Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,326 members, 7,780,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:04 PM

Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare (5223 Views)

INEC Official Result - Amosun Declares as Winner Of Ogun State Guber election / Ogun: Amosun At The Gate / Rochas Okorocha Declares Free Education For All In Imo State At Inauguration. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by Nobody: 12:35am On May 31, 2011
The new Ogun State Governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, on Sunday declared free education both at primary and secondary schools and free healthcare in the state.

Speaking in his address shortly after the swearing in, the new governor, who disclosed that the free healthcare in the state would be for children under five years and for the aged from 70 years, also announced free antenatal care for pregnant women in the state.

He also said the Gateway International Stadium Ijebu Ode should be named after Otunba Dipo Dina.

Twenty per cent of the state budget, he said, would be devoted to education.

He also gave directive for the reduction of tuition fees in all tertiary institutions, adding that all fees for registration of candidates for Senior Secondary School Certificate Examinations in West African Examinations Council and National Examinations Councils would henceforth be paid by the state government.

Towards ensuring sanity in schools in the state, Amosun said Education inspectors would be returned to schools in the state.

He instructed that the state owned radio and television station should be changed to its former named of Ogun Radio and Ogun Television under the state broadcasting corporation services.

Amosun, who appealed to traditional rulers in Ogun State not to give him chieftaincy titles during his tenure, stated that such titles should be deferred till after his tenure.

“If after my tenure, I am able to serve the people conscientiously and satisfactorily and the people are all pleased with my performance, then after my tenure I can be given chieftaincy titles,” he stated.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201105306311518
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by jason123: 12:38am On May 31, 2011
Where are these Governors (Rochas and Amosun) going to get the money from?? All of them are just shouting "FREE EDUCATION" as if teachers are just going to work without getting paid. SMH @ the lack of planning or better still, deceit!

1 Like

Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by jmaine: 12:53am On May 31, 2011
This free education declarations is becoming a decoy to quickly appeal to the emotions of the masses while you keep them focused based on that . . . Atimes, this free education stuffs tend to make the students very lazy cos they lack that important adrenaline scare of not wasting your parents hard earned money which makes you buckle up. . .and the parents zeal in monitoring the children also is reduced based on reason 1 , hence the usual poor performance of the students under the scheme  . . . Hopefully the current generation will make good use of this opportunity . .

As per the free health care . .hope he sustains it undecided undecided . . .all i sense is some rigorous politicking exercise by the ACN to stamp their presence and appeal into the minds of the grassroots . . a winning strategy that never fails  grin grin
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by jason123: 1:32am On May 31, 2011
jmaine:

This free education declarations is becoming a decoy to quickly appeal to the emotions of the masses while you keep them focused based on that . . . Atimes, this free education stuffs tend to make the students very lazy cos they lack that important adrenaline scare of not wasting your parents hard earned money which makes you buckle up. . .and the parents zeal in monitoring the children also is reduced based on reason 1 , hence the usual poor performance of the students under the scheme  . . . Hopefully the current generation will make good use of this opportunity . .

As per the free health care . .hope he sustains it undecided undecided . . .all i sense is some rigorous politicking exercise by the ACN to stamp their presence and appeal into the minds of the grassroots . . a winning strategy that never fails  grin grin

You just said nothing but the TRUTH. Nice one! cool
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by ektbear: 2:17am On May 31, 2011
Free education at the primary and secondary level, limited free healthcare to certain groups makes sense.

If he were promising free education up to university level or free healthcare for everyone, that would be unrealistic.
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by jason123: 2:19am On May 31, 2011
ekt_bear:

Free education at the primary and secondary level, limited free healthcare to certain groups makes sense.

If he were promising free education up to university level or free healthcare for everyone, that would be unrealistic.

What do you mean by group? Age group or what?
How come people are not asking were he will get the money from?

BTW, do you actually believe this??
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by ektbear: 2:22am On May 31, 2011
jason123:

What do you mean by group? Age group or what?
Yeah, you limit it to certain age groups or something. . . the very young and the very old, perhaps. And not all services for free, just some basic ones.

How come people are not asking were he will get the money from?

BTW, do you actually believe this??
They have a budget, right? If you are spending 20-30% of that on education, you can probably get pretty close to free primary and secondary, no?

Plus a lot of people send their kids to private schools. . . so it isn't as if you have to provide free education for all kids of that age group. Just those who cannot afford private school, right?
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by ektbear: 2:27am On May 31, 2011
Who knows, maybe their budget won't actually allow them to do it. Perhaps there will be some hidden fees here and there.

But it is good that they at least recognize the importance of ensuring that everyone gets an education. . . I don't think any state/nation/people will progress in this day and age w/o trying to educate as many people as possible.
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by zstranger: 2:57am On May 31, 2011
jmaine:

I hope you dont die in your ignorance.

The generation Awo trained are still the most educated and by far the most hardworking of all Nigerian group till this date.

Trying to draw a correlation between free education policy and individual perseverance is the 'stupidest' thing I have read in my life.

Mention one country in the developed world that doesnt have a free education policy up to the secondary school level.

What a m/o/r/o/n
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by Seun(m): 3:40am On May 31, 2011
Free education in Ogun State?  Funny.
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by Kobojunkie: 3:48am On May 31, 2011
^^^ Isn't it already free in the public schools?
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by Seun(m): 4:00am On May 31, 2011
@kobojunkie: No, they pay a variety of fees

But the title was misleading. I was tricked. Even in the article, he only promised reduced tuition and payment of exam fees.
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by Kobojunkie: 4:01am On May 31, 2011
I know that these days schools that were formally free, well  "tuition free", pay  a variety of fees. What I asked is aren't the schools still tuition free?
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by jmaine: 4:25am On May 31, 2011
zstranger:

I hope you dont die in your ignorance.

The generation Awo trained are still the most educated and by far the most hardworking of all Nigerian group till this date.

Trying to draw a correlation between  free education policy and individual perseverance is the 'stupidest' thing I have read in my life.

Mention one country in the developed world that doesnt have a free education policy up to the secondary school level.

What a m/o/r/o/n

Stop being stvpid and don't give me that outdated Awo line  . . . what year are we in goblin . . . what is the current state of our value system Cow  . . . My NYSC service year in Osun state exposed me to the manner the present crop of students view free gestures especially from the government  . . . Oyinlola free WAEC fees to all SSCE candidates in the state yielded very poor results and my little survey proved that the students enthusiasm to study was very low cos they felt their parent were not responsible for their fees hence they won't be hammered if they performed poorly  . .though there were a minority who took the government gesture serious and as corp members we encouraged them  . . .

The Osun state government noticing this serial descending new low performance . . decided to put in a check that  . .  For any student to qualify for the WASSCE free fees . . it is mandatory for them to pass their Mock exams ( even with a low benchmark) and hell was let loose cos it took them unawares  . . .we all knew what happened next which was not a surprise . . . And please always do away with your egoistic Awo reference . . .  Am a Yoruba man  . .but i don't patronize all those tribal supremacist Awo staunts being brandished on nairaland on a daily basis . . .Now, kindly excuse me  cool
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by aloyemeka1: 4:54am On May 31, 2011
jmaine:

As per the free health care . .hope he sustains it  undecided undecided . . .all i sense is some rigorous politicking exercise by the ACN to stamp their presence and appeal into the minds of the grassroots . . a winning strategy that never fails  grin grin

5 gbosas for you. Where will Rochas and Amosun get the money to finance free education?. By raising taxes or what?
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by EkoIle1: 5:51am On May 31, 2011
What do we have here? The usual suspects peddling their negative and comedic routines.

They are not part of any government, they have zero access to any state's plans, policies, financial outlook, projections and disbursements, but as usual, they have their mindless negative assessment about everything under the sun.

How they come up with their negative scenarios about what they know nothing about and what's yet to be implemented or access in real time beats the hell out of me. It's either they have crystal balls, have metaphysical powers or they are just clueless nuisance yapping at the mouth just to hear themselves talk.

Obviously, some people are just born sadists, nothing makes them happy and they see nothing good in themselves and other people and their ability to do something for their fellow man.

People who project negativity typically have low self-esteem. They feel badly about themselves, and their negativity is simply a reflection of those feelings.

HENDRIE WEISINGER
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by Ikengawo: 6:37am On May 31, 2011
where will they get the money?

TAX.
the nigerian people need to pay TAX. a people that don't pay TAX are owed no favor by the government, it's not your mother.

pay TAX and no child in nigeria will pay for school. lets get serious as a people
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by ektbear: 8:19am On May 31, 2011
aloy/emeka:

5 gbosas for you. Where will Rochas and Amosun get the money to finance free education?. By raising taxes or what?

They should raise taxes if necessary. . . whatever it takes.

I dunno about the UK, but here in the US we have free education (well, it isn't quite free, nothing in life is really free. The money for the schools comes from property taxes.)

There are some minimum basic things that a government must provide for the people. And imo education (at least up to primary school and ideally also secondary school) has to be one of those things.
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by tennyinfo: 11:06am On May 31, 2011
jason123:

Where are these Governors (Rochas and Amosun) going to get the money from?? All of them are just shouting "FREE EDUCATION" as if teachers are just going to work without getting paid. SMH @ the lack of planning or better still, deceit!

Where does the Trillion looters get the money from. Think, the money exists, if only it can be properly channelled.
There are millions of ways to achieve resounding government objectives.

Out of all he said, I only disagreed with the reversal of name of Gateway Radio and Television to Ogun Radio and Ogun Tv. He is so shortsighted about this decision and so sentimental. he needs to thread with care.
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by tunnytox(m): 11:09am On May 31, 2011
A very sensible move, as for those who are still doubting the ability of the state govt to deliver this promise I don't blame you your sense of reasoning must have been seriously altered by 8 years of PDP rule. Just wait and see, you will be amazed what the amount of money the past PDP govt siphoned into private pockets could have achieved to improve the lives of Nigerian citizens
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by monopolist: 11:15am On May 31, 2011
free education and free health care is possible at all levels by the spirit of god in man
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by houvest: 11:21am On May 31, 2011
Why folks think that free education is not possible to secondary level beats me. My only addition is that it should be free qaulity education not free-anything-goes-education.
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by Gbawe: 11:24am On May 31, 2011
tunnytox:

A very sensible move, as for those who are still doubting the ability of the state govt to deliver this promise I don't blame you your sense of reasoning must have been seriously altered by 8 years of PDP rule. Just wait and see, you will be amazed what the amount of money the past PDP govt siphoned into private pockets could have achieved to improve the lives of Nigerian citizens

Thank you. I find it really amusing that many Nigerians remain so naive as per the amount of money being looted from Nigeria daily. Simply mind-boggling !!!! We have our armchair economist on Nairaland saying what is possible and what is not based on entirely wrong premises of how Nigeria works in reality. Even 5% of what is looted can be extremely transformational for our Nation. Free education to secondary school level and some doubt the feasibility? I laugh? Free health care for those most in need is now a difficult concept to aspire to ? I laugh again. When "poor" Ghana has successfully pioneered somewhat free healthcare ( for non-complicated health problems) with their NHIL scheme we dey here dey ask if funds are available?

Ogun can do it and Ogun State will do it. Those who enjoy speaking , for the sake of it, and without an appreciation of the fiscal reality on the ground, will see these things achieved in testimony to what many political analysts have always stated as per political will being the most required quality for the achievement of progress.
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by vinooh: 11:27am On May 31, 2011
nigeria is changing to good wahoo,now is struggle to perform better not struggle to steal public fund, thank God
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by aieromon(m): 11:28am On May 31, 2011
I believe a comprehensive survey must have been done before these decisions were shared to all the critics.How can someone ask where the money will come from?smh
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by Nobody: 11:34am On May 31, 2011
Eko Ile:

What do we have here? The usual suspects peddling their negative and comedic routines.

They are not part of any government, they have zero access to any state's plans, policies, financial outlook, projections and disbursements, but as usual, they have their mindless negative assessment about everything under the sun.

How they come up with their negative scenarios about what they know nothing about and what's yet to be implemented or access in real time beats the hell out of me. It's either they have crystal balls, have metaphysical powers or they are just clueless nuisance yapping at the mouth just to hear themselves talk.

Obviously, some people are just born sadists, nothing makes them happy and they see nothing good in themselves and other people and their ability to do something for their fellow man.

People who project negativity typically have low self-esteem. They feel badly about themselves, and their negativity is simply a reflection of those feelings.

HENDRIE WEISINGER

classic! lipsrsealed
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by yahuzkhan(m): 11:37am On May 31, 2011
dats a nys psychological statement, tnk God am a psychologist
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by scopusng(m): 11:58am On May 31, 2011
Those of you who still think that free education is not feasible are just been naive. 3 gbosa to late Ambrose Ali
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by reindeer: 12:15pm On May 31, 2011
tennyinfo:

Where does the Trillion looters get the money from. Think, the money exists, if only it can be properly channelled.
There are millions of ways to achieve resounding government objectives.

Out of all he said, I only disagreed with the reversal of name of Gateway Radio and Television to Ogun Radio and Ogun Tv. He is so shortsighted about this decision and so sentimental. he needs to thread with care.

Thank you for this answer.Lagos has been doing free healthcare for children under 14years for quite a while now so its not news.
I know the years of bastardization by poor governance has blinded people to possibilities. If you can imagine how much is being stolen every blessed day in the country then it shouldn't be so hard to see where the money for these projects will come from. Open your mind.believe.
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by tayoTFC(m): 12:25pm On May 31, 2011
@ Haters,
if the Amosu like let him borrow money to finace is budget ( free education and free health care service) it administration  will be 100% better than PDP run away x-governor that borow money from various Bank and keep it ih his private pocket with his PDP cohort,
However, remember ogun and lagos share the same bandry. it will be  easy for Ogun ( Amosu) .
1, to  pool resources with lagos-  Fashola  to for a common goal in other to better ppl life the the two state. ( BRT can run from sagamu to ikorodu to island)  to assist some of my staff member that work in island but prefer to stay is sagamu.
2. to liase with fashola /ACN to fasten his administration in Internal revenue   generation service.
3. share ideal , vision, mission together as well as means of achiving them.
4.incucate some of the Lagos state ACN/ Fashola Administration policy. expecialy in the area of social infrastrutural facilities
5. economic development and job creation , PSP,LASMA LAWMA,HIGWAY MANAGERS ,LAMATA,LASEMA,LASSA,KAI,CDS, ETC

OGUN o ni baje ooo, omo ogun ise yaaaaaa, UP ACN democrazy for justice,
in the light of the above if he Amosu NEED to borrow money to achive this his administration will be 100% far better that OGD /Akala that has nothing to show for both the monthly allocation , IGR, and loans.
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by DonShark(m): 12:32pm On May 31, 2011
What is the problem with some Nairalanders who are asking where these governors will get the money to bankroll their manifesto?Because our former governors have squandered the monetary allocation given to their states,people are now skeptical over the fact that Ibikunle and Rochas will do as they have said.Nairalanders,these people are getting a lot of money from the federal government and also the internally generated revenue.I believe these incoming governments will judiciously utilize their huge but small allocations.Thank you.
Re: Ogun: Amosun Declares Free Education, Healthcare by otitokoro1: 1:03pm On May 31, 2011
Free education is the cheapest form of education and it always lead to ignorance and non functional education, I doubt if this people count their cost before making this declaration. This is the beginning of their failure, put their word straight I think what they meant to say is subsidized education.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photos: Meet The Gorgeous Young Wife Of Emir Of Daura / EFCC Sealing Diezani Madueke's Home (Photo) / "May God Fogive Me" - Buhari’s Supporter Apologises After Seeing His Post (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.