Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,855 members, 7,802,741 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:31 PM

Do You Need Religion To He Moral. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Need Religion To He Moral. (330 Views)

The Benefit Of Religion To A 3rd World Country(Nigeria) / Nobody Needs Jesus Or Religion to be Righteous / Does Man Need Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Need Religion To He Moral. by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 03, 2021
Hello peeps, i have a very important observation i would need your input and thoughts.
The question is , do you really need religion to be moral? Can one be moral without religion.
Now, morality is knowing and having a sense of right versus wrong.
The reason for this question is my observation of Nigeria and Nigerians. We are deeply religious, go to chrch every day in the week, but in my observation, the most immoral people in the world.
I have constantly interacted with friends from Asian countries like Vietnam for instance who are never religious, never been to a church but nevertheless, deeply moral. They are willing to do the right thing and obey the law compared to my deeply religious Nigerians who are always willing break the law for example.
Re: Do You Need Religion To He Moral. by LordReed(m): 3:04pm On Oct 03, 2021
Skyview01:
Hello peeps, i have a very important observation i would need your input and thoughts.
The question is , do you really need religion to be moral? Can one be moral without religion.
The reason for this question is my observation of Nigeria and Nigerians. We are deeply religious, go to chrch every day in the week, but in my observation, the most immoral people in the world.
I have constantly interacted with friends from Asian countries like Vietnam for instance who are never religious, never been to a church but nevertheless, deeply moral. They are willing to do the right thing and obey the law compared to my deeply religious Nigerians who are always willing break the law for example.

Well you have your answer and it is no, you don't need religion to be moral. You can choose to live a moral life without religion because religion and morality are not the same.
Re: Do You Need Religion To He Moral. by Image123(m): 4:07pm On Oct 03, 2021
Skyview01:

God created every human with a conscience. Just like every other part of human beings, it's not the same size, strength or power e.g your hearing could be better than mine and we don't have the same BPs. All can also depreciate or be improved on. Some people have acute sense of conscience, while some have deadened conscience.
Your conscience naturally has a sense of right and wrong, though influenced by external factors. Religion can give you a false sense of morality like most cases in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Do You Need Religion To He Moral. by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On Oct 03, 2021
Skyview01:
Yes, you do not need religion to be moral, however, the standard God has for us us is higher than that afforded you by your morality. undecided

For example, where some men operate on the moral idea that sex before marriage is wrong, God says instead that lust, which even virgins are guilty of, is sin. undecided

Morality man's standard for establishing right and wrong - God's standard is much higher than that..

1 Like

Re: Do You Need Religion To He Moral. by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 03, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Yes, you do not need religion to be moral, however, the standard God requires from us is higher than that afforded you by your morality. undecided

For example, where some men operate on the moral idea that sex before marriage is wrong, God says instead that lust, which even virgins are guilty of, is sin. undecided

I agree with you. I was thinking more on the level of morals required by humans when we interract with each other in a society. Like being law abiding,
honesty and truthfulness.
For sure God requires a higher standard of morality.
Re: Do You Need Religion To He Moral. by Kobojunkie: 4:31pm On Oct 03, 2021
Skyview01:

I agree with you. I was thinking more on the level of morals required by humans when we interract with each other in a society. Like being law abiding,
honesty and truthfulness.

For sure God requires a higher standard of morality.
Yeah, morality is of men and not of God and so no religion or belief in God required at all. undecided
Re: Do You Need Religion To He Moral. by Dtruthspeaker: 4:37pm On Oct 03, 2021
Skyview01:

It is religious for people to read therefore it is recommended that you Read the Bible to obtain the Highest and Best Standards of the Acquisition of that which is Right and Good from that which is not good but wicked.

NO OTHER BOOK COMES CLOSE!

Skyview01:

Morality is not "having a sense" BUT USE OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF THAT WHICH IS GOOD FROM THAT WHICH IS WICKED AND NOT GOOD.

Skyview01:

You obviously equate morality with Law. No problem here for now but the question is Whose Law?

For Laws come from 2 types of Persons to wit Good Person, Good Laws and Evil Persons, evil Law?

So the question is, is morality subject to Law or is Morality Always about The Right and Good Over and Above the wicked and evil?

And just to chip in this, it is The Law that a bad Law, is NO LAW!

So have a snack of this, the main course is yet to be served if you are interested.

(1) (Reply)

My Experience In Church Today. / Budaatum's Confusion / The Spirit Of Antichrist And Antichrists In The World Part 18

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.