Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,416 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate (3664 Views)

Results From The FCT Area Council Election (Yet To Be Confirmed By INEC) / Fani-kayode Responds To The 11yrs Legal Age For Sex In Nigeria Passed By Senate / Stella Oduah's CV Released By Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by desgiezd(m): 4:45pm On Jul 24, 2007
Imagine someone like Bode Agusto who has distinguished himself not confirmed by the senate for ministerial job. Who will get the job then, Bode George or Lamidi Adedibu?

http://www.thenewsng.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3158
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by soladavid(m): 4:53pm On Jul 24, 2007
why was he not confirmed?
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by doyin13(m): 5:24pm On Jul 24, 2007
Bode Agusto or Ebonku Abaku. Whateva the names they are all thieves.

He should have settled the ppl that matter well.
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by babaife(m): 8:14pm On Jul 24, 2007
in nigeria, we prefer to make thieves the custodians of our assets instead of proven men. agusto was a partner at price waterhousecoopers- an international consulting firm in nigeria. he is the chairman of agusto & co- a known rating company. he has the integrity to safeguard our assets but may be "KORO" will be picked. goodluck nigerians
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by laudate: 9:16pm On Jul 24, 2007
babaife:

in nigeria, we prefer to make thieves the custodians of our assets instead of proven men. agusto was a partner at price waterhousecoopers- an international consulting firm in nigeria. he is the chairman of agusto & co- a known rating company. he has the integrity to safeguard our assets but may be "KORO" will be picked. goodluck nigerians

When someone said OBJ had a deliberate policy of choosing the 3rd eleven among the Yoruba, to become ministers so that he could humiliate them and make their ethnic group look incompetent, I thought he was joking. Why would Fola Adeola who was one of the top guys that set up one of the best banks in Nigeria i.e. Guaranty Trust Bank, be fired from his job in one of the parastatals, under OBJ? Why was Mrs. Ojomo picked as Housing Minister under OBJ, instead of other more qualified architects and engineers from the South-West?

From what I can see, it seems the Senate & co. have bought into this ideology. Why would Bode Agusto a qualified accountant and finance expert, who managed the Debt Management Office efficiently, and has proven his mettle in the financial sector, be tturned down despite his competence? Anyway, let us wait & watch.
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by McKren(m): 2:09am On Jul 25, 2007
People should forget blame game and weep for this nation.

Bode Agusto was simply victimized for being brilliant at the screening. May be he will not subscribe to chop-I-chop.

This country is not a very serious Nation.

But no kidding why will Senators simply disqualify a ministerial nominee for undisclosed reasons. They must justify their actions in accordance with the constitution otherwise President Yar'adua should simply resend Bode Agusto's name to Senate.
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by danalyst(m): 7:19pm On Jul 25, 2007
i think agusto is not a politician. 2. why is it that those defending him are AC membrers in the house? he must have some undisclosed relationship with the AC. 3. KORO spent billions for the last gov election, he needs 'compensation". 4. agusto belong to Bode goerge camp, a camp whose strategy is not good enough to win election in lagos on THREE occassion.

notwithstanding, he is qualified to hold the office but for the afore mentioned reasons, he might just be advised to return back to AGUSTO & Co to keep nigerians abreast of the credit rating of our companies. in all, i wish him the best of luck in his future endeavour, cos I KNOW that YAR ADUA IS NOT BOLD ENOUGH TO RE-PRESENT HIM

regards
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by DisGuy: 7:35pm On Jul 25, 2007
the whole ministerial screening was a big joke, all they did was pat themselves in the back. In fact most of the nominees didn't answer any questions, those illiterate senators spoke for the candidate and it was as if they didn't eat breakfast " please mr chairman let this man/woman take a bow and go"
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by DisGuy: 8:04pm On Jul 25, 2007
Senator Abubakar Umar Gada (Sokoto East) s[b]aid Agusto was not cleared by the Senate because it was not the will of majority of Nigerians[/b]. He said: "The work of the Senate is to act by the popular wish of the people. We were convinced that it is not the opinion of majority of Nigerians that such a candidate should scale through." Gada further said that Agusto performed woefully as director general of the budget office under President Obasanjo.

"His performance when he was DG Budget was awful, to say the least. He was contemptuous of the National Assembly as a budget officer. Records are there to show that his performance, even on the floor of the Senate, I mean he was bold enough to say that the National Assembly’s financial autonomy is not important. You can imagine the level of contempt a nominee could hold against the National Assembly. You cannot be a minister without their approval and yet you are undermining them. The simple reason for his disqualification is contempt".

Other senators said poor implementation of national budgets was the main reason why the Senate refused to confirm Chief Agusto as minister. Other senators cited the fear that he would be loyal to the former President and may likely take instructions from him in regards to the implementation of some economic policies he initiated before leaving office.

Senator Bala Muhammad Duguri [ANPP, Bauchi] told Daily Trust that Bode Augusto was unfit to be minister as he had been frustrating the implementation of the national budgets and uses disparaging language on the National Assembly.

Duguri said, "Bode Agusto was dropped because he is unfit, not because he is intellectually unfit but because of his conduct, because of his bad antecedent, because of his repugnant attitude towards the implementation of the budget in the past eight years. He is somebody who has frustrated the National Assembly, somebody who has frustrated the ministries, departments and agencies in terms of budgetary implementation, and somebody who does not have respect for the Senate. His arrogance during the screening exercise was very evident, so most Senators found it untenable".

Duguri also said Bode Agusto’s unflinching loyalty to former President Obasanjo did not help matters. "Of course, one cannot be sure of his loyalty. Coming out as member of the economic team of General Obasanjo, there is likelihood his loyalty may not be with the President or with the nation. He may be more inclined towards satisfying the former President, running back to Ota Farm to take instructions within the frame work of what they have established as an economic team".

http://dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=899&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=1
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by McKren(m): 12:23pm On Jul 26, 2007
Yaradua must re-present Bode Agusto's name, democracy include telling people what they dont want to hear. Senators are simply hiding their medicrity behind arrogance.

If someone tells them their questions could be answered by an 8yr old, it simply means the questions are cheap and may be in future they should do some more background research so as to ask more credible questions.

If they can not say what section of the constitution disqualifies Agusto then they simply have no point, it is not their duty to determine whether a minister is humble or not, it is not even their duty to determine whether he distinguished himself in his previous job.
All they are required to do is whether he meets the constitutional requirements, which if he meets they must let him through whether they like his personality or not.

Our Senators are not democrats, they cant even take simple criticism.
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by Johnny(m): 1:14pm On Jul 26, 2007
People should forget blame game and weep for this nation.

Bode Agusto was simply victimized for being brilliant at the screening. May be he will not subscribe to chop-I-chop.

This country is not a very serious Nation.

Yes, he displayed astute brilliance at the screening, at least his command of the Queen's language and articulated answers to the questions put to him could testify to this. But I must say that I would have been GREATLY disapponted if the man was cleared by the senate. Reasons; The level of arrogance displayed by Mr Augusto was unspeakable. Standing before supposed Distinquished Senators to say that his eight-year old daughter would probably help him answer some of the questions that the Professionals, Elder statemen and Learned persons would put to him was a big slap on the face and image of the Senate. It was a calculated attempt to humiliate the Upper Legislative chamber. That was after he had said so much and praised his children who are 'doing well' academically in oversea's schools. I think, in our bid to display our intelligence and competence, we should be careful not to employ arrogance and disprespect for highly placed individuals. I congratulate the Senators for the laudable work done. Thank God, Augusto was OBJ's candidate, otherwise people would have put the blame on the old man.
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by McKren(m): 1:49pm On Jul 26, 2007
The last time I checked the constitution has not made it illegitimate for a minister's son to school abroad, if that will be part of the next constitutional reform I will love it wholeheartedly.

But for now saying that a nominee who qualified legally and constitutionally is not allowed to go through because he told the Senators that their questions were so cheap is not laudible.

They swore to defend the constitution even against their personal wish, If the constitution has not disqualified Agusto then the Senators putting their convenience over constitution is against the ethics of being a lawmaker.

Trust me if you do a background search on some of the approved Ministers, you might be shocked to realise that some have other Nationalities or some have not done the compulsory NYSC. Our Senators did not do a thorough job to defend the constitution all they did was to stop a man who proved to know what the bussiness of Governance should be about.

Ou Senators should bury their heads in shame, for not being able to accept criticism.
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by denex: 1:49pm On Jul 26, 2007
So this man could be that stupid?!
His stupidity started with him trying to play a two-faced game between the AC and the PDP. Someone who is not a politician trying to play politicians at the game of politics. Then let's even say that is forgiven, he still had the audacity to insult Senators on the floor of the House.

This man might be intelligent with his books, but is too stupid to become a Minister.

I am sure he's one of those who believe that OBJ is really the one running Nigeria. So because he's OBJ's man, he can talk rubbish and get his way.

I was supporting this Augusto initially but obviously, I was backing the wrong donkey.
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by narcissus(m): 11:57am On Jul 27, 2007
I like the guy Bode Agusto: very intelligent and commited to all he does. I can attest to this personally, worked with him for a bit. However, denex makes a lot of sense. Being book smart is not the only key for success in your endeavours, especially when it comes to things like public office and politics; your people skills, attitude etc count a lot. Do you know how many over qualified candidates fail to get jobs they apply for (they always scale the aptitude tests easily) simply beacuse of their terrible people skills and attitudes that are negative or are seen to appear so?
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by DisGuy: 12:12pm On Jul 27, 2007
true, he could have easily passed the phoney screening without insulting them then afterwards he can say how dumb most of those pot bellied fools are- anyway Lagos boy go always behave like Lagos boy cheesy

I think the govt will make him part of the economic team
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by StOla: 3:59pm On Oct 19, 2023
This should be a nice throwback Thursday topic, now that Bode Agusto has passed away.

CC:
Mynd44
Seun

1 Like

Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by yewit37486: 4:14pm On Oct 19, 2023
StOla:
This should be a nice throwback Thursday topic, now that Bode Agusto has passed away.

CC:
M.ynd44
S.eun

Of what use would it be to remind everyone he was turned down for a ministerial nomination when he has far more weighty accomplishments in comparison?
Re: Agusto, Lagos Ministerial Nominee Not Confirmed By Senate by StOla: 6:10pm On Oct 19, 2023
yewit37486:

Of what use would it be to remind everyone he was turned down for a ministerial nomination when he has far more weighty accomplishments in comparison?

Just a throwback to the dysfunction of some of our political institutions.

(1) (Reply)

Wallowing In Ignorance / Jonathan, Nwodo And Governors Celebrate Nigeria At 50 In London / Yoruba The Golden Bride Of Nigerian Politics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.