Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,267 members, 7,807,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:22 PM

Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos (24423 Views)

Three Men Arrested For Beating 23-year-old To Death Over Phone Theft In Ogun / Amuwo Odofin Task Force Arrests Manhole Cover Thieves / White Man Accuses Nigerian Man Of Theft In South Africa. See What Happened Next (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Nobody: 7:19pm On Oct 10, 2021
I noticed several months ago that almost everywhere you drive in Lagos, you'll notice that manhole covers are stolen even on express roads like Ikorodu Road, Lagos-Abeokuta Express road, Ikotun, Cele Express and even on the Island.

I've come to the conclusion that those responsible for the theft are scrap metal collectors and dealers popularly called "iron codemn" but the way they carry it out without anyone to challenge them makes me believe that local boys (aka omo adugbo) may be collaborating with them as you can't come from another area and steal something without involving the locals.

I wonder what the Lagos State government is doing about this as it has caused loss of lives in many cases. I am yet to hear of anyone getting apprehended for stealing manhole covers in Lagos... What is Alausa doing!!! shocked shocked

Please consider gracing the front page with this vital information...

39 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by talk2maurice(m): 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2021
grin

So much hunger in the land.
I dedicate this FTC to all those that are hungry in the land.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by chukwuibuipob: 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2021
sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by musco4me: 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2021
Ok
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by lonelydora: 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2021
Haa! I have been shouting this since.

Even in Port Harcourt, they have stolen almost all of them. They have stolen those in the newly built Artillery flyover.

All man way covers along Eneka road, Peter Odili road, Slaughter road, etc. have all been stolen. My advice to motorists is to avoid road edges when driving.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by lordopsy2018(m): 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2021
�⏺️⏹️
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by iCauseTrouble: 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2021
Not only in Lagos State but also in Abuja. Those scrap vendors are responsible for stealing it.
Those they are selling it to should be held responsible. If there is no buyer for it, they won't steal it.
Also, the government can make use of concrete to make it less attractive for thieves

90 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Samuelscott: 12:56pm On Oct 11, 2021
cheesy
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by murphyibiam15(m): 12:57pm On Oct 11, 2021
Nawa oo
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Dshocker(m): 12:57pm On Oct 11, 2021
Last year someone fell through a whole,from a bridge at tincan

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by chinchonglee(m): 12:57pm On Oct 11, 2021
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Odogwua: 12:57pm On Oct 11, 2021
Welcome to Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 11, 2021
Wahala
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by CJ310(m): 12:57pm On Oct 11, 2021
We are too criminally minded in this country. It’s the same way they steal bridge guard rails and wire mesh fences. Hunger in the land is no excuse to commit crime.

Theft of man hole covers = increase in road accidents

Theft of bridge guard rails = people/vehicles could fall off

Theft of wire mesh fences = silly people would try to cross express, leading to accident.

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by ChasinGood(m): 12:57pm On Oct 11, 2021
Messed up society i must say

2 Likes

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Druss(m): 12:58pm On Oct 11, 2021
It is a big problem.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by 4adexx(m): 12:58pm On Oct 11, 2021
That's 9ja for you.. Some will blame that on poverty

7 Likes

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by izzy4shizzy(m): 12:58pm On Oct 11, 2021
H
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Wynnah(m): 12:58pm On Oct 11, 2021
This has been a thing of concern to me personally. Thank you OP for raising this.

I hope relevant authorities will urgently do something about this because, the dangers are enormous, especially for a flood prone area like Lagos.

7 Likes

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by optimus106(m): 12:58pm On Oct 11, 2021
THOSE TRUCK PUSHERS ARE THE ONE'S STEALING THEM.

THE NORTH IS A REGION OF BACKWARDNESS!!!

23 Likes

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by NotBeenPaid: 12:59pm On Oct 11, 2021

Our London of Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by OG1BABY(f): 12:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
Okay
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by ecolime(m): 12:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
Not only Manholes, even streetlight Poles and handrails of bridges.

Those Bastards should be shot on sight when caught in the act.

Government should go beyond arresting the Abokis, the buyers yards should be raided and permanently shut.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by naptu2: 12:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
Afriqan:
I noticed several months ago that almost everywhere you drive in Lagos, you'll notice that manhole covers are stolen even on express roads like Ikorodu Road, Lagos-Abeokuta Express road, Ikotun, Cele Express and even on the Island.

I've come to the conclusion that those responsible for the theft are scrap metal collectors and dealers popularly called "iron codemn" but the way they carry it out without anyone to challenge them makes me believe that local boys (aka omo adugbo) may be collaborating with them as you can't come from another area and steal something without involving the locals.

I wonder what the Lagos State government is doing about this as it has caused loss of lives in many cases. I am yet to hear of anyone getting apprehended for stealing manhole covers in Lagos... What is Alausa doing!!! shocked shocked

Please consider gracing the front page with this vital information...

Many people have been apprehended over the years but it keeps happening because they make a lot of money from using the covers as scrap metal. There have also been several threads about it (I have created some), but the practice continues.

Some people have suggested using concrete as manhole covers, instead of metals, so that the thieves won't be able to sell it for scrap metal, but I've actually seen concrete manhole covers that have been broken.

naptu2:
For quite a long time Lagosians have complained about the problem of open manholes. These holes have caused many car accidents and deaths in Lagos. For example, look at this 2017 thread.

Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos)
https://www.nairaland.com/3912203/lamboginny-raises-alarm-over-major#58312975

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5626169_20170710113106_jpegb3254560f00a989cbef306ea9064bed7

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5626170_20170710113108_jpegf5d5ae8064a2d13127c944311dc4515b

I saw a jogger fall into one of those open holes on Alexander Avenue in Ikoyi last year. Luckily he was not seriously injured. We all remember the sad story of Adewura Bello, a young woman who was involved in a motorcycle accident on a flooded street and who was subsequently carried by floodwaters into an open manhole where she drowned (see link below).

Photos Of The Manhole That Swallowed Up Adewura Belo And Her Bike Rider
https://www.nairaland.com/5211741/photos-manhole-swallowed-up-adewura

These manhole covers, along with bridge railings and electrical cables, are often stolen by criminals who sell them as scrap metals. For example, see this thread below:

Amuwo Odofin Task Force Arrests Manhole Cover Thieves
https://www.nairaland.com/5499284/amuwo-odofin-task-force-arrests

Governor Babatunde Fashola considered using concrete manhole covers because the theft of these covers had gotten out of hand.

The Lagos State Government is currently replacing manhole covers across the state and they replaced the missing manhole covers on Eko Bridge yesterday. The question is, how will they ensure that these new covers are not stolen?

4 Likes

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by iamoyindamola(m): 12:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
Also the uncovered ones serves as hide out for criminals

6 Likes

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by ugomsinachibia: 12:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
lol
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
is lyk na jjc u be
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by beardedboy(m): 12:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
talk2maurice:
grin

So much crime and greed in the land

Corrected as appropriate.

3 Likes

Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by nanauju(f): 12:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
lipsrsealed
Re: Widespread Manhole Cover Theft In Lagos by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
Noted

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Experience With "One Chance". Share Yours / Liberian Lady Brutalized By Fiancé In South Korea Few Weeks After Engagement / Zamfara Poly Student, Victoria Alo, Hit By Highway Policeman As She Bleeds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.