Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:38 AM

When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? (24347 Views)

What I Saw In The Sky In Ikoyi Today / When Last Did You See A Butterfly / Video Of Huge Whale Killed In Bayelsa, Butchered With Chain Saw Machine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by Fisiryorh(m): 11:29pm On Oct 15, 2021
I see a Butterfly Everytime I relate with mary-jane....

Really wondered if I was the only one seeing this Beautiful creatures 6 of 7 days in a week...
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by daveP(m): 11:34pm On Oct 15, 2021
Last week. They are still plenty in Ekiti State. Especially the Milky specie.

They seem scared of people that ever before though. Back when they could land on your hands....

The world bears witness of changes.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by Greystone: 11:35pm On Oct 15, 2021
Omicron007:
To be honest, I dislike insects a lot but the butterfly stands out for me.

From the visibly crafted patterns to the brightly coloured wings and the fluttering flights, the insect is a beauty to behold.

Growing up in the beautiful neighbourhood of Rayfield, Jos, I easily remember how me and my estate neighbours used to play with different species of the beloved insect on the beautiful green lawn.

However, from reasons ranging from deforestation to climate change and others, butterflies are fast becoming scarce and rare to find these days.

For a little scientific/biological background: There are more than 28,000 species of butterflies throughout the world.
These insects live and breed in diverse habitats such as the mangroves, salt marshes, lowland forested areas, wetlands, mountain zones, and in grasslands.

Butterflies tend to be habitat-specific meaning that some of the species will only be found in specific places such as only in the coastal areas or only in the mountain zones. The major role of butterflies in the ecosystem is that of pollination.

Butterflies are also called the wild indicators of an ecosystem. The reason for this is that they can provide a picture regarding the health of an ecosystem at any particular time.

Butterflies are naturally responsible for increasing the biodiversity of an ecosystem. An environment that appeals to and attracts butterflies would also be fertile for the growth of plants and serve as a suitable habitat for other animals.
Among the animals that are attracted to habitats belonging to butterflies are other invertebrates.

When was the last time you saw a butterfly?

Today as I traveled between 3 northern states
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by Kokaine(m): 11:39pm On Oct 15, 2021
I still see butterflies but the insects I stopped swing are beetles and fireflies
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by Elsueno: 11:41pm On Oct 15, 2021
Emmaomotob:
There is one reason alone, Deforestation. Even soldier ants and their iconic battalions have faded into history.

Soldier ant are everywhere( I actually had to kill alot of thier civilians recently, cause they keep biting me when I sit outside for fresh air) ....but butterflies are a bit scarce compared to do past, as for fireflies them plenty for my family house.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by SonofGod231: 12:29am On Oct 16, 2021
Kokaine:
I still see butterflies but the insects I stopped swing are beetles and fireflies
Those days,you can easily see and play with different species of butterflies in the day and see so many fireflies when you come out at night. Can you also remember seeing lady beetles and VoomVoom?
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by South123(m): 12:55am On Oct 16, 2021
Even butterflies knows that there is fire on the mountain. grin
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by West2019(m): 1:07am On Oct 16, 2021
uncle Tobi answer this question
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by Oppy2k2: 1:22am On Oct 16, 2021
What I noticed was that most of the butterfly don get accident on the highway. They have been heated by kill and run drivers. it is a pity
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by Capitalpunisher: 1:59am On Oct 16, 2021
From the day Buhari was sworn in, all the butterflies in Nigeria relocated to our stomach and to otger countries
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by PericomaNwankwo: 3:12am On Oct 16, 2021
I see butterflies everyday. I think city dwellers won't be seeing much of it.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by purples25(f): 3:40am On Oct 16, 2021
I saw many of them in our backyard yesterday. They love my backyard. And I live in the city.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by fiddzy(m): 4:20am On Oct 16, 2021
I left City for farming , its an everyday sight for me.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by witworth(m): 4:23am On Oct 16, 2021
Colorful creatures.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by baeoflife(f): 4:31am On Oct 16, 2021
I see them everyday because i have a backyard garden.They come visit my flower producing plants
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by OrdinaryNigeria(m): 5:21am On Oct 16, 2021
FreeSpirited:
Truth is butterfly is no more common, at least for me, it's being a while I saw them. I don't care anyway.
The question is, what's are the importance or essence of having butterfly around? Do they affect us or our environment in any way? What is their contribution that should necessitate their conservation?

Conservationist should educate us. To me, all these animals have life-cycle and they can't be on Earth forever. No amount of conservation policy will change that..
And what if by conservation we are even disrupting the natural plan and system that set limit to the existential cycle of certain animals and organism? Even human spp have evolved and disappeared at some point. Do we blame evolution or nature?
So, I want to put it to conservationist who say we should conserve this and that...imagine all animal spp never went on extinct, won't the world be overpopulated with animals today?
Imagine Dinosaurs were still around and no spp of dinosaur, snake, lion, whale is gone...how will the world cope with such volumnous density of dangerous spp of animals?
If u say human is the cause of disappearance of animals today? well, animals did disappear at some point, at least before earliest human civilization dinosaurs and thousands of animal spp already gone extinct, so who do u blame for that? Natural disasters?
Then since it can't be stopped, it must be part of natural cycle as well as human civilization which is blamed for decimating certain spp of organisms..About animal conservation, I feel there's so much needless noise and fuss about it.
Though we can document, keep the gene and specimen of certain animals for reserch and posterity, this doesn't require so much noise and fund as being wasted on conservation today.
Many developed country choose to conserve certain animal and leave others cos obviously they can't conserve all spp of animals..so what criteria are they employing in making this choice.?
Conservationist should address all those points and convince us why we should keep promoting conservation for a kind of animals while living others to perish
Cross pollination to enhance availability of food
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by zedegit: 5:35am On Oct 16, 2021
Butter became expensive during Bubu's era so how do you expect common fly to get the butter when it hasn't reached humans yet.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by TheOrakle: 5:46am On Oct 16, 2021
That's true. I haven't seen one since I got to Lagos.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by cardoctor(m): 6:17am On Oct 16, 2021
If na for naija, dem don chop dem finish.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by Slurity(m): 6:31am On Oct 16, 2021
Omicron007:

From the visibly crafted patterns to the brightly coloured wings and the fluttering flights, the insect is a beauty to behold.

Growing up in the beautiful neighbourhood of Rayfield, Jos, I easily remember how me and my estate neighbours used to play with different species of the beloved insect on the beautiful green lawn.

However, from reasons ranging from deforestation to climate change and others, butterflies are fast becoming scarce and rare to find these days.

For a little scientific/biological background: There are more than 28,000 species of butterflies throughout the world.
These insects live and breed in diverse habitats such as the mangroves, salt marshes, lowland forested areas, wetlands, mountain zones, and in grasslands.

Butterflies tend to be habitat-specific meaning that some of the species will only be found in specific places such as only in the coastal areas or only in the mountain zones. The major role of butterflies in the ecosystem is that of pollination.

Butterflies are also called the wild indicators of an ecosystem. The reason for this is that they can provide a picture regarding the health of an ecosystem at any particular time.

Butterflies are naturally responsible for increasing the biodiversity of an ecosystem. An environment that appeals to and attracts butterflies would also be fertile for the growth of plants and serve as a suitable habitat for other animals.
Among the animals that are attracted to habitats belonging to butterflies are other invertebrates.

Go back to village if you want to see one. Lagos has no Bush.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by Slurity(m): 6:32am On Oct 16, 2021
TheOrakle:
That's true. I haven't seen one since I got to Lagos.
Lagos has no Bush where it will be produced. Go to villages and see them in numbers
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by Jms85(m): 7:01am On Oct 16, 2021
I saw one last week.....But dey r rare to see dis days.....na foolish moths full everywhere.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by Usihyelda(m): 7:14am On Oct 16, 2021
It was 1496
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by muller101(m): 7:20am On Oct 16, 2021
Move to a natural environment you will spot lots of them there.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by shammahyaro(f): 7:49am On Oct 16, 2021
I saw one two days ago and come to think of it, they are rare now. These days I mostly see moths.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by wallrichy: 8:32am On Oct 16, 2021
So interesting too to know that Nigeria has the largest concentration of diverse butterflies in the whole world. Most are found in an area of Calabar forest, Obudu and some other thick forests of the Southern region. Butterflies are beauty to behold and also very gentle and colourful.

Omicron007:

Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by Frales6(f): 8:57am On Oct 16, 2021
I know no live close to butterfly house
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by Barsote(m): 8:59am On Oct 16, 2021
I saw a pupa gumin to my tyres this week I was like wow this thing still exist i had to remove it and put it on a flower inside my compound to continue it growth...
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by tonychris22: 10:00am On Oct 16, 2021
Omicron007:

Mehn!!! Buhari administration have sent butterflies to exile.
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by dadamicheal35(m): 10:04am On Oct 16, 2021
D last one i saw was moving to niger wit loads on its head..... Naa ororofly we dey see now
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by abat4real37(f): 10:18am On Oct 16, 2021
Everyday
Re: When Was The Last Time You Saw A Butterfly? by Alamkir: 10:19am On Oct 16, 2021
Yesterday...... Exactly like the One In the second picture

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Caption This Picture Of A Lion And Bulls / Lioness Saves Cub From Aggressive Father / Emmanuel Akala Awarded $1.1Million To Study Novel Breast Cancer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.