Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,954 members, 7,806,762 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi (15959 Views)

Pandora Papers: I Am Yet To Receive Invitation From EFCC – Peter Obi / Pandora Papers: I Have $15 Million In Offshore Accounts - Peter Obi / I Didn't Violate Any Law - Peter Obi On Pandora Paper (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by ogododo: 10:12pm On Oct 07, 2021
Former Anambra State Governor and Peoples Democratic Party, PDP,  Vice Presidential Candidate in the 2019 election, Mr Peter Obi, has reacted to a media report that he breached Nigerian laws by engaging in secret businesses set up in tax havens, insisting that he broke no law.

An online publication quoting Pandora Papers had listed Obi as one of those personalities who clandestinely set up and operated businesses overseas, including in notorious tax and secrecy havens in ways that breached Nigerian laws.

The Pandora Papers is a leak of about 12 million documents that revealed hidden wealth and tax avoidance by some of the world’s rich and powerful.

But reacting to this Thursday, Obi said it was exhilarating that nowhere in the article was he accused of any form of corruption, whether in the form of diversion of public funds or in any other manner during and after his stewardship as the governor of Anambra State.

According to him, the publication did not also allege that he had been engaged in unlawful business ventures at any time whatsoever, adding that his understanding was that the allegation bordered more on tax avoidance and non-declaration of some jointly owned assets.

He also wondered if thorough scrutiny and appreciation of all the facts and circumstances surrounding the alleged transactions were made by the writers.

On the allegation that he violated the Nigerian Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act, as well as sections of the 5th Schedule to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), by not declaring any alleged assets in Companies registered outside the Nigerian Federation, Obi said the authors displayed ignorance on matters of Trust and International Investment Practices.

The former governor said he did not in any respect whatsoever violate any law before, during and after his stewardship as the Governor of Anambra.

He added that in all matters relating to his investments and declaration of his personal assets, wherever they may be found, he proceeded, pursuant to professional opinions and advice of investment experts both locally and internationally.

Obi said he also engaged and acted on solicited advice by reputable legal practitioners on whose opinion he relied.

He urged all well-meaning persons to see through what he called “the hopeless sleight and ignore the publication”.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/10/pandora-papers-i-broke-no-law-%E2%80%95-peter-obi/amp/

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by LegendHero(m): 10:19pm On Oct 07, 2021
”According to him, the publication did not also allege that he had been engaged in unlawful business ventures at any time whatsoever, adding that his understanding was that the allegation bordered more on tax avoidance and non-declaration of some jointly owned assets.”

See the nonsense Obi Pandora is saying. He even admit non-declaration of some jointly owned assets lol. If Nigeria is a working country, they should have invited the man by now to now tell the law when they start accepting ignorance.

You were also operating a foreign account while being an elected government. Rubbish and nonsense.

73 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by Nobody: 10:22pm On Oct 07, 2021
LegendHero:
”According to him, the publication did not also allege that he had been engaged in unlawful business ventures at any time whatsoever, adding that his understanding was that the allegation bordered more on tax avoidance and non-declaration of some jointly owned assets.”

See the nonsense Obi Pandora is saying. He even admit non-declaration of some jointly owned assets lol. If Nigeria is a working country, they should have invited the man by now to now tell the law when they start accepting ignorance.

You were also operating a foreign account while being an elected government. Rubbish and nonsense.

He broke no law Mr. Ethnicity and tribal blindness can make even those that claim to live in developed civilization look stupid.

There is no constitutional clause that mandates him to declare jointly owned assets. If such clause exist it is like scaring investors away because there are silent investors who will never want to be known.

Nigeria wants foreign investment, and same foreign countries wants investment from other nations even Nigeria.

Is it not selfishness and wickedness to tell others to come And invest but gets bitter when others goes out to invest.

148 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by Nobody: 10:22pm On Oct 07, 2021
Submitting

1 Like

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by Vinstel: 10:25pm On Oct 07, 2021
Of course we know you didn't break any law. Children of perdition are desperate to tarnish your image because they know that the corrupt mannequin that they are projecting for 2023 is smelling of corruption from head to toe so they are desperate to paint men of integrity bad so they can say, look, no one is good in this country and use that as a justification to continue to support their corrupt mannequin.

147 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by Ademola47(m): 10:28pm On Oct 07, 2021
He should just let things happen naturally.
Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by chatinent: 10:29pm On Oct 07, 2021
Mehn
Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by Nobody: 10:29pm On Oct 07, 2021
I find the Pandora nonsense of a publication insulting.

If people who claims they are educated and have PhD could write such petty nonsense then education actually means nothing in Nigeria because if it the average baked masses won't be commenting nonsense.

Constitution provides you to declare your assets and not what you co owned with others. There are investors who wants their privacy then why must you expose them.

Secondly, Nigeria even gullible people wants foreign investment , so is it now a crime for other countries to invite Nigerians to invest in their countries?

What sort of selfish is this that you want Britain to invest in Nigeria but don't want Nigerians to invest in Britain?

Are Nigerians that educationally down and selfish?

Also Tax evasion is a crime and he hasn't seen commiting any.

Avoidance of tax through inheritance , what is inherited and decides in how to utilize it, how is it a crime to invest an inheritance in other civilization?

When greedy elites are paid to research, they always ends up hurriedly showing how myopic and empty they are and their foolish followers follows suit in showing how upgraded their stupidity now ranks.

94 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by Megatrix: 10:31pm On Oct 07, 2021
Peter Obi don't stress yourself, we know the set of evil miscreants that are behind these smear campaign. Don't worry, God will vindicate you.

86 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by Rugaria: 10:31pm On Oct 07, 2021
If you know the Obi family, you will know Peter Obi story. Obi ran a family business and made it a huge success story.
Dude was made before getting involved in politics and needed to keep his cash away from the Fulani EFCC and co. They want him to declare every penny from his family business so they can confiscate everything with their fake fight against corruption

92 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by TheSupleemLeada(m): 10:33pm On Oct 07, 2021
Obi Pandora is a big criminal, he should be in chains.

In saner climes this idiot would currently be locked up in a penitentiary.

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by SpecialAdviser(m): 10:33pm On Oct 07, 2021
Juliusmalema:

He broke no law Mr. Ethnicity and tribal blindness can make even those that claim to live in developed civilization look stupid.

There is no constitutional clause that mandates him to declare jointly owned assets. If such clause exist it is like scaring investors away because there are silent investors who will never want to be known.

Nigeria wants foreign investment, and sane foreign countries wantd investment from other nations even Nigeria.

Is it not selfishness and wickedness to tell others to come And invest but gets bitter when others goes out to invest.

You even have energy to reply political agents?

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by edmaraja: 10:35pm On Oct 07, 2021
God bless you sir, your good name can never be tarnished no matter how hard they try.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by LegendHero(m): 10:36pm On Oct 07, 2021
TheSupleemLeada:
Obi Pandora is a big criminal, he should be in chains.

Someone that should be locked up with keys thrown away.

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by ImmaculateJOE(m): 10:41pm On Oct 07, 2021
LegendHero:

grin grin
Cry me a river.

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by dizon: 10:42pm On Oct 07, 2021
The kind of politics we play in this country is satanic. People will just go out and manufacture all sorts of lies against someone just because of politics. I read the entire jargons they wrote about this man and I don't see any crime he committed in the entire long story. All I see is an attempt by desperate politicians to paint him bad.

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by dizon: 10:43pm On Oct 07, 2021
ogododo:
Former Anambra State Governor and Peoples Democratic Party, PDP,  Vice Presidential Candidate in the 2019 election, Mr Peter Obi, has reacted to a media report that he breached Nigerian laws by engaging in secret businesses set up in tax havens, insisting that he broke no law.

An online publication quoting Pandora Papers had listed Obi as one of those personalities who clandestinely set up and operated businesses overseas, including in notorious tax and secrecy havens in ways that breached Nigerian laws.

The Pandora Papers is a leak of about 12 million documents that revealed hidden wealth and tax avoidance by some of the world’s rich and powerful.

But reacting to this Thursday, Obi said it was exhilarating that nowhere in the article was he accused of any form of corruption, whether in the form of diversion of public funds or in any other manner during and after his stewardship as the governor of Anambra State.

According to him, the publication did not also allege that he had been engaged in unlawful business ventures at any time whatsoever, adding that his understanding was that the allegation bordered more on tax avoidance and non-declaration of some jointly owned assets.

He also wondered if thorough scrutiny and appreciation of all the facts and circumstances surrounding the alleged transactions were made by the writers.

On the allegation that he violated the Nigerian Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act, as well as sections of the 5th Schedule to the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), by not declaring any alleged assets in Companies registered outside the Nigerian Federation, Obi said the authors displayed ignorance on matters of Trust and International Investment Practices.

The former governor said he did not in any respect whatsoever violate any law before, during and after his stewardship as the Governor of Anambra.

He added that in all matters relating to his investments and declaration of his personal assets, wherever they may be found, he proceeded, pursuant to professional opinions and advice of investment experts both locally and internationally.

Obi said he also engaged and acted on solicited advice by reputable legal practitioners on whose opinion he relied.

He urged all well-meaning persons to see through what he called “the hopeless sleight and ignore the publication”.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/10/pandora-papers-i-broke-no-law-%E2%80%95-peter-obi/amp/

Lalasticlala Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by samista: 10:52pm On Oct 07, 2021
Obi please Ignore the detractors, they have failed already.

14 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by RiceProducers: 10:55pm On Oct 07, 2021
Oga, the people who wrote the article also said you broke no law.
-you tried to hide assets
-you engaged in tax avoidance
-if the tax avoidance is pursued, terrible things could be found out.

Forget a progression of your political career meanwhile and tidy up your books.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by tsinzu: 11:05pm On Oct 07, 2021
Peter Obi is head and shoulders above all those behind this clearly sponsored political agenda against him. When it comes to integrity, none of them is fit to clean his shoes.

35 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by Zanas: 11:13pm On Oct 07, 2021
Good man

2 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by JavaScript90: 12:44am On Oct 08, 2021
Simple

2 Likes

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by Buccalcavity2: 1:02am On Oct 08, 2021
LegendHero:

Amazing! While politicians in North America are scampering to dis-associate themselves from Pandora to limit their political liabilities, Nigerian politicians, a presidential hopeful for that matter is still bragging with it. Only in Nigeria.
Some people are even saying that he doesn't have to declare jointly owned asset to CCB. Really? So what's the essence of asset declaration if I don't need to declare a jointly owned asset? When did tax avoidance become something to brag about and you claim that you will raise revenue when you become president. From who then? Sometimes silence is rich.

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by LegendHero(m): 1:08am On Oct 08, 2021
Buccalcavity2:

Amazing! While politicians in North America are scampering to dis-associate themselves from Pandora to limit their political liabilities, Nigerian politicians, a presidential hopeful for that matter is still bragging with it. Only in Nigeria.
Some people are even saying that he doesn't have to declare jointly owned asset to CCB. Really? So what's the essence of asset declaration if I don't need to declare a jointly owned asset? When did tax avoidance become something to brag about and you claim that you will raise revenue when you become president. From who then? Sometimes silence is rich.

That’s the only thing you hear in Nigeria.

Even as an auditor in some consulting firm, you have to declare the bank accounts, stocks, financial interest you, your wife, or children has to the company let alone an elected governor of a country.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by YourhealthNG2(m): 7:10am On Oct 08, 2021
2023 elections is around the corner and media trial has started..

1 Like

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by Dejidigital742(m): 7:10am On Oct 08, 2021
Ok
If you need a content writer, SEO friendly, original content, I'm available.
WhatsApp me on 08126868696
Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by dignity33: 7:10am On Oct 08, 2021
Nigeria Media company is one of problem we have . Once Election is near and you give them Brown Envelope they will continue to paint the good person bad in Public to give the public no option but reverse to those old corrupt people. All this Pandora is all about 2023 election. i never see a place in that report that suggested wrong doing or Corruption of any kind. why won't premuimtime allowed this man to rest, many Nigeria know that Peter Obi remain one of the most clean Politician we have in Nigeria today. who are those Corrupt politician that are sponsoring all this nonsense from premiumtime. The same way Saharareport tarnish the image of Bukola Sariki when he was SP, now what do we have as a senate president rubber toy in the hand of President. I repeat Media company is as corrupt as Nigeria Politicians and this why Nigeria public keep on making a mistake in the choice of a leader.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pandora Papers: I Broke No Law ― Peter Obi by Sonnobax15(m): 7:10am On Oct 08, 2021
lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sadiya Farouq: 1.9 Million Vulnerable Nigerians’ll Get ₦38 Billion Grants / Eze Ndi Igbo Nairaland Election (voting In Progress: ) / Nigeria Grants Citizenship To 174 Foreigners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.