Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,710 members, 7,802,151 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

Restructuring And Succession, Two Sides Of A Coin - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Restructuring And Succession, Two Sides Of A Coin (241 Views)

Kuda And Opay Restricted And Later Blocked My Account In Succession / 2023 Presidential Election, Restructuring And Awo's Perspective / Those In Line For The Succession Of The British Throne (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Restructuring And Succession, Two Sides Of A Coin by Jimsonjaat96(m): 3:12pm On Oct 01, 2021
Each nation has its important dates and Nigeria is no exception. Such dates mark a fundamental turning point in the lives of such countries. For Britain, the year 1066 occupied a hallowed position being the year which William the Conqueror put a twist on the history of that country. The Americans are enthusiastic about July 4, 1776 which is the date of their country’s independence from Britain. The French remember 1789 as the year of their Revolution, which ushered in the era of equality, liberty and fraternity. The Russians cannot forget 1917 as the year of their own Revolution. Of course, 1914 and 1939 have gone into history as the commencement dates for the First War and Second War, respectively.
For Nigeria, a few dates have etched their mark upon collective memory of the citizens. Thus Nigerians remember 1914 as the year their country came into formal existence in its present shape, following amalgamation of the South and the North protectorates.
Now, it is undiluted believed that that was where the first injustice is done to the natives peoples that make up the just-conceived baby ‘Nigeria’. There are certain things left out, and the foremost of them all is the non-consultation with the natives. The question dying for answer is, ‘‘who signed the Amalgamation pact on behalf of the ‘Nigerians’?’’ Because in 1914 Chief Obafem Awolowo was just 5 years old, Ahamadu Bello was 4, Tafawa Balewa was 2, Nnamdi Azikwe was 10; Aminu Kano and JosephTarka were yet to be born. Thus, if these founding fathers were obviously not signatories to the 1914 pact, then it’s either the Colonial Masters ‘match-made’ us themselves, or gathered some indigenes and made them sign what they [the indigenes] could never understand. Either way, it is evident the decisions on us were made for us. No wonder it has been avalanche of discomforts on the peoples from the onset.
Recently, they have been distress calls make to governments at all levels to let return to our day-one political setting, RESTRUCTURE. Or, SUCESSION. North should be Arewa, South West Oduduwa Republic, and East Biafra Republic. Why wouldn’t it be, when the foundation is laid on faulty grounds? Return to true Federalism being canvassed for is seen as a solution to perennial crisis of governance in the country.
Furthermore, based on firm belief in the principle of self-determination it is believed each Region/Zone should adopt internal revenue and those in South-West to be called YORUBA REGION. Each Zone to have its own constitution provided it is not in conflict with the Federal constitution. It now seems settled that because of the diversity of the Nigerian nation, a federation is the most appropriate form of government. A federation implies some federating geographical entities each of them a quasi-nation, coming together under a central to which they surrender certain powers for the protection of their common interests. Thus, powers, which are not expressly ceded to the center, intrinsically belong to the federating entities. That the Yoruba people want a region of their own as a federating unit i.e. a 6-regional structure is not new at all. This is one issue on which a broad consensus has developed over the last 15 years. It was the position canvassed by the Obas, chiefs, Leaders of Thought and the entire people of Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Osun , Oyo and Ekiti [then still part of Ondo] states in their memorandum to the National Constitutional Conference Commission in May, 1994.
However, it should be known that the two options before us cant be achieved by a few persons, hence as a Yoruba whenever I hear of frontline people like Sunday Adeyemo [Igboho] for Oduduwa Republic or Nnamdi Kalu on something pertaining to self-determination, I always remember the story of Professor Adesegun Banjo, the younger brother of Colonel Victor Banjo. Professor Banjo was a neurosurgeon. During June 12 crisis he saved millions of Dollars from his wealth in an effort to overthrow General Sanni Abacha through guerilla warfare. However, he was apprehended in Benin Republic whilst trying to get weapons into Nigeria. He ended up losing everything – his wife, his only son and wealth.He went on an exile in Ghana. The moral of the story is that a man CAN’T FREE A PEOPLE.
As much as these recent acts of killings, banditry, kidnappings, robbery/looting, rape, herdsmen-famers etc’ are condemnable, inhumane, gruesome and abuses of human rights, NIGERIANS are yet ready to do the right thing.
You see, we all have grievances. There have been many years of oppression, subtle by force, killings where a tribe gets into power. Anyone who hear the stories of how these injustices were melted on his ancestors’ blood would become hot, his ego hurt and feels humiliated[?] However, emotions shouldn’t cloud reasoning.
Some people are capitalizing on these emotions toattain positions of powers, become millionaires, win elections as they profess championing the people’s cause [in this instance, Odùduwà Republic and or Biafra causes],however, if we actually want to be independent, we have to do it diplomatically, we won't be the 150th country to be so separated and we won't be the last.
I listened to one of interviews Aare Ona Kakanfo, Iba Gani Adam granted BBC Yoruba and I knew our approach to the right thing is not right.
It is said Nigeria is a 100 years testing project, if so it ended in 2014. If ‘NIGERIANS’ don’t want to be together why not approach World Court, UN, African Union and the likes to have us disintegrated? This is the only recognized way – diplomatic and bloodless. If we really want it, it's not bloodshed, violence, terrorism, banditry and all that.
Oduduwa Republic is as ‘unrecognized’ as Biafra Republic because both are listed amongst Unlisted Countries in the world. The United Nations, for example, recognizes 251 countries and territories. The United States, however, officially recognizes fewer than 200 nations. Ultimately the best answer is that there are 196 countries in the world. Wikipedia says, ”in Africa, the total number of countries…..is unknown due to instability throughout the region. At present there are 54 sovereign countries and around 90 countries, territory and regions not recognized by the UN.” Oduduwa and Biafra Republics are amongst the 90.
And whilst some people promise to lead in the agitation we end up seeing them getting richer and recognized. Much blood has been shed, monies have ended unrecognized pockets, leaders flown abroad while leaving the followers to face the brunt of the laws [calling it oppression]. The circle seems not ending anytime soon!
I repeat, if we really want it, it's not in bloodshed, violence, vandalism, terrorism, banditry and all that: select identified leaders, approach the right quarters (World Court, UN, African Union, etc), do all the needed paperworks and follow the protocols and steps of disintegration....
Sadly, Oduduwans and Biafrans are yet to see that these three can't be achieved via Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp.
On another development, if you ask me: whose fault is that the North is made so (too) strong in the Nigerian project? Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, Eyo Ita, etc.
The 1957 [May 23 till June] and 1958 conferences in The Lancasters House in London where the federal constitution for an independent Nigeria was prepared and presided over the British Colonial Secretary had notables like Tafawa Balewa, Obafemi Awolowo, Nnamdi Azikwe, Eyo Ita,Ahmadu Bello, Muhammadu Sanusi, Usman Nagogo, Nyong Essien, S.E Onukogu,Oba Adesoji Aderemi and Oba Aladesanmi in attendance. Tell me who didn’t have equal representatives? Awolowo, Oba Adesoji Aderemi and Oba Aladesanmi were Yorubas.
Do you want me to think the Northerners therein over-rode them all?Well, try to read these Conferences Reports. The North has forever been made that strong and invincible. We made it so.
The North has forever been made that strong and invincible. Only that NIGERIANS just realize that NOW. Remember, THERE'S NOTHING LIKE THE 'EAST’ or ‘MIDDLE BELT’ in the Nigeria Project. Nigeria is a fusion of Northern Protectorate, Southern Protectorate and Lagos Colony. The North majorly houses Fulani and Hausa, the South is jam-packed with tribes!

Jimson Jaat Taofik

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring And Succession, Two Sides Of A Coin by budaatum: 3:33pm On Oct 01, 2021
If ‘NIGERIANS’ don’t want to be together why not approach World Court, UN, African Union and the likes to have us disintegrated?

We are not yet insufficiently dumb to realise that killing ourselves and agitating on Nairaland and Whatsapp are not the way to get what many seem to want. If those who got us independence 61 years ago today had been as dumb as this generation is we'd probably still be colonised.

As far as I know, there is not one single case in any court in the world where we are suing for disintegration, so I guess we love each other far to much to start divorce proceedings yet.

Happy marriage anniversary my fellow Nigerians. May we never ever divorce until we become intelligent enough to amicably divorce.

Re: Restructuring And Succession, Two Sides Of A Coin by kkins25(m): 2:26am On Oct 02, 2021
Jimsonjaat96:

Jimson Jaat Taofik
History, a ceaseless flow of fascination. But, so many names, so many numbers, important details, my little head just cant handle it...
I couldn't even read beyond paragraph three. Oh wait, no paragraph. No wonder,its so difficult to read.
That's a lie. Lol. Even the paragraphed ones I cant seem to read, or I read only tofforget..If only my dopamine would shoot up just like it does when I read religious mysticism. If only!!

(1) (Reply)

Veegil App!!! / Cheap Playstation 4 Pro 10 Games And 2pads 190k / The Best Hairstyles For Long Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.