Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,401 members, 7,808,435 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? (2024 Views)

Limousine: Pastor Kumuyi, What They Expected Of Him Vs What He Came With (Photo) / The End Has Already Come Sooner Than We Expected. / Blind Faith in Jesus Christ ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Rocktation(f): 10:34am On Oct 17, 2021
To act purely on faith is good. But you know what I find to be even more interesting? To act on testmonies. In some sense, I could well be talking about the same thing. Simply put, the matter of faith goes deeper.

Faith could be blind on the one hand and on another, reasoned and informed. It suddenly occurred to me that the most of us, like to think that we do the blind faith thingy more often than the latter. But I hereby rain on your parade, as you really do not.... Ndo.

BUT what then is it, that uplifts this notion that our faith as Christians, really ought to be blind, without true understanding?

Abraham, who the bible references more than once and is one of the most obvious embodiments of faith, due to his pliancy when it came to sacrificing his dear Isaac, followed God’s order, using his powers of reason- not blind faith. Based on what he knew of God, he thought things through. He knew God’s nature as a faithful God and remembers God’s promise to raise up a nation through Isaac. Now, Isaac could very well be brought back from the dead to fulfill God's word, no? Abraham knew God could do that and so acted accordingly-- on a reasoned and informed faith.

Owning the ability to think and reason is not something to fear or remove yourself from. It is after all a gift that is both God given and affirmed by St. Paul, who encouraged us to ask God for wisdom which "He gives generously to all without finding fault". IMO, it can even be offensive then, if not put to use.

We might not always be opportune to see crystal clearly, the grand scheme of things and might be expected to roll with the tide, exercising faith, but that doesn't always mean it is blind. For we do that from a position of trust, based on all the knowledge we have of God that has been conveyed to us by teachers, personal and others' testimonies or experience series.

2 Likes

Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Dtruthspeaker: 12:29pm On Oct 17, 2021
Liars thought and taught that faith was blind meanwhile Faith is About Acting on Solid Information!

1 Like

Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by CAPTIVATOR: 12:33pm On Oct 17, 2021
Rocktation:
To act purely on faith is good. But you know what I find to be even more interesting? To act on testmonies. In some sense, I could well be talking about the same thing. Simply put, the matter of faith goes deeper.

Faith could be blind on the one hand and on another, reasoned and informed. It suddenly occurred to me that the most of us, like to think that we do the blind faith thingy more often than the latter. But I hereby rain on your parade, as you really do not.... Ndo.

BUT what then is it, that uplifts this notion that our faith as Christians, really ought to be blind, without true understanding?

Abraham, who the bible references more than once and is one of the most obvious embodiments of faith, due to his pliancy when it came to sacrificing his dear Isaac, followed God’s order, using his powers of reason- not blind faith. Based on what he knew of God, he thought things through. He knew God’s nature as a faithful God and remembers God’s promise to raise up a nation through Isaac. Now, Isaac could very well be brought back from the dead to fulfill God's word, no? Abraham knew God could do that and so acted accordingly-- on a reasoned and informed faith.

Owning the ability to think and reason is not something to fear or remove yourself from. It is after all a gift that is both God given and affirmed by St. Paul, who encouraged us to ask God for wisdom which "He gives generously to all without finding fault". IMO, it can even be offensive then, if not put to use.

We might not always be opportune to see crystal clearly, the grand scheme of things and might be expected to roll with the tide, exercising faith, but that doesn't always mean it is blind. For we do that from a position of trust, based on all the knowledge we have of God that have been conveyed to us by teachers, personal and others' testimonies or experience series.

Beautiful analysis. Xpecially the Abraham part
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by truespeak: 2:40pm On Oct 17, 2021
Faith comes from seeing, testing and knowing which brings Sure Knowledge and Confidence.

Blindness is the opposite of these things.

Thus, they do not and can not work together!
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by xproducer: 4:00pm On Oct 17, 2021
Rocktation:

We might not always be opportune to see crystal clearly, the grand scheme of things and might be expected to roll with the tide, exercising faith, but that doesn't always mean it is blind. For we do that from a position of trust, based on all the knowledge we have of God that have been conveyed to us by teachers, personal and others' testimonies or experience series.

+++

Indeed!

Hebrews Chapter 11 - "the faith chapter"!

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." - Hebrews 11:1

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." - Hebrews 11:6

"Now the just shall live by faith; But if anyone draws back, My soul has no pleasure in him.” - Hebrews 10:38

"For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.” - Romans 1:17

1 Like

Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Truvelisback(m): 10:32am On Oct 23, 2021
What is now the difference btw Blind faith and faith? I'm yet to understand ur long epistle. Do u refer the blind faith as doubt(unbelief) or a kind of foolish act people do?
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Workch: 10:38am On Oct 23, 2021
Abraham's act is not based on reason but also on blind faith.

The fact that God even came up with such a silly game questions his omniscient nature.
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Rocktation(f): 1:43am On Oct 31, 2021
Workch:
Abraham's act is not based on reason but also on blind faith.

The fact that God even came up with such a silly game questions his omniscient nature.

I don't know it all, but I very much doubt that Abraham would have agreed to go ahead and sacrifice his son, if he had been asked to, by just any body. Neither would the most of us. Believable stories told of God by his antecessors, outside documented and undocumented personal encounters with God, most certainly have had something to do with his compliance.
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Rocktation(f): 1:55am On Oct 31, 2021
Truvelisback:
What is now the difference btw Blind faith and faith? I'm yet to understand ur long epistle. Do u refer the blind faith as doubt(unbelief) or a kind of foolish act people do?

Is English your first language? angry
Lemme try again;
I'm saying-- Faith is an umbrella term for Blind Faith and Reasoned/Informed Faith...End of. From my human perspective, of course. Capeesh?

It is exactly as I have said it...Don't nitpick to make conversation or try to find imagined slights or connotations that are nonexistent.
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Karlovych: 2:11am On Oct 31, 2021
Rocktation:

I don't know it all, but I very much doubt that Abraham would have agreed to go ahead and sacrifice his son, if he had been asked to, by just any body. Neither would the most of us. Believable stories told of God by his antecessors, outside documented and undocumented personal encounters with God, most certainly have had something to do with his compliance.
Really? But when he commanded Saul to slaughter those he didn't like, Saul went ahead and did it leaving only some animals alive (which he was punished for). Was that also by faith?
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Rocktation(f): 2:31am On Oct 31, 2021
Karlovych:
Really? But when he commanded Saul to slaughter those he didn't like, Saul went ahead and did it leaving only some animals alive (which he was punished for). Was that also by faith?

The simple answer is No.
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Workch: 6:45am On Oct 31, 2021
Rocktation:

Its still blind faith, the same most Christians claim to have now.

Ps: No evidence that Abraham story happened
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Truvelisback(m): 7:28am On Oct 31, 2021
Rocktation:

Lemme try again;
I'm saying-- Faith is an umbrella term for Blind Faith and Reasoned/Informed Faith...End of. From my human perspective, of course. Capeesh?

It is exactly as I have said it...Don't nitpick to make conversation or try to find imagined slights or connotations that are nonexistent.
I did get what u explained. Alright, If i get u clearly, u are simply tell us what genuine faith is all abt. I.e Not by sight rather by insight.
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by AntiChristian: 7:37am On Oct 31, 2021
Hmmm
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by CrazyMan(m): 6:47pm On Nov 14, 2021
Rocktation:

We might not always be opportune to see crystal clearly, the grand scheme of things and might be expected to roll with the tide, exercising faith, but that doesn't always mean it is blind. For we do that from a position of trust, based on all the knowledge we have of God that has been conveyed to us by teachers, personal and others' testimonies or experience series.
You can only exercise blind Faith when you know God personally.

Abraham knew God personally, so it was very easy for him to exercise blind Faith cos he heard clearly from God.

Even in the Bible, most of the characters exercised their faith based on their working relationship with God.

Christians of today live their lives based on whatever their pastors tell them and not what they were able to hear from God based on their relationship with him.

That's why blind Faith these days usually lead to unproductive results, cos you're acting based on another man's instructions and not God's instructions.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by FalseProphet1(m): 1:47pm On Nov 15, 2021
Blind faith is the key to receiving from God, the sooner you start practicing it, the better for you.

This I have seen.

1 Like

Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:09pm On Nov 15, 2021
Truvelisback:
I did get what u explained. Alright, If i get u clearly, u are simply tell us what genuine faith is all abt. I.e Not by sight rather by insight.

Inside -Sight! grin
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Dtruthspeaker: 2:15pm On Nov 15, 2021
CrazyMan:

You can only exercise blind Faith when you know God personally.

Abraham knew God personally, so it was very easy for him to exercise blind Faith cos he heard clearly from God.

Even in the Bible, most of the characters exercised their faith based on their working relationship with God.

Christians of today live their lives based on whatever their pastors tell them and not what they were able to hear from God based on their relationship with him.

That's why blind Faith these days usually lead to unproductive results, cos you're acting based on another man's instructions and not God's instructions.

I do not know what you call blind faith but I surely see all the Knowledgees Abraham and Co had in which they acted in Obedience to God.

God has told us already, "my People perish because THEY DO NOT KNOW" (KNOWLEDGE).

Nothing like blind faith anywhere, but as the Bible has often said people are the ones who are BLIND.

So being blind, it is impossible for them to SEE THE FAITH (KNOWLEDGE) EXERCISED!
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Truvelisback(m): 2:56pm On Nov 15, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Inside -Sight! grin
Both mean the same.
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by CrazyMan(m): 8:58am On Nov 20, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

I do not know what you call blind faith but I surely see all the Knowledgees Abraham and Co had in which they acted in Obedience to God.

God has told us already, "my People perish because THEY DO NOT KNOW" (KNOWLEDGE).

Nothing like blind faith anywhere, but as the Bible has often said people are the ones who are BLIND.

So being blind, it is impossible for them to SEE THE FAITH (KNOWLEDGE) EXERCISED!
You obviously missed the point I was trying to make.

By following God's direct instructions like Abraham when God told him to leave his father's land, was a blind Faith to people around him, because he had no idea where he was leading them.

But it wasn't a blind Faith to him (Abraham) because he was following the direct instructions from God.

People around you might not understand certain actions you take cos they're blind to the path way God has prepared for you...where the problem lies is when you're exercising blind Faith on man's instructions eg. Your pastor or spiritual leader.

2 Likes

Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Dtruthspeaker: 9:08am On Nov 20, 2021
CrazyMan:

You obviously missed the point I was trying to make.

By following God's direct instructions like Abraham when God told him to leave his father's land, was a blind Faith to people around him, because he had no idea where he was leading them.

But it wasn't a blind Faith to him (Abraham) because he was following the direct instructions from God.

People around you might not understand certain actions you take cos they're blind to the path way God has prepared for you...where the problem lies is when you're exercising blind Faith on man's instructions eg. Your pastor or spiritual leader.

Okay, you mean people were blind to God's Plan over Abraham and would have been stopping Abraham from obeying God.

But Abraham, knew! I get it.
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by LordReed(m): 7:01pm On Nov 20, 2021
Rocktation:

How can you trust something that has no way to prove its reliability or in certain cases has been shown to be no different from natural processes?
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Rocktation(f): 8:32pm On Nov 20, 2021
LordReed:

How can you trust something that has no way to prove its reliability or in certain cases has been shown to be no different from natural processes?

God is Nature. He is the totality of existence itself. And His reliability is never in question. Perhaps only to those who are stubborn to acknowledge it. We can't always be bothered by such people now, can we?

Every aboki with him kettle.
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by LordReed(m): 8:49pm On Nov 20, 2021
Rocktation:

God is Nature. He is the totality of existence itself. And His reliability is never in question. Perhaps only to those who are stubborn to acknowledge it. We can't always be bothered by such people now, can we?

Every aboki with him kettle.

If god is nature why does nature need worship? Or belief any how?

Sure you don't need to be bothered by people who don't acknowledge your god as long as you don't bother us in return.
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by KnownUnknown: 9:21pm On Nov 20, 2021
LordReed:

Sure you don't need to be bothered by people who don't acknowledge your god as long as you don't bother us in return.

The most glaring problem with their “god is nature” nonsense is that they unwittingly exclude humans or things they find disagreeable about nature. Some include humans and say “god is the universe having a human experience” but when you ask if god has “virus experience”, they call YOU crazy!!!
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Rocktation(f): 9:39pm On Nov 20, 2021
LordReed:

God needs worship? Lolzz.
Really, I give it to people that respond to your scoffs. You lot are funny, walahi.

Do you, my man. I busy.

1 Like

Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by LordReed(m): 10:15pm On Nov 20, 2021
Rocktation:

God needs worship? Lolzz.
Really, I give it to people that respond to your scoffs. You lot are funny, walahi.

Do you, my man. I busy.

Ah it's news to me that your god doesn't need worship. Anyway enjoy your day of worship tomorrow for the god that doesn't need worship. LMFAO!
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by LordReed(m): 10:17pm On Nov 20, 2021
KnownUnknown:

The most glaring problem with their “god is nature” nonsense is that they unwittingly exclude humans or things they find disagreeable about nature. Some include humans and say “god is the universe having a human experience” but when you ask if god has “virus experience”, they call YOU crazy!!!

LMAO! I tell you the sheer entertainment value of listening to all these tall tales is what keeps me coming back.
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Feb 09, 2022
Rocktation:

Lemme try again;

Chai all this figurative expression.
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:15pm On Feb 09, 2022
LordReed:

The first time a plane flew and landed, most people did not trust it.

Same for walking on high sky walks.

But Trust comes from Seeing what happened to your neighbour and willingness to personally test and see.
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by Dtruthspeaker: 5:18pm On Feb 09, 2022
LordReed:

If god is nature why does nature need worship?...

Change of Post!

The topic is reliability and trust and not worship.
Re: Are We Expected To Exercise Blind Faith? by LordReed(m): 6:17pm On Feb 09, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Change of Post!

The topic is reliability and trust and not worship.

LordReed:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What’s Going To Happen Soon! Vision by Olav Rodge / . / Donald Trump(US Presidential Aspirant) Calls Jesus "A Loser"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.