Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,319 members, 7,808,072 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School (30036 Views)

Government Day Secondary School Kaya, Zamfara In Pictures / Government Day Secondary School Daura Photos By Abiodun @felewire / SS2 Student Of Command Day Secondary School Flogged By Soldiers In Enugu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by Nobody: 10:27am On Oct 21, 2021
XXXXTENTACION:
And some foolish set of zombies will come to this forum and challenge people to not speak up against the government....
If the government was doing the right thing would they be any need for people to protest and complain...

lalasticlala pls move to frontpage for the necessary people to do the right thing... cool
Youth have a misplace priority, instead of ask government for good governance, education, road, water, security, youth are busy protesting against SARS, which SARS are they protesting against? the disband SARS ?The generation of youth are thieves, criminal, they don't have stand to ask government for anything.

1 Like

Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by BestMan001: 10:31am On Oct 21, 2021
This is NIGERIA.
Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by XXXXTENTACION: 11:01am On Oct 21, 2021
tiger28:
Am sure you kept quiet when Jonathan was President. I am not a fan of buhari by far but isn't convenient that most you all never complained when Jonathan was there?
So we should just sit down and watch while insecurity and poverty take over the land....
hmn such a brilliant brain... undecided
Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by XXXXTENTACION: 11:09am On Oct 21, 2021
ThankUJesus:

Youth have a misplace priority, instead of ask government for good governance, education, road, water, security, youth are busy protesting against SARS, which SARS are they protesting against? the disband SARS ?The generation of youth are thieves, criminal, they don't have stand to ask government for anything.
the youths should just keep quiet and watch the government take the wrong decisions...
very brilliant brain...
anyway let me ask. Have you ever in your life spent a day in the nigerian policemen cell...
or have you ever encountered police brutality before...

1 Like

Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by Lamasta(m): 11:26am On Oct 21, 2021
The school is an eyesore
Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by Rickmann: 11:34am On Oct 21, 2021
Agness7:
Yesterday was the first time I would be seeing my former secondary school in over two years since I relocated from my former area.
To say I was shocked with what is left of the school is an understatement, it was an eyesore.
No teachers, no chairs, I almost shed tears.
Bushes has almost taken over the school, major part of the roof has been ruined, all the buildings are dilapidated.
Students sits on bare floor to learn, and it's a shame I learnt there are no teachers in the school that parents now employ and pay teachers through community efforts.
What is edo state govt doing? We didn't vote you guys to destroy our system.

As an Ex- commando as well,i was made to understand that all command secondary schools were situated in Army barracks or cantonments..its quite shocking to see this.
Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by NickD(m): 12:22pm On Oct 21, 2021
Deadlytruth:
You seem to have forgotten that while he was in APC, the APC family in Edo State was disatisfied with his performance and beginning from his very first year in office began to publicly discredit his style and quality of governance but the PDP argued that he was doing excellently well and that APC was complaining because he wasn't sharing money hence a Tinubu vs Ambode situation should be disallowed in Edo. So the monicker you quoted is perfectly in order. Meanwhile Lagos is growing in leaps and bounds infrastructure wise.
Comparing Edo to Lagos in terms of infrastructure is like comparing the knowledge of a Professor to that of a University graduate. Which state is doing better than Lagos with respect to that? and we both know why it's that way. Yes, he might have "unperformed" as a governor but bringing in party affiliations is what I don't support. Both parties are same sides of the same coin. They both have performing governors and those that are not performing.
Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by aimmoney9: 12:25pm On Oct 21, 2021
Your secondary school has turned to uncompleted building for producing unwanted pregnancy... grin
What do you think that improvised bench is for... grin grin grin
Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by dalass(f): 12:50pm On Oct 21, 2021
Obamed:

You provide light for yourself, provide water for yourself, provide security for yourself, fund your own private education yourself...

From the meagre sum some employees pay you, they deduct government tax... Govt tax you stamp duty, vat and other levies at the local, state and federal level.

What is the essence of having a government if it cannot the most basic needs of a society which is good public education?

It's foolishness to mention Obama and any Nigerian public figure in the same sentence. Obama lives in a society where things work at least 70%.

Tell me one thing that is working up to 30% correctly in Nigeria... What kind of society produces 1 successful person and 10,000 failed persons and expects progress?

Since you're indirectly saying we should shoulder our burden, then you should equally call for a scrapping of the government.

Successful countries like Germany, USA, France, China, Austria, Canada never joke with the quality of their public education. The government ensures the quality of public education is top notch so as to ensure the quality of manpower in the country in future remains very high.

In Nigeria, we have people like you calling for government to abandon its duties.

It's such a pity we have the likes of you roaming the streets of this contraption called Nigeria.

I'm very sure if the likes of you become governor or president, you'll embezzle the money meant to fund public education while calling on Old Students Association to gather funds to go employ teachers and repair their decaying schools.

May sense fall on you.

Since you're holding government responsible. There is no need to provide water, security, light, healthcare for yourself... Anytime you're in need of these basic needs. Take your Governor President, LGA Chairman to court because you are paying tax...VAT etc to provide them for you! It is their responsibility! grin

If you have not charged government to do their basic responsibilty towards you, you are now saying those same people will provide for a school where they have no interest
Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by Rainer131(f): 1:53pm On Oct 21, 2021
cry
Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by Deadlytruth(m): 2:50pm On Oct 21, 2021
NickD:

Comparing Edo to Lagos in terms of infrastructure is like comparing the knowledge of a Professor to that of a University graduate. Which state is doing better than Lagos with respect to that? and we both know why it's that way. Yes, he might have "unperformed" as a governor but bringing in party affiliations is what I don't support. Both parties are same sides of the same coin. They both have performing governors and those that are not performing.

Yes you have a point there in your first paragraph. We all know that Lagos is far richer than many states hence we should naturally expect more infrastructural development there than any other state. However the issue here is not just comparison of the funds available to Lagos and that available to Edo, but about whether the ratio of Available revenue to work done in Lagos is same as ratio of available revenue to ratio of work done in Edo. Lagos budget is about six times that of Edo hence by equitable standards we should expect to see in Edo at least one sixth of what obtains in Lagos. But can you beat your chest and say that the current rate of infrastructural work in Edo is anything near one sixth that in Lagos at present? It is not even up to ⅒ talkless of ⅙.
During his predecessors time the the ratio of work to revenue in Edo State was quite proportionate to that in Lagos. By our laws, a governor without a cabinet cannot award contracts worth more than N100m at a time. Edo State has spent virtually the whole of this year without a cabinet meaning that this year's budget is largely unaccounted for, and this reflects in the relative dearth of infrastructural projects currently in the state.
We can't remove party issue from this because it was a war between two parties back then with each claiming to be speaking the truth in pursuit of genuine public interest, and one is vindicated now while the other one is proven wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by Tomilola360: 4:13pm On Oct 21, 2021
ceejay10:
What should we do now? Contribute money to renovate it? You should go ask the school board some questions. E no concern Nairaland. Itchy fingers.

it's buharis fault pls.
Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by Tomahawk99(m): 5:01pm On Oct 21, 2021
neyobills:

Are you sure this is a command school because Command schools are administered by NAECS Nigerian Army Educational corps and there is no way any command in Nigeria would be in this state,Commands are party FG and NA funded too so I’m sure it can’t be this bad,is this solely a public school or a NA command school?
Most of these schools are now administered by the state government. I don't know the present arrangement but most of their funding comes from the government.
Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by sureteeboy(m): 6:06pm On Oct 21, 2021
Obamed:

You provide light for yourself, provide water for yourself, provide security for yourself, fund your own private education yourself...

From the meagre sum some employees pay you, they deduct government tax... Govt tax you stamp duty, vat and other levies at the local, state and federal level.

What is the essence of having a government if it cannot the most basic needs of a society which is good public education?

It's foolishness to mention Obama and any Nigerian public figure in the same sentence. Obama lives in a society where things work at least 70%.

Tell me one thing that is working up to 30% correctly in Nigeria... What kind of society produces 1 successful person and 10,000 failed persons and expects progress?

Since you're indirectly saying we should shoulder our burden, then you should equally call for a scrapping of the government.

Successful countries like Germany, USA, France, China, Austria, Canada never joke with the quality of their public education. The government ensures the quality of public education is top notch so as to ensure the quality of manpower in the country in future remains very high.

In Nigeria, we have people like you calling for government to abandon its duties.

It's such a pity we have the likes of you roaming the streets of this contraption called Nigeria.

I'm very sure if the likes of you become governor or president, you'll embezzle the money meant to fund public education while calling on Old Students Association to gather funds to go employ teachers and repair their decaying schools.

May sense fall on you.
God bless you for this piece. That other post is extremely infuriating that I was surprised to see it has 7 likes. It's not out of place if old students decide to contribute to the development of their school, but why make it seem it's entirely their responsibility?
Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by sureteeboy(m): 6:23pm On Oct 21, 2021
dalass:

Since you're holding government responsible. There is no need to provide water, security, light, healthcare for yourself... Anytime you're in need of these basic needs. Take your Governor President, LGA Chairman to court because you are paying tax...VAT etc to provide them for you! It is their responsibility! grin

If you have not charged government to do their basic responsibilty towards you, you are now saying those same people will provide for a school where they have no interest
Nigerians are so accustomed to mediocrity and suffering that they don't even understand their rights anymore.
Which of those things listed in the attached picture does the government provide? And I can't seriously fathom why someone will be rush to the government's defense when they're being called out for failing to perform one of their responsibilities.

Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by jamoyakz: 8:57pm On Oct 21, 2021
Army day secondary school ikpoba hill.
I resisted my wassce examination in this school in 2006 back then the school was already in a deplorable state.
Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by dalass(f): 9:18pm On Oct 21, 2021
sureteeboy:

Nigerians are so accustomed to mediocrity and suffering that they don't even understand their rights anymore.
Which of those things listed in the attached picture does the government provide? And I can't seriously fathom why someone will be rush to the government's defense when they're being called out for failing to perform one of their responsibilities.

Since you know your rights. What have you done to claim those rights? I mean practical steps Everyone is shouting for governments to fix schools. Have they listened to you

They only come on Nairaland to rant and express anger and unnecessary frustration. Instead of doing whatever they could to help the helpless students anyhow they can....

I have not changed my stance. Giving back to our alma mater is important. Let's help the youths. Do what you can. The government is inept and they don't do Nada....

. I will never wait for someone who isn't reliable to help me to do anything

1 Like

Re: Army day secondary school , Benin: I Almost Cried When I Visited My Old School by Born2Breed(f): 5:34am On Oct 22, 2021
Agness7:
you can see pics of chairs been donated by corporate individuals, I learnt alumni and parents gather money to pay employ teachers, isn't that enough? Are they supposed to do everything for the state govt when they are even struggling to feed themselves?

Our government are irresponsible, and almost useless and that is the fact.

Estate/communities buy their transformers,fix their drainage system,fix their roads and individuals make provision for their portable water ,that's how useless our government has become. We must result to self help to survive in this country.

The question is what have you done for your alma mata?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

A Nigerian Medical Student In The Philippines Gives His First Tedx Talk.. / New Education System In Nigeria: 9-3-4 / Student Runs Around In Wild Excitement After Seeing His Results (Pics/Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.