Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,868 members, 7,802,800 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:52 PM

Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother (2270 Views)

The Hatred I Have For My Mother Is Getting Worse / My Wife Is Getting Me Angry / Why Children Of Strict Parents Turn Out To Be Worse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Sonnobax15(m): 7:16am On Oct 14, 2021
lipsrsealed
There's always a prodigal son in every family....But it depends on Whether he's ready to accept his mistakes and to get back to his family.

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by frozen70(f): 7:27am On Oct 14, 2021
NoJex:
So I created a new account for this. I'll try too keep it as short as possible.

My Dad is an evangelist and our mom died in 2013. 4 months ago, my older brother revealed to my dad, via phone call, that He is agnostic, my Dad cried and it was shocking for me, because I have never seen my Dad cry. Since the day my brother revealed that He has left the faith, My Dad has been fasting on his behalf. Over the weeks He has lost weight, because He is fasting and praying excessively for God to arrest my brother and He is eating very little. Nowadays, He keeps talking to himself and calling himself a "failed parent" for raising an "athiest" child (To him there is no difference between being Atheist and being Agnostic). Some church members on Facebook found out that my brother had left the faith and they are putting the blame on my parents for not raising my brother properly in the faith. My brother is a frequent visitor to this website, I don't know his username, but I know He visits this website a lot.

Frankly, even though I'm Christian, I have no problems with my brother being agnostic. Right from when we were growing up, He has always been skeptical of religion and I cannot count how many times our parents punished him for skipping church or criticizing popular pastors. He has always been like that and I have gotten used to it. So when I found out that He is was no longer Christian, I was sad, but not surprised.

I have been begging my father to eat properly for over four months now and my pleas have fallen on deaf ears. Old age is starting to catch up with him, his health is already failing him, He is not taking his drugs and He is making matters worse by overthinking about my brother. I am the last born and the only lady with him in the house, as all my older siblings are not around. While I believe that God will arrest my brother in due course, I cannot help but worry about my father who is worrying himself to death over one child. Just yesterday out of frustration and anger, my father laid several hefty curses on my brother, I sent a WhatsApp vn to my brother telling him about it, thinking that his mind will soften a bit, but He replied me that He doesn't believe in curses. In fact I am tired at this point, Please what should I do?

Why not report your father to his church members to talk to him

Your brother has choosen his own path and no one can change him except Christ

You too, develop a strong heart over all these so that it doesn't eat you in

As for your dad, let him carry his Cross

God will answer his prayers
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by TheWolfen(m): 7:43am On Oct 14, 2021
I don't know why your brother choose that path because it is only a BIG FOOL that will doubt the existence of God.
But one thing I can say about him is that he has pride and only care about himself
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by SSIPON(m): 7:44am On Oct 14, 2021
TheWolfen:
[s] I don't know why your brother choose that path because it is only a BIG FOOL that will doubt the existence of God.
But one thing I can say about him is that he has pride and only care about himself [/s]
There, I corrected it for you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by TheWolfen(m): 7:47am On Oct 14, 2021
Over thinking is dangerous especially for old people. That dude just want to kill the poor man.
May we not give birth to heartless children

Vaughanlanrewaj:
Stop worrying about your brother, your father has already intervened. It's your father you need to keep praying for. Everything will be alright so don't overthink it too.
Your dad is perhaps not busy enough or the environment is limiting him or bringing too much reminder of his weakness, your brother, to his realities. If it doesn't kill him, it will make him stronger, just don't stop praying for him.
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by TheWolfen(m): 7:50am On Oct 14, 2021
Yes he is a big fool and I will say it again..
Why will someone doubt the existence of God?
BTW why are you pained? Are you the said brother?

SSIPON:

There, I corrected it for you
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by SSIPON(m): 7:52am On Oct 14, 2021
TheWolfen:
[s]Yes he is a big fool and I will say it again..
Why will someone doubt the existence of God?
BTW why are you pained? Are you the said brother? [/s]

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Kobojunkie: 8:10am On Oct 14, 2021
NoJex:
Just yesterday out of frustration and anger, my father laid several hefty curses on my brother, I sent a WhatsApp vn to my brother telling him about it, thinking that his mind will soften a bit, but He replied me that He doesn't believe in curses. In fact I am tired at this point, Please what should I do?
Your dad's selfish desire to force his belief on his own children is what is killing him, and not your brother. undecided

OP, your father's "wickedness" and selfishness is what you are having to endure watching him starve himself and curse his on son because his ego has been bruised. OP, may I advise that you go spend time somewhere else or move away from your father so his toxic energy does not continue to affect you, eventually causing you to blame your brother for your father's action. undecided

Anyone who truly knows Jesus Christ would not agree with any of what your father is doing, nor with those on Facebook who suppose your brother ought to have been a puppet controlled by your father. undecided
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Kobojunkie: 8:13am On Oct 14, 2021
JeffreyJunior:
Talk to your brother and plead with him to at least pretend a little to be Christian when in your dad's presence, for the old man's sake.

I hate when parents insist on living their lives and those of their kids too but what can one do if not please them in every little way one can.

Remind your brother that a father is like an umbrella and those who still have them around should cherish and love them.

As for being agnostic, it's his choice. I believe there is God somewhere but I can bet that he is neither in today's churches nor today's mosques.
So you are suggesting the brother live a lie for the sake of their father's ego? undecided

A father is like an umbrella, so the children should live as if zombies under the umbrella? undecided
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Kobojunkie: 8:17am On Oct 14, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:
Stop worrying about your brother, your father has already intervened. It's your father you need to keep praying for. Everything will be alright so don't overthink it too.
Your dad is perhaps not busy enough or the environment is limiting him or bringing too much reminder of his weakness, your brother, to his realities. If it doesn't kill him, it will make him stronger, just don't stop praying for him.
Intervened? Lol.... where Jesus Christ tell you that one? undecided

The brother is not the problem here. The father's ego, which Jesus Christ said should be dead - you must die go self in order to be worthy of Jesus Christ- is instead the problem here. undecided

By the way, what in the world do you mean by the statement in bold? undecided
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Kobojunkie: 8:22am On Oct 14, 2021
chukwuibuipob:
sad Nojex,. Hope Ur bro never join those street nuisance? . Maybe joblessness,frustration/bad friends probably the root cause of his sudden change? God will honour the parents CURSE unless Ur bro change and the old man bless him something tell me,he'll change his waywardness lifestyle and come back home like the prodigal son.Ur father can't be suffering and he care not.
Where in the Bible do you have God telling you he honors a parents curse? God never gave parents power to curse or bless their children. None! In fact, that belief that parents have such power is pagan in origin, not biblical although some have gone as far as to twist that idea into the Bible through doctrines(lies) undecided

Also, next time you read your Bible, do so with your eyes open. The story of the prodigal son is not of a son who quit believing in God but instead of a Son who took his inheritance and squandered it. Stop reading your Bible upside-down. undecided
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Kobojunkie: 8:25am On Oct 14, 2021
NoJex:

My brother is the kind of person that if you call him, He won't pick. We only communicate via whatsapp and trust me, I have tried to make him understand, but He won't budge. cry

Only a few of our relatives know, but they are not helping at all, they just keep saying, "It is well, God will arrest him." My 2 other brothers are also out of the country currently.
Don't worry about your brother. Worry about your father who thinks that he can force his belief on your brother. undecided

In fact, don't worry about him even... find and focus on your own life and salvation instead abeg! undecided
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Kobojunkie: 8:30am On Oct 14, 2021
NoJex:
He is not eating, He is not taking his drugs, He just keeps praying and fasting even with his failing health. God knows I have tried my best sad
Your father's actions have nothing to do with your brother. Your dad needs to grow up and find Jesus Christ for Himself. Carrying title of "Evangelist" around no be how dem dey do God at all. Jesus Christ said by their fruits you shall know them, and these fruits of your father's only reveal him to be yet another product of indoctrination. undecided
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Jamesbiodun(m): 8:37am On Oct 14, 2021
I am very sorry to say this, I don't think your father will make heaven if heaven is real, everyone is entitled to his or her own faith, at least your brother no be arm robber Abi na assassin angry religion is our number one problem angry I am sorry once again
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Bluewitch(f): 8:47am On Oct 14, 2021
NoJex:

My Dad is an evangelist and our mom died in 2013. 4 months ago, my older brother revealed to my dad, via phone call, that He is agnostic, my Dad cried and it was shocking for me, because I have never seen my Dad cry. Since the day my brother revealed that He has left the faith, My Dad has been fasting on his behalf. Over the weeks He has lost weight, because He is fasting and praying excessively for God to arrest my brother and He is eating very little. Nowadays, He keeps talking to himself and calling himself a "failed parent" for raising an "athiest" child (To him there is no difference between being Atheist and being Agnostic). Some church members on Facebook found out that my brother had left the faith and they are putting the blame on my parents for not raising my brother properly in the faith. My brother is a frequent visitor to this website, I don't know his username, but I know He visits this website a lot.

Frankly, even though I'm Christian, I have no problems with my brother being agnostic. Right from when we were growing up, He has always been skeptical of religion and I cannot count how many times our parents punished him for skipping church or criticizing popular pastors. He has always been like that and I have gotten used to it. So when I found out that He is was no longer Christian, I was sad, but not surprised.

I have been begging my father to eat properly for over four months now and my pleas have fallen on deaf ears. Old age is starting to catch up with him, his health is already failing him, He is not taking his drugs and He is making matters worse by overthinking about my brother. I am the last born and the only lady with him in the house, as all my older siblings are not around. While I believe that God will arrest my brother in due course, I cannot help but worry about my father who is worrying himself to death over one child. Just yesterday out of frustration and anger, my father laid several hefty curses on my brother, I sent a WhatsApp vn to my brother telling him about it, thinking that his mind will soften a bit, but He replied me that He doesn't believe in curses. In fact I am tired at this point, Please what should I do?

Your dad should let go of your brother.
He committed no crime.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Bluewitch(f): 8:48am On Oct 14, 2021
baby124:
Many people are beginning to question religion because of the many fake pastors and fake imams preaching violence. The more they go extreme the more people are skeptical. As your dad chose his path to become an evangelist, so did your brother choose to be an agnostic. The fact is religion is forced on us from birth, as adults we can choose. Your father does not own your brother’s life, he has chosen his way. Your dad needs to come to peace with it and move on with his life.

A true Christian will try to understand and not be laying curses on his own son. Obviously some hypocritical behaviors of your father drove your brother where he is. Where is the love that Christianity preaches? Your father has made himself God by thinking he can force another’s will. Even God does not take that place in anybody’s life.

Your brother is not an evangelist, your father is. Let everyone face their business and their hustle. You can tell your brother to tone down on his views for your father’s sake. Especially on social media. They might not agree, but they both deserve the chance to live in peace and respect each other.

Your brother believes in God, he just does not believe in organized religion. Which quite frankly is cultlike and, your father is showing deep signs of a cult leader which probably chased your brother away. For people who have a free thinking/ rebellious mind, religion is not logical. Until we realize that all humans have different perspectives, we will never respect each other and appreciate the diversity.

Ogun bless you
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by janvier27(m): 2:58pm On Oct 14, 2021
It may sound insensitive, but we've all got our personal crosses to carry so let your dad process and carry his. It's not his fault wanting the child to follow a particular course, but it is his fault taking responsibility for his child's decision. Two plus two in life isn't always four. Your brother has chosen what he considers best for himself after processing all the advice he got from everyone. He may change his thinking in future. It's his decision to make.
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Nobody: 3:01pm On Oct 14, 2021
Hmm. I can only imagine the emotional pain your father is going through right now. But he should know that your brother has his own life to live and he is responsible for any decision he takes. Make your old man free the guy, so far your brother is not posing any threat to himself and his environment, no wahala.
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Kobojunkie: 3:08pm On Oct 14, 2021
janvier27:
It may sound insensitive, but we've all got our personal crosses to carry so let your dad process and carry his. It's not his fault wanting the child to follow a particular course, but it is his fault taking responsibility for his child's decision. Two plus two in life isn't always four. Your brother has chosen what he considers best for himself after processing all the advice he got from everyone. He may change his thinking in future. It's his decision to make.
Jesus Christ said anyone who wishes to be a follower of His must die to self(ego), pick up his own cross(not his wife's or his childrens or anyone else's) to do so. undecided
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by kingxsamz(m): 10:18am On Oct 17, 2021
Lmao... It's funny when religious folks always want you to live your life to please them and their beliefs. Anything outside that is considered abnormal. Your brother has his own life, your dad has his, you have yours to live.
Told my family members I'm atheist last year, nobody died, fell sick or anything. Sure it'll hurt them, but do they have a choice? No. It's my life. Your dad has issues with himself, he should seek help and focus on what makes him happy.
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by leofab(f): 10:19am On Oct 17, 2021
NoJex:

four months and counting with heavy fasting and prayers yet no results; isn’t that enough red flag to be sceptic.. I hope your dad will join your brother soon in being agnostic…

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by kingxsamz(m): 10:27am On Oct 17, 2021
TheWolfen:
I don't know why your brother choose that path because it is only a BIG FOOL that will doubt the existence of God.
But one thing I can say about him is that he has pride and only care about himself

Lol, e pain this one.
When your child becomes one, you too will cry and starve yourself to sleep. cheesy
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by sisisioge: 10:33am On Oct 17, 2021
Well....your father is on his own o. Let him continue to fast on your brother's stead, one day it will clear in his eyes. Shouldnt he start reflecting on the fact that after 4 month of rigorous fasting, prayers and stressing, God had left the matter alone? My God bless us with very reason beautiful minds fa.

This is one of the problems religion fanatics create for themselves....na him sabi.

As for your brother, he is an adult and should be left to his personal conviction where religion is concern. Every man for himself God for us all.
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Foodqueen(f): 12:26pm On Oct 17, 2021
Since he don already leave house, he suppose dey do his thing.
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Nekky5(f): 1:21pm On Oct 17, 2021
It's quite an unfortunate situation but I want you to know that the devil is out to destroy your family. Your father should not see himself as a failed parent or rather be termed as one but should see it all as a plot to destabilize him. If your brother as an adult could now deny the faith he was brought up in , that means he knows what he is doing and should be responsible for everything that goes with it but looking at the angle of spirituality, let your father understand it and hand him over to God. He should not kill himself over it nor worsen it by laying curses rather let God deliver him.
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by GboyegaD(m): 1:48pm On Oct 17, 2021
It is God that saves. Salvation isn't of works lest any man should boast. He has done his part and he should trust God to lead your brother back to him.
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Kobojunkie: 11:35pm On Oct 17, 2021
Nekky5:
It's quite an unfortunate situation but I want you to know that the devil is out to destroy your family. Your father should not see himself as a failed parent or rather be termed as one but should see it all as a plot to destabilize him. If your brother as an adult could now deny the faith he was brought up in , that means he knows what he is doing and should be responsible for everything that goes with it but looking at the angle of spirituality, let your father understand it and hand him over to God. He should not kill himself over it nor worsen it by laying curses rather let God deliver him.
Stop lying to her. The devil did no such thing to her family. The man causing the problem here is the father who seeks control over the beliefs of his children. undecided

Because you were indoctrinated as a child does not then mean you ought to live your life in it. Individuals are meant to make choices of their own that is the risk why God Himself installed a complete brain and mind in each individual. undecided
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Karleb(m): 3:13am On Oct 18, 2021
If you are a Nigerian in Nigeria and you've never questioned your religion then you deserve thorough flogging.
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Karleb(m): 3:16am On Oct 18, 2021
kingxsamz:

Lol, e pain this one.
When your child becomes one, you too will cry and starve yourself to sleep. cheesy

Religion preaches tolerance but same religion is never tolerant.

As a Christian, I don't mind if my child(ren) becomes a Christian, Muslim, atheist, pagan, Buddhist etc. They will always have my love by the time I start having them.

1 Like

Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by Kobojunkie: 3:17am On Oct 18, 2021
Karleb:
If you are a Nigerian in Nigeria and you've never questioned your religion then you deserve thorough flogging.

ROFLMAO
grin grin cheesy cheesy wink cheesy cheesy grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Please Help, My Dad's Health Is Getting Worse Because Of My Brother by DEGREE2466(m): 9:09pm On Jan 15, 2022
NoJex:

I am not single. I am just here to seek advice, sir.

Okay ma

(1) (2) (Reply)

. / Is It Okay For Me To Cheat? / Do People Still Sleep With Pyjamas And Night Dresses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.