Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? (19803 Views)

Authorized Calculators For The 2019 CFA Exams / Smash CFA Exams In 4 Months, At The Comfort Of Your Home! / Demolition: Fresh FM Staff Weeps "How Will I Take Care Of My Family Now?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ikenna44: 1:32pm On Oct 16, 2021
3 times Acca?! You don't say?! Abeg... Don't make me laugh. Acca has a wider scope and wider acceptability compared to cfa. Don't speak on things you know nothing about!

ThierryJay:
CFA is definitely worth it, and will boost your CV tremendously as it's arguably the most valuable professional certification in the finance sector. However, the exam is hard and costs quite a dime. So your real headache should be more of how you'd pass each level with minimal resits.

Another plus is that it's recognized globally, especially if you have intentions of migrating to Canada & co.

CFA's value is like X3 of ACCA.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by sammirano3: 1:33pm On Oct 16, 2021
The bosses exam
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by sammirano3: 1:35pm On Oct 16, 2021
ikenna44:
3 times Acca?! You don't say?! Abeg... Don't make me laugh. Acca has a wider scope and wider acceptability compared to cfa. Don't speak on things you know nothing about!

Its just weong comparing cfa to acca. They serve different purpose.but from where i sit. Cfa is better, most respected and worthwhile than acca

7 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by SIRTee15: 1:35pm On Oct 16, 2021
Is that not the exam for investment bankers?
The exam na die, I'm not even sure they have a centre in nigeria. It's also very expensive.
It's worth it provided u have the time and strength. It takes an average 4 yrs to complete the 3 level of exams.
Pls chop well b4 u commence the program. All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ikenna44: 1:36pm On Oct 16, 2021
Hope you know that a certification doesn't become valuable just because it's expensive?!

Cfa has nothing... I repeat NOTHING on acca!

ThierryJay:
CFA is definitely worth it, and will boost your CV tremendously as it's arguably the most valuable professional certification in the finance sector. However, the exam is hard and costs quite a dime. So your real headache should be more of how you'd pass each level with minimal resits.

Another plus is that it's recognized globally, especially if you have intentions of migrating to Canada & co.

CFA's value is like X3 of ACCA.
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by seyz91(m): 1:38pm On Oct 16, 2021
confirm!
Chijeep:
Oya Books and Bookers over to you...
As for me, anything apart from Business in Nigeria is a long journey to me

1 Like

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by Lugianostar(m): 1:38pm On Oct 16, 2021
Certificates in Nigeria is worthless as we only depend of God's Grace to be significant??
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ikenna44: 1:39pm On Oct 16, 2021
Cfa is rubbish... It's just one aspect of Accounting!

Acca covers all aspects of Accounting.

Its just the clout that comes with the money spent doing cfa that makes cfa look like it's one correct certification. The scope is so narrow... I'd pick Acca over cfa any day any time!

sammirano3:

Its just weong comparing cfa to acca. They serve different purpose.but from where i sit. Cfa is better, most respected and worthwhile than acca

2 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ThierryJay: 1:39pm On Oct 16, 2021
ikenna44:

You are not really comparing CFA to ACCA are you? This cannot be real.

CFA has less than 30% average pass rate globally. ACCA typically gets up to 60% pass rate. Tells you which is more difficult.

You see someone with CFA and another with ACCA. Pray tell who do you think will be more highly sought after in the field of finance. Pls research before you answer me cos it's a no brainer.

5 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by eazzzy1(m): 1:44pm On Oct 16, 2021
OvaSabi1:

Hi. I'm not one to hound another on nairaland but I just sent you a pm. Kindly have a look. Gracias.

Hi Oversabi, I don’t know how this pm thing works. I see the notification that you want to send me a pm, I just don’t know where to see the message. Kindly quote me on an inactive thread with your message. Thanks.
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 16, 2021
aziak2012:

The certification is cool and worth it for a lot of reasons. I can help you with level 1 and 2 materials as well as level 3 when am done with the exam by next month. If you want more info hit me on 08055234062. Have a blessed day.

Do you tutor?
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ikenna44: 1:45pm On Oct 16, 2021
So... Just because it has a low pass rate, it's better than Acca?! grin maybe people writing the exams are generally dull or their lecturers suck!

Acca covers all aspects of Accounting... Including finance! An Acca holder is well grounded in accounting literally... Cfa only knows finance. I've seen their materials and I can say it with my chest.. it's not all that!

Nigerians generally love hyping things that are not worth it. Even in europe... Acca is preferred to cfa. American is working overtime to align their syllabus with what Acca has... A large percentage of students writing cfa are from Nigeria... No other country is going crazy over cfa.

ThierryJay:

You are not really comparing CFA to ACCA are you? This cannot be real.

CFA has less than 30% average pass rate globally. ACCA typically gets up to 60% pass rate. Tells you which is more difficult.

You see someone with CFA and another with ACCA. Pray tell who do you think will be more highly sought after in the field of finance. Pls research before you answer me cos it's a no brainer.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by unclehp: 1:48pm On Oct 16, 2021
Please do... CFA is the most valued certification for a career path in Finance and Investment... It's better and classier than ICAN and ACCA

1 Like

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ikenna44: 1:48pm On Oct 16, 2021
If you want an accounting cert that's transferable... Do Acca!

If you already have Acca, don't waste your time and money on cfa. Switch to I.T immediately!

mysticgal:
Good morning or Good day,
The long and short of the story is, I want to take the CFA professional exams and I want to know if it is still relevant in the industry, Nigeria particularly and this is me considering the exchange rate currently, how profitable it would be for me in a long run professionally and if i were to leave Nigeria, is it recognized in the USA, Canada and all.

My fears and questions are:
1) I don’t want to spend money on a certificate that would not earn me more money.
2) I also don’t want a certificate that is not transferable
3) Would it be better to do an MBA than take this CFA course?

I would really appreciate if I could get answers

And please , could I get past questions and study papers and if possible link up with someone who has done the CFA exams so I ask some more questions.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by MAYOWAAK: 1:49pm On Oct 16, 2021
SIRTee15:
Is that not the exam for investment bankers?
The exam na die, I'm not even sure they have a centre in nigeria. It's also very expensive.
It's worth it provided u have the time and strength. It takes an average 4 yrs to complete the 3 level of exams.
Pls chop well b4 u commence the program. All the best.

There is a centre in Abuja.
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by eazzzy1(m): 1:49pm On Oct 16, 2021
ikenna44:
Cfa is rubbish... It's just one aspect of Accounting!

Acca covers all aspects of Accounting.

Its just the clout that comes with the money spent doing cfa that makes cfa look like it's one correct certification. The scope is so narrow... I'd pick Acca over cfa any day any time!

ACCA is useless in Canada, it’s value ends in the UK, North America has CPA. CFA is a finance certification not an Accounting certification, you can’t compare it to ACCA.

8 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by tasceige(m): 1:50pm On Oct 16, 2021
mysticgal:

2) I also don’t want a certificate that is not transferable

Trying to learn from your post, please what do you mean with "transferrable cert"
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ikenna44: 1:51pm On Oct 16, 2021
Smh... Cfa knows only finance...acca knows tax, audit, finance and you think cfa is better and classier because?

unclehp:
Please do... CFA is the most valued certification for a career path in Finance and Investment... It's better and classier than ICAN and ACCA

1 Like

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by Kobicove(m): 1:54pm On Oct 16, 2021
kingemaker:
It's worth it, but you need to ensure you're currently doing something along that career path. Certifications without experience isn't it at all

This is the best advise here so far!

5 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ThierryJay: 1:56pm On Oct 16, 2021
ikenna44:
So... Just because it has a low pass rate, it's better than Acca?! grin maybe people writing the exams are generally dull or their lecturers suck!

Acca covers all aspects of Accounting... Including finance! An Acca holder is well grounded in accounting literally... Cfa only knows finance. I've seen their materials and I can say it with my chest.. it's not all that!

Nigerians generally love hyping things that are not worth it. Even in europe... Acca is preferred to cfa. American is working overtime to align their syllabus with what Acca has... A large percentage of students writing cfa are from Nigeria... No other country is going crazy over cfa.

You are unbelievably ignorant. Na your type go talk say Waec is more valuable than Jamb.

I am an ACCA & ICAN holder, and I know very well about CFA cos I have a number of colleagues taking it. It is indisputable that CFA is more valuable than ACCA. With CFA, you have better leverage to increase your earnings exponentially than ACCA which a lot of people already have. ACCA is the base in finance. CFA is for the creme de la creme.

I'm done arguing with you over this topic cos it's like you are not exposed in the corporate finance world and is only talking from a theoretical point of view.

11 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ikenna44: 1:56pm On Oct 16, 2021
Liar

eazzzy1:

ACCA is useless in Canada, it’s value ends in the UK, North America has CPA. CFA is a finance certification not an Accounting certification, you can’t compare it to ACCA.

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ikenna44: 1:57pm On Oct 16, 2021
Ican holder... I might agree... But Acca... Nigga please!

ThierryJay:

You are unbelievably ignorant. Na your type go talk say Waec is more valuable than Jamb.

I am an ACCA & ICAN holder, and I know very well about CFA cos I have a number of colleagues taking it. It is indisputable that CFA is more valuable than ACCA. With CFA, you have better leverage to increase your earnings exponentially than ACCA which a lot of people already have. ACCA is the base in finance. CFA is the main sauce.

I'm done arguing with you over this topic cos it's like you are not exposed in the corporate finance world and is only talking from a theoretical point of view.
Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by airsaylongcome: 1:59pm On Oct 16, 2021
ikenna44:
Don't waste your time and money. Go for an I.T cert instead.

I don't get. Someone in a Career in Finance should just get up and do IT cert

3 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by Fabulouslouie(m): 2:01pm On Oct 16, 2021
mysticgal:

The influential person is for referral or reference purpose right? If yes, that’s not a problem.
If no, please what is the purpose of knowing such person.
And I plan on moving up the ladder at the capital market or the investment industry.

I have plans to do this too but my first objective is to have an mba in finance, get myself acquainted with people in the industry before doing this.

Whatever you do, sha pray for direction.

Shalom

2 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ikenna44: 2:02pm On Oct 16, 2021
Yeah... Basically!

Whatever you know in finance at this point is ok!

Cfa, cpa, aaa, baa, zea etc are just variations of whatever you already know! Trust me!

airsaylongcome:

I don't get. Someone in a Career in Finance should just get up and do IT cert

1 Like

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ThierryJay: 2:03pm On Oct 16, 2021
ikenna44:

I've worked several years in a big four firm. If you are knowledgeable you'd know what that entails.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by eazzzy1(m): 2:06pm On Oct 16, 2021
ikenna44:
Liar

SMH this is google bullshit, I live and work in Canada, I was doing the ACCA before I left Nigeria. The first person who told me it was a waste of time was my lecturer. ACCA and ICAN has equal levels in Canada, being that you have to convert them to CPA. No employer in Canada gives a shit about ACCA.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by airsaylongcome: 2:08pm On Oct 16, 2021
ikenna44:
Yeah... Basically!

Whatever you know in finance at this point is ok!

Cfa, cpa, aaa, baa, zea etc are just variations of whatever you already know! Trust me!

And you think all the MCSA, RHCSE, A+, OCP, CEH aren't enough? Or variations of the same thing? I still don't get why your knee jerk response is to say abandon your career and pick up a new career. That's like telling a doctor to go and become an engineer. Not even a pharmacist or nurse which is somewhat the same Clinical Medicine

2 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by BTTS(f): 2:09pm On Oct 16, 2021
It’s my dream to sit for the CFA exam and become a chartered financial analyst. Ever since I took part in their research challenge in 2019, I’ve been nursing that dream but finances has been a major challenge. I believe it, one day, I’ll have my charter.

P.S
Sit for the exam, it’s more than worth it. Besides Nigeria has the most CFA charter holders as well as the highest number of candidates sitting for the exam, that alone explains it relevance. Good luck to you

3 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by airsaylongcome: 2:10pm On Oct 16, 2021
ikenna44:

Lol! U probably need to get into the industry. Banking is littered with ICAN and ACCA. Get your CFA and see your career skyrocket.

7 Likes

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ikenna44: 2:12pm On Oct 16, 2021
Cap!

You worked with the big four and you think a certification that focuses on only finance is better than others that give you a well rounded knowledge of Accounting! Nigga please!!!

ThierryJay:

I've worked several years in a big four firm. If you are knowledgeable you'd know what that entails.

1 Like

Re: Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? by ThierryJay: 2:13pm On Oct 16, 2021
ikenna44:
Cap!

You worked with the big four and you think a certification that focuses on only finance is better than others that give you a well rounded knowledge of Accounting! Nigga please!!!

Guy go and sleep. This is like going back and forth with a kindergarten pupil.

In fact ICAN is better than CFA since it's also more well-rounded in the field of accounting.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? / Can A 35 Year Old Still Get Appointment Into Federal Civil Service / 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.