Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,829 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:05 AM

The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom (15881 Views)

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom / Nigerian Student In UK Drowns In Canada While On School Trip (Photos) / United Kingdom To Deport Nigerians On 24th March 2015 With A Chartered Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by glowithdan(m): 10:30am On May 30, 2011
Going with the hope of achieving and hiding under the quest of a better education to flee the seemingly doomed economics situation back in Nigeria, only to be hit by the reality of life abroad (UK); many till date rather find it almost impossible to contemplate coming back home, even after studies.

The global economic situation has forced even the citizens of this country out of jobs, or else do one explain the hope of a foreigner?
Statistics has it that, more than 70 percent of Nigerians that graduated from the UK universities in 2007, with expired visa's are still in the country doing nothing meaningful to themselves or or their country of domicile.

As from April, 2011, the UK government will abolish the post study visa (2 years) they give to graduates after the completion of their studies to work, or try fix in into the system (of which presently, there is no system to fit into).

One may then ask, why the rush to abroad to study, when tuition fees alone runs nothing less than 11,500 to 26,000 pounds as the case may be? This piece of information is not to lure you back from following your dreams, but serve as a mirror of what is obtainable here in the United Kingdom.

A word is enough for the wise!!
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by snowdrops(m): 10:49am On May 30, 2011
Nice one. Hope this would remind people to do their research properly and weigh their options appropriately before quitting that job on naija/applying for that uk student visa/buying that ticket.

it is not always greener on the other side.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by justwise(m): 12:19pm On May 30, 2011
I don't see many Nigerians rushing to the UK for studies this yr, the cheap route( private colleges) has been denied the opportunity to work part-time, the universities and public colleges are pretty expensive, no psw, i mean, how would average Nigerian afford to come here to study?

Though some will still give it a go and face the reality.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by snowdrops(m): 12:33pm On May 30, 2011
some use the study route as a means of economic migration never having the intention to study. unfortunately they are the reason the authorities keep making travel difficult for the genuine students.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by justwise(m): 1:09pm On May 30, 2011
snowdrops:

some use the study route as a means of economic migration never having the intention to study. unfortunately they are the reason the authorities keep making travel difficult for the genuine students.

Well. . i can't see anybody doing that now, i mean. . after paying million to schools here, i don't think anybody would want to leave that waste and go under-ground.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by snowdrops(m): 1:20pm On May 30, 2011
you are probably right. i hope if i were in the right it is only a small minority that would take that chance.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by justwise(m): 1:28pm On May 30, 2011
snowdrops:

you are probably right. i hope if i were in the right it is only a small minority that would take that chance.

Believe me many Nigerians don't know the real deal untill they get to the UK, and some Nigerians in the UK are not helping matters, they use prospective students as cash machine, tell them how they can work and pay fees and even send money home.

One agent here who thought i was interested in studying in the UK told me that i can even work with visitor's visa and save up for my school fees or that i can marry British or EU citizen to get my papers. All the emails are still with me, i'm waiting for him to come back here to say jack.

1 Like

Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by AjanleKoko: 2:04pm On May 30, 2011
snowdrops:

But they do study don't they? I mean, I have personally never heard of anybody paying the millions of naira and not showing up for classes. Besides, I think (and have said many times in the past!) that it should not be wrong to aspire for economic migration based on study abroad. It's sort of like an investment from the applicants' point of view after all. Why the UK and not somewhere else then, if it is only about getting the degree.

If the UK has taken away the opportunity for post-study work, then anybody especially from Nigeria still applying to study in the UK has got to have their head examined.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by tunnytox(m): 2:15pm On May 30, 2011
Apart from the closure of several routes to economic migration such as PSW getting the visa itself is now very much difficult. The English language requirement is not easy to achieve, many applicants may need to sit for IELTS at least twice before they can meet up with the required band score and regsitering for many of these English exams in places like Nigeria could be very diffuclt spaces get filled up like a speed of light.

I know someone who tried to register for IELTS few weeks ago in Nigeria he was told that the latest available date is in August! so I believe the UK will witness a signifanct reduction from influx of foreign students in the next few years ahead I believe there may even be a reduction of more than 50%, bad business awaits many private colleges and many will be out of business very soon.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by justwise(m): 2:24pm On May 30, 2011
tunnytox:

Apart from the closure of several routes to economic migration such as PSW getting the visa itself is now very much difficult. The English language requirement is not easy to achieve, many applicants may need to sit for IELTS at least twice before they can meet up with the required band score and regsitering for many of these English exams in places like Nigeria could be very diffuclt spaces get filled up like a speed of light.

I know someone who tried to register for IELTS few weeks ago in Nigeria he was told that the latest available date is in August! so I believe the UK will witness a signifanct reduction from influx of foreign students in the next few years ahead I believe there may even be a reduction of more than 50%, bad business awaits many private colleges and many will be out of business very soon.

That will be the case soon, the private colleges are at the worst end of it.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by b0dnel: 12:00pm On May 31, 2011
justwise:

I don't see many Nigerians rushing to the UK for studies this yr, the cheap route( private colleges) has been denied the opportunity to work part-time, the universities and public colleges are pretty expensive, no psw, i mean, how would average Nigerian afford to come here to study?

Though some will still give it a go and face the reality.

I resigned from my job, used up all my life's savings for a MSC degree, kai, UK is a useless place, IMO.

Well, thank God, am back in Nigeria with a good job and fat salary
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by justwise(m): 12:11pm On May 31, 2011
b0dnel:

I resigned from my job, used up all my life's savings for a MSC degree, kai, UK is a useless place, IMO.

You are lucky, many are not so lucky.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by beeman80: 12:38pm On May 31, 2011
Try Canadian schools please.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by tboy1(m): 12:46pm On May 31, 2011
b0dnel:

Better Job & Fat Salary with your masters right?
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by jmaine: 12:53pm On May 31, 2011
b0dnel:

It's wasn't so much a bad move, though not as palatable as you expected it to be over there . .but you know what, an average Nigerian employer considers a U.K ( inclusive of other developed countries) Cert  first in line of employment before the multitude of similar degree holders acquired in the  country . .and you can't blame them for that preference quality wise  . . .You never can tell if it did not contribute immensely to your present admirable status   grin grin . . .abeg keep enjoying jare . .no place like home  cheesy cheesy
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by babeface3: 1:05pm On May 31, 2011
Have a clear aim and work towads it. That is the rule. Some are just going for going sake. shocked
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by ssemire(f): 1:19pm On May 31, 2011
I just finished my masters in UK and will be returning to Nigeria in august to start a job. My experience was not a funny one as a self sponsored student and believe they do not have job for you. if you want to travel with the belief that you will come here to work to support yourself, think twice about it. if you want to do masters, consider distance learning as you get the same certificate at the end of the study. all i know that UK is really over-rated (except for working facilities which you pay a lot for as well as the chicken and chips + burger cheesy)

1 Like

Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by nethacker(m): 1:34pm On May 31, 2011
ssemire:

I just finished my masters in UK and will be returning to Nigeria in august to start a job. My experience was not a funny one as a self sponsored student and believe they do not have job for you. if you want to travel with the belief that you will come here to work to support yourself, think twice about it. if you want to do masters, consider distance learning as you get the same certificate at the end of the study. all i know that UK is really over-rated (except for working facilities which you pay a lot for as well as the chicken and chips + burger cheesy)
lol @ d bolded grin grin
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by shadrach77: 1:35pm On May 31, 2011
ssemire:

i know you!  grin grin grin
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by 190: 1:39pm On May 31, 2011
ssemire:

Very true -- Its a wonderful experience and to be sincere, its very worth it cos nothing in life comes easy

I believe it all comes down to what fate has for you, Just as many who study managed to get Jobs after their msc, several others have not been so fortunate

If the UK is to tedious for you, then relocate else where into europe after your msc. angry

1 Like

Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by iv4real(f): 1:53pm On May 31, 2011
Right now UK is very tight. Even for the UK citizens thanks to the conservative government with all their cuts and VAT and NI increase. If you are going on scholarship its not so bad to study in the UK . If you are self sponsored ,paid half of your fees with the hope of working and completing the fees and saving upkeep money then u should prepare yourself for first class suffer. If you have a job in Nigeria , please don't reisgn to go and do masters, instead keep your job and do your masters in Nigeria. If you don't have a job then you can leave and go for masters. Right now 60% of masters graduate are jobless. If you complete your masters and do not have family or friends to leave with in the UK, try and come home. Doing part time jobs and paying your rent and bills and even trying to care of your self will be not be easy at all but if you can cope with the suffer no problem.

2 Likes

Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by TeeJay6(m): 1:56pm On May 31, 2011
iv4real:

Right now UK is very tight. Even for the UK citizens thanks to the conservative government with all their cuts and VAT and NI increase. If you are going on scholarship its not so bad to study in the UK . If you are self sponsored ,paid half of your fees with the hope of working and completing the fees and saving upkeep money then u should prepare yourself for first class suffer. If you have a job in Nigeria , please don't reisgn to go and do masters, instead keep your job and do your masters in Nigeria. If you don't have a job then you can leave and go for masters. Right now 60% of masters graduate are jobless. If you complete your masters and do not have family or friends to leave with in the UK, try and come home. Doing part time jobs and paying your rent and bills and even trying to care of your self will be not be easy at all but if you can cope with the suffer no problem.
Are you commending the Lib-con for this or you are deriding them? wink
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by duduspace(m): 1:57pm On May 31, 2011
In the midst of superflous abundance some people do hunger while in the midst of intense drought, some folk do exceedingly prosper. All we can do as humans is to strive to manifest the latter and not the former and hope that god/favour/luck/time and chance favour us. Whichever of them you choose to believe in. None of them offer any iron clad guarantees and that is why I find life interesting.  grin grin
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by Nobody: 2:08pm On May 31, 2011
duduspace:

In the midst of superflous abundance some people do hunger while in the midst of intense drought, some folk do exceedingly prosper. All we can do as humans is to strive to manifest the latter and not the former and hope that god/favour/luck/time and chance favour us. Whichever of them you choose to believe in. None of them offer any iron clad guarantees and that is why I find life interesting.  grin grin

The best comment I've read on nairaland,
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by hermosa(f): 2:13pm On May 31, 2011
one word CHINA, jokes aside.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by 1soul(m): 2:23pm On May 31, 2011
Hi all, I'm a fresh graduate of Urban and Regional Planning from Federal University of Technology Yola in Nigeria, I'm presently making arrangements to travel to Scotland for an Msc in Project Management, Robert Gordon Uniiversity to be precise. I intend to pay the complete tuition fees on enrollment. Will u advice me to go ahead when all i'll be having left on arrival will be a little less than 2000 pounds to carter for my cost of living? Will I be able to foot/maintain my cost of living by doing any casual job while schooling as regards the 20hrs/week stipulated for "Tier 4" Universities?
Please I need advice, though I don't plan to stay back there after graduation, I just need my Msc in that course and a foreign one at that, I will be rounding up my NYSC by June Next year and hope to leave by September same year, A friend in Scotland told me its possible but i still need your candid advice on the issue, Expecting your response!
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by abenipa(f): 2:47pm On May 31, 2011
Hmmn, my brother, may the almighty God guide you. As you have no intention of staying over when you are through with your studies, it won't be difficult; hopefully, you still have the same resolve after you are through with your Masters programme. Truth is you need to weigh your options properly. If there are other universities that are offering this same course in other countries, try and explore it. It's like the UK government is on a mission to prohibit foreigners from coming into the country to work; they're willing to accept all that money that will be paid for the Msc course but after that, they want you out. There are other places that will offer you admission and desire your presence after you are through with your study because they want your expertise.e.g. Canada or even Australia (this one far sha). The thing is even in the toughest countries, Nigerians always manage to sort out themselves well well but it does helps to do your course, gain some experience and exposure and come back to Nigeria and hopefully, get a well deserved job. Sadly or fortunately (depending on how you see it), that foreign qualification counts for you in Nigeria so just weigh your chances.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by LongOne1(m): 2:53pm On May 31, 2011
1soul:

Hi all, I'm a fresh graduate of Urban and Regional Planning from Federal University of Technology Yola in Nigeria, I'm presently making arrangements to travel to Scotland for an Msc in Project Management, Robert Gordon Uniiversity to be precise. I intend to pay the complete tuition fees on enrollment. Will u advice me to go ahead when all i'll be having left on arrival will be a little less than 2000 pounds to carter for my cost of living? Will I be able to foot/maintain my cost of living by doing any casual job while schooling as regards the 20hrs/week stipulated for "Tier 4" Universities?
Please I need advice, though I don't plan to stay back there after graduation, I just need my Msc in that course and a foreign one at that, I will be rounding up my NYSC by June Next year and hope to leave by September same year, A friend in Scotland told me its possible but i still need your candid advice on the issue, Expecting your response!

Well, it is a risk, but from my experience, one worth it. I was one of the lucky ones who like you, came from a Federal University of Technology to study a Masters here immediately after Youth Service and on completion, got a Graduate level job.

I paid all my fees before I came, and was able to support myself through a part-time job I got with my University. Things are difficult here, but on occasions when I was financially down and red-eyed, my parents were able to help me. I cannot lie to you, it was not an easy experience, I lost most of my hair, as a result of the stress it took balancing working with studying. The occasional late-night warehouse/factory jobs, coupled with lectures in the morning, coffee helped a lot.
Like I said, it is hard, but it is possible. Only you can make that choice, you need to expect the best, but prepare yourself for the worst. Whatever you decide to do, do not look back.

Having said this, my post-study visa runs out at the end of this year, and though my Company promised to sponsor me, with Cameron’s new laws, not sure yet. Any, which way, it has been an interesting experience and can’t wait to apply my knowledge back home whenever that may be.
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by zmurda(m): 2:58pm On May 31, 2011
1soul:

Please I need advice, though I don't plan to stay back there after graduation, I just need my Msc in that course and a foreign one at that,  I will be rounding up my NYSC by June Next year and hope to leave by September same year,  A friend in Scotland  told me its possible but i still need your candid advice on the issue,  Expecting your response!

I have been living in Scotland on and off for the past few months on business. Needless to tell you this, it is one of the more expensive places in the UK.
My piece of advise for you is this, if you don't have the money to cater for yourself, don't dabble into it.
You'll probably be working on minimum wage at 20 hours a week, about 6 pounds/hour which translates to around 400 pounds a month after tax. No deal. Of course you could break the law and work more than the required hours. Your academics would suffer I can assure you.

I am currently paying a girlfriend's accommodation - she lives in a student apartment, the cheaper one on Farmers Hall Lane, she says its about a hundred pounds a week, so that's 400 a month, if you are not living close to the school, you'll have to get a bus pass about 40 pounds a month on student discount. You could pair with another student outside the accommodation to reduce costs, most Landlords don't allow this. . . Then you have to

Then you have to eat, you can live on burger and KFCs, its not cheap don't get it twisted. Or you can cook and probably get your feeding down to 100 bucks a month. Please don't tell me you drink, alcohol is frigging expensive in the UK. In all you probably looking at spending about 600 bucks a month to be comfortable.

I think you should not rely on working to pay your living expenses. But then you might be able to scrape through. I'll tell you this, the hustle is hard. Very hard.
Can you apply for PTDF scholarship? I think they are about scrapping it. . .
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by LongOne1(m): 2:58pm On May 31, 2011
duduspace:

In the midst of superflous abundance some people do hunger while in the midst of intense drought, some folk do exceedingly prosper. All we can do as humans is to strive to manifest the latter and not the former and hope that god/favour/luck/time and chance favour us. Whichever of them you choose to believe in. None of them offer any iron clad guarantees and that is why I find life interesting.  grin grin

Word man!
190:

Very true -- Its a wonderful experience and to be sincere, its very worth it cos nothing in life comes easy

I believe it all comes down to what fate has for you, Just as many who study managed to get Jobs after their msc, several others have not been so fortunate

If the UK is to tedious for you, then relocate else where into europe after your msc. angry

True, you need to shine your eye, the naija way
Re: The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom by DaDoctor: 3:34pm On May 31, 2011
LMAO, VERY SERIOUS SITUATION,

MOST OF THEM COME BACK HERE STILL NO JOB, WHEREAS THEY LEFT THEIR PREVIOUS JOBS FOR THE PURSUIT.

MY COLLEGAUE JUST CAME BACK AND IS STILL SEARCHING.

WHAT A PITY

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Residents, Motorists Excited As Apapa Gridlock Eases Off / Hyundai Car Loses Control In Ikorodu, 3 Wounded / 41 Nigerians Deported From Germany, Switzerland, Four Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.