Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,616 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student (22156 Views)

Nigerian Student In UK Drowns In Canada While On School Trip (Photos) / Anyone Studying In Belgium? / 19yrs Old Nigerian Student Dies At UK University School Hall Due To 'helium Leak (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by Donmeca(m): 2:44am On Jun 01, 2011
I have read all sorts of report about studying and working in America (USA) and the United Kingdom. Severally, we have read about the escapades and sufferings of our young countrymen/women in a bid to make their lives and the lives of their immediate families better. . .only from the UK and the USA. I then ask, are there no other countries in Europe especially, where one can get world-class education? I know that the Nordic countries offer one the best education curricula on the planet yet no one mentions them. . .or are there no Nigerians/Nairalanders there? Same can be said of other EU country-blocks like the Low Countries.

That brings me to my aim. I have a friend who got admitted to one of the top Belgian universities for an M.Sc programme. We have been gathering as much info as we can but there doesn't seem to be enough (about the country, the school, racism, student job, cost of living and so on). I then thought of this wonderful forum. We need first hand information about studying in Flanders area of Belgium and I believe that there are Nigerian students and also alumni from various Belgian universities. We are also interested in the quality of/regard for degrees obtained from such universities. Pls give us an insight people.

1 Like

Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by ibjoy(f): 3:03pm On Jul 26, 2011
i also need info on the international student environment in belgium. have you got any info?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by Donmeca(m): 3:16pm On Jul 26, 2011
^^^Well, not from Nairaland. . .I've been seeking info from all sources. D feelers I get says d environment is not hostile at all. What I was considering is the extent of recognition a degree from Belgium will afford u after graduation. . .we are not interested in mortgaging 2years of our lives in another man's land without something very good to show for it, do we?

Are u due for Belgium soon?
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by JagaJaga1: 3:57pm On Jul 26, 2011
@Donmeca Drop the name of the university and the course your friend was admitted to so i may be able to answer your question.
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by Donmeca(m): 4:00pm On Jul 26, 2011
University in Flanders area, Masters in Science/Engineering
. . .and thanks. this topic has been here for almost two months without attracting real attention. Guess it's all about US and UK here  cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by ibjoy(f): 4:32pm On Jul 26, 2011
@Donmeca, please i will like to get in contact with your friend because my sister just got admission in Antwerpen university of management in belgium. she is about to begin her visa application process. maybe we can exchange vital information.
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by JagaJaga1: 4:38pm On Jul 26, 2011
@Donmeca The best thing is to go for a PhD after completion of the MSc program. Nigerian industries that need the services of a quality control officer would appreciate a MSc degree from a foreign school. The school is tuition free and the only payment you make is a registration fee of about €530 at the beginning of each semester. The school has a very high webometric ranking and Cost of living in Ghent is moderate.
Final conclusion: You are good to go
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by Donmeca(m): 4:42pm On Jul 26, 2011
Ok @Ibjoy but is ur sis in Nigeria? cos I think their visa wastes a hell of time here. . .guess she aught to have started d process of application. Another guy i know was granted visa in November last year for a session that began September. . .he already deferred his admission by then.

how do want to contact d guy. . .the site hides posts containing contact details and may even ban the account. But lemme check how i can put u two 2geda.
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by Donmeca(m): 4:52pm On Jul 26, 2011
Thanks @jaga jaga

U sound like u are in Be. . .pls are u? D Phd is part of d plan but we want to cross d bridge when we get there grin. Yeah, d tuition fee was what nearly made us change our mind! I know about Sweden b4 now and other Nordic countries like Finland, and Norway but when I saw less than 600 eur for causes in Belgium, I felt this will not be a good deal. But u are telling me it's worth d wahala and I'm happy.

Pls how does one get a room or hostel around Ghent? Thanks
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by Donmeca(m): 5:21pm On Jul 26, 2011
contact deleted by poster grin
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by ibjoy(f): 5:30pm On Jul 26, 2011
@Donmeca, thanks.
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by Donmeca(m): 2:41pm On Jul 27, 2011
My pleasure @Ibjoy. . .wish i cud be of greater help. Hope d info will be useful smiley
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by wendytilda(f): 11:26pm On Sep 30, 2011
-Hello, University of Antwerp is actually a good school.  A lot of Africans storm in there at this time of the year (September) for several Masters programs. Though I don’t live in Antwerp, I work and go to church there so I know quite a bit about the city. I think Antwerp is one of the cities in Belgium that you’re least likely to experience racism because of its high international cultural influence.  There are plenty of student jobs but of course the language (Dutch/Flemish) could be a little barrier. I say little barrier cause majority of the Flemish people  esp. students/young people understand and speak English fluently, it’s just getting hired for the job that might be a bit of an issue cause officially you’d have to be interviewed in Flemish, unless it’s an international company.  As for the cost of living, accommodation for students ranges from €355 to about €420(could be more or less) ,it all depends on what you want. Feeding shouldn’t be more than €70eur/week for a student .If you need people to hang out with in Belgium, feel free to visit this church (ACF) www.antwerpchristianfellowship.org , it’s an international church with people from all parts of the world, it sure is a place you would feel welcome, like you belong. Hope this was of any help, holla if you have more specific questions -

8 Likes

Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by ibjoy(f): 11:40pm On Sep 30, 2011
@wendytilda, thanks for the info. i will contact you if i have futher inquiry.
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by wendytilda(f): 12:04am On Oct 01, 2011
Sure thing!

If you wanna know a little more practical things about Belgium, read this Nferyn guy’s comments on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-4227.0.html . He’s totally on point!
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by kasabubu: 6:51am On Aug 08, 2013
Hi there, i just want to apply for a Belgian University, please i have some inquiries, i heard life there is very expensive and almost close to not affordable, then how long do their student visa process take. Also which school happen to be the best to apply to, with regards to no racism and availability of students job. Thanks so much as you share your experience, thanks a lot in advance
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by MissYuzedo(f): 7:15pm On Aug 08, 2013
Read above u mahn!

1 Like

Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by uzoexcel(m): 9:39am On Oct 15, 2013
u r yuzedo's sisterhwz the lekki mansion grin
MissYuzedo: Read above u mahn!
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by Alamu1: 3:26pm On Jul 28, 2014
Please guys,I'm just new to this forum which i want to know much about life in brussel because i want to apply for a school over there with a desire course of study at masters level.
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by uzoexcel(m): 8:19pm On Jul 28, 2014
smiley
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by uzolexis(f): 12:02am On Jul 29, 2014
I study in Belgium but in wallonia not flanders. there is no racism in belgium as far as I know and their educational standard is really high compared 2 many other countries cause i've met a lot of exchange students from different countries that say it's really tough here. The major problem you'll have is language barrier as belgium is not an English speaking country.however, most of their master programmes are in english as they have a lot of international students but for you 2 be able to interact u'll need to know a bit of french if you are in wallonia or dutch if you are in flanders. In flanders most pple speak English so it's not so bad and u can get a student job but knowing the language is an added advantage but in wallonia if u don't speak french it's almost impossible 2 get a job. Cost of living is relatively ok depending on where u stay,brussels is one of the cheapest cities 2 live in even though it's the capital,places like ottignies r more expensive. Belgium is a small country.u can travel from 1 end to another in 5 hrs and transport is a bit cheap compared 2 some other European countries,it's also in the centre of Europe and many international and EU organisations have their HQS there because of this it is quite tedious 2 get the visa,it's a long process so u av 2 start on time.
Goodluck.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by kevoh(m): 4:06pm On Aug 09, 2014
uzolexis: I study in Belgium but in wallonia not flanders. there is no racism in belgium as far as I know and their educational standard is really high compared 2 many other countries cause i've met a lot of exchange students from different countries that say it's really tough here. The major problem you'll have is language barrier as belgium is not an English speaking country.however, most of their master programmes are in english as they have a lot of international students but for you 2 be able to interact u'll need to know a bit of french if you are in wallonia or dutch if you are in flanders. In flanders most pple speak English so it's not so bad and u can get a student job but knowing the language is an added advantage but in wallonia if u don't speak french it's almost impossible 2 get a job. Cost of living is relatively ok depending on where u stay,brussels is one of the cheapest cities 2 live in even though it's the capital,places like ottignies r more expensive. Belgium is a small country.u can travel from 1 end to another in 5 hrs and transport is a bit cheap compared 2 some other European countries,it's also in the centre of Europe and many international and EU organisations have their HQS there because of this it is quite tedious 2 get the visa,it's a long process so u av 2 start on time.
Goodluck.
Uzoexcel, can you drop some links that I could gather infor from,concerning Msc (Engineering) in Belgium. I'm planning to take a study leave off work and start with the 2015 September session.

I have a good mastery of the French Language, so I'd like to know the possibilities of getting a good job in Belgium after Masters. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by uzoexcel(m): 4:25pm On Aug 09, 2014
i m nt in belgium. uzolexis and uzoexcel are two different peeps
kevoh:
Uzoexcel, can you drop some links that I could gather infor from,concerning Msc (Engineering) in Belgium. I'm planning to take a study leave off work and start with the 2015 September session.

I have a good mastery of the French Language, so I'd like to know the possibilities of getting a good job in Belgium after Masters. Thanks in advance!
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by kevoh(m): 4:28pm On Aug 09, 2014
uzoexcel: i m nt in belgium. uzolexis and uzoexcel are two different peeps
Sorry Bro! T'was a mistake!
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by uzoexcel(m): 4:45pm On Aug 09, 2014
its alrite
grin grin
kevoh:
Sorry Bro! T'was a mistake!
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by Nobody: 11:27pm On Sep 08, 2014
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by KenniStylez(m): 1:36pm On Sep 16, 2014
Hi all. Followed this thread for a bit and its been quite enlightening, though most of the information must be outdated by now (Sep. 2014). Anyway, I intend on studying in Europe starting this Dec. / early next year. I'm a mature student intending on going for Undergrad & Masters programs respectively in an European country but with the following issues in mind;

1) Tuition- Looking for something on the subsidized to relatively tuition-free side of things,

2)Quality of life- somewhere with high quality in life+ multicultural setting as I'm also seeking as much exposure as possible,

3)Standard of living- relatively low and inexpensive,

4)Part time jobs- to support myself with whilst studying,

5)Finally Visa- last of all what it'll take to get a visa to said country, ie procedure, duration etc

I'm considering the following countries but having little to nil idea about them so I'm a little skeptical, pls whatever input is duly appreciated;

France- Paris, Lyon
Belgium- Brussels, Antwerp
Germany- Berlin, Munich
Finland- Helsinki
Austria
New Zealand
Iceland

My major concerns are affordability and getting parttime/student jobs, as there isn't lots of funds which is partially the reason I've been unable 2 complete my 1st degree up until now. The only documentation I have presently are my WASSCE 2002, and a Diploma 2009(not OND).
I understand language might be a barrier in some of these places, but I'm willing to learn.
Please this is for those who gained entrance into and currently living in these countries/ have lived and have knowledge of the system. Feel free to add any more to the list of countries above that I haven't mentioned, but which you may have first hand experience of that may also be beneficial to this thread.
Thanks for your contribution

2 Likes

Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by vincentkong: 12:43pm On Dec 15, 2014
Hi all, can someone please provide a detailed information on how life in Belgium is like? Do please tell me something like living expenses etc. I am targeting for universiteit Antwerpen.
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 05, 2015
Please let keep this thread alive. I will like to inform fellow nairalanders that admissions into various universities in Belgium has started. Hurry and secure your place. Good Luck.
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 28, 2015
Can I still apply? I would love to resume in august
Re: Living In Belgium As A Nigerian Student by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jan 01, 2016
yes you can still apply. Go to this link you will have a lot of information

https://www.nairaland.com/2416231/anyone-studying-belgium

fayvableu:
Can I still apply? I would love to resume in august

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Necessary Things To Do To Live Peacefully Abroad / Annoying Things People Do In LAGOS Traffic/public Bus / Yuletide: Return Tickets On South-east Routes Hit N533,600

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.