Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,962 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:30 AM

Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy (25385 Views)

Olu Of Warri Visits Abiodun, Predicts Oil Discovery In Ogun / Oil Discovery In Bauchi, Gombe Will Cut Niger-Delta Political Power - Buhari / Secrecy, Doubts Trail One Billion Barrels Oil Discovery In North (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by ijustdey: 11:31am On Oct 07, 2021
CONTROVERSY has broken out at Oviri-Olomu community, Ughelli South Local Government Area of Delta State, over the compensation by Nigerian Petroleum Development Company, NPDC, for a fresh oil discovery.

Five families, including Edariese Efedjamah, Irevwiruemu, George Akanuota, Onakota and Ashe, claiming ownership of Evue/Igbighogho bushes in the community where oil was discovered, alleged that faceless persons, who claim to be leaders of the community, connived with the company to shortchange them.

At a press conference in Udu, they stated that only the five families should be paid compensation and allowed to enjoy the benefits accruable from the land.

A member of the Edariese Family, Elder A.P. Edariese said: “The five families have been grossly denied their rights to fair compensation for their properties destroyed on the land and denied all payments for loss of use of the land as well as their rights to be paid anything under the freedom to operate, both at the time of preparation for drilling and now that the company has moved into the land for drilling purposes.

“We are equally denied of our rights to job slots.

“The land is not owned by the Oviri-Olomu Community, Individuals and families own the lands. NPDC should respect the five families for decency, reasonable fairness and justice, and allow peace to reign supreme if they want to do business in the land.

“They imported strange names who have no mandate to lead or represent the community for negotiations against the cries of the five families. They refused to hearken to these long calls and cries.

“NPDC is hereby placed on caution, solemnly advised and warned never to do anything with impostors who do not have the mandate of the community to represent the five families in the acquisition of their land by NPDC for the new oil location that’s being developed.”

Edariese noted he and three others were allegedly held hostage at Wellington Hotel in Effurun, Uvwie local government area by a consultant and forced to collect N1,500,000 on behalf of his family

He said: “He threatened that if I love myself, I should collect the money. That if the lords in Oviri-Olomu community know he is dealing with me, he will be in trouble. I should accept the money.

“I accepted the money under duress. I had to sign the cheque. He said my family was fortunate because we got the larger sum and others got peanuts.”

Representative of George Akanuota family, Mr. Shedrack Akanuota, who corroborated the claims of Edariese, said: “Only five families own the land wherein NPDC is currently carrying out drilling works at the moment and not nine as it was mentioned and forwarded to them by some faceless persons.”

“They have sidelined us, yet operation is going on in this land. I do not know on whose permission NPDC has gone to carry out their operation.

“So, if they have negotiated with any group of persons before, they should know that they have negotiated with the wrong persons. NPDC need to correct it now.

“NPDC should be cautious of themselves if they are going into communities for transactions to avoid any loss of lives and properties.

“I want NPDC to take note that they have transacted wrong businesses with wrong persons. They need to correct it.”

A representative of the Irhoremu family, Mr. David Irhoremu, who insisted that only five families owned the land wherein NPDC operates, said: “They are dealing with masquerades, who parade themselves to be representative of the community.

“NPDC is working contrary to the constitution of Oviri-Olomu community. They are operating outside the constitution.

“We want to advise NPDC to retrace their steps so that there will be no bloodshed and there will be no court matters.

“We are not against NPDC operating in our land. It is a welcome development that oil is being discovered in our land. But they should follow due process.

“They should come back to the landlords, there should be an MoU so that there will be peace in the land in the community.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/10/crisis-rocks-delta-community-over-new-oil-discovery/

1 Like

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by JavaScript90: 12:12pm On Oct 07, 2021
Lol oil matters

6 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Kusheer(m): 5:01pm On Oct 07, 2021
Nigerian kill dem self because of wetin government will still come and take over

Its a shame we never wise since 1960
undecided undecided undecided

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 07, 2021
Ok

1 Like

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Eriokanmi: 5:01pm On Oct 07, 2021
Oil and wahala. I give Nigeria 20 years from now. Oil would be as insignificant as Enugu Coal.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Iremiade4u: 5:01pm On Oct 07, 2021
All you know is just oil......good nation good people bad governments

We build we design we construct ......check my signature

7 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by okpakohenry(m): 5:02pm On Oct 07, 2021
Normally. Fight for ur stomach.

3 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Nobody: 5:02pm On Oct 07, 2021
Please, help me with an explanation because this is beyond me. After 32 working days of waiting for my UK Tourist visa, my passport was returned to me without the visa and there's no explanation offered. No rejection letter or mail - no reason was given whatsoever. Is this normal and can I reapply? How. Someone help, please.

3 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by optimus106(m): 5:02pm On Oct 07, 2021
Start killing yourselves for oil.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by ecolime(m): 5:02pm On Oct 07, 2021
Oil--- The Nigerian curse.

Everybody eyes go soon clear. I only pity the next generation.

7 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by josh123(m): 5:02pm On Oct 07, 2021
Let the land pollution begins

4 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Peridotushers18: 5:02pm On Oct 07, 2021
make dey kill themself

2 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by AuthegaPRIMUS(m): 5:02pm On Oct 07, 2021

1 Like

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Etizz: 5:03pm On Oct 07, 2021
Unity is expensive, they should be happy and planning for a better life for their people but yet they are fighting... Shame

2 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by mytime24(f): 5:03pm On Oct 07, 2021
Buhari no dey use ear hear oil,

Make him no see dis news ooo

3 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by pode(m): 5:03pm On Oct 07, 2021
No be their fault, na fg I blamed for this
Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Optimistguy1969: 5:03pm On Oct 07, 2021
"Blood and oil"

Try to watch that movie

2 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Amspecial: 5:03pm On Oct 07, 2021
grin
Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by DoggoneDogg: 5:04pm On Oct 07, 2021
Lol
Black man already fighting each other because of greed of white man's largesse grin grin

This is the same way Afonjas behaved 400 years ago & ended up selling their kinsmen as slaves to the amazement of the white man.

Make white man just get patience ehn, dem go start to kill demselves soon & help him lower expenses.
Ndo.

1 Like

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by EXLOVER(m): 5:05pm On Oct 07, 2021
Greed is what is killing the blacks, they are not fighting for the betterment of the community, but for their selfish interest and pockets.

With oil in that community, they can negotiate for Julius Berger to handle their construction contracts, 24/7 power supply, clean borehole water, better hospitals, school and they should be sending some youths abroad every year for schooling, and create employment for people in the community...Etc

But blackman will always be blackman they only think of today, they will even eat food ment for tomorrow. A Saudi Arabian company just bought Newcastle, same oil money

Killing themselves, the blood of the innocents will start hurting the progress of the people.... The black race is cursed

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by graphics104: 5:05pm On Oct 07, 2021
cool
Na so. Naija wen no dey use eye see oil.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Asour: 5:06pm On Oct 07, 2021
Eriokanmi:
Oil and wahala. I give Nigeria 20 years from now. Oil would be as insignificant as Enugu Coal.

I guess they want to 'cash' out before the 20 yrs elapses.

1 Like

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Vinnie2000(m): 5:06pm On Oct 07, 2021
Hmmm..
This is Gonna be Bloody somehow.. sad

Urhobo pple wen Like Money pass Anything so oo.. kiss undecided
Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by DropsMic(m): 5:06pm On Oct 07, 2021
Blacks
Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Sabadon(m): 5:06pm On Oct 07, 2021
A supposed blessing turning to cause

2 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Angelfrost(m): 5:06pm On Oct 07, 2021
Eriokanmi:

20 Years is too far...

It's a shame this nation has refused to outgrow the so called "Oil Boom"!... Even nations without oil are doing far better economically.

Mental laziness is a terrible thing to behold among leaders and citizens! Poor Sleeping Giant of Africa!

7 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Odjirigho: 5:06pm On Oct 07, 2021
Our oyel

3 Likes

Re: Oil Discovery In Oviri-Olomu, Delta State Sparks Controversy by Bblam: 5:07pm On Oct 07, 2021
Eriokanmi:
hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Have Been Doing Odd Jobs So I Can Invest Into My Music Career - Ozonna Soludo / 2019: PDP Governor Plots With Buhari’s Men - Tribune / Recent Nigerian Politics In Funny Meme Collections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.