Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

Starting A Successful Hair Salon In Nigeria - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Starting A Successful Hair Salon In Nigeria (887 Views)

Ghanaian Man Snoring While Barbing His Hair In A Salon (Video) / Want to Work for the Best Natural Hair Salon in Lagos? Train and Work with us / Lady Mocked For 14 Years Because Of Her 'ugly' Leg Turns To A Successful Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting A Successful Hair Salon In Nigeria by Arewa12: 11:53pm On Oct 13, 2021
Have been getting tones of messages from Nairalanders base on my post on this other thread

https://www.nairaland.com/5102211/how-start-run-successful-hair#77046797

After successfully given few people a startup hint then I decide let just bring it to a much wider audience. Now I will try and be practical no beating around the bush nd I might not be posting everyday but I'll try nd be consistent.

Re: Starting A Successful Hair Salon In Nigeria by Arewa12: 11:56pm On Oct 13, 2021
So let get right into the business... Now just like every other business, you need a plan, this myt not be a huge serious plan but you need a plan to help you stay on track and be guided. But there's one crucial thing "you don't need only money to start the business but you need PASSION: cause it will be the driving force that will help you when you going through the rough time and challenges this business comes along with because let us not deceive ourselves there would be trying times although it just a phase that we will always pass through which to me it's inevitable but if you stay put there's light at the end of the tunnel. One of the problems I have with some of these business coaches is that they advise ppl to start a Salon business but they don't prepare people's minds for the ups and downs of the business. Ordinarily, I advise people to not expect anything much for the first 6 months of starting up. Salon business is a long-time investment with an ROI of about 1000% but sometimes you don't get this ROI in one year but the longer you stay in business the more chances of you getting close to the above ROI. (that was a little detour)

1 Like

Re: Starting A Successful Hair Salon In Nigeria by Arewa12: 9:49am On Oct 14, 2021
HOW TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL HAIR SALON: WHY ARE SO MANY SALONS FAILING?

So many salons are failing at an alarming rate business costs continue to escalate it, seems like it's getting harder and harder to find good help you always have the threat of turnover hanging over your head.

There are so many challenges facing salon owners in Nigeria.
The first thing we have to look at is lack of Planning: most salon owners enter into the business with no idea of what they are doing. The definition of planning for most salon owners is quite different, I have had chats with a lot of salon owners and the intending ones their plans are always towards the interior of the salon, most times they believe everyone is always worried about how the salon looks like, yeah don’t get me wrong I’m not saying it should not be part of the plan but for me, it should be the least of your worries. To have a successful salon takes a lot of well-structured and proper plans the same plan you would give to a company is the same plan you should give to your salon. Honestly business is business it takes a lot of seeking out information especially for those who want to invest in salon business… you can’t say because you have 2 million kept somewhere and the next thing you want to do is invest in a salon ( yes it’s a good investment but not with the immediate result has expected ) do your plans very well, know the business your are about to put your money well.

Re: Starting A Successful Hair Salon In Nigeria by Arewa12: 2:47pm On Oct 14, 2021
Owning a business is no joke.
It takes a lot of time, money, and energy and these are what I like to call the 4 pillars of creating a successful, sustainable salon business.

Leadership: Hands down is the foundation for your business. If the leadership foundation is not strong forget it your salon business will close down out of frustration.
Leading by example is pivotal. Supporting your team daily, recognizing the best in them when they can't see it within themselves.
Establishing a safe, nurturing, encouraging, comfortable, trustworthy environment where they can thrive and grow! And let's not forget accountability on all fronts.

Systems: there are two systems you have to create.
*client systems
* team systems.
Create a system for hiring, training, and onboard coaching, and also team meetings
While for client's create a system for follow-ups, guest experience and so much more.
Now the benefit of creating a SYSTEM helps create CONSISTENCY for both the client and the team.

Brand/culture:
what do you stand for?
What is your promise to your clients?
What are your salon's core values?
And how are you communicating this with the team so they can deliver it to the clients.
It's knowing who you serve and how you serve them in a
way that sets you apart from the rest.

Finances: Budgeting, profit, and loss statements monthly.
Weekly and monthly benchmarks for the salon and the team. Target revenue margins. Saving for your future. Pricing your services with profit.

I know all what I have said here might sound foreign to you because you are thinking all these grammar for me because i want to open a salon. Well let me shock the salon industry has grown way beyond just getting a shop, people taste have changed.

Re: Starting A Successful Hair Salon In Nigeria by Arewa12: 11:55am On Oct 15, 2021
Hairstylists and Salon Owner need to have a
unique connection when working in a salon. It is
just like any other relationship. It's a time devotion, it's work,
there must be well-detailed communication, and of course TRUST! I would like to break down both parties' roles to create a successful, unified, working relationship.

Stylist: Your position as a stylist should be exactly who you portray yourself to be during the interview. Demonstrate a positive & ready-to-work attitude. Be ready to learn and be open to being coached and improve. Be reliable, accountable, take initiative, work hard toward your expectations within the growth strategy of your employer and take accountability for your growth.

Salon owner: Your position is to create an environment and culture that is encouraging, supportive, safe. Guide by example in EVERY way and setting your team up to win is key with a growth strategy. One-on-one coaching sessions monthly will create loyalty and trust and ensure they are working to their fullest potential! A clear marketing strategy is also key to support their growth. Accountability for you and the team is a must.

BOTH PARTIES- Respect! Integrity! Follow through! Clear
communication! Giving attention! Tolerance! Love! This is the only way to create a successful business with star team members. You have to give to get. It takes time and it takes commitment. But if done correctly it can create a beautiful relationship

Re: Starting A Successful Hair Salon In Nigeria by Arewa12: 11:12am On Oct 18, 2021
Is it advisable to start a salon now?
Now the pandemic that happened last year gave every business a halt and everybody had to start re-strategizing. Those who were not able to do that, that was the end of their business. But do know Barbers survived during that pandemic, I know of four Barbing salons that hit their all-time high during the pandemic. They have never recorded such sales since the startup of their salons, one bought his first car, one completed his house that he has abandoned for many years, it was completed. This is a business that survives during hard times I can't speak for *WAR* because I have never experienced it and I pray we don't experience it. But my friend who works in IDP camp said he has seen local barbers and hairdressers: shave, cut, and plait hair for people for a little token, some for exchange of little valuables, and some just do it for free so they can maintain consistency with their skills, let go to the ladies' hairdressing
Wig and home service were available before the pandemic then during the pandemic, the demand went so high that some people could not afford it then they had to start learning on YouTube how to make wigs. (Then the interest of going to wig business came about for some, yes people have been venturing into wig business but then their was an uprise, people were not working during the pandemic somewhere just looking for ways to earn extra income during the pandemic, people started venturing into wig making) {a little detour} Now if you are very familiar with hair industry you would recognize that it easily evolves around every economic. It's one of the businesses that easily adapt to an economy and it's one of the few that also get hit by the economy. Now the survival of that business depends on the owner salon which brings me to
LACK OF BUSINESS SKILLS ON THE PART OF THE OWNER: I will keep saying it don't carry the tag of a CEO if you don't have a business & management skill this the first skill you need to learn this will help you prepare for times and seasons of the business, some people will just go and open salon then shut it down after 6 months or a year, for some the salon is just there gathering dust, some they will open today close tomorrow. You need to have managerial skills, even your business card should be tag manager first, don't put C.E.O, some will even put C.E.O/MD. Earn the title don't just put it. How many significances have you accomplish with the title that should be your driving force, let it be that has your salon grow let people give you the title, in your mind you know you are the owner but bring it down a little then has your business grow you can start changing the title see it has a way of promoting both yourself and your staff. Research was carried out recently 95 percent of all business failures were due to lack of business and management skills on the part of the owner. So I urge everyone reading this all salon owners and intending investors, you’ve got to learn how to run a business you’ve got to develop a leadership skill to take your team to higher levels of excellent: people that will share your vision, your goals and contribute to your teams in your salon. Once you get these things in place then your salon will run much smoother.

Re: Starting A Successful Hair Salon In Nigeria by Arewa12: 10:39pm On Oct 18, 2021
If you're interested in learning more about growing or starting a successful salon. A free class is coming up soon. If you are interested just send a pm and I will get back to you

Re: Starting A Successful Hair Salon In Nigeria by Giviteone777: 3:42pm On Jul 31, 2022
Hello, it's a very cool salon, I was happy to visit it, but one hairstyle is not enough for my appearance.
I believe that before any procedures it is necessary to put your body in order. Complete a thorough cleaning. And then the appearance will definitely change. Add physical activity here. But sometimes we don't always get the desired result. That's why I use laser body sculpting https://laserbodysculpting.ca/ This is a very modern procedure, thanks to which I got rid of my sagging stomach and double chin
Re: Starting A Successful Hair Salon In Nigeria by Adepegbajos: 8:54am On Aug 02, 2022
Ok

(1) (Reply)

Trendy Hairstyles For Baby Girls For All Events In Africa ; See 50+ Styles / Stunning Pregnancy Photoshoot Ideas That Are Easily Adoptable & Fun In 2022 / Urgent Advice Plzzz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.