Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,724 members, 7,802,185 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow (8863 Views)

Akinwumi Adesina Proposes ‘United States Of Nigeria’ / Akinwumi Adesina: U.S. Treasury Urges Independent Investigation Into AfDB Head / Akinwumi Adesina Meets John Connors, American Who Sponsored Him In School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Omooba77: 5:04pm On Oct 11, 2021
The president of the African Development Bank, Akinwumi Adesina has expressed the bank’s worry over Nigeria’s debt to revenue ratio.

Adesina, speaking at the opening of the two-day Mid-term Ministerial Performance Review Retreat at the Presidential Villa on Monday in Abuja said dmi espite Nigeria’s debt to the GDP remaining moderate at 35 per cent, the government must take decisive action to tackle its debt challenges for the economy to grow.

He said, “Nigeria must decisively tackle its debt challenges. The issue is not about the debt-to-GDP ratio, as Nigeria’s debt-to-GDP ratio at 35% is still moderate. The big issue is how to service the debt and what that means for resources for domestic investments needed to spur faster economic growth.

“The debt service to revenue ratio of Nigeria is high at 73%. Things will improve as oil prices recover, but the situation has revealed the vulnerability of Nigeria’s economy. To have an economic resurgence, we need to fix the structure of the economy and address some fundamentals.”

According to the Debt Management Office, Nigeria’s total public debt, which includes the federal and state governments, had climbed to N35.46 trillion at the end of the second quarter of 2021.

Akinwumi noted that while Nigeria faces the challenge of revenue concentration due to a mainly one-sided source, he stated that structural bottlenecks that limit the country’s productivity need to be removed for other sectors to generate revenue.

“Nigeria’s challenge is revenue concentration, as the oil sector accounts for 75.4 % of export revenue and 50 % of all government revenue.

“What is needed for sustained growth and economic resurgence is to remove the structural bottlenecks that limit the productivity and the revenue earning potential of the huge non-oil sectors.”

https://punchng.com/nigeria-must-tackle-73-debt-service-to-revenue-ratio-for-economy-to-grow-says-afdb-president-adesina/

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by ChimaAdeoye: 5:08pm On Oct 11, 2021
Omooba77:
The president of the African Development Bank, Akinwumi Adesina has expressed the bank’s worry over Nigeria’s debt to revenue ratio.

Adesina, speaking at the opening of the two-day Mid-term Ministerial Performance Review Retreat at the Presidential Villa on Monday in Abuja said despite Nigeria’s debt to the GDP remaining moderate at 35 per cent, the government must take decisive action to tackle its debt challenges for the economy to grow.

He said, “Nigeria must decisively tackle its debt challenges. The issue is not about the debt-to-GDP ratio, as Nigeria’s debt-to-GDP ratio at 35% is still moderate. The big issue is how to service the debt and what that means for resources for domestic investments needed to spur faster economic growth.

“The debt service to revenue ratio of Nigeria is high at 73%. Things will improve as oil prices recover, but the situation has revealed the vulnerability of Nigeria’s economy. To have an economic resurgence, we need to fix the structure of the economy and address some fundamentals.”

According to the Debt Management Office, Nigeria’s total public debt, which includes the federal and state governments, had climbed to N35.46 trillion at the end of the second quarter of 2021.

Akinwumi noted that while Nigeria faces the challenge of revenue concentration due to a mainly one-sided source, he stated that structural bottlenecks that limit the country’s productivity need to be removed for other sectors to generate revenue.

“Nigeria’s challenge is revenue concentration, as the oil sector accounts for 75.4 % of export revenue and 50 % of all government revenue.

“What is needed for sustained growth and economic resurgence is to remove the structural bottlenecks that limit the productivity and the revenue earning potential of the huge non-oil sectors.”

https://punchng.com/nigeria-must-tackle-73-debt-service-to-revenue-ratio-for-economy-to-grow-says-afdb-president-adesina/

Where are those people asking for more borrowing arguing that our Debt - GDP ratio was lower than America's and Japan's. While failing to mention that Japan and America were highly productive nations that did not depend on the price of crude oil and their diaspora remittances to get foreign exchange.

Those deceitful people are now silent after they misled this country into another debt trap.

The sad truth is that the debt servicing bill will continue to rise from 73% to surpass 100% of revenue in a very short period. As we continue the mindless borrowing policy based on the dubious GDP - Debt ratio.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Omooba77: 5:52pm On Oct 11, 2021
ChimaAdeoye:

Where are those people asking for more borrowing arguing that our Debt - GDP ratio was lower than America's and Japan's. While failing to mention that Japan and America were highly productive nations that did not depend on the price of crude oil and their diaspora remittances to get foreign exchange.

Those deceitful people are now silent after they misled this country into another debt trap.

The sad truth is that the debt servicing bill will continue to rise from 73% to surpass 100% of revenue in a very short period. As we continue the mindless borrowing policy based on the dubious GDP - Debt ratio.
Majority of them don't know implications of high borrowing. Let used example that will be clear from the Bible, 2 Kings 4:1-3; the son of the prophet was a High debtor.....

Hope the youth can rise to defend their future.....

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by baralatie(m): 5:53pm On Oct 11, 2021
cry
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
Ok
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by gurunlocker: 6:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
grin

Just mentioned the legendary borrower's name and shame the devil...

3 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by IMASTEX: 6:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
Grow to where?! The thief cometh but to kill, steal and destroy.

1 Like

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Nonybb: 6:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
I don't understand these people sometimes or in fact the generality of Nigerians. You are talking to a cow rearer. Just like explaining some complex situation to my 4 years old son. How can he comprehend other than suffocate his brain the more? So you people believe sincerely that Buhari understood some economic complexities? Even at only two years to go yet this people believe that Buhari has a normal brain to fix Nigeria. This is a man we complained about by 2014/2015 before he came in, he still came on board and did the damage he was being prevented from doing

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Nonybb: 6:59pm On Oct 11, 2021
Enjoy the CHANGE

6 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by OgwuEgo: 7:00pm On Oct 11, 2021
See the calibre of people I expect to lead Nigeria not empty vessels that have nothing to offer.

12 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by CaptainAyub: 7:00pm On Oct 11, 2021
Hmmm.
Thiefnuubu's online hoodlums will soon gather to abuse this man grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by SensualMan1(m): 7:02pm On Oct 11, 2021
A very sound economist discovered by GEJ. People that should be at the helm of affairs to fashion sound economic growth of the nation rather Nigerian youths esp yoruba Muslims are after a drug baron, a Lagos thief, a walking corpse to lead them. Nigeria is where it is today cos talents are not discovered but rather suppressed. Ever asked urself why never do wells in Nigeria leave the shores of Nigeria and blossom elsewhere?

In as much as I despise Afonjas, I would cast my vote for this man for the growth of that hell nation.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Quiny32323: 7:02pm On Oct 11, 2021
Sometimes I just feel these fulani guys knows what they are doing with all the money they are borrowing because it seems this country wont last more 10yrs and I wonder who will pay those money.

3 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Hezzyluv: 7:03pm On Oct 11, 2021
Sounds somehow but this quote is true.
"A borrower is a servant to the Lender"

When Bitcoin was launched in 2019, it was almost free to get 1Bitcoin. But today, 1BTC = 46,000USD.

Another opportunity is her....

ICX is selling it's icomex coin for just 0.12$.

You can DM me for more info, or login 2ru the link below.

https://www.icx101.com/site/register?ref=Hezzyluv&p_side=right
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Imustreturn(m): 7:04pm On Oct 11, 2021
They said buhari is the best
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Authoreety: 7:04pm On Oct 11, 2021
Mua gat no input in this. Thank you
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Quiny32323: 7:04pm On Oct 11, 2021
If only the senile deaf donkey will listen to him.
The donkey n his gangs have succeeded in taking us back to the donkey years and another okpolu eye that permitted this dumb shit on his kins is jostling to replace him.

2 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Enceladus(m): 7:05pm On Oct 11, 2021
APC jobbers will say the government is building infrastructures. But at what cost? Most of our revenue is spent on servicing debts. Obasanjo wasted his time clearing Nigeria's debt.

3 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by McAausim: 7:05pm On Oct 11, 2021
embarassed
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Havertz10: 7:08pm On Oct 11, 2021
Stooge

Saying nothing cheesy
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by gambia(m): 7:08pm On Oct 11, 2021
Enceladus:
APC jobbers will say the government is building infrastructures. But at what cost? Most of our revenue is spent on servicing debts. Obasanjo wasted his time clearing Nigeria's debt.

Honestly, wasted effort.

5 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 11, 2021
The issue isn't the 79% but proper management of those debts. Management is what we lack.

Chill, 73% or 79% really no difference, am not a supporter of borrowing but the debt to revenue of the US govt is at 400% and number 2 in the world, it's easy to get emotional about these things but the fact still remains that what really matters is proper management of those debts and how loans are spent and managed. The world is built on credit. Management of credit risk is what is important.

Mftivi:
oga you no understand the post you dey give opinion, which management ? Your debt service to revenue ratio is at 73% and you are talking about management, management of what ? The sad thing is that the borrowed funds were not deployed mostly into performing assets or sectors so our oil revenue bears most of the burden of repaying that loan and we are already at 73 fvcking percent.

PHIPEX:
Part of management is borrowing what you can pay. Imagine using 73% of your monthly salary to pay debt? Yet you keep borrowing for next budget. Those hanging on debt to GDP argument are killing us, very soon the govt will use 100% of it's monthly income to pay gbese. They are laying time bomb for the next govt similar to Osun state.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by money121(m): 7:10pm On Oct 11, 2021
Ok
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by smirn(m): 7:10pm On Oct 11, 2021
ChimaAdeoye:

Go and do a better research on this, no need wasting time to educate you.
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by abobote: 7:12pm On Oct 11, 2021
G
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Ajoself(m): 7:13pm On Oct 11, 2021
If you listened to Dr Adesina's speech today, you would conclude he wasn't nurtured here. He's very sound. Not our northerners that are using power to their advantage. My advice to people is that one should don't rely on the Buhari-led administration at all. I am a victim of it. I applied for dssc 28, I was shortlisted to come for training in Port Harcourt. They later dropped me after lying with my medical result. Northerners that did not even participated in the screening exercise from day one were not dropped

4 Likes

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by chaloskyx: 7:14pm On Oct 11, 2021
JUST SHUT UP FEMI WHEN YOU AND NGOZI TOOK PICTURES WITH BUBU DID YOU TELL HIM THIS TO HIS FACE AM SURE YOU DID NOT SO WE DONT NEED YOUR OPINIONS ONE NIGERIA PEOPLE ARE FINE WITH THE WAY THE COUNTRY IS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by kudinkarfe: 7:16pm On Oct 11, 2021
Our next President has spoken.

1 Like

Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Havertz10: 7:17pm On Oct 11, 2021
Ajoself:
If you listened to Dr Adesina's speech today, you would conclude he wasn't nurtured here. He's very sound. Not our northerners that are using power to their advantage. My advice to people is that one should don't rely on the Buhari-led administration at all. I am a victim of it. I applied for dssc 28, I was shortlisted to come for training in Port Harcourt. They later dropped me after lying with my medical result. Northerners that did not even participated in the screening exercise from day one were not dropped
he said nothing
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Gigadot1(m): 7:18pm On Oct 11, 2021
Telling ourselves the truth about this country is the only way out.

From false data on population = false GDP
Borrowing for unnoticed infrastructure
Borrowing for recurrent expenditure
Re: Akinwumi Adesina: Tackle 73% Debt Service To Revenue For Economy To Grow by Ajoself(m): 7:19pm On Oct 11, 2021
Havertz10:
he said nothing
Stop making baseless conclusions. I saw him making speech

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Soludo Inspects 3.341Km Akpaka-Nsugbe Road, Says APGA Keeps It's Vows / Thousands Of Hamas With Rifle Enter Israel Town (pics) / Buhari, Tinubu Move To Revive Alliance Between AC & CPC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.