Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria (21147 Views)

The Myth About Female Virginity / The Myth About Stretch Mark / The Myth About Female Virginity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Dozis: 10:12pm On Oct 11, 2021
1. Antibiotics dry up blood when you take them and so it must be taken with blood supplements. This is very wrong, antibiotics do not dry blood, ask your doctor or pharmacist whatever you need to know when taking antibiotics.

2. The white vitamin C works better than the coloured one. The difference between the coloured and white vitamin C are the colourants and sweeteners used to manufacture the latter, ordinarily vitamin C does not have a sweet taste but sweeteners and colourants are incorporated into the active drug during compounding/manufacture to improve the taste and aesthetics, that's all.
The sour or sweet taste is not associated with efficacy.

3. Anti helminthics (worm expellers) should be taken after taking sugar or sugary food.
Some people say this is done to entice the worm to come out and eat the sugary food so that the drugs can act on it. This is one of the most hilarious stuff I've ever heard as a pharmacist, however it is not true, just take your worm expeller as prescribed by your doctor.

4. The more expensive the drug the more effective it is compared to another brand of the same drug. This is not always true, most times you are just buying a name or a brand.

5. The particular brand prescribed by the doctor is always the best, doctors are meant to prescribe generics so that the pharmacist will be at liberty to select the available brand and dispense to the patient, most times the patient may not have enough money to buy the particular brand prescribed and the proper thing to do would be to dispense an affordable but effective brand, there are some cases where some patients would be walking from Pharmacy to Pharmacy looking for a particular brand that was given to them in the hospital while there are several other brands that they can purchase that would do same thing.

6. Roadside drug sellers are more affordable than pharmacies and hospitals. This particular myth should be listed as one of the thousand ways to die in Nigeria, patronising quacks is a sure way to meet your maker quickly. In every pharmacy, there are usually up to 5 brands of the same drug and their prices are always different too, this is to cater for needs of everyone, wether high, medium or low class, when you get into the Pharmacy, tell the pharmacist the amount you have, the chances are high that he has the drug you want that you can afford at that price, apart from getting an affordable and effective medication, you also get a sound drug information. Also make it a habit to go to the hospital when you are not feeling fine, don't wait till it's too late, government hospitals are still cheap in Nigeria, just go on time.

7. Herbal medicines are safer than orthodox medicines. Some people forget that most orthodox drugs are sourced from natural sources, moreover a particular plant may contain thousands or millions of phytochemicals, some medicinal and some harmful.

You can state yours

146 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 10:20pm On Oct 11, 2021
- Drugs work better when taken with water.

- Emzor paracetamol is more effective than panadol, just because panadol seems coated and not bitter like the former.

Nigerian nurses and doctors just love inflicting pain. Even if you are pregnant, they will first give you the medicine that would make you want to vomit your unborn baby. Except you go back and complain. They will na grudgingly give you something else. Tufiakwa! grin

On the part of patients.
- Once you feel better you can discontinue the drug. Tomorrow they will now say the drug is fake or malaria no gree make them treat am.

- Tablets work better than syrups. I have seen parents crush tablets for their kids because they think children’s syrups are ineffective.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Shellsploit: 10:29pm On Oct 11, 2021
Withdrawal method yet she dey belle every month shocked

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Dozis: 10:30pm On Oct 11, 2021
pocohantas:
- Drugs work better when taken with water.

- Paracetamol is more effective than panadol, just because panadol seems coated and not bitter like pcm.

Nigerian nurses and doctors just love inflicting pain. Even if you are pregnant, they will first give you the medicine that would make you want to vomit your unborn baby. Except you go back and complain. They will na grudgingly give you something else. Tufiakwa!

Lol
Panadol is a brand of paracetamol manufactured by GSK, seriously I don explain tire to people. What I now do is to tell them, "please don't take it with anything containing paracetamol because they both contain Acetaminophen" they believe that line faster because I have mentioned what they don't understand.
The warm water own, I don't even know how that one started.

https://naijapharmacist..com/?m=1
Please click on the link above to visit my blog, drop a comment or question and I will answer with the speed of light grin

15 Likes

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by pocohantas(f): 10:31pm On Oct 11, 2021
Dozis:

Lol
Panadol is a brand of paracetamol manufactured by GSK, seriously I don explain tire to people. What I now do is to tell them, "please don't take it with anything containing paracetamol because they both contain Acetaminophen" they believe that line faster because I have mentioned what they don't understand.
The warm water own, I don't even know how that one started.

True, but I noticed doctors prefer giving us the round one. I hate it. I always reject it immediately. cry cry
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 11:00pm On Oct 11, 2021
Dozis:
1. Antibiotics dry up blood when you take them and so it must be taken with blood supplements. This is very wrong, antibiotics do not dry blood, ask your doctor or pharmacist whatever you need to know when taking antibiotics.

2. The white vitamin C works better than the coloured one. The difference between the coloured and white vitamin C are the colourants and sweeteners used to manufacture the latter, ordinarily vitamin C does not have a sweet taste but sweeteners and colourants are incorporated into the active drug during compounding/manufacture to improve the taste and aesthetics, that's all.
The sour or sweet taste is not associated with efficacy.
ROFLMAO
grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Illiteracy na serious disease! undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by PraisesPblaze(m): 11:08pm On Oct 11, 2021
1. I heard it's not good to take drugs with MILK.

2. Heard that one can drink intravaneous injection liquid and it will have same effect e.g adding the liquid to coke, even alcohol (gin).

How true are these?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Mryacks: 3:19am On Oct 12, 2021
Don't swallow meds with cold water...is this true?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Dozis: 8:39am On Oct 12, 2021
PraisesPblaze:
1. I heard it's not good to take drugs with MILK.

2. Heard that one can drink intravaneous injection liquid and it will have same effect e.g adding the liquid to coke, even alcohol (gin).

How true are these?

Milk is very rich in calcium and calcium has this ability to adsorb (have substances adhere to its surface) other drugs thereby forming an unabsorbable complex which reduces the amount of drugs entering the system, so it is not advisable to take drugs with milk. This is not the case with all drugs but we just generally advise that you take with water.

Intravenous drugs are meant to be administered straight into the blood stream, so they are produced in the highest pure form and sterility. Some drugs are destroyed by the stomach juices limiting their absorption into the body so taking these drugs orally makes them ineffective.
If you can swallow an intravenous drug why not take the oral equivalent of the drug and it's not advisable to take any drug with alcohol

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Dozis: 8:47am On Oct 12, 2021
Mryacks:
Don't swallow meds with cold water...is this true?
The normal temperature of the body is about 37 degrees Celsius, so drugs are manufactured bearing this in mind, before drugs in form of tablets are released into the market, one of the final tests carried out on it is the dissolution test, this is carried out in an environment that is similar to the stomach and drugs are expected to dissolve as fast as possible, so taking drugs with cold water may reduce the rate of the dissolution. The best is to take it with normal water.

89 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by PraisesPblaze(m): 9:42am On Oct 12, 2021
Dozis:

Milk is very rich in calcium and calcium has this ability to adsorb (have substances adhere to its surface) other drugs thereby forming an unabsorbable complex which reduces the amount of drugs entering the system, so it is not advisable to take drugs with milk. This is not the case with all drugs but we just generally advise that you take with water.

Intravenous drugs are meant to be administered straight into the blood stream, so they are produced in the highest pure form and sterility. Some drugs are destroyed by the stomach juices limiting their absorption into the body so taking these drugs orally makes them ineffective.
If you can swallow an intravenous drug why not take the oral equivalent of the drug and it's not advisable to take any drug with alcohol
Thanks.
But taking drugs with coke is ok right?

I guess i can simply ask for drugs instead of injections in all treatments?

1 Like

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Dozis: 10:40am On Oct 12, 2021
PraisesPblaze:

Thanks.
But taking drugs with coke is ok right?

I guess i can simply ask for drugs instead of injections in all treatments?
To avoid stories, just use water.

20 Likes

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Matheusmartin: 10:50am On Oct 12, 2021
Injections work better than tablets.

3 Likes

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:53pm On Oct 12, 2021
Op, that your number 4 is not a myth. It's very true The more expensive a drug is the more effective it will be.
I'm talking from personal experience. It happened to me on two occasions.

One was during the lock down. I was down with malaria and typhoid. Then a chemist recommended lonart because I told him I was on a low budget. After taking it, no single relief. Same thing with the cheap typhoid drugs I took.

I then went to a big pharmacy and the pharmacist told me to go for the expensive drugs ( co
Ciprotab and pialaxin) that I should stop *pinching" money. Lo and behold before I finished the course, I was Hale and hearty.

Recently same thing happened.
I bought 800 malaria drugs. Nothing. I now went back and bought pialaxin, immediately after the first dose, I felt instant relief. So brand matters. All these smaller brands don't really work.

You want to compare becham Amoxil with other brands of Amoxil?
This one is a fact.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Dozis: 9:05pm On Oct 12, 2021
Mercychen:
Op, that your number 4 is not a myth. It's very true The more expensive a drug is the more effective it will be.

One was during the lock down. I was down with malaria and typhoid. Then a chemist recommended lonart because I told him I was on a low budget. After taking it, no single relief. Same thing with the cheap typhoid drugs I took.

I then went to a big pharmacy and the pharmacist told me to go for the expensive drugs ( co
Ciprotab and pialaxin) that I should stop *pinching" money. Lo and behold before I finished the course, I was Hale and hearty.

I bought 800 malaria drugs. Nothing. I now went back and bought pialaxin, immediately after the first dose, I felt instant relief. So brand matters. All these smaller brands don't really work.

You want to compare becgam Amoxil with other brands of Amoxil?
This one is a fact.
There are people that do not take any other anti malarial apart from Lonart (Artemether and Lumefantrine) and they get better with it, your case could be drug resistance.

108 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by NoToPile: 9:55pm On Oct 12, 2021
Dozis:

There are people that do not take any other anti malarial apart from Lonart and they get better with it, your case could be drug resistance.

I was even surprised when I saw P alaxin, I react to that drug serious nausea, the doctor then told me to stop it immediately and then sometime later it was prescribed for my mum, told her not to take it because if I react to it there's a possibility she will. She didn't listen and the exact same effect she also had to stop the drug ,no other way I can explain it than nausea but its a not so nice feeling.

Since then (more than 10 years now) we all run from p-alaxin .

its the artmeter lumenfantrine drugs for malaria that we seem to tolerate well and the cheap ones even work too.

8 Likes

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Dozis: 10:27pm On Oct 12, 2021
NoToPile:

I was even surprised when I saw P alaxin, I react to that drug serious nausea, the doctor then told me to stop it immediately and then sometime later it was prescribed for my mum, told her not to take it because if I react to it there's a possibility she will. She didn't listen and the exact same effect she also had to stop the drug ,no other way I can explain it than nausea but its a not so nice feeling.

Since then (more than 10 years now) we all run from p-alaxin .

its the artmeter lumenfantrine drugs for malaria that we seem to tolerate well and the cheap ones even work too.
Some drug side effects are idiosyncratic, ie they are peculiar to individuals, I only use P-Alaxin (dihydroartemisin and piperaquine) or its equivalent and I don't feel any side effect.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Frenzy01(m): 6:54am On Oct 13, 2021
Nice write up and educative... wink wink

Contact me for your swift buying and selling of any Dog breed. Pet care and boarding services also available

11 Likes

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by DonroxyII: 7:38pm On Oct 15, 2021
Mercychen:

You want to compare becgam Amoxil with other brands of Amoxil?
This one is a fact.
This is not true for me. I use #500 anti malaria once I see "ACT" I'm Okay. Lonart worth #2k but I will jejely ask the Pharmacy for the Brand with Lowest amount. My own jinx is that Once I use the Top amount own, my malaria Parasites go dey ask for bigger amount instead of #500 own they are used to before dem die ... It works for me.

Also, Ciprofloxacin... I go for that of #300 now #500.

For Typhoid, All I need is a brand with Ciprofloxacin. Once you enter Pharmacy, the attendant will call the Brand with Bigger amount .... I just jejely ask for the Brand of Ciprofloxacin with the smallest amount .... They will hand me that of #500# against #2k or 1+k ....

The most important is for the Drug name to be on the Carton regardless of Brand as far as It's a Reputable Pharmacy. I use to ask for the Difference between Cheaper and Expensive Brand . Pharmacy will say na "Brand" but Drug is same , So !

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 15, 2021
DonroxyII:
This is not true for me. I use #500 anti malaria once I see "ACT" I'm Okay. Lonart worth #2k but I will jejely ask the Pharmacy for the Brand with Lowest amount. My own jinx is that Once I use the Top amount own, my malaria Parasites go dey ask for bigger amount instead of #500 own they are used to before dem die ... It works for me.

Also, Ciprofloxacin... I go for that of #300 now #500.

For Typhoid, All I need is a brand with Ciprofloxacin. Once you enter Pharmacy, the attendant will call the Brand with Bigger amount .... I just jejely ask for the Brand of Ciprofloxacin with the smallest amount .... They will hand me that of #500# against #2k or 1+k ....

The most important is for the Drug name to be on the Carton regardless of Brand as far as It's a Reputable Pharmacy. I use to ask for the Difference between Cheaper and Expensive Brand . Pharmacy will say na "Brand" but Drug is same , So !

Well...
I wish it were so for me.
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Blake755: 5:42pm On Oct 16, 2021
Wow nice thread op keep it up
Please op I wan have your contact I need to ask you something

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by slawormiir: 5:46pm On Oct 16, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Isoright....

Damnnn.....this thread is educative and not devoid of intellect

But that of alcohol ehnnnn...no drugs can prevent me from drinking alcohol...

To me o...I think all these drugs actually don't fight sickness like fever and malaria

They only assist our body to fight it .....I mean our body fights malaria and fever on their own..not the drugs we take...

What am I even saying

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:47pm On Oct 16, 2021
Kokaine:
Don't take drugs with cold water.

I'm not a doctor but hmmmm.......

The water is just to get the drug inside my stomach
This is a very popular myth in this part of the world!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:47pm On Oct 16, 2021
DonroxyII:

Lol cheesy
You are so funny!
cheesy wink cheesy

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by iamyemiakins(m): 5:47pm On Oct 16, 2021
The OP is on point, this should be a continuous thread for more enquiries

6 Likes

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by ATEAMS: 5:48pm On Oct 16, 2021
angry
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Xbs1: 5:49pm On Oct 16, 2021
Oh
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Theunbothered: 5:49pm On Oct 16, 2021
Dozis:

7. Herbal medicines are safer than orthodox medicines. Some people forget that most orthodox drugs are sourced from natural sources, moreover a particular plant may contain thousands or millions of phytochemicals, some medicinal and some harmful.

The fact remains that herbal medicines do not work, most of the Nigerians who support their use can not bring any scientific articles showing how they work when compared to standard pharmaceuticals.

Just "my mommy said" and insults

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by Blake755: 5:51pm On Oct 16, 2021
No drink coconut water after taking drugs is it true sad
Meanwhile op I would like to have your contact
Re: Some Myth About Medications In Nigeria by visijo(m): 5:52pm On Oct 16, 2021
K

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Best Cure For Bumps/keloid, After Shave Rash & Other Skin Bacteria Infections. / How The Internet Helped Restore My Baby's Health / How Much Does It Cost To Change A Tooth.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.