Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,889 members, 7,798,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:11 PM

If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes (1749 Views)

Are You A Great Programmer And Do You Want To Make Triple Of Your Salary / Free Source Codes / Envato Free Source Codes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by CodeArtist(m): 8:01pm On Oct 03, 2021
There are so many people once they see something amazing and great, the first thing they do is ask for the source codes.
If you really want to be great in what you do, examine the output, try to picture the codes in your mind then try in every way you can to create something like or greater than what you have seen
The source code won't impact anything in your learning skill,instead it makes you lazy
Have a creative mindset, think of crazy ideas , google what certain codes are used for and how they are used then try creating something with it. Believe me you would be 90% better than you were before. It also helps you easily remember every codes that you have ever used
Don't Learn with source codes,it doesn't help
https://youtube.com/channel/UCizop2InXoW_j5pWhOT5G_g

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by stanley000: 8:16pm On Oct 03, 2021
Shut up. The world has past that stage of learning from scratch.

7 Likes

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by CodeArtist(m): 8:41pm On Oct 03, 2021
stanley000:
Shut up. The world has past that stage of learning from scratch.
Well copy and pasting doesn't do any good
The world has passed the stage of learning from scratch?
Maybe you don't know
Learning from scratch is way faster and reliable than copying and pasting
"If you really want to be a great and creative programmer" challenge yourself, if you're able to unlock one, all other things will flow in faster
The people you copied from, did it from scratch �

2 Likes

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by stanley000: 8:58pm On Oct 03, 2021
CodeArtist:

Maybe you don't know
"If you really want to be a great and creative programmer" challenge yourself, if you're able to unlock one, all other things will flow in faster
copy paste is even much harder to learn than u realize

1 Like

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by CodeArtist(m): 9:09pm On Oct 03, 2021
stanley000:
copy paste is even much harder to learn than u realize
That's what I'm trying to say
Why stress your brain to study the code of someone else when you can create your own and it never leaves you undecided

4 Likes

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by Enceladus(m): 9:40pm On Oct 03, 2021
You call it copy and paste and China calls it reverse engineering. Reverse engineering is a superior method to learn anytime any day.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by stanliwise(m): 10:22pm On Oct 03, 2021
CodeArtist:
There are so many people once they see something amazing and great, the first thing they do is ask for the source codes.
If you really want to be great in what you do, examine the output, try to picture the codes in your mind then try in every way you can to create something like or greater than what you have seen
The source code won't impact anything in your learning skill,instead it makes you lazy
Have a creative mindset, think of crazy ideas , google what certain codes are used for and how they are used then try creating something with it. Believe me you would be 90% better than you were before. It also helps you easily remember every codes that you have ever used
Don't Learn with source codes,it doesn't help
https://youtube.com/channel/UCizop2InXoW_j5pWhOT5G_g
Abeg type something else. Which one is don’t ask for source codes. Do you understand how much knowledge lies in code?

It is like I see someone build a car and I just don’t want to reverse engineer the car on my own? As cool as it sounds it just rubbish.

The down side of it is when people just copy and paste thing from other people source code or plan.

But when you analyze source code it gives you some important points

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 03, 2021
Everyone has thier own method of learning but as for me I'll always stick to this rule of "don't reinvent the wheel" and for good reason, because back in the early days of computer you have to build app from the scratch when I mean from the scratch I mean you have to build your own SDK, Framework and all the necessary things needed for an app to run all from the scratch, that is what gave birth to programming languages in the first place else we would be stuck writing machine code. these days people are making it easier for programs to be coded as you don't need to first code your own custom IDE then implementimations, everything is already been done for you, it will be unwise to keep doing things the hard way

One of my mentors in C++ will always say, it's not how good you can write code but how fast.. every code we use was once someone else's great idea it's up to you to make improvements and to be quick about it.

Another thing, having source code is not even the problem at alllll or close to it but being able to update the source code ( I'm
talking depreciated methods, depreciated SDKs, null pointer errors and some certain bugs within) technology is moving faster than people can catch up... I'll stop here for now.

2 Likes

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:56pm On Oct 03, 2021
Lol in the real world when you are given deadlines of two months to build a very complicated application you would know whether to start from scratch or not. I used to be like you when I was learning wanting to do everything from scratch but now I am much wiser. Time is money o.

8 Likes

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by Nobody: 10:58pm On Oct 03, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
Lol in the real world when you are given deadlines of two months to build a very complicated application you would know whether to start from scratch or not. I used to be like you when I was learning wanting to do everything from scratch but now I am much wiser. Time is money o.
lol, he seems to be a learner in this biz.. till he loses one or 2 promising gigs due to time constraint em eye go clear cheesy

3 Likes

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:59pm On Oct 03, 2021
Uncharted56:
lol, he seems to be a learner in this biz.. till he loses one or 2 promising gigs due to time constraint em eye go clear cheesy
As in eh.

1 Like

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by Nobody: 11:01pm On Oct 03, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

As in eh.
Coding from the scratch will give him so much errors, I mean magnitude of errors, when we are still complaining that source codes are filled with bugs.

2 Likes

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by stanley000: 1:43am On Oct 04, 2021
CodeArtist:

Maybe you don't know
Don't look for who to teach u perfect pasting, be learning from scratch Grandaddy!

1 Like

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by stanley000: 1:47am On Oct 04, 2021
tensazangetsu20:
its not his fault he's still a baby in tech. He still hasn't realize that humans make mistakes but computers don't. I need my job pasted as it, don't prove your genius I don't need that!

2 Likes

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by Cool85: 4:12am On Oct 04, 2021
stanley000:
Don't look for who to teach u perfect pasting, be learning from scratch Grandaddy!
Bro, can I get your WhatsApp contact? Here is mine 08032655418.
Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by CodeArtist(m): 9:11am On Oct 04, 2021
stanley000:
You all, are very funny
The post clearly said "if you want to be great in programming"
not
"if you want to learn programming"
In as much as it sounds meaningless to you, as for me there's no much backup than what you know how to do
I never meant it was a bad thing asking for source codes or copy and pasting
I copy and paste too
You'll be great at it when you challenge yourself to do it
Those talking about deadlines, so you're just working and then start waiting for someone who'll post something similar to yours? Lol grin
Please don't get me wrong, what you know can never be compared to what you don't know
The post is about if you want to be great in programming not if you want to learn programming
To me it's much more easier for me because once I know one , the idea of others unlocks to me, I meant no harm Thank you

1 Like

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by airsaylongcome: 9:33am On Oct 04, 2021
CodeArtist:

That's what I'm trying to say
Why stress your brain to study the code of someone else when you can create your own and it never leaves you undecided

This is outright insane. Are you saying if you get a job with Microsoft you will write Windows from scratch?

You talk about "If you want to be great in programming".... U don't seem to know that there is no champion in programming. Name "three greatest" programmers you know

2 Likes

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by Tunechi5(m): 9:34am On Oct 04, 2021
When you can look it up why stressing your brain to write from scratch even person way day code for 10years still day look things up

1 Like

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by Nobody: 9:39am On Oct 04, 2021
airsaylongcome:

This is outright insane. Are you saying if you get a job with Microsoft you will write Windows from scratch?

You talk about "If you want to be great in programming".... U don't seem to know that there is no champion in programming. Name "three greatest" programmers you know
I think he's making all this noise because he's using HTML cheesy , let him enter java or C++ where the real men play. He will change his mind by force nobody go tell am.
Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by CodeArtist(m): 9:53am On Oct 04, 2021
Tunechi5:
When you can look it up why stressing your brain to write from scratch even person way day code for 10years still day look things up
Una just dey talk off wetin I dey talk
Really off cheesy cheesy
I no talk say make una no dey look things up
The post clearly said "google to know what they're used for and how they're used "
If you don't understand
I go in peace since you're all talking off point
Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by CodeArtist(m): 9:56am On Oct 04, 2021
airsaylongcome:

Still off topic
All this for "try to code the cool thing you saw yourself, google information" cheesy
Lord of mercy grin cheesy
Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by airsaylongcome: 10:13am On Oct 04, 2021
Uncharted56:
I think he's making all this noise because he's using HTML cheesy , let him enter java or C++ where the real men play. He will change his mind by force nobody go tell am.

Let him enter C++ first! Only am go dey find existing source code by himself. All this "code from scratch" go leave hin body

3 Likes

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by CodeArtist(m): 12:53pm On Oct 04, 2021
Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by TheTraveler: 2:35pm On Oct 04, 2021
Funny thread grin

Looking things up is one of the core skills of a dev, but as a newbie I think its ideal to erase the mentality of C&P and establish solid foundation first.

That's the most important thing.

3 Likes

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 04, 2021
While trying to recreate projects on your own is a good confidence boost, I don’t think looking at source codes is entirely bad.
However a good way to learn should be to look at source codes from the angle of trying to understand the design pattern behind the program rather trying to cram it.
I always found it difficult working with DOM elements in JavaScript till I saw a DOM calculator built with the concept of objects. Then I understood just how powerful objects were. Now I find it easier storing, controlling and updating the states of DOM elements, using objects.
Looking at source codes to me should be for the purpose of understanding design patterns.

2 Likes

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by CodeArtist(m): 6:20pm On Oct 04, 2021
TheTraveler:
Funny thread grin

Looking things up is one of the core skills of a dev, but as a newbie I think its ideal to erase the mentality of C&P and establish solid foundation first.

Exactly what I'm trying to tell them
Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by CodeArtist(m): 6:21pm On Oct 04, 2021
Rgade:
While trying to recreate projects on your own is a good confidence boost, I don’t think looking at source codes is entirely bad.
However a good way to learn should be to look at source codes from the angle of trying to understand the design pattern behind the program rather trying to cram it.
I always found it difficult working with DOM elements in JavaScript till I saw a DOM calculator built with the concept of objects. Then I understood just how powerful objects were. Now I find it easier storing, controlling and updating the states of DOM elements, using objects.
Looking at source codes to me should be for the purpose of understanding design patterns.
Exactly to understand it's pattern , thank you!
Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by jesmond3945: 7:07pm On Oct 04, 2021
lalasticlala please move to front page. Which is better copy and paste or coding from scratch?
Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by LikeAking: 7:29pm On Oct 04, 2021
All of una dey correct.

God bless una.
Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by peterincredible: 7:46pm On Oct 04, 2021
@codeartist bro from my heart I think you learn faster looking other people's source code of their projects is the best ways to scale up your skill set quickly as a programmer because you will see how those things or concept you learnt while learning the language is used and even if you know how to solve that problem looking at other people's project source code will show you another diffent and even more efficient way to do it and lastly it will show you very very bad written codes and you will learn how to write cleaner codes Bros I take God beg you change this your ideology with the speed of whitemoney sorry I mean big brother naija sorry soorrrry I mean speed of light

1 Like

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by Mcfi(m): 6:50am On Oct 05, 2021
Uncharted56:
Everyone has thier own method of learning but as for me I'll always stick to this rule of "don't reinvent the wheel" and for good reason, because back in the early days of computer you have build app from the scratch when I mean from the scratch I mean you have to build your own SDK, Framework and all the necessary things needed for an app to run all from the scratch, that is what gave birth to programming languages in the first place else we would be stuck writing machine code. these days people are making it easier for programs to be coded as you don't need to first code your own custom IDE then implementimations, everything is already been done for you, it will be unwise to keep doing things the hard way

One of my mentors in C++ will always say, it's not how good you can write code but how fast.. every code we use was once someone else's great idea it's up to you to make improvements and to be quick about it.

Another thing, having source code is not even the problem at alllll or close to it but being able to update the source code ( I'm
talking depreciated methods, depreciated SDKs, null pointer errors and some certain bugs within) technology is moving faster than people can catch up... I'll stop here for now.

You have said a lot my man. You gave good and valid points. Who get ear make him hear. I actually wanted to start learning coding from scratch but as you know it is always boring and tiring. That really delayed me knowing how to code and I didn’t have a good mentor. My break through came when I started modifying people’s code during my project year and that gave me more insight on how the code is been run. Then I had someone who started mentoring me, then with the help of YouTube and google. Everybody have different wayS of learning

2 Likes

Re: If You Want To Be A Great Programmer, Stop Asking For Source Codes by airsaylongcome: 8:31am On Oct 05, 2021
TheTraveler:
Funny thread grin

He posits that to be a great programmer one needs to stop looking at source codes of others. Great programmers aren't noobs. They are mostly veterans. Bloodied in battle. And have C&P code that they have gone on to modify to make it fit for purpose. Heck libraries we use are all other peoples code. cin/cout is someone else's code in the C++ Standard Library. Should we now code how to read keyboard input?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Need A Direct Link To Download Oracle 10g Tutorial In Pdf / I Can Use Vb.net Perfectly But Pls How Can I Write A Phone Application With It / If Programming Languages Were Countries.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.