Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled (39218 Views)

Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment / How I Managed Light Situation In My Apartment (DIY Guide) / Please Help. My Apartment Is Being Haunted By A Ghost. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by BryanZino: 9:02am On Oct 15, 2021
Hello guys, I'm new to posting on this forum so I don't know the best section this post should be.
As I type this, I'm currently sick and there so much anger and pain within, I haven't been able to eat or drink since I got the news from my neighbor who told me that my landlord came to the house with a strange face, broke the locks to my apartment and packed my things out, I sent a relative to confirm and she said everything is outside but he went with my TV set.
I called the landlord to ask what he has done, he blatantly lied telling me I sent my 'brother' to clear my things off the apartment that he has reported me to Police.
Yes, I owe him 8months rent and I've away for 13 months even before the last year rent I paid expired. I told him I'll be back by November and I'll pay once I get in.
Pls even though I owe him, it doesn't feel right stealing my property and throwing the rest in the rain
Pls I'm lost and dire need of legal advice
Edit: while I'm not absolving my self of the guilt that I owe the landlord this long and purely due to loss of job (covid19 problems) and there's no way I go there and get my stuff without paying the backlog. [code][/code] he freaking broke in and kept what he desired for himself and lied he didn't. Haba, this is wrong na

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by thesicilian: 9:04am On Oct 15, 2021
I don't know if the law is on your side, but the fact is that you owe him money and if you really wanted to pay, you could have done that from anywhere in the world. 8months rent in this hard economy is not a joke.

328 Likes 18 Shares

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by nicho450(m): 9:06am On Oct 15, 2021
This is serious. Which kind wahala be this

Meanwhile check my signature

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Sonicroyel: 9:09am On Oct 15, 2021
Landlord na bastard

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by BryanZino: 9:21am On Oct 15, 2021
I know 8 months is a lot but I've stayed there 8 years and never owed and I haven't been able to gather the bulk to pay right now but I don't think he's at liberty to break and enter and select what he can keep for himself

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by XXXXTENTACION: 9:22am On Oct 15, 2021
8 months rent is not child's play pay up your rent and get your properties back.... Very simple undecided

58 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by nosiebaba(m): 9:24am On Oct 15, 2021
If you owe for 8 months, they you should be pleading with him. How will he feed his family if you ground his investment like that. If you are away for 13 months and you can't renew your rent, them you have shown you have no interest staying there. You have stayed in a house for 8 years doesn't give you the excuse to owe. Peace

174 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by XXXXTENTACION: 9:24am On Oct 15, 2021
BryanZino:
I know 8 months is a lot but I've stayed there 8 years and never owed and I haven't been able to gather the bulk to pay right now but I don't think he's at liberty to break and enter and select what he can keep for himself
He is holding your property so you can pay his rent ... Pay up the money and get your properties back... undecided

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Sonnobax15(m): 9:29am On Oct 15, 2021
lipsrsealed
Op,like seriously, you suppose to sleep cell like this undecided. A whole 8 months? shocked. Why you wicked finish like this? undecided. For this kind hard times undecided. So tay you come dey even dey say you get the mind to clear all the debts by November undecided. Op,na mumu you go tell that one,,And the last time I checked,I no be mumu undecided

122 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by realstars: 9:29am On Oct 15, 2021
He Is a thieve, invite the jungle dwellers to do their job.

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by dominique(f): 9:32am On Oct 15, 2021
Yes, I owe him 8months rent and I've away for 13 months even before the last year rent I paid expired. I told him I'll be back by November and I'll pay once I get in.

This is wickedness, not only did you owe for eight months you locked his house for over a year. You deserve to have your things thrown out into the streets! Majority of tenants we have today are horrible sets of people! Imagine if that house was the landlord's main source of income, that's how you would have deprived the man from making money for an entire year and you expect God not to punish you. I hope you build your own house one day and one useless tenant will lock it up for 600 years without paying

167 Likes 10 Shares

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Nozino: 9:41am On Oct 15, 2021
BryanZino:
Hello guys, I'm new to posting on this forum so I don't know the best section this post should be.
As I type this, I'm currently sick and there so much anger and pain within, I haven't been able to eat or drink since I got the news from my neighbor who told me that my landlord came to the house with a strange face, broke the locks to my apartment and packed my things out, I sent a relative to confirm and she said everything is outside but he went with my TV set.
I called the landlord to ask what he has done, he blatantly lied telling me I sent my 'brother' to clear my things off the apartment that he has reported me to Police.
Pls even though I owe him, it doesn't feel right stealing my property and throwing the rest in the rain
Pls I'm lost and dire need of legal advice

God will bless you. You will spend all your money investing in a property hoping to enjoy it when you retire, then someone will lock your property for years and refuse to pay rent.

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by sojayy(m): 5:04pm On Oct 15, 2021
Instead make u go pack ur left over luggage n find solution to ur probs in real time, u r here asking for what to do online......u r on a long thing bro

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by paskal16: 5:04pm On Oct 15, 2021
Ff
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by temitope27(m): 5:04pm On Oct 15, 2021
Egbon, u be debtor/onigbese u deserve it

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Simeony007(m): 5:05pm On Oct 15, 2021
Congratulations!!! Bros, You don blow ooo

Just find correct Lawyer grin grin grin

Something of such happened in Lagos here 9 years ago, the tenant rented an half plot, I don't really know how much he pays then for the rent, but he wasn't paying very well. He was owing the landlord a year rent.

He built a restaurant and bar on the land.

One day, Landlord got angry and arranged boys to destroy the man's shop. They destroy the walls without going inside not touching anything. The man told me this himself because I was going to rent part of the the land for my viewing center business that I wanted to open at the area then.

He reported the case to the police and got himself a lawyer because he was educated and an Ebo man. He took pictures for evidence and told the Judge that he left 5 million naira in his bar, his lawyer asked him to say that.

They charged the man to court and he explained what led to his actions but the Judge punished him by asking him to pay 8 million for damages or he can forget the land, and it belongs to the tenant until otherwise.

The man begged his tenant but he refused and got stroke. So, his children went to the man to beg and he asked them to go and bring 3 million and he will drop the case. Till today, the tenant has been using the land as he likes and renting it to other tenants like he owns it. The owner is late now so and the children never see 3m.

This happens at Aguda Ogba Lagos.

Congrats again grin grin grin grin

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Lagosfinder(m): 5:05pm On Oct 15, 2021
This issue is dicey
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by naijainstinct: 5:05pm On Oct 15, 2021
Simply just obtain a police report and proceed to court. Even though you owe him, he should have obtained an eviction order from the court. He has broken the law. If you don't sue him, he will do it again. We are not in a jungle, there's a due process for everything. Being owed is not a reason to act outside the ambit of the law. Also, don't allow anyone harass you. Going by the ACJA 2015, police should not interfere in civil matters such as this. Indebtedness is not a criminal offence. The reason why you are reporting to the police is because a criminal offence has been committed by your landlord i.e obtaining your asset without your notice (a.k.a stealing) and breaking into your apartment (a.k.a burglary)

The compensation you will get will surpass the rent you are owing. Make sure you pay your rent from that. All the best.

112 Likes 11 Shares

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by OLDESTWARRIBOY: 5:05pm On Oct 15, 2021
Your rent expire and since 13 months you locked the house with your things outside??

Okpari....You are on your own, bros!!

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Nobody: 5:05pm On Oct 15, 2021
Act like nothing happen. Return with 50 liters of petrol and burn house at midnight.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by wunmi590(m): 5:05pm On Oct 15, 2021
tongue
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by jidxin(m): 5:06pm On Oct 15, 2021
thesicilian:
I don't know if the law is on your side, but the fact is that you owe him money and if you really wanted to pay, you could have done that from anywhere in the world. 8months rent in this hard economy is not a joke.
the law is solidly on his side, it is against the law to resolve to self help your landlord could bad a year imprisonment if charged to court.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by baralatie(m): 5:06pm On Oct 15, 2021
You don hammer now

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by iReddington: 5:07pm On Oct 15, 2021
Ahaan...but you wicked shaa! You owe rent of 8months and also locked the apartment for 1yr+
Ahh...you get mind oo. grin

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by temitope27(m): 5:07pm On Oct 15, 2021
OgunLaakaye:
Act like nothing happen. Return with 50 liters of petrol and burn house at midnight.

na ogun laakaye go kill you there

16 Likes

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by omoadeleye(m): 5:07pm On Oct 15, 2021
OP wicked

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by temitope27(m): 5:07pm On Oct 15, 2021
jidxin:
the law is solidly on his side, it is against the law to resolve to self help your landlord could bad a year imprisonment if charged to court.
na lie, maybe he has already been giving notice b4 but lieing here

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Michael662(m): 5:08pm On Oct 15, 2021
OP you no try... please pay up. Na you cause am
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by akinmusi(m): 5:08pm On Oct 15, 2021
Ah. Please sir his ass
Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by Tellwhat: 5:08pm On Oct 15, 2021
dominique:

This is wickedness, not only did you owe for eight months you locked his house for over a year. You deserve to have your things thrown out into the streets! Majority of tenants we have today are horrible sets of people! Imagine if that house was the landlord's main source of income, that's how you would have deprived the man from making money for an entire year and you expect God not to punish you. I hope you build your own house one day and one useless tenant will lock it up for 600 years without paying
Dominique na definitely landlady

This topic vex her well cheesy

Well op people criticizing you are right though. But the landlord took drastic measures to secure his money. Na street man. No joy

Re: My Landlord Broke Into My Apartment When I Travelled by jaeyking(m): 5:08pm On Oct 15, 2021
OP
8months rent haba.

U ma sef

U suppose call the landlord even if u no go come back

Be like the landlord feel say u no go come back that y

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Frustrated Tenants Print Poster For Their Landlord / The N589.3M House In Omole As Valued By LASG For Land Use Charge / Help!!! My Landlord Has Removed The Roof Of My Apartment