Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,890 members, 7,806,588 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:41 PM

Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik (3616 Views)

Notable signatures of Lugard, Zik, Awolowo, Ahmadu Bello, Gani, Ojukwu & others / Joining Your People To Call For Secession Is Wrong - Ganduje Tells Colleagues / History: Igbos Stood Against Secession Clause In Nigeria's Constitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by KayB: 2:15pm On Oct 03, 2021
Forwarded as received

*OBAFEMI AWOLOWO ASKED FOR SECESSION CLAUSE TO BE INCLUDED IN THE CONSTITUTION, THE NORTH SUPPORTED THE MOTION, BUT I IGNORANTLY OPPOSED AND THE BRITISH (HYPOCRITICALLY) SUPPORTED MY ARGUMENT*

An Interview granted by Nnamdi Azkiwe in 1975.

*Read and learn..*

"Nnamdi Azikiwe stated that... When the 1954 constitution conference started, my good friend, Chief Obafemi Awolowo tabled a motion to the effect that in the new constitution, provision should be made that any state which feels like seceding should do so. I was opposed to it and said ‘no’ and said that once we have a federation, we are indivisible and perpetual.

That was when we began to use that expression – ‘The Indivisibility and perpetuity of the federation’ – and that to secede would amount to treason. And so, a debate ensued.

The Secretary of State then was Oliver Littleton, later Lord Chandos and he was very much interested and that was his first time in saying that the people of African descent were people actually debating at a high level.

So a full day was given to Chief Awolowo to make his points. He spoke brilliantly as a lawyer. He made his points why secession should be incorporated in the constitution. He cited the case of the Soviet Union which is a federation, and that secession is written there so that any state in the Soviet Union can secede at will. He also cited the case of Western Australia and eventually he finished his case and was applauded.

Lord Chandos said that on the face of the arguments before him it would be suicidal to incorporate secession in our constitution and that is why we have section 86 in our constitution that if any region or state should secede, then it will be an act of treason

We adjourned. The next day, I had to reply. I availed myself of the opportunity to, well, demolish the arguments of my friend and I cited the case of United States which based its constitution on that of the Swiss Confederation. That is Switzerland. I pointed out a case, I think, that of Texas versus White, where Mr. Salmon Chase, the Chief Justice laid down the principle – he was really an arbiter – that the union was intended to be perpetual and indivisible and that any attempt to divide the union by secession was treasonable.

Also read Why Awolowo did not make West secede

The North (NPC) supported Action Group. The question was then: Should we have secession? *"The Colonial Office came to our rescue. YOU KNOW THE USUAL PRINCIPLE OF BRITAIN – ‘ *DIVIDED AND RULE'* (laughs) but this time, it was in our favour. So, the colonial office backed us."

Lord Chandos said that on the face of the arguments before him it would be suicidal to incorporate secession in our constitution and that is why we have section 86.... ."

— *Excerpt: Nnamdi Azikiwe’s interview with New Nigeria in 1975.*

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by Vado(m): 2:50pm On Oct 03, 2021
Nnamdi Azikiwe was the architect of Southern Nigeria’s misfortunes. So greedy for leadership of a delusional united Nigeria he allowed shortsightedness prevail over logic. Northerners love him more than people in the South. That should tell you something. May he continue to chill in Hades.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by LordIsaac(m): 2:55pm On Oct 03, 2021
Vado:
Nnamdi Azikiwe was the architect of Southern Nigeria’s misfortunes. So greedy for leadership of a delusional United Nigeria he allowed shortsightedness prevail over logic. Northerners love him more than people in the South. That should tell you something. May he continue to chill in Hades.
Followed by the system introduced by Aguyi Ironsi....yet, his region would always be the first to cry wolf.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by Tinubuadvocate: 2:58pm On Oct 03, 2021
Little wonder the indomi generation will call Yoruba coward, slave and betrayal .

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by kettykin: 3:00pm On Oct 03, 2021
So Zik was that powerful not only to out maneuver awolowo on the constitution but to determine what is put in and what's it not put in . By the way was it not awolowo that caused the Cross carpeting of NCNC politicians to AG , how come he did not use that strategy to get what he wanted in the constitution.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by Sunnybay7: 3:09pm On Oct 03, 2021
kettykin:
So Zik was that powerful not only to out maneuver awolowo on the constitution but to determine what is put in and what's it not put in . By the way was it not awolowo that caused the Cross carpeting of NCNC politicians to AG , how come he did not use that strategy to get what he wanted in the constitution.
Dull comment as usual,shifting the goal post to sound intelligent but your brain failed you woefully. You should be watching mtv not commenting on serious issues.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by Sirjamo: 3:12pm On Oct 03, 2021
I am sorry to say these, but, all the woes that Nigeria is going through today is as a result of the original sins committed by Zik, Nzeogwu and Ojukwu.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by Basic123: 3:20pm On Oct 03, 2021
Sirjamo:
I am sorry to say these, but, all the woes that Nigeria is going through today is as a result of the original sins committed by Zik, Nzeogwu and Ojukwu.

and aguyi ironsi

But Igbo will rather blame TINUBU AND AWOLOWO THEN HAUSA FULANI
HYPOCRITICAL COWARDS

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by laiperi: 3:26pm On Oct 03, 2021
My love for Awo is forever because of his intellect, insight and the way he envisage future events.

Yet, I think Zik was right here because if it took individual states or region to secede then, there was no point for the Federation in the first place.

The compromise to Awo brilliant submission could have been Majority support for secession.

Even then, Awo gave Zik that opportunity to become Executive Head later. He turned it down out of spite and gave it to Tafawa Balewa and became a second fiddle.

Personal grudge has wider consequences.

Pity.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by jimyjames(m): 3:49pm On Oct 03, 2021
everyone should continue blaming the igbos for everything, igbos are blamed for secession not been included in Nigerian Constitution, igbos are blamed for unitary system of government, igbos are blamed for starting a coup igbos are blamed for abiola's president denial , igbos are blamed for 419 , etc igbos are the only one's making history in Nigeria , I agree nothing will change in Nigeria till an igbo changes it , give igbos president to make history again

4 Likes

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by melodyogonna(m): 3:55pm On Oct 03, 2021
So there was a debate but neither was powerful enough to make the final decision, they both only had to present their arguments. Zik was too myopic IMO, I would have had a change of mind if Britain remotely attempted to support my argument, Britain never has anyone's best interest in mind except theirs.

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by Charmingrascal(m): 3:55pm On Oct 03, 2021
KayB:
Forwarded as received

*OBAFEMI AWOLOWO ASKED FOR SECESSION CLAUSE TO BE INCLUDED IN THE CONSTITUTION, THE NORTH SUPPORTED THE MOTION, BUT I IGNORANTLY OPPOSED AND THE BRITISH (HYPOCRITICALLY) SUPPORTED MY ARGUMENT*

An Interview granted by Nnamdi Azkiwe in 1975.

*Read and learn..*

"Nnamdi Azikiwe stated that... When the 1954 constitution conference started, my good friend, Chief Obafemi Awolowo tabled a motion to the effect that in the new constitution, provision should be made that any state which feels like seceding should do so. I was opposed to it and said ‘no’ and said that once we have a federation, we are indivisible and perpetual.

That was when we began to use that expression – ‘The Indivisibility and perpetuity of the federation’ – and that to secede would amount to treason. And so, a debate ensued.

The Secretary of State then was Oliver Littleton, later Lord Chandos and he was very much interested and that was his first time in saying that the people of African descent were people actually debating at a high level.

So a full day was given to Chief Awolowo to make his points. He spoke brilliantly as a lawyer. He made his points why secession should be incorporated in the constitution. He cited the case of the Soviet Union which is a federation, and that secession is written there so that any state in the Soviet Union can secede at will. He also cited the case of Western Australia and eventually he finished his case and was applauded.

Lord Chandos said that on the face of the arguments before him it would be suicidal to incorporate secession in our constitution and that is why we have section 86 in our constitution that if any region or state should secede, then it will be an act of treason

We adjourned. The next day, I had to reply. I availed myself of the opportunity to, well, demolish the arguments of my friend and I cited the case of United States which based its constitution on that of the Swiss Confederation. That is Switzerland. I pointed out a case, I think, that of Texas versus White, where Mr. Salmon Chase, the Chief Justice laid down the principle – he was really an arbiter – that the union was intended to be perpetual and indivisible and that any attempt to divide the union by secession was treasonable.

Also read Why Awolowo did not make West secede

The North (NPC) supported Action Group. The question was then: Should we have secession? *"The Colonial Office came to our rescue. YOU KNOW THE USUAL PRINCIPLE OF BRITAIN – ‘ *DIVIDED AND RULE'* (laughs) but this time, it was in our favour. So, the colonial office backed us."

Lord Chandos said that on the face of the arguments before him it would be suicidal to incorporate secession in our constitution and that is why we have section 86.... ."

— *Excerpt: Nnamdi Azikiwe’s interview with New Nigeria in 1975.*

Of course every lover of history and those who have knowledge of Nigeria history know that Awolowo asked for secession clause but Nnamdi Azikwe was totally against it.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by Charmingrascal(m): 3:56pm On Oct 03, 2021
kettykin:

Go and re-read history, now patiently so that you can assimilate and comprehend.

14 Likes

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by Sirjamo: 4:04pm On Oct 03, 2021
Basic123:
and aguyi ironsi

But Igbo will rather blame TINUBU AND AWOLOWO THEN HAUSA FULANI
HYPOCRITICAL COWARDS
It's their way, they don't take responsibility for anything.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by West1side: 4:17pm On Oct 03, 2021
Speaking from both sides of the mouth like a fool yeah ?!

laiperi:
My love for Awo is forever because of his intellect, insight and the way he envisage future events.

Yet, I think Zik was right here because if it took individual states or region to secede then, there was no point for the Federation in the first place.

The compromise to Awo brilliant submission could have been Majority support for secession.

Even then, Awo gave Zik that opportunity to become Executive Head later. He turned it down out of spite and gave it to Tafawa Balewa and became a second fiddle.

Personal grudge has wider consequences.

Pity.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by tamdun: 4:19pm On Oct 03, 2021
Àwolọwọ

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by Basic123: 4:39pm On Oct 03, 2021
Sirjamo:
It's their way, they don't take responsibility for anything.
Exactly, now IPOB are killing their people..they still believe its DSS....After not taking responsibility for anything they will be claiming other people glory,they developed PH,LAG,KANO,ABUJA AND KADUNA cheesy

Those people ehn!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by Guestlander: 4:39pm On Oct 03, 2021
kettykin:

What cross carpeting nonsense. It was a parliamentary system! The same type of coalition made Zik the president and Balewa the prime Minister. Stop being ignorant.

10 Likes

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by BigSarah(f): 4:43pm On Oct 03, 2021
Lol how zik was able to make two giants like awo and balewa gamble both their regions in an experiment like Nigeria for eternity is baffling..

YET the same zik couldn't bambozzle them to make him prime minister for just a few years..
But settled for a ceremonial title

LOL history revisionists, should always include commonsense

Awolowo stood for one Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGxtVhpBAr0

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by Omoluabi1stborn: 4:46pm On Oct 03, 2021
jimyjames:
everyone should continue blaming the igbos for everything, igbos are blamed for secession not been included in Nigerian Constitution, igbos are blamed for unitary system of government, igbos are blamed for starting a coup igbos are blamed for abiola's president denial , igbos are blamed for 419 , etc igbos are the only one's making history in Nigeria , I agree nothing will change in Nigeria till an igbo changes it , give igbos president to make history again

The truth is.
Both Igbos and Fulanis destroyed this country.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by Omoluabi1stborn: 4:49pm On Oct 03, 2021
[s]
BigSarah:
Lol how zik was able to make two giants like awo and balewa gamble both their regions in an experiment like Nigeria for eternity is baffling..

YET the same zik couldn't bambozzle them to make him prime minister for just a few years..
But settled for a ceremonial title

LOL history revisionists, should always include commonsense
[/s]

This is what happens when you are too lazy to read and do research.

1. Awo and Northerners wants secession include in the constitution

2. British opposed it and doesn't like the idea

3. Zik also opposed it

4. Since zik opposed it, it gave the British upper hand, had it been the zik did not opposed it. The British would be left with no choice

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by BigSarah(f): 4:53pm On Oct 03, 2021
Omoluabi1stborn:

This is what happens when you are too lazy to read and do research.

1. Awo and Northerners wants secession include in the constitution

2. British opposed it and doesn't like the idea

3. Zik also opposed it

4. Since zik opposed it, it gave the British upper hand, had it been the zik did not opposed it. The British would be left with no choice

If I ask you to provide me proof your stance now can you? I'm willing to learn

Still no record of any revolt regards that decision.
Lmao, I've done as much research needed to have an opinion..
If zik and the British were such pals, they should have made him prime minister..
Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by TheSupleemLeada(m): 4:59pm On Oct 03, 2021
BigSarah:

If zik and the British were such pals, they should have made him prime minister..

Zik's father was a close friend of lord lugard. Stop embarrassing yourself. Plus zik was a corrupt man who took up loads of personal debts that made the british blackmail him. 95% of the problems igbos are facing is largely the fault of their leaders.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by laiperi: 5:04pm On Oct 03, 2021
Bad bele go finish you

West1side:
Speaking from both sides of the mouth like a fool yeah ?!

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by Omoluabi1stborn: 5:06pm On Oct 03, 2021
BigSarah:

We adjourned. The next day, I had to reply

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pmnewsnigeria.com/2019/04/27/flashback-why-i-opposed-awolowo-on-secession-zik/%3famp=1

Do you wanna read zik reply?
Here is it

In 1953 when Northern Nigerians were beginning to consider secession from the Nigerian colony that would soon be a nation, Nnamdi Azikiwe gave a speech before the caucus of his political party, the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC) in Yaba, Nigeria on May 12, 1953. That speech, while not disallowing secession, suggested that there would be grave consequences if the Northern region became an independent nation.

I have invited you to attend this caucus because I would like you to make clear our stand on the issue of secession. As a party, we would have preferred Nigeria to remain intact, but lest there be doubt as to our willingness to concede to any shade of political opinion the right to determine its policy, I am obliged to issue a solemn warning to those who are goading the North towards secession. If you agree with my views, then I hope that in course of our deliberations tonight, you will endorse them, to enable me to publicize them in the Press.

In my opinion, the Northerners are perfectly entitled to consider whether or not they should secede from the indissoluble union which nature has formed between it and the South, but it would be calamitous to the corporate existence of the North should the clamour for secession prevail. I, therefore, counsel Northern leaders to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of secession before embarking upon this dangerous course.

As one who was born in the North, I have a deep spiritual attachment to that part of the country, but it would be a capital political blunder if the North should break away from the South. The latter is in a better position to make rapid constitutional advance, so that if the North should become truncated from the South, it would benefit both Southerners and Northerners who are domiciled in the South more than their kith and kin who are domiciled in the North.

There are seven reasons for my holding to this view. Secession by the North may lead to internal political convulsion there when it is realized that militant nationalists and their organizations, like the NLPU, the Askianist Movement, and the Middle Zone League, have aspirations for self-government in 1956 identical with those of their Southern compatriots. It may lead to justifiable demands for the right of self-determination by non-Muslims, who form the majority of the population in the so-called ‘Pagan’ provinces, like Benue, Ilorin, Kabba, Niger and Plateau, not to mention the claims of non-Muslims who are domiciled in Adamawa and Bauchi Provinces.

It may lead to economic nationalism in the Eastern Region, which can pursue a policy of blockade of the North, by refusing it access to the sea, over and under the River Niger, except upon payment of tolls. It may lead to economic warfare between the North on the one hand, and the Eastern or Western regions on the other, should they decide to fix protective tariffs which will make the use of the ports of the Last and West uneconomic for the North.

The North may be rich in mineral resources and certain cash crops, but that is no guarantee that it would be capable of growing sufficient food crops to enable it to feed its teeming millions, unlike the East and the West. Secession may create hardship for Easterners and Westerners who are domiciled in the North, since the price of food crops to be imported into the North from the South is bound to be very high and to cause an increase in the cost of living. Lastly, it will endanger the relations with their neighbours of millions of Northerners who are domiciled in the East and West and Easterners and Westerners who reside in the North.

You may ask me whether there would be a prospect of civil war, if the North decided to secede? My answer would be that it is a hypothetical question which only time can answer. In any case, the plausible cause of a civil war might be a dispute as to the right of passage on the River Niger, or the right of flight over the territory of the Eastern or Western Region; but such disputes can be settled diplomatically, instead of by force.

Nevertheless, if civil war should become inevitable at this stage of our progress as a nation, then security considerations must be borne in mind by those who are charged with the responsibility of government of the North and the South. Military forces and installations are fairly distributed in all the three regions; if that is not the case, any of the regions can obtain military aid from certain interested Powers. It means that we cannot preclude the possibility of alliance with certain countries.

You may ask me to agree that if the British left Nigeria to its fate, the Northerners would continue their uninterrupted march to the sea, as was prophesied six years ago? My reply is that such an empty threat is devoid of historical substance and that so far as I know, the Eastern Region has never been subjugated by any indigenous African invader. At the price of being accused of overconfidence, I will risk a prophecy and say that, other things being equal, the Easterners will defend themselves gallantly, if and when they are invaded.

Let me take this opportunity to warn those who are making a mountain out of the molehill of the constitutional crisis to be more restrained and constructive. The dissemination of lies abroad; the publishing of flamboyant headlines about secessionist plans, and the goading of empty-headed careerists with gaseous ideas about their own importance in tile scheme of things in the North is being overdone in certain quarters . I feel that these quarters must be held responsible for any breach between the North and South, which nature had indissolubly united in a political, social and economic marriage of convenience. In my personal opinion, there is no sense in the North breaking away or the East or the West breaking away; it would be better if all the regions would address themselves to the task of crystallizing common nationality, irrespective of the extraneous influences at work. What history has joined together let no man put asunder. But history is a strange mistress which can cause strange things to happen
https://m.guardian.ng/features/ziks-voice-that-voided-planned-secession-by-the-north-in-1953/amp/

To your last question

In the Constitutional Conferences held in London and Lagos, the British had woven in a caveat that if any Region of the country expressed opposition or unreadiness for Independence on October 1, the independence would be postponed indefinitely. In the pre_independence election conducted by the British on December 15, 1959 the following results were obtained:

NCNC_NEPU Alliance scored a total of 2,595,577 votes to capture 73 seats. The Action Group_UMBC Alliance scored 1,922,364 votes to capture 73 seats. The NPC scored a total of 1,992178 votes to capture 142 seats.

It may be said that Awolowo showed bad faith or extra smart politics by offering simultaneously to the NCNC and NPC the option of Prime Ministership in an alliance with the Action Group provided he could be made Minister of Finance. Zik could have accepted Awolowo’s offer and became the Prime Minster, but considering the threat which the NPC had expressed that if the Prime Ministership did not come to the North, they would stop Independence on October 1, 1960, he patriotically sacrificed the opportunity.

He said that his primary objective in the nationalist struggle was for Nigeria to be free and independent. Indeed he reflected this in his speech after being sworn is as Governor_General when he said “consumatum est”.

THANK YOU

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by BigSarah(f): 5:10pm On Oct 03, 2021
TheSupleemLeada:

Zik's father was a close friend of lord lugard. Stop embarrassing yourself. Plus zik was a corrupt man who took up loads of personal debts that made the british blackmail him. 95% of the problems igbos are facing is largely the fault of their leaders.

Lmao...
Awo is the nephew of lord lugard, even balewa is the estranged cousin of lord lugards wife..
See all nonsense, anyone can say nonsense..
I do agree Zik, Ironsi, Nzeogwu aren't celebrated by any Igbo clan because they're faulty..
But The purpose of this thread is false pending proof..
I'm here to learn not argue pointlessly
Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by TheSupleemLeada(m): 5:22pm On Oct 03, 2021
BigSarah:

Lmao...
Awo is the nephew of lord lugard, even balewa is the estranged cousin of lord lugards wife..
See all nonsense, anyone can say nonsense..
I do agree Zik, Ironsi, Nzeogwu aren't celebrated by any Igbo clan because they're faulty..
But The purpose of this thread is false pending proof..
I'm here to learn not argue pointlessly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiDjC--8JA8&list=PLlbZETaE2JJPEG8ZU_8xIhI7T7J_p81sG&index=61

That's a video of Harold Smith(a former british colonial officer) he over saw elections in pre-colonial nigeria and shared his thoughts on Awo, Enahoro and your beloveth Azikiwe, If you have data watch it and educate yourself.

Below is Obed-Edom Azikiwe father of Nnamdi Azikiwe seated at the left side of lugard. He was nigeria's very first Uncle Tom and loyal slave assistant to lugard. The issue with must of you Igbos apart from high levels of group narcissism is the fact that you find it difficult to take responsibility for your actions and hold your leaders accountable..... there's always an outside force you'd find to blame.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by BigSarah(f): 5:24pm On Oct 03, 2021
Read this before
Omoluabi1stborn:

Do you wanna read zik reply?
Here is it

To your last question

In the Constitutional Conferences held in London and Lagos, the British had woven in a caveat that if any Region of the country expressed opposition or unreadiness for Independence on October 1, the independence would be postponed indefinitely. In the pre_independence election conducted by the British on December 15, 1959 the following results were obtained:

NCNC_NEPU Alliance scored a total of 2,595,577 votes to capture 73 seats. The Action Group_UMBC Alliance scored 1,922,364 votes to capture 73 seats. The NPC scored a total of 1,992178 votes to capture 142 seats.

It may be said that Awolowo showed bad faith or extra smart politics by offering simultaneously to the NCNC and NPC the option of Prime Ministership in an alliance with the Action Group provided he could be made Minister of Finance. Zik could have accepted Awolowo’s offer and became the Prime Minster, but considering the threat which the NPC had expressed that if the Prime Ministership did not come to the North, they would stop Independence on October 1, 1960, he patriotically sacrificed the opportunity.

He said that his primary objective in the nationalist struggle was for Nigeria to be free and independent. Indeed he reflected this in his speech after being sworn is as Governor_General when he said “consumatum est”.

THANK YOU

I'm not disputing Zik was a nationalist, but the false notion that Zik forced Awo and balewa to stick to Nigeria..

He brought up an opinion and the North saw reason with him, likewise the west eventually..

Just Sad Zik aided the north from a suicidal secession with words, but the same North payed that back with bullets and bombs.
Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by TheSupleemLeada(m): 5:28pm On Oct 03, 2021
BigSarah:

I'm not disputing Zik was a nationalist but the false notion that Zik forced Awo and balewa to stick to Nigeria..

He brought up an opinion and the North saw reason with him, likewise the west eventually..

Just Sad Zik aided the north from a suicidal secession with words, but the same North payed that back with bullets and bombs.

Zik was no nationalist. He only pushed for one Nigeria because he had the rettarded idea that he could manipulate the north and have his tribesmen dominate all spheres of Nigeria, same idea ironsi had when he banned regionalism. We all know how that ended.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by Omoluabi1stborn: 5:32pm On Oct 03, 2021
TheSupleemLeada:

Zik was no nationalist. He only pushed for one Nigeria because he had the rettarded idea that he could manipulate the north and have his tribesmen dominate all spheres of Nigeria, same idea ironsi had when he banned regionalism. We all know how that ended.

Gbam!

BigSarah:
Read this before

I'm not disputing Zik was a nationalist, but the false notion that Zik forced Awo and balewa to stick to Nigeria..

Bigsarah, in your readings did you read this?

”Igbo domination of Nigeria is only a matter of time”- Charles Onyeama, a prominent igbo lawyer and member of the Central Legislative Council, 1945. (Page 204 ”Ethnic Politics In Kenya and Nigeria” by Godfrey Mwakikagile).

”It would appear that the God of Africa has created the Igbo nation to lead the children of Africa from the bondage of ages ….” – Dr Azikiwe, President of the Pan-Igbo Federal Union. (The West African Pilot of July 8, 1949).

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by BigSarah(f): 5:32pm On Oct 03, 2021
TheSupleemLeada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiDjC--8JA8&list=PLlbZETaE2JJPEG8ZU_8xIhI7T7J_p81sG&index=61

That's a video of Harold Smith(a former british colonial officer) he over saw elections in pre-colonial nigeria and shared his thoughts on Awo, Enahoro and your beloveth Azikiwe, If you have data watch it and educate yourself.

Below is Obed-Edom Azikiwe father of Nnamdi Azikiwe seated at the left side of lugard. He was nigeria's very first Uncle Tom and loyal slave assistant to lugard. The issue with must of you Igbos apart from high levels of group narcissism is the fact that you find it difficult to take responsibility for your actions and hold your leaders accountable..... there's always an outside force you'd find to blame.

Haven't seen that video before, Zik wasn't nationalist he was just a crook?
Too bad

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo Asked For Secession Clause - Zik by TheSupleemLeada(m): 5:33pm On Oct 03, 2021
Marginalization for the Igbo man is a twisted idea that other tribes must allow themselves to be dominated by them. The arrogance makes up for a lack of real history and authenticity that you find in other tribes.

16 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Another Clear And Convincing Proof That Buhari Is Actually Dead / Video: Moment Peter Obi And Pa Ayo Adebanjo Arrive Venue Of Ogun Rally / Before And After Tweets Of Tinubu Supporters As The Economy Bites Hard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.