Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,501 members, 7,781,522 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:07 PM

Is Smoking A Sin? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Smoking A Sin? (27228 Views)

Is SMOKING A SIN / Daddy Freeze: "Smoking A Cigarette Is Unhealthy, It Is Not A Sin" / Pastor Arinze Okoli Mmaduabuchi: "Gay Is Not A Sin” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Silentmoni(m): 12:14pm On Oct 10, 2021
God's advocate welldone sir,since its not what goes in that matters go and drink poison and die make u go sitdown with GOD...mugu
Kobojunkie:
The God that made that body said you lie. This since He made it clear over 2000 years ago that it is not what you ingest that defiles you(sin). It is instead what comes out of what you have stored up inside of your heart that does so. undecided

Whether you smoke or not, that body of yours will die when it is time for it to die and rot. God is not particularly concerned about the human body in the way you seem. What matters is whether or not you obeyed God's teaching and commandments to you through Jesus Christ or not. Your eating and smoking history has nothing to do with anything. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by okwusdaddy: 12:15pm On Oct 10, 2021
Just read you bible.Anything that is considered a sin is written there.For me its not a sin becuase its not written in the bible.

Rather what Jesus said was it is not what you take in that constitutes sin but what comes out from your hearth

Murder ,Wickedness,Adultery,drunkeness,foolishness,gluttony etc.

There is this woman who has done five abortions but she always condeming those who smoke.You are killing innocent people and you are there condemning someone that smokes.

Most of the most evil people that have ever existed do not even smoke.Not smoking does not even make you a good person.

But if you have started it please don't.

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by TheOmoney(m): 12:15pm On Oct 10, 2021
Forget all these responses.... Biblically IT'S NOT BAD......because smoking isn't as old as the Bible.

Smoking is being considered bad here (especially 9ja) because it's recorded that perpetrators of evil happen to engage in it over 80% of time due to its psychoactive stimulating features by increasing one's dopamine hormone level in d blood.....Hence altering one's judgment (A.K.A gives mind).

E nor dey Bible.....but use Ur head.

2 Likes

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 12:15pm On Oct 10, 2021
baralatie:

The human body is called the temple of God.and you say God is not interested?
Do you listen to this God at all or does what He actually says to you not matter at all? undecided

God told you in Matthew 15 vs 10 - 20 that it is not what you eat or ingest from the outside that defiles you- causes you to sin against Him- but instead what is already stored up in your heart that does. undecided

Sin is disobedience of God's actual commandments to you and keeping your body clean and pure is not one of God's commandments. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by baralatie(m): 12:16pm On Oct 10, 2021
dontai:
Jesus even turn water to wine, but our fanatical Christian over here will claim it's not acholic. Like they are the MC that tasted the fine wine.
Is the wine Ogogoro,Gulder,Don Simon or Stout?
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by EngrchidiG25(m): 12:17pm On Oct 10, 2021
Your Pastor dey smoke abi just imagine your question health wise is bad
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 12:18pm On Oct 10, 2021
dontai:
Jesus even turn water to wine, but our fanatical Christian over here will claim it's not acholic. Like they are the MC that tasted the fine wine.
ROFLMAO
grin wink cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by baralatie(m): 12:18pm On Oct 10, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Do you listen to this God at all or does what He actually says to you not matter at all? undecided

God told you in Matthew 15 vs 10 - 20 that it is not what you eat or ingest from the outside that defiles you- causes you to sin against Him- but instead what is already stored up in your heart that does. undecided

Sin is disobedience of God's actual commandments to you and keeping your body clean and pure is not one of God's commandments. undecided
And you believe smoking keeps your body clean
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Johel(m): 12:18pm On Oct 10, 2021
Itiaba007:
Please I want to be convinced wether smoking is a sin or not. Please back up your opinion with bible verses thanks.

Smoking is not a sin hence you ain't doing it deliberately to inflict self damage or to hurt another...So long there's joy while smoking and it's for relaxation purposes without it affecting anything around you negatively then I don't think it's a sin...same as masturbation,so long you don't do it excessively damaging your sex organs,then it's not a sin.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by twodee75: 12:19pm On Oct 10, 2021
haddeylium:

Really? It's a common knowledge that sugar is a natural food and our body is built in a way it can convert this sugar into energy we need. Diabetic patients have a shortage of this insulin enzymes and have to put a watch to their Sugar intake.(The problem here is not the sugar but the diet)

There's no correlation between the two . Smoke is a poison. Smoking loads you up with toxic doses of carcinogens.
Human body is not built with an exhaust pipe or chimney unless you possess one

My grand father died at the age of 63 and he was non smoker but one of his brother died at the age of 82 and he smoked for almost 60 years what can we say to this?

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 12:19pm On Oct 10, 2021
Omoluabiii:
Are we talking about jesus christ or people?
Sin is as declared by God and Jesus Christ is His Law through whom it, sin, is defined for us. undecided
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by dontai(m): 12:20pm On Oct 10, 2021
baralatie:

Is the wine Ogogoro,Gulder,Don Simon or Stout?
here we go, Ok name it. Pepsi? No it should be 7up.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 12:20pm On Oct 10, 2021
baralatie:

And you believe smoking keeps your body clean

Again ..Sin is disobedience of God's actual commandments to you and keeping your body clean and pure is not one of God's commandments. undecided
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by ganiyud2001(m): 12:22pm On Oct 10, 2021
You already made up your mind on smoking only to come and argue about smoking. The law of God is not meant for people who are right in their own way also not for unbeliever so if you want to set ur ldol in your heart and u want argument all l want to say is you need genuine repentance that makes u surrender to christ totally by acknowledging your sin and confess ur sin and repent accept christ as your Lord and Savior

2 Likes

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by baralatie(m): 12:22pm On Oct 10, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Again ..Sin is disobedience of God's actual commandments to you and keeping your body clean and pure is not one of God's commandments. undecided
I ask you again smoking according to you is making the body clean of which you believe that God is not interested?
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Semaj77(m): 12:23pm On Oct 10, 2021
LordReed:

The cars we drive everyday are causing harm to us and the people around us as they constantly emit gases that are deleterious to our collective health yet I don't see you condemning them as sin.

The point with all this is to establish to you folk that your sin parameters are just an arbitrary concept you make up as you go for the things you want or don't want, stop fooling yourself that a god has anything to do with it. Nobody is gonna condemn you for stating you don't like smoking. I myself don't like smoking, inhaling the smoke literally makes me sick but I will not condemn someone for making his own choice to smoke, that's his business. I will maintain sufficient distance from such a person while they do it and return to close contact after, it's that simple.

With this critique , most things would not be considered sin
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by baralatie(m): 12:23pm On Oct 10, 2021
ganiyud2001:
You already made up your mind on smoking only to come and argue about smoking. The law of God is not meant for people who are right in their own way also not for unbeliever so if you want to set ur ldol in your heart and u want argument all l want to say is you need genuine repentance that makes u surrender to christ totally by acknowledging your sin and confess ur sin and repent accept christ as your Lord and Savior
That is the true state of the ops heart and decision!
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Omoluabiii(m): 12:24pm On Oct 10, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Sin is as declared by God and Jesus Christ is His Law
through whom it, sin, is defined for us. undecided[/quote]

Bro cool down and learn.
Sin is divided into two,
moral/religious sin
legal sin.
Smoking is a moral/religious sin, but not a legal sin.
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Oct 10, 2021
LordReed:

The cars we drive everyday are causing harm to us and the people around us as they constantly emit gases that are deleterious to our collective health yet I don't see you condemning them as sin.

The point with all this is to establish to you folk that your sin parameters are just an arbitrary concept you make up as you go for the things you want or don't want, stop fooling yourself that a god has anything to do with it. Nobody is gonna condemn you for stating you don't like smoking. I myself don't like smoking, inhaling the smoke literally makes me sick but I will not condemn someone for making his own choice to smoke, that's his business. I will maintain sufficient distance from such a person while they do it and return to close contact after, it's that simple.

The greatest problem of most of these mediocre religious people Is "IGNORANCE, DECEPTION, MANIPULATION & HYPOCRISY" Only True EDUCATION & True Consciousness can set them free. Keep on educating and countering them. Meanwhile at the bolded.....grin

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Semaj77(m): 12:25pm On Oct 10, 2021
MaxInDHouse:

Certainly!
That's what we meant when we call something "SIN" it's got nothing to do with unbelievers like you. We are talking to ourselves!
For instance, sex between two unmarried adults is not a crime in the human society but in the congregation it's SIN!
So we aren't setting standards for you that's not within our standard only applies to those within! 1Corinthians 5:13 smiley

Sin is mainly a religious construct , although some sins may be seen as being bad or even illegal ( all 3 are actually distinct and not the same )
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Lovenorth: 12:26pm On Oct 10, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What do you think of what Jesus Christ said about those who beloved in Him drinking poison and it will not harm them - Mark 16 vs 14 - 17? undecided
Go and drink poison it will not kill you since you are a Christian grin grin grin
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by clericuzzio(m): 12:26pm On Oct 10, 2021
Itiaba007:
Please I want to be convinced wether smoking is a sin or not. Please back up your opinion with bible verses thanks.

Who bible or Koran help except pastors and imams

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by WinLABSstores: 12:29pm On Oct 10, 2021
Itiaba007:
Why are you mentioning the bible ona public forum?
Is it everyone that believes in your Bible?

Make Una dey get sense nau

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by ProfAmaben(m): 12:29pm On Oct 10, 2021
haddeylium:

Firstly, Smoking is a degrading action that harms and defiles a person’s body. Paul reminded the Corinthian that Christians must cleanse themselves of ‘every defilement of the flesh’.

“2 Corinthians 7:1 Therefore, since we have these promises, beloved ones, let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God”

It's a common knowledge that smoking is very addicting. It contains nicotine acts as a stimulant as well as a depressant. Smoking delivers nicotine to the brain quickly and repeatedly.

Smoking is lethal and being enslaved to any lethal habit that enslaves someone is not the best way to give your ‘all’ to almighty God.
Smoking kills at a faster rate than coronavirus. Averagely, 6millons people die every year because of this habit.

God teaches us to have a proper view of our life, our body, and our faculties. His Son, Jesus, pointed to this when he said:

“You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.” Matthew 22:37

Clearly, God wants us to make good use of our life and body and to treat them with respect.

If you want to learn about the true God and his promises and what he has done for us. Even, tips on how to overcome the addiction (if any). Visit JW.ORG

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 12:32pm On Oct 10, 2021
baralatie:

I ask you again smoking according to you is making the body clean of which you believe that God is not interested?
Now you are not making sense of any kind. undecided
16 Jesus said, “Do you still have trouble understanding?
17 Surely you know that all the food that enters the mouth goes into the stomach. Then it goes out of the body.
18 But the bad things people say with their mouth come from the way they think. And that’s what can make people wrong.
19 All these bad things begin in the mind: evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual sins, stealing, lying, and insulting people.
20 These are the things that make people wrong. Eating without washing their hands will never make people unacceptable to God.” - Matthew 15 vs 10 - 20
Read and properly digest God's law to you as far as your body and what defiles you/causes you to sin - disobey His actual commands. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 12:33pm On Oct 10, 2021
Lovenorth:

Go and drink poison it will not kill you since you are a Christian grin grin grin
And you are right that because I believe it won't... just as Jesus Christ said. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 12:33pm On Oct 10, 2021
Semaj77:
Sin is mainly a religious construct , although some sins may be seen as being bad or even illegal ( all 3 are actually distinct and not the same )
grin
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 12:38pm On Oct 10, 2021
Omoluabiii:

through whom it, sin, is defined for us. undecided

Bro cool down and learn.
Sin is divided into two,
moral/religious sin
legal sin.
Smoking is a moral/religious sin, but not a legal sin.
There is no such thing as moral or religious sin. There is just sin which refers to disobedience of any of the commandment explicitly given to us in God's Law to us, Jesus Christ. undecided

Smoking is not a sin because Jesus Christ never gave us rules about smoking being a sin. undecided

Smoking is instead considered a moral issue and this by society and by extension government of men. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by baralatie(m): 12:38pm On Oct 10, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Now you are not making sense of any kind. undecided
Read and properly digest God's law to you as far as your body and what defiles you/causes you to sin - disobey His actual commands. undecided
So smoking is now the same thing as food .Is smoking carbohydrates,protein or minerals?
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by DonMekino(m): 12:39pm On Oct 10, 2021
I don't smoke, and I don't think it's a sin. If you attach the health risk involved in it to justify the sin stuff, then soft drinks have been fingered as causes of diabetes which in itself is a health risk.... probably only water is drinkable and sinless las las.

Religious folks una no go kee me biko

2 Likes

Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Kobojunkie: 12:40pm On Oct 10, 2021
baralatie:

So smoking is now the same thing as food
Is this question a joke? undecided
Re: Is Smoking A Sin? by Sunnybabe(m): 12:40pm On Oct 10, 2021
Jones4190:
Smoking is not a sin, the bible says he gives us herbs for our health
the way some people reason heeen... Even federal ministry of health warns that smokers are liable to die young, go and check the statistics of people give up the ghost annually due to smoking.

Smokes damage ur body. And according to 1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Also
1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Now check this

1 Corinthians 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

So therefore

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Shalom

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? / Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? / Catholic Priest & Islamic Cleric Embrace Each Other In Minna To Promote Peace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.