Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,664 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) - Science/Technology (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) (58851 Views)

Moon Is Shrinking, And Researchers Reveal Reasons / NASA Announces It Has Found Water On The Moon For The First Time (Photos) / Earth Blamed For Sudden Rusting Of The Moon That Has Baffled Scientists (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by eteba(m): 4:32pm On Oct 03, 2021
If it's possible, I'd rather go with the moon.....this earth don cast finish kpatakpata!
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by ComeToJesus: 4:32pm On Oct 03, 2021
Fear not. Divine ordinances do not change.

Genesis 8:22

While the earth remains, seed time and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease."
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by Ever8090: 4:56pm On Oct 03, 2021
dynicks:
ah!!...all these bro?....no summary!?......which time person get to use check all these on top numerous teams ?...

Chimuo!!.....no shot cut to riches truly!! God ep me!!
you don see am naa grin
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by ghiloman28(m): 5:03pm On Oct 03, 2021
Ever8090:
them dey teach person gamble? grin...anyway it is football betting where you bet on outcome of games..Lt is bit easier if you watch football games as it enables you know the strength of teams.
Like myself, I bet responsibly I have the app on my phone I bet from their o don't need to go to s betting shop to place my bet.
And I stake 100 naira mostly, I don't stake huge amount as it is dangerous to do so.
check ur dm
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 03, 2021
Geminiboi:
Terrifying shocked shocked shocked

Soon there would be no night time, only daytime. Be scared people....

You be art student
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by sharpwriter(m): 5:24pm On Oct 03, 2021
Oddsmaster06:
Check my thread
Okay
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by sharpwriter(m): 5:24pm On Oct 03, 2021
collinometricx:

You Wan learn betting?

Bro, best advise don't
Thanks bro.
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by sharpwriter(m): 5:25pm On Oct 03, 2021
Chuvin22:

If you know whats good for you don't learn. You are most likely going to regret it.
Okay bro... Thanks
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by sharpwriter(m): 5:25pm On Oct 03, 2021
pelegiga92:
run oh
Thanks baba mi
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by sharpwriter(m): 5:26pm On Oct 03, 2021
MichaelSokoto:

u geh liver?

grin
Lolz.... I get na
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by sharpwriter(m): 5:28pm On Oct 03, 2021
Ever8090:
Google bet9ja you will get explanation of the options and how to stake a bet..
Okay... Thanks.
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by fayomim: 5:52pm On Oct 03, 2021
Ever8090:
This people will always have one nonsense thing to say..who measured the distance to note that it is exactly an inch and half..I know before opening the trend that they will definitely mention "billion years" and they did not disappoint at usual...

Wetin concern me, with my 100 naira, I just win 75,000 naira on bet9ja grin I needed the money so bad and God did it for me..I am greatly happy

Abeg make I kiss small from the money na
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by gazza07(m): 5:53pm On Oct 03, 2021
Utterly
superintendents:
rubbish
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by Sleekmilan01(m): 6:20pm On Oct 03, 2021
richmond500:
nothing to fear, from the look of things, it will take millions of years to finally drift out.
Technology by then would have evolved to recapture the moon, just few hundred years ago, man couldn't leave the earth atmosphere but today we could not just leave but communicate with people on the moon

My only fear is global warming.

Which people on the moon are u talking about??
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by richmond500: 6:24pm On Oct 03, 2021
Sleekmilan01:

Which people on the moon are u talking about??
astronauts
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by EMILO2STAY(m): 6:43pm On Oct 03, 2021
beejaay:

How can you be replying somebody as daft as that.. Someone that believe the figure from NASA but didn't believe the same NASA for distance of moon from earth.. How can you be arguing with someone that don't understand the basic of physics, basic relationship of light
as wave and as particle something you learn in your ss1.. The guy will just drag you to mud and defeat you with ignorance.. Use your time for something better
your a coward and a fool, come to me with your proof and debunk me stop hiding behind some one. show me that I am daft ignore and you are daft.
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by Workch: 7:24pm On Oct 03, 2021
EMILO2STAY:
your a waste of time, you should have told me your a kid. don't quote me again.
You are ignorant because you hate reading
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by Larrykaysail(m): 7:42pm On Oct 03, 2021
sharpwriter:

Baba, wetin do you?
na u won learn how to play tete.. am good here bro..
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by BJanta: 8:35pm On Oct 03, 2021
WriterNig:

The moon is drifting away from us.

Each year, our moon moves distinctly, inexorably farther from Earth just a tiny bit, about an inch and a half, a nearly imperceptible change. There is no stopping this slow ebbing, no way to turn back the clock.

The forces of gravity are invisible and unshakable, and no matter what we do or how we feel about them, they will keep nudging the moon along. Over many millions of years, we’ll continue to grow apart.

The moon used to be closer. When it first formed, about 4.5 billion years ago, molded out of rocky debris that had been floating around Earth, the moon orbited 10 times nearer to the planet than it does today. The debris, scientists believe, had come from a collision between Earth and a mysterious Mars-sized object.

Fresh out of the cosmic oven, the moon was hot and molten, glowing red in the night sky. Back then, scientists say, the moon was moving away at a rate of about eight inches per year.

Our planet and its moon were always going to grow apart like this. The gravity of moons, small as they are in comparison, can still tug at their planets, causing the larger worlds to bulge outward a little bit. On an ocean-covered planet like ours, the effect shows up in the shifting tides. The moon pulls at our oceans, but those oceans pull back, making the moon speed up in its orbit. And “if you speed up while orbiting Earth, you are escaping Earth more successfully, so you orbit from a farther distance,” James O’Donoghue, a planetary scientist at JAXA, Japan’s space agency, explained.

Scientists refer to this phenomenon as “lunar retreat” a delightful term, as I’d prefer to imagine the moon enjoying itself at a relaxing getaway, bending its rocky body into various yoga poses, rather than slowly ghosting Earth.

The end is nigh .
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by SunnyOG738(m): 9:59pm On Oct 03, 2021
Ever8090:
This people will always have one nonsense thing to say..who measured the distance to note that it is exactly an inch and half..I know before opening the trend that they will definitely mention "billion years" and they did not disappoint at usual...

Wetin concern me, with my 100 naira, I just win 75,000 naira on bet9ja grin I needed the money so bad and God did it for me..I am greatly happy
Ba'Ba make your boy smile na, even if na 1,000 i go manage am, please
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by EMILO2STAY(m): 10:01pm On Oct 03, 2021
Workch:
You are ignorant because you hate reading
mumu, are you daft!? I said don't quote me again.
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by offset67(m): 10:07pm On Oct 03, 2021
Ever8090:

ma paste aza
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by eniteden(m): 10:55pm On Oct 03, 2021
Abeg eh, I won ask.. where them dey go? E b like say them dey fear Buhari grin
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by Lamanii22(f): 11:23pm On Oct 03, 2021
Ever8090:

Who plotted the game for you....
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by Greenleaf247: 12:28am On Oct 04, 2021
sharpwriter:

Billion years... Lol

You fit teach me that bet9ja stuff?

Stay off from betting

E get why

1 Like

Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by Poleski: 1:15am On Oct 04, 2021
Geminiboi:

No! There'll still be night time but you won't see the moon again. What causes night time is not the moon, it's the rotation of the earth. When a particular part of the earth is not facing the Sun, the area becomes dark, which we called the "night time".

The time we called the "day time" is actually when a particular part of the earth is facing the Sun.

So when we have night time in Nigeria, it simply means we're in the particular area of the earth facing opposite the Sun. That's why there's what we called Time Zone
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by Poleski: 1:33am On Oct 04, 2021
What would happen if the Moon disappeared?
Do we really need the Moon in the night sky? What is its actual purpose?

If the Moon were to one day simply disappear, there would be some disastrous consequences that would have an irreversible effect upon life on Earth.

What would happen to the oceans if the Moon disappeared?

Earth’s oceans would have much smaller tides - about one-third the size of what they are now. Tides churn up material in the oceans, which allows coastal ecosystems to thrive. Animals in these environments – crabs, mussels, starfish, snails – rely on the tides for survival.

Without a coastal ecosystem, this could have knock-on effects for other land and sea animals and could lead to mass extinctions.

Additionally, tidal movements help stabilise Earth’s climate. Ocean currents are driven by the tides, which distribute warmer water around the globe and influences the global climate. Temperatures could potentially be more extreme on the Earth without this influence.

What would happen to animals if the Moon disappeared?

A missing Moon could cause a lot of confusion for animals all over the world. Predators rely on both the darkness of night and a small amount of moonlight to effectively hunt. Without any light at night, prey would likely thrive because predators would have a harder time spotting them. Just like the tides, this could cause a drastic change in ecosystem, and potentially lead to the extinction of certain predatory animals.

What would happen to the seasons if the Moon disappeared?

Lastly and probably the most worrying, the Earth’s seasons could change substantially should the Moon disappear. We experience seasons on the Earth – spring, summer, autumn and winter - because the Earth is tilted. Relative to the plane we orbit the Sun, Earth’s tilt is about 23.5 degrees. It is the pull of the Moon’s gravity on the Earth that holds our planet in place. Without the Moon stabilising our tilt, it is possible that the Earth’s tilt could vary wildly. It would move from no tilt (which means no seasons) to a large tilt (which means extreme weather and even ice ages).

What keeps me awake at night?

Our lovely Earth is also slowly drifting away from the Sun (about 15 cm each year). The planets exist within a balanced system with other planets and our sun. Generally, our own planet, as well as the other planets, have stayed in the same place for billions of years. As the planets in our solar system move, the sun uses its gravity to pull the planets towards it. The gravity from the sun causes our planet to move in a curved, elliptical path. Thankfully, the planets are moving fast enough so that they are not pulled into the sun, which would destroy Earth. On the other hand, we are also not moving quickly enough to escape the sun’s pull. If we moved faster, our planet might drift away from the sun. This would be devastating since we rely on the sun to support life on our planet.

Since our planet orbits the sun in an elliptical path, not a circular one, there are points in the Earth’s orbit where we are closer to the sun and positions where we are further from the sun. However, this process of passing close to the sun and then getting far away from it is a pattern that repeats itself every year.

We are not getting closer to the sun, but scientists have shown that the distance between the sun and the Earth is changing. The sun shines by burning its own fuel, which causes it to slowly lose power, mass, and gravity. The sun’s weaker gravity as it loses mass causes the Earth to slowly move away from it. The movement away from the sun is microscopic (about 15 cm each year). Some scientists also believe that Earth’s tides could additionally contribute to the Earth moving away from the sun. Tides may cause the Earth to work against, or push against, the gravity of the sun. The sun’s rotation may be slowing, partly in consequence to the Earth’s resistance and due to its lose of mass from burning its own fuel. The rate at which the sun is slowing is also tiny (around 3 milliseconds every 100 years). As the sun loses its momentum and mass, the Earth can slowly slip away from the sun’s pull.

Our planet is assuredly not growing closer to the sun in orbit; in fact, our planet is slowly inching away from the sun.

Sources: https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/what-would-happen-if-moon-disappeared

https://nineplanets.org/questions/getting-closer-sun/
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by djkaneo(m): 2:52am On Oct 04, 2021
Geminiboi:

Olodo�
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by Workch: 6:53am On Oct 04, 2021
EMILO2STAY:
mumu, are you daft!? I said don't quote me again.
A scientifically illiterate calling someone daft. Funny
Re: The Moon Is Leaving Us: The Earth And Moon Are Drifting Apart - Scientists (Pix) by BigDawsNet: 7:04am On Oct 04, 2021
public class RemoveChar {
public static void main(String[] args) {
String str = "WE";
System.out.println(charRemoveAt(str, 7));
}
public static String charRemoveAt(String str, int p) {
return str.substring(0, p) + str.substring(p + 1);
}
}

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Man Resumes Work, Meets Python In His Shop In Lagos / Delta Engineer Who Converted Keke To An "Aeroplane" Becomes Online Sensation / Massive Marine Skull Larger Than Human Body Reveals (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.