing rift and jealousy between East and West Germany. We Africans are one and the same and we celebrate each others successes. There's nothing you can do about it.

We did not free South Africans only for some gringo to make us hate them.

In as much as Germany could re-unite after years of divide and conquer tactics and even after the berlin wall was built.

Then what about Africa where our enemies did not even have the chance to build walls separating us? Thank God for small mercies.

God bless Africa.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Xris74: 5:54pm On Jul 23, 2007
Thabo or Botha,

Take a pice of black clothing, put it next to your skin and come back and tell me if you are BLACK. I did that with several colours and my skin rhymed with a brown piece of cloth. As I said before, I am confirmed brown and all my German colleagues have agreed with me because I made them perform similar experiment with clothings. If you insist you are BLACK, then you are indeed black.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by stanech: 6:53pm On Jul 23, 2007
People who have visited SA always wonder if they were still in Africa.

Men no matter what we say or do SA is the true giant of Africa. Those who are talking about GDP should talk about the population. When the issue of Population comes into play then you will know that SA has an economy that is 100 times larger than Nigeria.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by denex: 7:10pm On Jul 23, 2007
@stanech

I totally agree with you.
Just like the Western Europeans used Africans to develop their economy, the South Africans too used the Europeans to develope their economy.

I'm beginning to suspect that what we need in Nigeria is to send MEND to Europe to kidnap some "whitey" so we can use them to develope the Nigerian economy. I'm thinking of proposing it to the Federal Government.

1 Like

Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Xris74: 7:14pm On Jul 23, 2007
Crime 'deters' SA 2010 tourists

SA hopes the 30,000 extra police officers will cut crime
South Africa's minister of tourism says his country's high crime rate could deter visitors planning to come to the 2010 football World Cup.
Marthinus van Schalkwyk said research showed one-third of potential visitors cited crime as a reason for not travelling to South Africa.

The country has more than 19,000 murders and 400,000 assaults a year.

By 2010, it aims to attract hundreds of thousands more tourists to the country and will recruit 30,000 more police.

In 2006, the number of tourists went up by one million to 8.4 million and the government hopes more than 10 million will visit in World Cup year - 2010.

"Crime is, therefore, an issue we as industry have to deal with if we want to reach our target," Mr van Schalkwyk told the National Conference of the Southern African Association the Conference Industry.

The latest annual crime statistics showed a rise in the number of murders and aggravated robberies even though overall crime rates were falling.

Mr Van Schalkwyk said he was pushing for separate figures for crimes against tourists.

"This can assist in dealing with perceptions that the country may not be safe for tourists," he said.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by denex: 7:19pm On Jul 23, 2007
@Xris74

don't continue in this path because you will just be fulfilling Botha's dream of causing a rift between South Africans and Nigerians.

Go to another thread and you will see where he was condemning South Africans as Imperialist who want to impoverish the rest of Africa. So please don't serve his purpose.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by naijaway(m): 11:25pm On Jul 23, 2007
south Africa is Nigeria's brother whether bora/botha/thabo likes it or not. South Africa might be the richest in Africa even at a time when naija is crawling but the reality is that SA is infrastructurally, economically and militarily owned to the whites there. So when u show me what our fellow Africans there did then we can compare but Nigeria is still the Giant and Capital of Africa and with time the world will get the message. We are the most finicial conscious ones in Africa and the top dawg spot will belong to no other but the ones that likes it the most.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Nobody: 12:50am On Jul 24, 2007
thabo, there are 2 things you should keep in mind;

1. South Africa was not built by you and your black brothers, it was built by your European masters. Wait till all ur slave masters have gone before you can begin to make comparisons. Less than 15 yrs ago you all were slaves and 3rd class citizens in the country you so proudly display today.

2. The south african "economy" is really controlled by your white masters. You the black slaves are still the bottom feeders, poorer than the whites, uneducated and not forgetting that your nation remains the bedrock of violent crime.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by thabo(m): 7:27am On Jul 24, 2007
Facts about South Africa.

Over 70% black millionares. Whites have have economical power, but blacks have political and military power, that is why we can deal with any right wing elements who try disrupt the country. As for crime my friends, this is world wide phenomenon. Lot of people were mugged last year at the soccer world cup but the German media never bothered to report about these things. The thing is in South Africa we have extreme right wing elements who always create trouble. I'd rather be in a country where I'm mugged than be in a country where there are kidnappings at oil fields and also Christians v Muslim wars, grose! man. As for education guys, I mean we have that best Universities who are on par with western varsities. All the 24 Varsities there is over 60% black students. Feed you eyes

Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 24, 2007
yep your universities will be over 60% black because the whites all emigrated after the collapse of apartheid. Care to tell us what percentage were black in 1989? I will bet my last farthing they were not more than 10% as the rest of you were living in the swamps and ghettos of soweto working in the gold mines for your white masters.

Sure your universities are on par with the western world, what else do you expect when they were built by the whites!

Show me the legacies of the black man and quit quibling about what whites built for you!
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Gamine(f): 4:20pm On Jul 24, 2007
abeg Abeg

South Africa aint a black country jare

Dont even mention it here

Which Giant

Pls ooh!
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by stanech: 6:12pm On Jul 24, 2007
Gamine:

abeg Abeg

South Africa aint a black country jare

Dont even mention it here

Which Giant

Please ooh!

Who told you that SA is not a black country? The fact that there are whites there does not mean it is a white man's country. There are more blacks in SA so do not confuse yourself
SA is truely the GIANT OF AFRICA
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by jagwar: 2:04am On Jul 25, 2007
Um, yes its a black country with most black ppl doing the robberies, while the few whites run things. I like 2 see wat south africa would have been if not for the white man. Just look at some of ur neighbours (botswana, namibia, angola, )

Nigeria's achievements on the otherhand are purely African, imagine if we had white support

@ Thabo Ur scared of our militants? maybe u should worry about ur HIV infection rate. grin
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by denex: 2:10am On Jul 25, 2007
@all

you see how easy it was for thabo to come in here and breed hatred among Africans?

Still some people wonder why Shia and Sunni are still killing themselves.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by obong(m): 3:49am On Jul 25, 2007
jagwar, angola and botswana are doing very very well. namibia is just a mini south africa, because it was once colonized by SA
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by thabo(m): 7:16am On Jul 25, 2007
I've realised that Nigerians are hateful full of anger because of the fact that they used to call themselves the Giant of Africa, now all of sudden the whole world recognise SA as the real giant of Africa. I would also be jealous. Like it or not blacks are in charge and working together with whites, colourdes and indians to make this country a better place for all of you in the dark continent. WE ARE AFRICA'S LAST HOPE.
Re: South Africa: The Real Giant Of Africa? by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 25, 2007
thabo:

I've realised that Nigerians are hateful full of anger because of the fact that they used to call themselves the Giant of Africa, now all of sudden the whole world recognise SA as the real giant of Africa. I would also be jealous. Like it or not blacks are in charge and working together with whites, colourdes and indians to make this country a better place for all of you in the dark continent. WE ARE AFRICA'S LAST HOPE.

i wont count on it if i were you. Like it or not Nigeria remains the focal point of African foreign policy. If indeed you were Africa's last hope why did the world turn a blind eye to your slavery until 1994?
I can't be jealous of SA neither do i expect a rational Nigerian to be, i'd rather live in Europe or the USA where i at least have way more rights than you illiterate mining slaves. When my country was riding the waves of freedom you were still queueing at the back alleys of "colored's only" bars.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Commercial Bank Of Ethiopia Glitch Lets Customers Withdraw Millions / How Do I Withdraw My Cash Now From Clickbank? / Alcohol Consumers, Smokers To Pay More As Federal Govt Raises Excise Duty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.